Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

oklahoma cash 5 is a joke

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 years ago by okmarc.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
LottoVantage's avatar - BRITIS 3.GIF
Southeastern Ohio
United States
Member #13850
April 16, 2005
783 Posts
Posted: September 3, 2006, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

Since a ticket cost $1, the state would argue that a free QP is the equivalent of $1.  But in reality, the lowest cash prize the state pays is $10 for a match3 with the odds of winning of 1:81.1 which means one would need 81 of these free QP to earn $10 cash which means a free QP costs the state about 12¢ in real cash.

Damn, I've got to put on my thinking hat!! 12¢ equals/costs what??

Oklahoma
    United States
    Member #45345
    August 19, 2006
    23 Posts
    Posted: September 3, 2006, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

I appreciate the many comments, pro and con, about the new Oklahoma Cash 5 game. The best way to learn is to listen to experienced players from states that have had the lottery a long time.

Lottery commissioner Jim Scroggins came here from the Missouri Lottery. I notice that Missouri has a game called the Show Me 5 Paydown. It is played every day and the top prize is $50,000 taxes paid. 

The Missouri Show Me 5 Paydown is a 5/44 game, while the Oklahoma Cash 5 is a 5/36 game. A lower top prize ($25,000 taxes paid) with the Cash 5 but much better odds.

Cash 5 may not be perfect, but it's great to have another game to play along with Powerball and Oklahoma Pick 3.  

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19825 Posts
      Posted: September 3, 2006, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

RJOh -

OK pays out the $25K "tax free". In the fine print on the OK Lottery website the value of the prize is fixed at $35,211, the amount quoted in my table, which is the amount necessary for the net prize after average federal and state taxes have been withheld.

Thanks for the correction, I'm surprised they printed that amount in big letter rather than its value before taxes as other states do.  They must be trying something new in lottery advertisement, truth.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23262 Posts
        Posted: September 3, 2006, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

Since a ticket cost $1, the state would argue that a free QP is the equivalent of $1.  But in reality, the lowest cash prize the state pays is $10 for a match3 with the odds of winning of 1:81.1 which means one would need 81 of these free QP to earn $10 cash which means a free QP costs the state about 12¢ in real cash.

Yeah, but if the QP wins the jackpot, then that 2 of 5 winner costs the state $35,210 in real cash.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: September 3, 2006, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, but if the QP wins the jackpot, then that 2 of 5 winner costs the state $35,210 in real cash.

True, but the odds of that happening are 1:376992 which mean they will likely have given out 376,992 free QPs with odds of getting one being 1:8 means they will have likely sold $3,015,936 worth of losing tickets before that happens.  That's a deal the state can well afford.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

johnph77's avatar - avatar
            CA
            United States
            Member #2987
            December 10, 2003
            832 Posts
            Posted: September 3, 2006, 4:35 pm - IP Logged

Todd -

Yes, the news article in LP mentions the larger amount. However, on the OK Lottery website, the $35,211 amount is displayed in something like 4pt agate, while the $25,000 TAX FREE is displayed as the actual jackpot. I try to go to the horse's mouth, so to speak, before I post anything regarding payouts on my website.

RJOh -

I've always read your posts with interest whether I disagree with the content or not - you put some thought behind them. I'm not always right, either.

Todd, RJOh -

If the tenor of my earlier reply seemed rather harsh, I apologize - I was having a bad hair moment. I probably should have toned it down a little. I certainly didn't want to sound frosty and supercilious.

JimmySand9 -

The information on the charts deal with the return to the bettor only - not with what it costs the jurisdiction or organization operating the game to issue the ticket. A free game is a free game, and, in this instance, is $1.00 less out of the bettor's pocket for the opportunity to play. Using that sort of logic, it costs each bettor an average of $0.4585 per ticket to play, since the rest is returned in prizes - but it costs you $1.00.

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

LeeJay's avatar - Lottery-022.jpg
              oklahoma
              United States
              Member #46226
              September 5, 2006
              5 Posts
              Posted: September 5, 2006, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

Big Smile  I just stumbled onto this site by chance & I am glad I did.

I have picked up some good info here on how to gamble away some of my money on the lotto.

I bought a cash five QP ticket just for the heck of it with no thought of the odds or which numbers might come up.    I see I have some home work to do       Type       The  first drawing is tonight , wish me luck!!!!! 

This is a cool site, I'm sure I am going to enjoy it a lot.   See Ya!                   

oklahoma
                United States
                Member #46226
                September 5, 2006
                5 Posts
                Posted: September 5, 2006, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

Cool  I just checked my numbers for the cash 5 & I won a free ticket

11 & 27 hit! 

maybe next time.    later all.

wreakshavok777's avatar - enzyte thumb.jpg
                  oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #12313
                  March 10, 2005
                  165 Posts
                  Posted: September 5, 2006, 11:15 pm - IP Logged

Well the first cash 5 draw in the books and I won the "Famous" 2of 5 free quick pickThudMaybe I'll cash in on todd,s theory and win it all with free ticket!

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #46226
                    September 5, 2006
                    5 Posts
                    Posted: September 7, 2006, 12:16 am - IP Logged

the list of winners for the first drawing,  I wonder  how long it will be before I hit the jackpot? LOL

* Prizes paid information listed below reflects Oklahoma Cash 5 prizes only.

Draw Date: 09/05/2006

Numbers MatchedOklahoma Cash 5
                    Five Balls - $25,000 Taxes Paid0
                    Four Balls - $50033
                    Three Balls - $10 1,065
                    Two Balls - Free Ticket ( Easy Pick )10,981
                    Total Winners: 12,079

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: September 7, 2006, 6:20 pm - IP Logged

Seeing that there was a total of just over 12,000 winners (including free plays), with the overall odds, the estimated total population of Oklahoma at over 3 million, and the fact that the game is twice a week to start, it doesn't seem to have a good beginning saleswise. Maybe the holiday weekend had something to do with it.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10351 Posts
                        Posted: September 8, 2006, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Just as an FYI and a comparison, the Illinois Little Lotto ( 5/39, progressive jp) jackpot tonight is $510,000. 

It has been over $1,000,000 twice that I can think of.

oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #46226
                          September 5, 2006
                          5 Posts
                          Posted: September 10, 2006, 2:12 am - IP Logged
                          HOW TO WIN LITTLE LOTTO

CHANCES

PRIZE

FIRST PRIZE:1:575,757$100,000
                          starting jackpot
                          Match all five numbers in one game grid   
                          SECOND PRIZE:1:3,387$100
                          Match four winning numbers in one game grid.   
                          THIRD PRIZE:1:103$10
                          Match any three winning numbers in one game grid.   
                          FOURTH PRIZE:1:10$1
                          Match any two winning numbers in one game grid.   
                          OVERALL CHANCES OF WINNING A PRIZE1:9 
                            MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                            Beautiful Florida
                            United States
                            Member #5709
                            July 18, 2004
                            20110 Posts
                            Posted: September 10, 2006, 8:22 am - IP Logged

Geez, everyone needs to tone it down against Okie. They are just getting started, just like North Carolina is. I agree that the way it's set-up now seems way out of context compared to a lot of other states.

Give it time, it will change for the better when the State see's that the market for this game is declining and starts to take a deeper look into why?

I've seen it happen before and I'm sure it will happen again.

Good luck Oklahoma... 

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #45345
                              August 19, 2006
                              23 Posts
                              Posted: September 10, 2006, 10:05 am - IP Logged

Seeing that there was a total of just over 12,000 winners (including free plays), with the overall odds, the estimated total population of Oklahoma at over 3 million, and the fact that the game is twice a week to start, it doesn't seem to have a good beginning saleswise. Maybe the holiday weekend had something to do with it.

The Cash 5 game also has not received as much publicity as the Pick 3 and Powerball did when they began in Oklahoma, especially in some of the more rural areas. The same newspaper that carried the "Did the Oklahoma Lottery Break Its Promise?" editorial (Lottery Post, August 18, 2006) has not carried the results of the first two Cash 5 drawings, and as of September 10 have not published any story or article about the Cash 5.

Both the Tulsa World and The Daily Oklahoman (Oklahoma City) published articles announcing the start of the Cash 5, and have published the results of the drawings. And of course the Lottery has run some television commercials about the new game.