Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Supercomputers & the lotto....Part2..

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 10 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Honduras
Member #20982
August 29, 2005
4715 Posts
Posted: September 7, 2006, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

I know i raised the question whether a supercomputer will in the future be able to crack the lotto...After thoughtfull consideration, i can only conclude that soon in the future (not far anyways) a supercomputer will crack the lotto. It will crack pick6 (1-49), Win for Life pick6 (1-42), pick5, etc...I don't think keno...

Why? For example i am looking at the Earth simulator and the job that this computer is made to do is unimaginable, I mean trying to simulate events happening at once in the world all at once by "quantity" is incredible..Doing such a job, relies on taking into consideration so many "variables" something the lottery lacks. The lottery only relies on a set amount of variables (if it has any), while the earth simulator relies on plenty of variables...Comparing a the job this supercomputer does with a pick6(1-49), there is no comparison...

I wrote this to state that: eventually someone is going to use a supercomputer or supercomputers will have the ability to crack the lotto...When i say cracking the lotto i mean, getting the second prize of Win for Life, which pays 52,000 for 1 year, getting lots of 3of 4 for Ky Cash ball wich pay 50.00 each, and getting first prize for any pick6...

Maryland
    United States
    Member #35590
    March 20, 2006
    185 Posts
    Posted: September 7, 2006, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

Anyone can pick the lotto numbers...you don't need a super computer.....the problem is it would not be financially beneficial.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19821 Posts
      Posted: September 7, 2006, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

Before a supercomputer can do any task someone has to write a set of instructions to do it same as with a home computer.

The task or picking a group of combinations with the winning combination in any lottery has already been defined and solved, but lottery payouts are designed to make it impractical to try.  The average home computer can print out all the possible combinations of any lottery in less than five hours, but it's not practical to play them all.

If you are saying that a supercomputer will be able to pick a smaller group of combinations that will alway win more than it cost to play them than that's something different.  If anyone knew how to accomplish that task, they probably could do it on a home computer because most jackpot games have 3-4 days between drawings and most daily games don't pay enough to cover the use of a supercomputer on a daily basis.

If you're trying to do it then West Virgina Cash25 is a good games to start working with.  Good luck.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Jimiam's avatar - ICONATOR 4af8c649273bc68ca3f95ed9dd755e65.jpg

United States
        Member #39406
        May 15, 2006
        287 Posts
        Posted: September 7, 2006, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Pardon me, anyone been smoking too much pot. For some reason this topic seems kind of childish to me. No worries, doesn't bother me and anyone can post what they like. Just some of these topics seem out of left field.

Jimiam 

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8360 Posts
          Posted: September 7, 2006, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

I know i raised the question whether a supercomputer will in the future be able to crack the lotto...After thoughtfull consideration, i can only conclude that soon in the future (not far anyways) a supercomputer will crack the lotto. It will crack pick6 (1-49), Win for Life pick6 (1-42), pick5, etc...I don't think keno...

Why? For example i am looking at the Earth simulator and the job that this computer is made to do is unimaginable, I mean trying to simulate events happening at once in the world all at once by "quantity" is incredible..Doing such a job, relies on taking into consideration so many "variables" something the lottery lacks. The lottery only relies on a set amount of variables (if it has any), while the earth simulator relies on plenty of variables...Comparing a the job this supercomputer does with a pick6(1-49), there is no comparison...

I wrote this to state that: eventually someone is going to use a supercomputer or supercomputers will have the ability to crack the lotto...When i say cracking the lotto i mean, getting the second prize of Win for Life, which pays 52,000 for 1 year, getting lots of 3of 4 for Ky Cash ball wich pay 50.00 each, and getting first prize for any pick6...

supercomputers have already been used the men at nassa worked a program to produce all the combinations for mega mil or power ball.

but you don't need a super computer to do it the math coprocessor on your computer can do it too.

the problem is having enough bucks to buy all the combinations and finding someone that would let you do it. (which they woln't)

supposed you did buy all the winning combinations for a huge jackpot and had to split it with a few other people after taxes you might end up in the poor house. (take a huge loss)

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: September 7, 2006, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

What I was saying is a supercomputer can go through all millions of combinations of a particular game in 1 second, it could backtrack combinations and specific type of combinations that will have specific kinds of numbers all in 1 second, something the home computer may take a long while...

If you could hit Megamillions 5 times with a supercomputer, it could cover the cost of a supercomputer..Assuming that the average jackpot of Mega million is between 20 and 40 million.(since nobody hits it all the time)..There are smaller supercomputers that cost around 100 million...

Another thing I was looking at that a supercomputer could do, was to simulate the trajectory of balls colliding on the lotto machine and maybe if lucky select a winner (don't know if it will work, but is possible)...

Plus there are things that i see i wish lotto softwares did and they don't, and a supercomputer could have more room to sufficiently go through specific combinations...I don't know but i see each combination of a pick6 game been in order, been in rank...

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8360 Posts
              Posted: September 7, 2006, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

What I was saying is a supercomputer can go through all millions of combinations of a particular game in 1 second, it could backtrack combinations and specific type of combinations that will have specific kinds of numbers all in 1 second, something the home computer may take a long while...

If you could hit Megamillions 5 times with a supercomputer, it could cover the cost of a supercomputer..Assuming that the average jackpot of Mega million is between 20 and 40 million.(since nobody hits it all the time)..There are smaller supercomputers that cost around 100 million...

Another thing I was looking at that a supercomputer could do, was to simulate the trajectory of balls colliding on the lotto machine and maybe if lucky select a winner (don't know if it will work, but is possible)...

Plus there are things that i see i wish lotto softwares did and they don't, and a supercomputer could have more room to sufficiently go through specific combinations...I don't know but i see each combination of a pick6 game been in order, been in rank...

your talking science fiction here a good plot for a movie maybe. in the real world the computer doesn't know any more than the rest of us what balls will be drawn next.
              of course software programs can give probability stats. And any home pc can do that. You don't need a super computer to pick lottery numbers You need LUCK.
                NASHVILLE, TENN
                United States
                Member #33372
                February 20, 2006
                1044 Posts
                Posted: September 8, 2006, 12:27 am - IP Logged

Before a supercomputer can do any task someone has to write a set of instructions to do it same as with a home computer.

The task or picking a group of combinations with the winning combination in any lottery has already been defined and solved, but lottery payouts are designed to make it impractical to try.  The average home computer can print out all the possible combinations of any lottery in less than five hours, but it's not practical to play them all.

If you are saying that a supercomputer will be able to pick a smaller group of combinations that will alway win more than it cost to play them than that's something different.  If anyone knew how to accomplish that task, they probably could do it on a home computer because most jackpot games have 3-4 days between drawings and most daily games don't pay enough to cover the use of a supercomputer on a daily basis.

If you're trying to do it then West Virgina Cash25 is a good games to start working with.  Good luck.

I, for one, wish I had access to a supercomputer.  Right now I am using two computers, both of them running the same program.  Even with two computers ( one a 2.0 GHz and the other 2.8 GHz)I can only take a small snap shot of the information I would like to have.

I work from 11 pm Monday night until 6pm Wednesday night running various parameters (I do sleep, tho) and then take my "best shot".

If I had a supercomputer, I could run all the parameters within minutes.  Then I could make a more S.W.A.G.  With all the information at my finger tips I know for a fact I would lose much more quickly and easily.  But I would lose with more confidence than I presently do.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19821 Posts
                  Posted: September 8, 2006, 12:49 am - IP Logged

Most lottery programs results are *SWAG regardless the amount of time spent coming up with them or else there would be some players winning lotteries several times a year.

*Scientific Wild A.. Guess

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                    Member #41383
                    June 16, 2006
                    1969 Posts
                    Posted: September 8, 2006, 2:12 am - IP Logged

First, do you REALLY THINK this has not already been tried on a 'supercomputer' such as a Cray or whatever else ?  You can bet your behind somebody somewhere has tried it in their spare time, the possible windfall makes trying this on a SC unavoidable.

Second, to compare what a supercomputer can do with the earth, weather, whatever else, vs. choosing random numbers just won't happen.

The weather isn't random, it has predictability, with jetstreams, hot/cold air masses, tropical depressions, water tempeatures, things easily tracked.  Aside from the tallest structure around, can you predict what the very next lighning bolt will hit ?  I didn't think so.

Now, if the lottery numbers were selected by a computer, I'd side with you, but they are not, that's a BIG difference. 

Tracking numbers throughout historical games is useless as they change ballsets and ball machines once in awhile, that history is ruled irrelevent once those have been changed out, and on top of that, they use different ballsets and ball machines for every drawing. If they just used ONE ballset from day one, and one machine from day one, then I MIGHT side with you a little bit, but not much. 

NASHVILLE, TENN
                      United States
                      Member #33372
                      February 20, 2006
                      1044 Posts
                      Posted: September 8, 2006, 5:10 am - IP Logged

First, do you REALLY THINK this has not already been tried on a 'supercomputer' such as a Cray or whatever else ?  You can bet your behind somebody somewhere has tried it in their spare time, the possible windfall makes trying this on a SC unavoidable.

Second, to compare what a supercomputer can do with the earth, weather, whatever else, vs. choosing random numbers just won't happen.

The weather isn't random, it has predictability, with jetstreams, hot/cold air masses, tropical depressions, water tempeatures, things easily tracked.  Aside from the tallest structure around, can you predict what the very next lighning bolt will hit ?  I didn't think so.

Now, if the lottery numbers were selected by a computer, I'd side with you, but they are not, that's a BIG difference. 

Tracking numbers throughout historical games is useless as they change ballsets and ball machines once in awhile, that history is ruled irrelevent once those have been changed out, and on top of that, they use different ballsets and ball machines for every drawing. If they just used ONE ballset from day one, and one machine from day one, then I MIGHT side with you a little bit, but not much. 

I believe lottories have predictability too. 

There are patterns.  These patterns repeat from one draw to the next.  Sometimes they trend and will run for several draws.

One such trend is the sum of the 5 numbers.  If you wanted to know all the number combinations that sum to 190, only a computer can do that with any degree of perfection.

Bring me a suprcomputer and I will win the lotto within six months playing no more than $30 per week.  And if you believe that I have some prime real estate in downtown Kabul I will sell you.  LOL

Honduras
                        Member #20982
                        August 29, 2005
                        4715 Posts
                        Posted: September 8, 2006, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

guesser:

I don't think someone has tried it on a supercomputer just yet. A supercomputer doesn't cost 10,000 dollars, I decent one cost like 80 million dollars plus maintenance..But i believe soon they will do it..

And about the earth weather, is not just the earth weather..Yes the weather has predictability but to a certain extent..and you can compare the weather of a country with the global weather, which is what i think you are doing...Is not only about the weather but about reactions going on on small and large scales..And reactions are hard to track...If the wrong about of certain particles/solutions don't react properly with the right amount of other particles then the entire global system changes my a fraction of a percent...And that is "extremely" hard to follow..And you are right you can't compare lottery number games with what the earth simulator does because what the earth simulator does is extremely/infinitesimally hard and surpasses trying to figure out what the next numbers are going to be...You are talking about simulating things to the molecular level...It is mind boggling..

Also, I know that lotto numbers are not selected from a computer but a machine, but it doesn't matter, believe me, plus a wheel acts like a fishing net, trapping everything withing its content and that overules wether is a machine or a computer...

What you said:  

"Tracking numbers throughout historical games is useless as they change ballsets and ball machines once in awhile, that history is ruled irrelevent once those have been changed out, and on top of that, they use different ballsets and ball machines for every drawing. If they just used ONE ballset from day one, and one machine from day one, then I MIGHT side with you a little bit, but not much." 

ON  that one i totally agree with you...

"If you think about it, the stock market and taxes are in a way  a form of lottery..."

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: September 9, 2006, 12:25 am - IP Logged

I didn't say someone would go buy one, stick it in their basement, and run cycles on it.

I'm saying you can bet your patutty a 'scientist' or a 'computer person' somewhere has access to one, I did 23 years ago, but didn't do anything like this on it.

And as far as the weather goes, if you compare it to the lottery, then it's either raining, or it's not, it's either windy or it's not, or it's snowing or it's not.   What I mean is, a ball doesn't hit because it 'halfway' hit, it's like being pregnant - you either are, or you are not.  NOT arguing, just trying to explain where I am coming from.

The high temp for here this summer was like 103 - I'll bet you any amount that in January it won't be 103 here.  I know that statement makes NO sense to some, but it might to others.  Then again, maybe not.

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                            Member #9517
                            December 10, 2004
                            1272 Posts
                            Posted: September 9, 2006, 8:11 am - IP Logged

Allthough I would like to think a supercomputer one day will be able to crack the lottery code, I am skeptical enough to say a supercomputer will never be able to do it good enough.

The weakest link as always will be the human programming the machine. Then there's the possibility it's just not possible to crack the code with any computers ever.

As posted earlier in a thread in the mathematics forum:

Perhaps several methods must be implemented at the same time and used together in a custom built software like this:

• predictions of physical behavior of the lottery balls

• A.I, genetical programming or neural networks to predict the next six lottery balls

• Hot & Cold number predictions/statistics
                            • Statistical prediction methods.

• Matemathical methods (this one added today)
                            One method might not be enough. What I would like to do is merge many methods and pick the best numbers from each of the methods.
                              four4me's avatar - gate1
                              MD
                              United States
                              Member #1701
                              June 18, 2003
                              8360 Posts
                              Posted: September 9, 2006, 11:43 am - IP Logged

lets say you had 100,000 dollars to spend on every draw for mega or power ball and you had a computer select the numbers you would play on those tickets. Based on every conceivable scenario. the odds are still against the computer selecting the numbers that might win. see the computer can't see the outcome of the drawing no more than we can.

the computer can sort through the numbers that have been drawn and the ones that haven't but that doesn't mean that in the 100,000 picks the computer might select that it will generate the ticket with the winning combinations. Here's why the drawing might contain numbers that have already been drawn which it may have filtered out.

there are just too many combinations for a person to play to win that for all intensive purposes cost to much to play. Your asking a computer program to guess what numbers might win. You can do that without a computer. your brain is smarter than a computer.

all you have to do is guess the right numbers.

week in and week out how many millions of tickets are sold that don't win.