Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 11:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Supercomputers & the lotto....Part2..

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 10 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: September 9, 2006, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

lets say you had 100,000 dollars to spend on every draw for mega or power ball and you had a computer select the numbers you would play on those tickets. Based on every conceivable scenario. the odds are still against the computer selecting the numbers that might win. see the computer can't see the outcome of the drawing no more than we can.

the computer can sort through the numbers that have been drawn and the ones that haven't but that doesn't mean that in the 100,000 picks the computer might select that it will generate the ticket with the winning combinations. Here's why the drawing might contain numbers that have already been drawn which it may have filtered out.

there are just too many combinations for a person to play to win that for all intensive purposes cost to much to play. Your asking a computer program to guess what numbers might win. You can do that without a computer. your brain is smarter than a computer.

all you have to do is guess the right numbers.

week in and week out how many millions of tickets are sold that don't win.

There is no question in my mind whatsoever that if I could spend $360 per drawing, I would snag a pick-5 within 4-6 months, but I only allow myself $10 and do what I think is right.

'The weakest link as always will be the human programming the machine. '

And that is the STRONGEST link in the current system - the lack of an identifiable human link (that we know of). 

One think I wish I knew is how many tickets are sold of the SAME numbers ?

And what total number combos are NOT played at all ? 

I mean, when the jackpot hits, it's been usually ONE ticket.

SO I wonder how many folks pick #3, #8, #29, #31 and, say #24 because those are their favorite nascar stock car drivers numbers ?

I'd bet the first four listed are rampant. 

Honduras
    Member #20982
    August 29, 2005
    4715 Posts
    Posted: September 9, 2006, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

Four4me:

If i had 70,000 dollars i could hit 5 numbers of Powerball twice, guaranteed (provided i had the right equipment)....Yes I know that our brain is smarter than a computer but what i am saying is if you went through each of the millions of combinations by hand or with a computer, it will be so hard or impractical, assuming you were looking for special combinations withing each combinations...Example..Looking at the place/positions each numbers in a combinations is placed and Analyzing the history of the draws based on that, one person could not do it by hand..LOok at the combinations 02-09-18-25-32-44 for pick6..Now looking at the position each number has in the combinations you may do it as follow: 2=1st position, 9=2nd position, 18=3rd position, 25=4th position and so on..the combinations 02-10-25-30-32-35 has 25 on the 3rd position different from the first combinations that has 25 on the 4th position...if you wanted to look at all the possible combinations that have 25 on the 4th position, it will be so painstaking and you couldn't do it on time, it may take you months, while a supercomputer could do it in half a second...What i am saying is you could do the thinking for the supercomputer but the supercomputer would do the specific search for you...There are hundreds of way you can label the millions of combinations, for example the delta system, or by root sum or by sum total, etc and then the supercomputer can pull them up for you..The supercomputer will not be doing the predicting which is what i think you all are saying, a human is the one doing the predicting, but the supercomputer will be doing the searching, and pulling out/up, and analyzation for you...It doesn't necessarily has to be a supercomputer it could be a computer with enough power...And you all have to remember that there are supercomputer that are the size of a home computer and not the size of cabinets the way some of us imagine.Some example is the Challenge XL and the GigaBooster: 7 DEC Alpha...Now that i recall, there were some supercomputers that cost 18 million dollars..

No, by itself a supercomputer will not be spilling out winning numbers, not until they advance Artificial Intel....

And i don't think a supercomputer is going to pull out 500 combinations that are the winning combinations...I am talking more like 20,000 or 10,000..Plus a supercomputer could find a way to "weave" numbers in a way not known by a human different from wheeling...

Years ago the FBI ordered a supercomputer that could analyze writing and tell you who is the author...So if you picked a random book and took a passage from that book and fed it to the supercomputer, based on a database of styles of writing, the supercomputer could tell you who is the author...That's impressive...

"If you think about it, the stock market and taxes, are in a way, a form of lottery..."

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8393 Posts
      Posted: September 9, 2006, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

There is no question in my mind whatsoever that if I could spend $360 per drawing, I would snag a pick-5 within 4-6 months, but I only allow myself $10 and do what I think is right.

you could probably do it with 156 tickets. if you chose the 2 digits that repeat from month to month and wheel the rest.

'The weakest link as always will be the human programming the machine. '

can't argue that point many times it has much to do with what you imput.

And that is the STRONGEST link in the current system - the lack of an identifiable human link (that we know of).

well maybe yes maybe no. some have won using personal numbers some have won using intuitive picks and many more have won with Qpicks. (being in right place at the right time) rarely if ever has someone said they won mega or powerball using a system. match 5 i will agree some people have won wheeling numbers.

One think I wish I knew is how many tickets are sold of the SAME numbers ?

only the lottery can answer that they have records of this. can we see them, i doubt it.

And what total number combos are NOT played at all ?

only the lottery can answer that, they have records of this. can we see them i doubt it.

I mean, when the jackpot hits, it's been usually ONE ticket.

correct again because of the many posible combinations and the diversity of the numbers many people win with the one quick pick that was generated for that drawing out of how many ever tickets that were sold. however when series numbers are drawn there coud be a multiple winners.

SO I wonder how many folks pick #3, #8, #29, #31 and, say #24 because those are their favorite nascar stock car drivers numbers ?

good question lot of people have numbers like this again when and if there drawn there might be lots of winners.

I'd bet the first four listed are rampant.

yes as are peoples birth dates, phone numbers, addresses, and the like. another thing i've used and know people use is their names as associated to the alphabet 26 letters. They take the letters in their name and assign the alphabet numerals to them.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19900 Posts
        Posted: September 9, 2006, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

guesser writes:
        "There is no question in my mind whatsoever that if I could spend $360 per drawing, I would snag a pick-5 within 4-6 months, but I only allow myself $10 and do what I think is right."

That means he thinks he could spend $56,160 in six months playing a pick5 game in a state like Ohio where the game is played six days per week or $16,560 in Oklahoma where the game is played twice a week and snag the top prize. If he was playing in Oklahoma that would be $25,000 and in Ohio  it would be a potion of $100,000 unless the top prize had rolled to a larger amount.  In either case, he wouldn't double his money but might do better than break even.  Why spend $2,000 to $3,000 per month to break even? 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8393 Posts
          Posted: September 9, 2006, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Pumpi

Based on 409 drawings since Wednesday, October 09, 2002

odds winning
          5 + 0 $200,000 1 in 3,563,609

you now have 3,563,200 possible combinations that haven't won.

Good LUCK

Honduras
            Member #20982
            August 29, 2005
            4715 Posts
            Posted: September 10, 2006, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

Four4me:

That may be true, but a wheel works like a fishing net...It traps everything contained in it..That's what an abbreviated wheel does...And that's all you need for the 5 numbers of Powerball...

"...If you think about it, the stock market and taxes are a form of lottery..."

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8393 Posts
              Posted: September 10, 2006, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Four4me:

That may be true, but a wheel works like a fishing net...It traps everything contained in it..That's what an abbreviated wheel does...And that's all you need for the 5 numbers of Powerball...

"...If you think about it, the stock market and taxes are a form of lottery..."

correct.

so basically all you have to do to create your wheel is work with the last 20 or so drawings. A super computer doesn't know how many different ball sets they use it doesn't know which balls will be drawn next. but you can see the history and pick out the hot numbers and wheel them with the remanding numbers and hope for the best.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
                Member #46459
                September 10, 2006
                3 Posts
                Posted: September 10, 2006, 4:54 pm - IP Logged

They could use an unlimited number of ball sets, think they probley only cost $1000 or less and they make alot more than that with ticket sales.  The only way a computer could even come close to picking the numbers is if it knew what ball set they were using and it could caculate all the possible ways the balls could fall, but this could be millons of cobinations, and this could depend of alot of things, where the moon is,  if there were excess of diffrent gasses in the chamber. etc. :)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19900 Posts
                  Posted: September 10, 2006, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

Littlehussey,

The number of possible combinations is not effected by the ball set, the moon or the different gases in the chamber and etc.:)

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking