Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What happens if you forgot where you bought your jackpot ticket.

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
Member #4121
March 23, 2004
817 Posts
Posted: November 19, 2006, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

I buy my lotto tickets and scratch-offs from many stores.  I was wondering if I forget where I bought my jackpot ticket, will there be a problem when I claim my jackpot.   There have been lots of scams recently.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
    Beautiful Florida
    United States
    Member #5709
    July 18, 2004
    20108 Posts
    Posted: November 19, 2006, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

I buy my lotto tickets and scratch-offs from many stores.  I was wondering if I forget where I bought my jackpot ticket, will there be a problem when I claim my jackpot.   There have been lots of scams recently.

NO problem whatsoever... It does'nt matter where you buy your ticket.

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: November 19, 2006, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

It should not matter, it's ONE of the first questions they ask when verifying if you have a legit ticket or not, you can probably list 3-4 places where you might have bought it.

They will ask you if it was a QP or if you picked the numbers as well, etc.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10345 Posts
        Posted: November 19, 2006, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

When you hit a jackpot they'll ask you the questions guesser suggested....then you'll name places where you buy your tickets.....

they they'll tell you none of those places are lottery outlets, some odd music will start playing, and Rod Serling will appear. then you'll know you're in

The Twilight Zone 

White Bounce

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
          Florida
          United States
          Member #6147
          August 8, 2004
          1396 Posts
          Posted: November 20, 2006, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Did you win the jackpot?

Good Luck!

Stavros

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: November 20, 2006, 9:50 am - IP Logged

When the pot is hit..

The state will know the place and time the ticket was bought.. Even down to the minute..

Cameras will even tell if the person is male/female, young/old.. etc..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: November 21, 2006, 2:54 am - IP Logged

When you hit a jackpot they'll ask you the questions guesser suggested....then you'll name places where you buy your tickets.....

they they'll tell you none of those places are lottery outlets, some odd music will start playing, and Rod Serling will appear. then you'll know you're in

The Twilight Zone 

White Bounce

"I bought my ticket here in Willoughby." 

"There is no Willoughby around these parts."

"But the conductor on the train said last stop Willoughby."

"You are in Pittsburgh."

"I stopped for lunch. Someone must remember me. The sign on the diner said "To Serve Man."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: November 21, 2006, 4:10 am - IP Logged

All kidding aside, this isn't a bad question at all.  AFAIK, if someone is the ticket bearer and no crime has been committed, he is the rightful owner, but it's a good idea to keep track of where you buy tickets. I always suggest that anyone who wins a large amount of money should get legal help anyway before claiming the money. However, there have been a few instances where someone falsely claims to be the winner saying "I lost my ticket" so if you have all your facts straight, I assume it would be helpful and might move things along faster. As already posted, the lottery keeps track and often there is a video of the transaction (as in the case of Robert Sehested in CA) so it's pretty tough to lie and get away with it. 

As far as purchasing tickets in someone's regular stores goes, I'm sure the lottery is used to people who travel hundreds (or even thousands) of miles to get PB or MM tickets, so they just want to make sure no theft, fraud or other violation has been committed. Many people from all over the world buy tickets here, and I doubt it they remember it was on Tuesday in Publix at 6:00 from someone named Cathy.

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                  Member #45802
                  August 28, 2006
                  335 Posts
                  Posted: November 21, 2006, 4:15 am - IP Logged

"You are in Pittsburgh."

"I stopped for lunch. Someone must remember me. The sign on the diner said "To Serve Man."

I remember those episodes justxploring, does that mean we are getting a little age on us?

Heck I have been in the twilight zone for years just living in this world.

Even if you bought your ticket in Willoughby, the Lottery folks would know it, they know everything by the number codes on the ticket.  They created the twilight zone to protect themselves.   Their are no secrets when you play the lottery.

F

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                    Member #47420
                    November 4, 2006
                    3930 Posts
                    Posted: November 21, 2006, 7:10 am - IP Logged

If you hit a big jackpot on line and not a scrach off they know where it was sold and what time it was sold.You can look at the bottom of the ticket and see what time you bought it.Probably the same with a scrach off,but not sure?

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                      Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5583 Posts
                      Posted: November 21, 2006, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Lottery tix are bearer instruments, are serialed (see tntea on thread), and have a place on the back for name,address, and signature, if you hit big, sign it, don't tell anyone, guard it with your life, and don't go to the corner store.  You go to the lottery headquarters, remember wear sunglasses Cool and bring a trusted attorney Big Grin Angel. LOL jarasan

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10345 Posts
                        Posted: November 21, 2006, 9:43 am - IP Logged

"You are in Pittsburgh."

"Gee, I don't know mister, any store that won't let me in with my dog....." 

////////////////////////////

"C'mon, let's go."

"Let me ask this genie one more question....it's only a penny" 

/////////////////////////////

So justxploring's numbers finally hit, she had indeed played them....and decided to take her lunch in the bank's vault, with a good book. 

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                          Member #47420
                          November 4, 2006
                          3930 Posts
                          Posted: November 21, 2006, 11:34 am - IP Logged

jarasan hit it on the head..If you hit big do as jarasan says......

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
                            Wisconsin
                            United States
                            Member #1303
                            March 27, 2003
                            1508 Posts
                            Posted: November 22, 2006, 5:24 am - IP Logged

This is not even anything to worry about.  The govt will know from the computer coding on the ticket exactly where, and when it was bought.  And whether you know it or not when you purchase a ticket, yuo are on camera surveillance. The only question they will be looking at is whether or not the ticket is legitimate or not.

The ticket is like a bearer bond. That means, if it is a legitimate ticket, and you lose it, and someone else finds it, they can likely cash it. That's why they urge you to write your name and info and sign it on the back just as soon as you know it's a winner.

If it was a big jackpot winner, the next thing I would do is put it in a safety deposit box in a bank's vault somewhere. You would need to acquire the services of a CPA and a lawyer first, rather than just run out and cash it. When we're talking millions, we're talking serious money.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Coastal Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #2653
                              October 30, 2003
                              1866 Posts
                              Posted: November 22, 2006, 9:13 am - IP Logged

I would be more concerned if I forgot where I put the ticket rather than where I bought it.....