Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

letting others borrow money

Topic closed. 55 replies. Last post 10 years ago by cps10.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

do you let others borrow money on occasions?

sometimes i do [ 22 ]  [43.14%]
anytime others need it [ 3 ]  [5.88%]
maybe once but not very often [ 14 ]  [27.45%]
i never let others borrow money [ 12 ]  [23.53%]
Total Valid Votes [ 51 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: November 24, 2006, 10:27 pm - IP Logged

i hate the fact that emily and tenaj got taken for being nice and letting others borrow.i'm also glad that emily exposed sal so this person doesn't get anybody else.be careful when letting others borrow.

charh20's avatar - ICONATOR be3777802402ed40fe6d8770cf33207f.gif
    Winchester, Kentucky
    United States
    Member #42711
    July 7, 2006
    1201 Posts
    Posted: November 24, 2006, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

Hi Lottomike,,

I read that in the blogs and my mouth fell open...

I can't believe that people would take advantage of others that way.  I guess some people have no concious and all they are thinking about is how to get easy money from nice people.

Some people have the nerve,,,,,,,,getting to where you have to be on guard at all times everywhere. People are getting more corrupt. 

But on the flip side of things, there are really good people out there (like emilyg and tenaj)...

If I had any money, I would let my family borrow it, but I would never expect it back....That is just me.  My sisters are my best friends and I would never expect it back, although they WOULD pay me  back I know.

But,,,,,,,beware of the Internet.,,complete strangers,,,,and money.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
      Charlotte NC
      United States
      Member #17406
      June 18, 2005
      4053 Posts
      Posted: November 24, 2006, 11:28 pm - IP Logged

i hate the fact that emily and tenaj got taken for being nice and letting others borrow.i'm also glad that emily exposed sal so this person doesn't get anybody else.be careful when letting others borrow.

MadI exposed the person in my blog Mike.  I had no choice since she blocked all communication.

takeemtothebank

Tennessee
        United States
        Member #7853
        October 15, 2004
        11338 Posts
        Posted: November 24, 2006, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

who would've thought that saleo paleo and laverne maloney would do this.its pretty sad when regular posters like these hit the deadbeat list.it really shocked me.usually you would think it would be a new member swooping in to take advantage but to see this is truly scary.who can you trust???  this is a real eye opener......

Bluegrass's avatar - nw archer.jpg
          Killer's Cove
          United States
          Member #57
          December 17, 2001
          5631 Posts
          Posted: November 24, 2006, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

MadI exposed the person in my blog Mike.  I had no choice since she blocked all communication.

Janet, Thank you so very much ! Bob Loviesbg

US Flag    Life i$ good !  US Flagbg

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
            Member #14
            November 9, 2001
            31361 Posts
            Posted: November 24, 2006, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

who would've thought that saleo paleo and laverne maloney would do this.its pretty sad when regular posters like these hit the deadbeat list.it really shocked me.usually you would think it would be a new member swooping in to take advantage but to see this is truly scary.who can you trust???  this is a real eye opener......

Hard lessons learned!!!

love to nibble those micey feet.

Rubi 311's avatar - scene sunoverlake.jpg
              Illinois
              United States
              Member #40207
              May 29, 2006
              2024 Posts
              Posted: November 24, 2006, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

I'm shocked!  I wish I could make it good for you Tenaj!

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                Member #45802
                August 28, 2006
                335 Posts
                Posted: November 24, 2006, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

Man! I am really disappointed by the folks exposed in this thread.  I guess I am even more disappointed in people begging for money and then not wanting to pay it back.  I suspect the money was used to gamble.  I am sure that was not the reason given but the fact is money loaned for gambling is like flushing it down the toilet.  This is the voice of experience talking here.

My life experience as I like to call it has shown me that you just can't loan money to someone for nothing.  There has to be strings attached if you ever have any hope of getting it back.  If you don't tie anything to it then expect it to be a gift because you will never get it back even if it is family.

Many times people mean well when they need money for a crisis but when it is gone and the crisis is over their want to pay back fades along with it or another crisis takes its place and the whole seedy process starts over again.

What is the old saying "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me".  It is one thing to give to the needy, it is quite another to throw away money on a lick and a promise.  You have to get your priorities straight just like in the Lottery, you have to know when to hold em and know when to fold em.

Floridian

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                  Member #14
                  November 9, 2001
                  31361 Posts
                  Posted: November 25, 2006, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Janet, Thank you so very much ! Bob Loviesbg

What Bob said!

we love you - Lovies

love to nibble those micey feet.

Snakeyes's avatar - 8579390479 65f71643cf_m.jpg
                    Cleveland, Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #11445
                    February 13, 2005
                    1303 Posts
                    Posted: November 25, 2006, 12:20 am - IP Logged

I used to loan others money but not anymore. I've been taken advantage of one too many times and it caused a lot of hurt feelings.  

Tenaj; I feel bad for you. I don't know you that well, but your act of kindness was truly amazing. Unless you know these people on a personal and face-to-face level, it took a lot of trust to loan that money. Pretty cold for someone to that to you or anyone for that matter, in my opinion.

Karma Tenaj......what comes around....goes around.  Best of luck to you; make it up tenfold with your pointers!

Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: November 25, 2006, 12:46 am - IP Logged

if someone i didn't really care for ask to borrow i used to let them have 5 or 10 bucks.i knew after that they would never have the money to pay me back and they would quit coming around.and believe me i was glad they quit coming.i'm a generous person and nice too and i had a job one time where this guy used to want to ride with me on lunch hour because i'd go to mcdonalds.well i wouldn't be finished eating he would start asking you gonna eat that or you gonna eat all of this,can i have a cigarette man (this was back before i quit smoking).anyway this guy was always broke and i was making 300 a week and he was making 600 a week.i knew he was blowing it on something.turns out he was a crackhead and i finally told him to quit asking me for food and cigarettes and buy his own.boy was i pissed.i also told him to stay off the crack.beer was ok because you can't go too broke drinking a couple beers like you can doing drugs.he was playing the guilt thing on me telling me i didn't like him anymore and stuff.he knew to quit begging me.i hated to be mean and it did make me feel kinda bad but damn it gets old.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                        Clarksville
                        United States
                        Member #487
                        July 15, 2002
                        17638 Posts
                        Posted: November 25, 2006, 2:38 am - IP Logged

I have let others borrow money but now I limit all amounts and don't let someone borrow if I am not familiar.  I have lost several hundreds (thousands).  I always find that when people borrow your money, they have a hard time getting YOUR MONEY out of their pocket!  Also, family is just as bad as anyone else.  In fact the largest loans I have made went to family members and no one has offered me a dime back.  I loaned out $700, $500 and other smaller amounts.  I let them know up front it was a LOAN but no one seems to care that I NEED my money, too.  They think that school teachers make big bucks and can afford it.  I can't..I loaned it to them because they were in dire straights. I though have learned that when I AM IN DIRE STRAIGHTS, I can't get anything from anyone..so  my lending is very very cheap now.  I have to keep funds for my husband, myself and I also help my sisters when I can.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                          MD
                          United States
                          Member #1701
                          June 18, 2003
                          8363 Posts
                          Posted: November 25, 2006, 4:20 am - IP Logged

I am floored to hear that these people done that. especially when one brags about how they have the winning way (MAP to the money) and make it seem that they are doing great playing numbers.

i never lend my money to others for gambling. and rarely for anything else for that matter. Sure i have helped people out but if they screw me even once i'm done with them. as far as loaning money.

i wish i had all the money i have given/loaned to people over the years and never got back. I could probably take a few vacations to Hawaii.

When people have bills that are bigger than their pay check then they should be concentrating on paying the bills not playing the lottery. Many times people hit the lottery for some good cash and then spend it all back trying to hit again. it a bad proposition all around. Cause the bills usually never get paid off. Because they need the cash they won to continue their gambling addiction. A win seems to fuel the fire and create some illusion that well if i won the other day i might win today too.

Sorry this happened to you all don't loan money to a gambler no matter how big a heart you have. Unless you can afford to take the loss yourself.

In the past when i have given people money i knew i might never see it again this includes family members as well as close friends. I can count on one hand how many have paid me back.

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
                            Florida
                            United States
                            Member #6147
                            August 8, 2004
                            1396 Posts
                            Posted: November 25, 2006, 8:07 am - IP Logged

I am so sorry for both of you, Emily and Tenaj.  You were kind enough to lend the money and then got taken for a ride!  I wonder how many other people in their lives have had the same thing happen to them?  And Laverne responds that she has to see how much money is left in her mother's government checks. This woman should not be gambling at all!

Good Luck!

Stavros

bubber58's avatar - lol

United States
                              Member #3094
                              December 23, 2003
                              1059 Posts
                              Posted: November 25, 2006, 8:09 am - IP Logged

Those of you who got hurt just remember,, they will get their reward... this dont give you much comfort now,  but in time,

people like this really make it hard for the honest people in our world, meaning that we dont trust as much anymore,,,

I'm Sorry

I like to meet the people I talk to here when possible, I have met a few here...  and they know who they are...all I have met here been real good people.....  THANKS