Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

letting others borrow money

Topic closed. 55 replies. Last post 10 years ago by cps10.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

do you let others borrow money on occasions?

sometimes i do [ 22 ]  [43.14%]
anytime others need it [ 3 ]  [5.88%]
maybe once but not very often [ 14 ]  [27.45%]
i never let others borrow money [ 12 ]  [23.53%]
Total Valid Votes [ 51 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: November 25, 2006, 8:18 am - IP Logged

i agree it is sad.when the good honest people need help it makes it hard on them to find it because nobody can be trusted anymore because of all the bad apples.i look at the state of the world and it really makes you wonder.when people have the goodness to let you borrow the least you can do is make the effort to start paying some back.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
    Member #91
    January 19, 2002
    12009 Posts
    Posted: November 25, 2006, 8:52 am - IP Logged

who would've thought that saleo paleo and laverne maloney would do this.its pretty sad when regular posters like these hit the deadbeat list.it really shocked me.usually you would think it would be a new member swooping in to take advantage but to see this is truly scary.who can you trust???  this is a real eye opener......

I agree,,,Thats just wrong to borrow money and to not even be humbled by the fact that you owe someone.......and to keep posting that your system is the way to win,,,,,you not only took money from people but you also lead people down the wrong path..........

PokeGive it back!!

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: November 25, 2006, 9:16 am - IP Logged

I have let others borrow money but now I limit all amounts and don't let someone borrow if I am not familiar.  I have lost several hundreds (thousands).  I always find that when people borrow your money, they have a hard time getting YOUR MONEY out of their pocket!  Also, family is just as bad as anyone else.  In fact the largest loans I have made went to family members and no one has offered me a dime back.  I loaned out $700, $500 and other smaller amounts.  I let them know up front it was a LOAN but no one seems to care that I NEED my money, too.  They think that school teachers make big bucks and can afford it.  I can't..I loaned it to them because they were in dire straights. I though have learned that when I AM IN DIRE STRAIGHTS, I can't get anything from anyone..so  my lending is very very cheap now.  I have to keep funds for my husband, myself and I also help my sisters when I can.

Been there and done that...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
        Member #5344
        June 30, 2004
        23641 Posts
        Posted: November 25, 2006, 9:23 am - IP Logged

I am floored to hear that these people done that. especially when one brags about how they have the winning way (MAP to the money) and make it seem that they are doing great playing numbers.

i never lend my money to others for gambling. and rarely for anything else for that matter. Sure i have helped people out but if they screw me even once i'm done with them. as far as loaning money.

i wish i had all the money i have given/loaned to people over the years and never got back. I could probably take a few vacations to Hawaii.

When people have bills that are bigger than their pay check then they should be concentrating on paying the bills not playing the lottery. Many times people hit the lottery for some good cash and then spend it all back trying to hit again. it a bad proposition all around. Cause the bills usually never get paid off. Because they need the cash they won to continue their gambling addiction. A win seems to fuel the fire and create some illusion that well if i won the other day i might win today too.

Sorry this happened to you all don't loan money to a gambler no matter how big a heart you have. Unless you can afford to take the loss yourself.

In the past when i have given people money i knew i might never see it again this includes family members as well as close friends. I can count on one hand how many have paid me back.

I agree with you.

Once posted in my blog that the Map will get you trapped to spending more than you earn..  I received a lot of flack about this , even from Janet.

Everyone was  partying thinking that LM was making big bucks with her system, and now to find out she was having to borrow money from the lady whose motto was "take it to the bank". 

She probably picked Janet because she thought Janet was loaded with her system.  Since Janet took so much to the "bank".. LM probably thought she had more than she could use, since it was easy made money anyway..

However, Janet cheered LM on with her winning system as if LM was making big bucks.

Makes one stop and wonder.. Does it not?What?

kandi44's avatar - masked
          georgetown
          United States
          Member #46979
          October 12, 2006
          1129 Posts
          Posted: November 25, 2006, 10:07 am - IP Logged

i hate the fact that emily and tenaj got taken for being nice and letting others borrow.i'm also glad that emily exposed sal so this person doesn't get anybody else.be careful when letting others borrow.

it is sad to know that friendship might be broken because of money if someone was kind enough to lend it the least you can do is pay it back you don't know when you might need that person again .and beside it is hard to find a true friend so i hope this reaches the person or persons heart and they will do the right thing.Blue Angel

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: November 25, 2006, 10:51 am - IP Logged

One way we get rid of the beggars that come around the shop is to loan them money.. That way we never see them again.. It is good riddence

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
              Member #45802
              August 28, 2006
              335 Posts
              Posted: November 25, 2006, 11:22 am - IP Logged

it is sad to know that friendship might be broken because of money if someone was kind enough to lend it the least you can do is pay it back you don't know when you might need that person again .and beside it is hard to find a true friend so i hope this reaches the person or persons heart and they will do the right thing.Blue Angel

It could not have been a true friendship.  Maybe a one way friendship.

Good friends just don't do that to each other for whatever reason.

Anyone who welches on a bet or refuses to pay back a loan is a bottom feeder pure and simple.

On this thread, we have all been dancing around the true defination of this behavior.  It is nothing more than stealing.  You can call it what you want but anyone who takes money from someone else with a smile, a promise, and a glad hand with no intention of paying it back, when it is given as a loan, is a thief.

He or she might have just as well been robbing a convenience store.  The penalty is of course  much less.  Just the loss of a friendship and a few raised eyebrows is all the suffering this kind of thief really ever experiences.  When you have no conscience it is not really hard at all to live with.  You just more on to the next sucker.  God! what a way to get through life.

Floridian

st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
                chicago ill.
                United States
                Member #3600
                February 4, 2004
                337 Posts
                Posted: November 25, 2006, 11:33 am - IP Logged

I'm totally flabberghasted that that had happened to you both. That should teach us all a lesson. But do we ever learn.....for instance: 

I had a best buddy in grade school and high school...we haven't seen each other in 36 years. I promised to visit my friend in Las Vegas where he is a manager in one of the gambling establishments there.  Prior to going there to visit ...his new wife , who I never met, had e-mailed me and said that she lost the 500 dollars that she had and was supposed to have paid for his union dues ( he practices real estate there on the side) and she didn't want him to know that she lost the money and if I was a good friend that I could help her pay for his dues. Loving my friend that I have missed for 36 years...I sent her the money. When I did finally visit my friend charlie...I asked him about those union dues and if his wife ever paid for the dues. He said he has never missed his dues and didn't know what I was talking about. That's when I told him about his wife borrowing the money. He told me that his wife had a gambling problem and cheated his other friends out of money too...which has never been paid back. Since then, she chose to divoce  him and took up with a construction worker and had him move with her and charlie's 4 yearold daughter to Australia where they are today...having defaulted on several loans and a lot of lost money (this is with her new hubby) and will probaly dump her new guy now that he has returned his wife to her family who all live in australia....probaly will have another divorce there too.

Goes to show...that we don't learn..do we?  I guess you can't trust anyone anymore...how sad!      St.Germain

What?

fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
                  Chicago,IL.
                  United States
                  Member #2902
                  November 29, 2003
                  1436 Posts
                  Posted: November 25, 2006, 11:44 am - IP Logged

I don't see saleo paleo and laverne maloney posting a reply saying that these accusations aren't true. So I believe their saying the don't have to justify their actions not only to the people they borrowed the money from but also their fellow L.P. members. I believe Todd is probably disgusted by these revelations but it is us who should take action. We should block those members and not respond to any of their posts till we hear different.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: November 25, 2006, 11:52 am - IP Logged

I just posted my comment on Tenaj's blog. I want to add that this has happened to me several times in life.  So when you give money, think of it as a gift and not a loan and then you'll have no expectations. I rarely lend money to anyone.  The other day I picked up lunch for a coworker who was stuck in the office. She insisted on paying me, so I took her money. However, I would have considered it a treat had she not stuffed the bills into my pocketbook. Did I expect her to offer?  Of course!  I've only known her for a few weeks and was doing her a favor. However, not knowing her true character, I took a chance.  This was only a small amount of money, but I'm sure she would have made good on any amount because of her character.  Apparently the people who borrow or take without giving back are lacking in character.

Sorry to go on, but here's a situation that bothered me a long time ago.  I became friendly with a cashier in the cafeteria located in the building where I worked. She invited me to her home for dinner and a movie. Later that evening her 11 year old son and I were chatting and playing Super Mario Bros (you can tell this is old! lol) and mentioned he was sick (think he had asthma or allergies) and she told me she didn't have the money for a doctor. She had a good insurance plan but needed the $20 co-pay.  I insisted she take the money, since she "obviously" needed it. After all, what good, loving Mom would let her son suffer unless she truly was broke?  One day I went downstairs during my break to get a sandwich and she was very, very excited.  A friend of hers in Chicago had purchased concert tickets to see Wings. I was puzzled since we lived in NH, plus the tickets themselves had to cost quite a bit. She explained that she was flying out to Chicago for the weekend to stay with her friend and attend the concert. I don't remember exactly what I said, or maybe I said nothing at all and she was reacting to the look on my face. What I do remember verbatim is what she said to me.  "But, Nancy, this is PAUL"  (guess her son didn't fall into the same category as a former Beatle.)

Needless to say, we all have stories like this. I have hundreds of them. Sometimes I didn't loan money, but I let someone stay in my home . When I lived in a singlewide, a man I knew (or thought I knew) told me he was flat broke and needed a place to stay. Of course I didn't want a friend to go to a shelter, so I told him he could stay on my sleeper. One Friday after getting paid, he took out of his pocket over $1,000 cash (that's net pay in 1988) He had no apologies, just that he was saving all his money for a boat. I told him to find another couch to sleep on! 

I hope the people here didn't give away too much to ungrateful moochers. 

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                      Member #45802
                      August 28, 2006
                      335 Posts
                      Posted: November 25, 2006, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

I don't see saleo paleo and laverne maloney posting a reply saying that these accusations aren't true. So I believe their saying the don't have to justify their actions not only to the people they borrowed the money from but also their fellow L.P. members. I believe Todd is probably disgusted by these revelations but it is us who should take action. We should block those members and not respond to any of their posts till we hear different.

F E:

Excellent post.  Until I here further anything they do post I will view as another con job.

Also, I wanted to respond to the previous post concerning the woman who had a gambling problem.  I have learned over the years that if someone asks you for money to pay for something or they have a crisis and need bailing out -- Here what you do -- I need some $$ to pay medical bills.  Have them send you the bill and you send a check to the payee to settle the debt.  You will be surprised how many people will decline your offer.

I learned this from my old father several years ago.  He used to tell me that during the depression and after WWII people used to beg a great deal on the street corners.  Mainly, they would beg for food, even though most of them had serious drinking problems. There drink of choice was wine since it was cheap in those days.  So a guy would come up to dad and want some money to buy a sandwich or soup cause he was very hungry.  Dad would tell him, okay buddy meet me at the soup kitchen around the corner and I will buy you a meal.  Dad said only once that he could remember was his offer ever accepted.  The guy was really hungry and he did buy him a meal.  You see the others wanted the money to buy wine.

There are ways to ensure your loaned money goes to where it was intended.  If you must loan money, protect your investment.  It will also make you a lot happier knowing the money was spent for the purpose intended.

Floridian 

fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
                        Chicago,IL.
                        United States
                        Member #2902
                        November 29, 2003
                        1436 Posts
                        Posted: November 25, 2006, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Needless to say, we all have stories like this. I hope the people here didn't give away too much to ungrateful moochers. 

So true, I once helped a so-called friend in need by helping him buy a diamond engagement ring for his future bride, also a used car so he could get to work and lastly gave him an apartment with reduced rent in an a building my family owns. What did he do, he paid me a less than half the money back and after he stopped paying me he traded the used car that I bought for him for a new used car with a monthly payments and then proceded to stiff me on the back rent when he moved out of the apartment to buy a house. Talk about getting screwed over, I got this guy back on his feet and he truly fu%ked me. Lesson learned.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

konane's avatar - wallace
                          Atlanta, GA
                          United States
                          Member #1265
                          March 13, 2003
                          3348 Posts
                          Posted: November 25, 2006, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

Over the years have had more than a few experiences with both loaning money and helping with no payback or reciprocation .... many more than the one I related to Tenaj in my PM to her yesterday.

Never ceases to amaze me how people can believe that a loan is a gift just because they choose to call it that even though terms were clear up front, somehow thinking the world owes them.

To both Em and Tenaj, I hope you both make it back a thousand times over and that others can watch your successes and learn how to do it for themselves.  More difficult to be a teacher than a giver and I consider both of you teachers by sharing your picks and methods.  (that goes for others on LP too who post picks and methods)
                          There are begging sites on the web so next time tell 'em to post their hard luck stories on one of those.  Yes Nod

Good luck to everyone!

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                            Member #14
                            November 9, 2001
                            31540 Posts
                            Posted: November 25, 2006, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

Not sure what bothered me more - the fact that i was out $2,000, the fact he kept gambling and bragging or the fact he blocked me.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                              Charlotte NC
                              United States
                              Member #17406
                              June 18, 2005
                              4054 Posts
                              Posted: November 25, 2006, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

Not sure what bothered me more - the fact that i was out $2,000, the fact he kept gambling and bragging or the fact he blocked me.

Me too Emily.  It's like you get kicked in the ass over and over every thing they post dollars signs $$$$$$.LOLROFL

takeemtothebank