Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 10:37 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Study

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Todd.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
Member #45802
August 28, 2006
335 Posts
Posted: December 1, 2006, 9:26 am - IP Logged

Floridian,

Like many members, you want to get to what works and ignore the rest.  The problem is most everyone post what they think will work rather than what has worked.  It would be nice if a methods had worked in the past, it be documented in the post but that's not likely to happen.  Beside checking the predictions statistics of the posters, you'll just have to read and check out what you like.  Good luck to you.

RJ

You are probably correct but being new to this environment it is really difficult to weed out the pertinent  information.  I don't think I am trying to ignore the rest of the information, it is just that the immense amount of it is so overwhelming.  I also do not mind paying my dues, however, I would like to have some defined strategies before the end of this decade.

I appreciate Todd's input because he is trying to be all things to all people and take it from me that is a tough road to hoe.  I worked in Corporate America in technical support and I used to tell my customers on the best day I ever had I pissed off at least two people.  Maybe the answer is just to read, read and read some more.  I guess like project managers say you have to eat the elephant one bite at a time.

However, I really appreciate those who have added input to this thread.  I think it has given me some prospective.

Thanks all!!

Floridian

JADELottery's avatar - YingYangYong 01.PNG
    The Quantum Master
    West Concord, MN
    United States
    Member #21
    December 7, 2001
    3684 Posts
    Posted: December 1, 2006, 9:46 am - IP Logged

I put together thoughtful replies to your posts.  I hope you actually read them, rather than just seeing "NO".

It would be nice to see the most general of terms defined. If there are more specific terms used by certain members, again: well established term by well established member with clearly illustrated context.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
    Wisdom is Not Censored
    Douglas Paul Smallish
    Jehocifer

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51098 Posts
      Posted: December 1, 2006, 10:50 am - IP Logged

It would be nice to see the most general of terms defined. If there are more specific terms used by certain members, again: well established term by well established member with clearly illustrated context.

Many times during the last couple of years I've searched the Internet until I'm Blue in the face trying to find definitions to Lottery Terms with dismal results. A Lottery Glossary under Resources would have save me lots of time (probably lots of other people too).

We need a LP Member or Group of LP Members to run the Lottery Glossary Project: compile the Lottery Glossary and have LP Members vote on the acceptance of the definitions (especially the ones that may be in contention).

When the Lottery Glossary is complete we need to find a place to Host the Lottery Glossary.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
        Member #45802
        August 28, 2006
        335 Posts
        Posted: December 1, 2006, 10:57 am - IP Logged

Many times during the last couple of years I've searched the Internet until I'm Blue in the face trying to find definitions to Lottery Terms with dismal results. A Lottery Glossary under Resources would have save me lots of time (probably lots of other people too).

We need a LP Member or Group of LP Members to run the Lottery Glossary Project: compile the Lottery Glossary and have LP Members vote on the acceptance of the definitions (especially the ones that may be in contention).

When the Lottery Glossary is complete we need to find a place to Host the Lottery Glossary.

Raven62:

What a wonderful idea.  However, I worry about what Todd said about people getting so upset over what is correct and what is not.  But the voting idea does seem to carry the day. 

This would really be a feather in the caps of LP members to come up with something like this.  It certainly would add some additional pride and professionalism to the Lottery Post.

Great idea man!

Floridian 

The Quantum Master
          West Concord, MN
          United States
          Member #21
          December 7, 2001
          3684 Posts
          Posted: December 1, 2006, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

i think what we need to do is get away from the nitpicking of definitions.

there are some who would say, snottily, 'well, this means this, and you need this, and that could mean something else...'

open up a dictionary and you'll find many words with multiple definitions or meanings.

some are even spelled the same and pronounced differently, like wind(air motion) and wind(wrap, coil, or turning motion).

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
          Douglas Paul Smallish
          Jehocifer

New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            51098 Posts
            Posted: December 1, 2006, 2:49 pm - IP Logged

i think what we need to do is get away from the nitpicking of definitions.

there are some who would say, snottily, 'well, this means this, and you need this, and that could mean something else...'

open up a dictionary and you'll find many words with multiple definitions or meanings.

some are even spelled the same and pronounced differently, like wind(air motion) and wind(wrap, coil, or turning motion).

That is the purpose of compiling the definitions and alternate definitions and having a vote. If someone did not participate in compiling the definitions or in the voting process then they have no room for complaining about the definitions placed in the Lottery Glossary.

United States
              Member #2460
              October 7, 2003
              766 Posts
              Posted: December 1, 2006, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

To my friend Floridian and others: 

The mechanics or make up of a game is of course the first thing to learn.

As to prediction, scientific methodical prediction has to do with past statistics of to-be predicted lottery factor(s).

Scientific prediction is of course "Statistical Prediction" based on past statistics of lottery factors and also on the make-up of a particular lottery game.

A person should understand the general behavior and therefore limits of 'Random" as they apply to particular lottery factors, there are an unlimited numbers of these statistical to-be predicted lottery factors a person would of course use only a limited number of such factors.

First know what it is that you want to predict.

Second know one or more ways in which you might want to predict it.

Learn the possible prediction ways and use one or more of them.

There are an unlimited number of possible past stats, a person can only use a limited number of them.

Learn which statistical factor(s) are best for you to use as prediction factor(s).

Then develop a prediction system based on such factor(s).

You might need software tools or not.

A person must learn what prediction is all about and how to go about it.

Take a lesson or two from Mr. Sherlock Holmes, deductions is what is all about.

Deductions based on FACTS. 

Todd

Perhaps this post should be on another forum. 

EXCALIBUR is no more that "Handle" is dead, gone.
              Maybe sometime in the future I might come back as LANTERN again, but maybe not, if I don't come back as LANTERN in the future then I won't come back at all, but as I said there is no more EXCALIBUR.

The Quantum Master
                West Concord, MN
                United States
                Member #21
                December 7, 2001
                3684 Posts
                Posted: December 1, 2006, 3:57 pm - IP Logged

That is the purpose of compiling the definitions and alternate definitions and having a vote. If someone did not participate in compiling the definitions or in the voting process then they have no room for complaining about the definitions placed in the Lottery Glossary.

Ultimately, we want people to be making informed choices rather than rummaging through thousands of posts. they can do that eventually the more they learn and grow with us.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                Douglas Paul Smallish
                Jehocifer

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  51098 Posts
                  Posted: December 1, 2006, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

To my friend Floridian and others: 

The mechanics or make up of a game is of course the first thing to learn.

As to prediction, scientific methodical prediction has to do with past statistics of to-be predicted lottery factor(s).

Scientific prediction is of course "Statistical Prediction" based on past statistics of lottery factors and also on the make-up of a particular lottery game.

A person should understand the general behavior and therefore limits of 'Random" as they apply to particular lottery factors, there are an unlimited numbers of these statistical to-be predicted lottery factors a person would of course use only a limited number of such factors.

First know what it is that you want to predict.

Second know one or more ways in which you might want to predict it.

Learn the possible prediction ways and use one or more of them.

There are an unlimited number of possible past stats, a person can only use a limited number of them.

Learn which statistical factor(s) are best for you to use as prediction factor(s).

Then develop a prediction system based on such factor(s).

You might need software tools or not.

A person must learn what prediction is all about and how to go about it.

Take a lesson or two from Mr. Sherlock Holmes, deductions is what is all about.

Deductions based on FACTS. 

Todd

Perhaps this post should be on another forum. 

Thats like saying: You have to become a Mechanic before you can Drive a Car!

This thread is about the suggested inclusion of a Lottery Glossary on Lottery Post and the implementation of same: All the the information you mention is quite interesting, however, none of them offer up any insight into the topic at hand (Suggestion for a Lottery Glossary).

Feel free to start a thread on any of your topics (in the appropriate forum) and discuss them to your hearts content. Patriot

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                    Charlotte NC
                    United States
                    Member #17406
                    June 18, 2005
                    4054 Posts
                    Posted: December 1, 2006, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

HyperThe first thing you should do is track. 

takeemtothebank

The Quantum Master
                      West Concord, MN
                      United States
                      Member #21
                      December 7, 2001
                      3684 Posts
                      Posted: December 1, 2006, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

Here's another point: I went searching for a post I made a while back relating to some code I had posted. I'm having a hell of a time looking for something 'I' posted, 'me' one person. I still haven't found it yet, but I know what it's about. Now put yourself in the position of someone who has very little experience with the Lottery Post, their to spend hours and hours of their valuable time looking through endless mind dribble about how someone noticed a pattern but haven't come up with a working applicable theory. Sorry, personally I don't need someone paying dues or some kind of homage to me by looking through my endless mind dribble. I expect nothing in return. If you like it, use it; that's what I'm there for, use and abuse.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                      Douglas Paul Smallish
                      Jehocifer

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                        Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23351 Posts
                        Posted: December 1, 2006, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

Here's another point: I went searching for a post I made a while back relating to some code I had posted. I'm having a hell of a time looking for something 'I' posted, 'me' one person. I still haven't found it yet, but I know what it's about. Now put yourself in the position of someone who has very little experience with the Lottery Post, their to spend hours and hours of their valuable time looking through endless mind dribble about how someone noticed a pattern but haven't come up with a working applicable theory. Sorry, personally I don't need someone paying dues or some kind of homage to me by looking through my endless mind dribble. I expect nothing in return. If you like it, use it; that's what I'm there for, use and abuse.

To each their own.  Some people specifically come here looking for what you call "mind dribble".

New members need to come up to speed on any web site, not just Lottery Post, although your description of newbies basically pictures them as an empty shell filling up with "mind dribble" until some magical turning point happens.

Most people like the search page here, because it works exactly like Google.  You type something and get relevant results.  Some people (I guess yourself included) do not like it, because they want a more structured experience.  My sense is to go with the Google-style approach, because based on their success, they seem to be doing something right.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

johnph77's avatar - avatar
                          CA
                          United States
                          Member #2987
                          December 10, 2003
                          832 Posts
                          Posted: December 1, 2006, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

To each their own.  Some people specifically come here looking for what you call "mind dribble".

New members need to come up to speed on any web site, not just Lottery Post, although your description of newbies basically pictures them as an empty shell filling up with "mind dribble" until some magical turning point happens.

Most people like the search page here, because it works exactly like Google.  You type something and get relevant results.  Some people (I guess yourself included) do not like it, because they want a more structured experience.  My sense is to go with the Google-style approach, because based on their success, they seem to be doing something right.

I believe what JADELottery was referring to was that it may be possible when looking through the active topics it should be possible to mark those topics to which one has previously posted. I've seen this on other forums but don't know whether it'd be possible here.

Blessed Saint Leibowitz, keep 'em dreamin' down there..... 

Next week's convention for Psychics and Prognosticators has been cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

=^.^=

The Quantum Master
                            West Concord, MN
                            United States
                            Member #21
                            December 7, 2001
                            3684 Posts
                            Posted: December 2, 2006, 3:20 am - IP Logged

Noted and incorporated into my knowledge data base. Likewise to everyone else.

Use at your own risk.

Wisdom is Not Censored
                            Douglas Paul Smallish
                            Jehocifer

New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #17843
                              June 28, 2005
                              51098 Posts
                              Posted: December 2, 2006, 9:29 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

I had a similar experience trying to locate a previous post. I never did find it! Maybe it was colateral damage in the recent database failure?

So, do you have any interest in Working on the Lottery Glossary Project? Big Grin