Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions hit in Ohio- $40 Million

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 10 years ago by RJOh.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
Mcminnville, Oregon
United States
Member #3013
December 13, 2003
3095 Posts
Posted: December 4, 2006, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

The Mega Millions winner has come forward, Sean L. Harper of Columbus.  He used auto lotto (quick pick) and chose the cash option. Very quick to claim his jackpot.  Did not elect to form a blind trust as many winners from Ohio have done in the past.

I read the story online a little bit ago and the owner of the store who just got a $40,000 bonus told reporters.  I hope the winner of the jackpot shares some with the store employees.  So you know the owner isn't going to give any to his workers.  The funny thing is who is the owner to tell the jackpot winner what he is to do with his winnings.-weshar75

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19902 Posts
    Posted: December 4, 2006, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

I doubt he was over that way...maybe in the western part of C-bus near campus, but not over at Whitehall. I was hoping you would say Springfield...then I knew I would be down to a 1:25,000 shot at winning :)

Why would you doubt anyone would buy a lottery ticket in Whitehall?  The Shell gas station on Main street in Whitehall is glad he did since they get a bonus for selling the winning ticket.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #21206
      September 4, 2005
      949 Posts
      Posted: December 4, 2006, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I read the story online a little bit ago and the owner of the store who just got a $40,000 bonus told reporters.  I hope the winner of the jackpot shares some with the store employees.  So you know the owner isn't going to give any to his workers.  The funny thing is who is the owner to tell the jackpot winner what he is to do with his winnings.-weshar75

We had a winner of a $220M powerball jackpot at the store where I buy my tickets.  The owner of the store, the Cumberland Farms Co, received a bonus of close to $440,000 for the ticket and they did share it with the employees of the store, giving generous shares of the bonus.

Many of the employees of that store still sent letters to the winner asking for more money, telling their sad stories.    Further, having spoken with these people and having discussed the subject, I can tell you that any amount given would not, in their minds, be "enough."  I have discussed it with the employees and they all express resentment that they were never contacted by the winner, who never set foot in the store again.

In fact, the $220 million figure is a fiction.   The cash value is half of that, and then there's taxes, taxes which happen to be higher than the "withholding amount."   If the winners realized 80 million - and maybe they didn't - I'm sure they know at least 80 people - including the 20 or so employees at that store - who feel entitled to "just a million." 

Actually, if you win the lottery everybody and anybody wants your money.    The store employees did nothing more than their jobs and they are not really any more entitled to any money than your long lost cousin who just happened to hear about your good fortune and wants you to contact him.

I actually think the winners - a married couple - in this case have an excellent chance of keeping their money.  Winning the lottery doesn't mean that your a fountain of money for every person you have ever known formally or informally.   

If one seeks to be generous with his or her good fortune there are plenty of legitimate organizations with serious needs to which one cannot donate.

If I win the lottery, giving tips to store employees would be the last thing on my mind.    To be perfectly frank, over the years I've met lots of store clerks who openly express their annoyance at having to sell you a ticket.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19902 Posts
        Posted: December 4, 2006, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

When Jack Whittaker won the PowerBall jackpot a few years back, he not only set up a couple of organizations to help people through the local churches but he personally bought a house for a woman who worked at the coffee shop that he stop at every morning.  He paid eighty thousands dollars or so for a house for her as the story was written in an article that I read and she called him a cheap bas****.  It seems she expected a bigger house with a monthly check for the rest of her life so she would never have to work again. 

Jack never made any friends with the money he gave away and when members of his family had problems he not only got blamed but usually got sued too.  Jack is a good example of why a lottery winner should accept him money and never talk to strangers or store clerks with a sob story, they're nothing but trouble. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking