Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 2:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Group thought it hit the lottery; it didn't. OUCH!!

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 10 years ago by ayenowitall.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
California
United States
Member #46824
October 1, 2006
270 Posts
Posted: December 10, 2006, 8:02 pm - IP Logged

Group thought it hit lottery; it didn't

MOUSCRON, Belgium, Dec. 10 (UPI) -- A group of Belgian friends experienced the joy of thinking they hit a $35 million lottery and sorrow when they learned their numbers weren't registered.

For weeks the group of 30 players used the same combination for the EuroMillions jackpot and were thrilled when their numbers hit in Friday's drawing, the BBC said Sunday. Their good mood plummeted when they learned the person sent to buy the ticket didn't play the group's numbers, allowing the machine to choose random numbers.

The group included the owners and patrons of the cafe La Fraternelle in Mouscron, a town southwest of Brussels.

"We were all celebrating," cafe owner Christiane Farvacque said, until lottery organizers said there was no winning entry. After some investigating, Farvacque said the group found out who didn't enter the winning numbers -- a bookstore owner whose friendship is now on shaky ground with the group.

"We were all bitterly disappointed," she said. "You think you are the only winners in Europe, but you end up with nothing.
    tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: December 10, 2006, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

I feel for that fellow.. I know he must feel real sick to let so many down with his decision..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: December 10, 2006, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

I think I'd be moving, real soon.  How can you not ?  You would never live this down, ever.

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
        Mid-Missouri
        United States
        Member #644
        August 31, 2002
        4271 Posts
        Posted: December 10, 2006, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Ouch is right! That would be like this poor ole' boy...

Lottery Mistake

United States
          Member #24439
          October 22, 2005
          638 Posts
          Posted: December 10, 2006, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

They are all fools! What happened to the disbelief that other people experience when they first think they might have won the lottery.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
            Member #4121
            March 23, 2004
            817 Posts
            Posted: December 10, 2006, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

Wow! Very painful to read this story.  $35 Million!!!!!!!!! 

I got to agree, this guy has to move very quickly!

Bang Head Puke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19901 Posts
              Posted: December 10, 2006, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

It would have been worst to learn that the member who didn't play their numbers had a friend or relative who did, then they would have not only been mad at him but his friend or relative would have been suspected of scamming them.  Besides,  they should have waited for their chickens to hatch before counting them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10391 Posts
                Posted: December 10, 2006, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

Ther's probably more to the story. Since he was the runner maybe he lost the paper with all their numbers on it, or perhaps just got lazy and played the equivalent amount in quick pics.

Since they'd been playing the same numnbers I'd say this is a defintie case for advanced play, if it's available to them.

Either way  Bang Head

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5587 Posts
                  Posted: December 10, 2006, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

US FlagThis sux more than anything that has ever sucked before. Woulda, coulda, shoulda,  this is really bad, the worst of the possible things that could ever happen.  $35,000,000 piticlines that is definitely a real disappointment, oh my goodness, I really blew it this time.  Filling in some slips, too busy buying Christmas stuff,  what a slip up! Man if I had just taken 5 minutes, I might never work again.  What a bummmer.  Oh well, no biggie, we'll just play those numbers again and hope they'll drop again, maybe by the year 2546. This very thing, is what happens when you don't play your numbers.  But what if you did play those numbers? Does that guarantee that they would have fallen? NO! Absolutely not, if you had played those numbers they would have never fallen.  The reason is quantum mechanics, I am not kidding. If those numbers had been wagered, Strosniders? kitty would have appeared from within the box, and they would be no richer had they played those numbers.  LOL jarasanWhite Bounce

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3502 Posts
                    Posted: December 11, 2006, 1:29 am - IP Logged

I feel for that fellow.. I know he must feel real sick to let so many down with his decision..

Why would you feel bad for the guy who couldn't do the simple job of playing the same numbers they had been playing all along?

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                      Member #4416
                      April 22, 2004
                      1075 Posts
                      Posted: December 11, 2006, 1:42 am - IP Logged

This is yet another good reason to stay out of lottery pools. They all got hosed.

I'll take my chances on my own, thank you.

paurths's avatar - underground
                        Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
                        Belgium
                        Member #19287
                        July 29, 2005
                        2254 Posts
                        Posted: December 11, 2006, 3:06 am - IP Logged

Ther's probably more to the story. Since he was the runner maybe he lost the paper with all their numbers on it, or perhaps just got lazy and played the equivalent amount in quick pics.

Since they'd been playing the same numnbers I'd say this is a defintie case for advanced play, if it's available to them.

Either way  Bang Head

There was indeed more to this story than there is mentioned in the opening post.

These people were in a group, and played the same numbers week after week.
                        However, several times it hapened that some people did not pay their share in time, so the guy who filled in the form changed the numbers to less combinations so he did not have  to get the money out of his own pocket week after week.
                        And that is exactly what hapened last friday.
                        That was the latest story on television yesterday evening.

So, if there is anyone the people who payed their share in time should be angry at, is those who had lacked to pay their share in time.

cheers
                        Ricky

lasas3

An onion a day keeps everyone away!!!

Raven62's avatar - binary
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #17843
                          June 28, 2005
                          51138 Posts
                          Posted: December 11, 2006, 8:57 am - IP Logged

There was indeed more to this story than there is mentioned in the opening post.

However, several times it hapened that some people did not pay their share in time, so the guy who filled in the form changed the numbers to less combinations so he did not have  to get the money out of his own pocket week after week.

So, if there is anyone the people who payed their share in time should be angry at, is those who had lacked to pay their share in time.

cheers
                          Ricky

Thanks for the additional information Ricky!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19901 Posts
                            Posted: December 11, 2006, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

cheers
                            Ricky

At least since the group didn't win anything, those members who didn't contribute to help buy tickets won't have to go to court to get an equal share of the winnings.  No matter how they divide zero it comes out the same for everybody.  That's the chance one takes when joining a lottery pool.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
                              Florida
                              United States
                              Member #6147
                              August 8, 2004
                              1396 Posts
                              Posted: December 11, 2006, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the other side of the story, Ricky....there always seems to be one.

Good Luck!

Stavros