Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Group thought it hit the lottery; it didn't. OUCH!!

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 10 years ago by ayenowitall.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
paurths's avatar - underground
Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
Belgium
Member #19287
July 29, 2005
2254 Posts
Posted: December 11, 2006, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

Well,they seem to have won something,

about 180 euro's, which is about $215, each.

At least they were able to pay for the champagne they had already ordered...

lasas3

An onion a day keeps everyone away!!!

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7712 Posts
    Posted: December 11, 2006, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

Ouch is right! That would be like this poor ole' boy...

Lottery Mistake

This is hilarious Bryan! Thanks for sharing it!!  Big Grin Santa

Has been a most amusing day on LP today, lots of giggles. Guess everyone's getting into the holiday spirit!! Smiley Santa 

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49699 Posts
      Posted: December 12, 2006, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

12 December 2006

I LOST MY LOTTO SYNDICATE £18M

Woman leaves town after failing to put on winning EuroMillions numbers

By Dennis Newson

A NEWSAGENT tore up a lottery entry that would have won her syndicate £18 million.

Now Dominique Baecq fears she will have to move to escape the wrath of those who lost out.

She said: "I collapsed on the sofa when I saw the winning numbers and haven't stopped crying for two days."

"We'll be the laughing stock of the whole town. For as long as we live here people will point their fingers at me, my husband and our five children. We daren't show our faces."

The 32-year-old had been putting on EuroMillions tickets for a group of 36 people from her local pub.

Syndicate members each paid five euros (about £3.40) and played the same numbers every week. But last week, six people failed to pay and Dominique was left about £20 short.

She said: "This wasn't the first time we didn't get all the money."

"Only the week before, I had to dip into my own pocket - but I couldn't do this forever."

"I've asked myself a thousand times why I didn't tell other players and ask what to do. But I didn't. Now it's all my fault."

Dominique thought the best idea was to let the lottery machine pick random numbers.

But disaster struck three days later when a player ran into her shop and said: "We've won."

She couldn't face the syndicate in the La Fraternelle pub, in Mouscron, Belgium, so her husband had to break the news.

Publican Jacky Fervacque, 50, said: "We guessed something was wrong as we had phoned EuroMillions and they said nobody had won the jackpot.

"It's a disaster as this money, about £500,000 each, would have changed our lives."

"Some of our customers are out of work and many are struggling to bring up families."

Patrice D'Hoop, one of the losers, said: "I suppose it was a human error - but one can't forgive something like this."

A Highland lottery winner who matched five numbers and the bonus ball in the draw on Wednesday, November 15, has yet to claim their £87,000 prize.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Belgium
        Member #19287
        July 29, 2005
        2254 Posts
        Posted: December 12, 2006, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

12 December 2006

I LOST MY LOTTO SYNDICATE £18M

Woman leaves town after failing to put on winning EuroMillions numbers

By Dennis Newson

A NEWSAGENT tore up a lottery entry that would have won her syndicate £18 million.

Now Dominique Baecq fears she will have to move to escape the wrath of those who lost out.

She said: "I collapsed on the sofa when I saw the winning numbers and haven't stopped crying for two days."

"We'll be the laughing stock of the whole town. For as long as we live here people will point their fingers at me, my husband and our five children. We daren't show our faces."

The 32-year-old had been putting on EuroMillions tickets for a group of 36 people from her local pub.

Syndicate members each paid five euros (about £3.40) and played the same numbers every week. But last week, six people failed to pay and Dominique was left about £20 short.

She said: "This wasn't the first time we didn't get all the money."

"Only the week before, I had to dip into my own pocket - but I couldn't do this forever."

"I've asked myself a thousand times why I didn't tell other players and ask what to do. But I didn't. Now it's all my fault."

Dominique thought the best idea was to let the lottery machine pick random numbers.

But disaster struck three days later when a player ran into her shop and said: "We've won."

She couldn't face the syndicate in the La Fraternelle pub, in Mouscron, Belgium, so her husband had to break the news.

Publican Jacky Fervacque, 50, said: "We guessed something was wrong as we had phoned EuroMillions and they said nobody had won the jackpot.

"It's a disaster as this money, about £500,000 each, would have changed our lives."

"Some of our customers are out of work and many are struggling to bring up families."

Patrice D'Hoop, one of the losers, said: "I suppose it was a human error - but one can't forgive something like this."

A Highland lottery winner who matched five numbers and the bonus ball in the draw on Wednesday, November 15, has yet to claim their £87,000 prize.

Someone is going to make money out of this.

They now hired a lawyer and are going after the lottery commission in Belgium.
        They expect to get each 25.000 euro's from the Nationale Loterij.

Brrrr, why in heavens name would they get this money?
        Soon everyone will be in court, claiming they are entitled to a few thousand because they did not validate their tickets.

It is hard what happened to them, but this is getting stupid,
        the lawyer will be making some money, and he will be the only one.

Ricky 

lasas3

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
          Member #4121
          March 23, 2004
          817 Posts
          Posted: December 12, 2006, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

There are always two sides of every story.  I got to admit I was wrong to judge him.  I think it was the non payers fault.  

Party

Belgium
            Member #19287
            July 29, 2005
            2254 Posts
            Posted: December 12, 2006, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

There are always two sides of every story.  I got to admit I was wrong to judge him.  I think it was the non payers fault.  

Party

That is exactly what i think too.
            Play in group? Pay up front, it's as easy as that...

lasas3

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49699 Posts
              Posted: December 12, 2006, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

Party

However the Ticket Purchaser should have notified the other Members of the Lottery Pool about the NON-PAYING Members, and they should have decided as a Group how to handle the problem instead of taking it upon herself to Purchase the Tickets in a Manner NOT agreed upon by the Group.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23260 Posts
                Posted: December 12, 2006, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

It's all of their faults for playing in a lottery pool in the first place.  Terrible idea!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: December 13, 2006, 1:21 am - IP Logged

However the Ticket Purchaser should have notified the other Members of the Lottery Pool about the NON-PAYING Members, and they should have decided as a Group how to handle the problem instead of taking it upon herself to Purchase the Tickets in a Manner NOT agreed upon by the Group.

It's the fault of the whole group for not making adequate plans. It's a foregone conclusion that a some point somebody won't pay on time, so anyone with a brain could account for that in the pool's agreement. A good plan would also require paying far enough in advance that soembody who fails to pay on time has a chance to get squared before tickest are purchased.

Sure, in the absence of a good plan the one buying the tickets could have asked the group, but how long would it take to ask 30 people who are customers in a bar? How much would they have won if the decision was to chip in the extra cash to play all of the numbers, but by the time they all agreed ticket sales had stopped and they didn't play any numbers at all?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: December 13, 2006, 2:13 am - IP Logged

It's all of their faults for playing in a lottery pool in the first place.  Terrible idea!

I agree. I only think about joining a pool sometimes to increase my chances but it can create so many problems. However, if the tickets had been copied or scanned for each member, at least the error would have been caught.  I also agree with other members here that we're not getting the whole story.  Why would someone suddenly buy quick picks?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: December 13, 2006, 2:18 am - IP Logged

I think I'd be moving, real soon.  How can you not ?  You would never live this down, ever.

Yeah, like Bill Buckner.  A talented baseball player until one game in 86 that will haunt him until he dies. 

All jokes aside, if someone cost a group $35M I'd be moving out in the middle of the night if I were he.  

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                        Member #4416
                        April 22, 2004
                        1075 Posts
                        Posted: December 13, 2006, 3:51 am - IP Logged

Amen.