Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Are there any atheist/agnostic jackpot winners?

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 10 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: January 12, 2007, 12:45 am - IP Logged

I am really curious about that because most of jackpot winners seem to have some kind of religions.

Well, I am an agnostic. (or maybe a really confused deist.) I had a dream that some people gave me lottery numbers. I am about to become a real skeptic because of this.

But if I ever win a jackpot, I'll proudly announce to the whole world that I am an agnostic, or a very unsure and confused deist.

JADELottery's avatar - Inky Move-01.gif
    The Quantum Master
    West Concord, MN
    United States
    Member #21
    December 7, 2001
    3680 Posts
    Posted: January 12, 2007, 1:18 am - IP Logged

I'm not a jackpot winner, but I am a Paradoxical Relativist.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
    Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
    Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
    Knowledge is Beyond Belief
    Wisdom is Not Censored
    Douglas Paul Smallish
    Jehocifer

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3502 Posts
      Posted: January 12, 2007, 1:59 am - IP Logged

I would guess that the percentage of jackpot winners who are atheists, agnostics, Buddhists or Jehovah's Witnesses matches fairly well with the percentage of  players who are atheists, agnostics or Buddhists or Jehovah's Witnesses. Most people have some kind of religion, so most jackpot winners having some religion is what I'd expect.  Jehovah's Witnesses aren't supposed to gamble, so oyu shouldn't see many of them winning jackpots, but if 1/10th of 1% of tickets are bought by Jehovah's Witnesses then about 1/10th of 1% of jackpots should be won by them.

I'd be happy to make your day and  win PB Saturday night and announce my atheism if I hold a press conference.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #1303
        March 27, 2003
        1508 Posts
        Posted: January 12, 2007, 8:57 am - IP Logged

I am really curious about that because most of jackpot winners seem to have some kind of religions.

Well, I am an agnostic. (or maybe a really confused deist.) I had a dream that some people gave me lottery numbers. I am about to become a real skeptic because of this.

But if I ever win a jackpot, I'll proudly announce to the whole world that I am an agnostic, or a very unsure and confused deist.

I would think that, since most people affiliate themselves with one religion or another, then most jackpot winners would profess one religion or another.  If most people were either atheist or agnostic, then most jackpot winners would be atheist or agnostic.

It's just a matter of percentages.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3090 Posts
          Posted: January 12, 2007, 11:54 am - IP Logged

Well when I win the Powerball jackpot on Saturday night.  I will not hold a press conference so that the world can figure me out.  The only thing that people need to know is I won and they did not!-weshar75

iowa
            United States
            Member #32899
            February 16, 2006
            46 Posts
            Posted: January 13, 2007, 1:41 am - IP Logged

Agnostic here. If you are becoming a skeptic because of your dream, then you need to expand your worldview and explore some of the different hypotheses in relation to dreams and the subconscious. Having nothing to do with dreams, you should study David Bohm's theories on the explicate/implicate order. Quantum physical models of reality are infinitely interesting(no pun intended)!

Kola's avatar - image
              Blundering Time Traveler

United States
              Member #28945
              December 25, 2005
              1532 Posts
              Posted: January 13, 2007, 8:37 am - IP Logged

Agnostic here. If you are becoming a skeptic because of your dream, then you need to expand your worldview and explore some of the different hypotheses in relation to dreams and the subconscious. Having nothing to do with dreams, you should study David Bohm's theories on the explicate/implicate order. Quantum physical models of reality are infinitely interesting(no pun intended)!

Hello mangeydog, you might also like Michael Talbot's THE HOLOGRAPHIC UNIVERSE where he elegantly and rigorously expounds upon Bohm's explicate/implicate order theory and other theories while broadening the model using subjects like religion, science, history, unexplainable mysteries, and etc. It is extremely well written as he weaves a complex, yet easy to grasp web that convincingly connects all the these subjects to a fundamental hub that supports all and yet transcends them. Its  one of my favorite books that will challenge the Agnostic, Atheist and The Believer alike.

Enjoy!

Our 2nd class in Pick 3 Lore was Space-Timing The Next Draw and we found the Lottery LoreKeeper, Tatiana, staring through her telescope, while we covertly giggled about what does Planet X have to do with what my next draw is? The sleuthy sage quietly intoned, "It is known that when the light(information) from such a distant object reaches our eyes, we are seeing the object as it was in the past & not as it appears Now in the present. Isn't this true for all things, especially numbers, that were drawn years, months, weeks or even just a day in the past? To accurately find the next draw, use the Law of Now(Tatiana's Pillar)". We never giggled again.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10389 Posts
                Posted: January 14, 2007, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

ambelamba

Germany, California, Arizona, Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio.... I've played lotto in those places and can't recall ever once bwing asked what faith I was or wasn't before handing in my buck or two and a playslip. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

iowa
                  United States
                  Member #32899
                  February 16, 2006
                  46 Posts
                  Posted: January 14, 2007, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the tip Kola. I remember from the title, I think, I browsed the book once. I'll have to pick it up sometime.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: January 14, 2007, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

ambelamba

Germany, California, Arizona, Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio.... I've played lotto in those places and can't recall ever once bwing asked what faith I was or wasn't before handing in my buck or two and a playslip. 

Is there a species law?  I mean, does it say on the lottery ticket that a player has to be human to win?  If you trained your dog to buy a ticket, could he win?  Some might say the dog would need a soc sec #, but many foreigners win.  As long as the dog had the proper papers, I suppose he would qualify. How about intergalactic travelers?  Do you think someone from another galaxy would be questioned?

One of the things I've noticed is how many people who win have moles.  Although they vary in size and shape, there is definitely some correlation between people with moles and lottery winners.  Liver spots are a close second.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10389 Posts
                      Posted: January 14, 2007, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

The Weekly World News once ran a story about a chimpanzee that hit a jackpot, had a picture of him smoking a cigar, drinking champagne, and holding the ticket.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: January 14, 2007, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

The Weekly World News once ran a story about a chimpanzee that hit a jackpot, had a picture of him smoking a cigar, drinking champagne, and holding the ticket.

Wow.  He must have gone ape when he found out that he won.  I hope he didn't monkey around with the money and invested it well.  Hope he gave up smoking too.

takeitez's avatar - japheth
                          Carters Lake, Ga.
                          United States
                          Member #5313
                          June 29, 2004
                          1065 Posts
                          Posted: January 14, 2007, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Wow.  He must have gone ape when he found out that he won.  I hope he didn't monkey around with the money and invested it well.  Hope he gave up smoking too.

The word on the street is, " he went bananas".

ez

No Pity!Guitar  Drum ........ in the long run........

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: January 14, 2007, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

The word on the street is, " he went bananas".

ez

Thanks a bunch for the info, takeitez.  I hope if he went to court he won his case on a peel.

takeitez's avatar - japheth
                              Carters Lake, Ga.
                              United States
                              Member #5313
                              June 29, 2004
                              1065 Posts
                              Posted: January 14, 2007, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

Thanks a bunch for the info, takeitez.  I hope if he went to court he won his case on a peel.

Ah, but you know xploring, in court a peel is a slippery thing! He does have a slick lawyer.

ez

No Pity!Guitar  Drum ........ in the long run........