Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A question about sharing your wealth with others.

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 10 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you let others make you feel bad for not giving them any of your jackpot?

Yes [ 5 ]  [8.20%]
No [ 56 ]  [91.80%]
Total Valid Votes [ 61 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
Indiana
United States
Member #48725
January 7, 2007
1953 Posts
Posted: January 31, 2007, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

We've all read the horror stories. Someone hits the jackpot. All of a sudden family, friends, and people they didn't even know came running to them for money. Eventually, they end up giving it all away and they're back to where they were. My question to you all is: Would you let other people make you feel bad for not giving them money? I would certainly share some of the money I won, but I REFUSE to let someone make me feel bad for not giving them any of it. They might make you feel as if you're being selfish, but in reality, rich people need to have self control on how much they spend otherwise they'll end up losing it. They can't be brought down by others for not giving them money.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Greenwich, CT
    United States
    Member #4793
    May 24, 2004
    1822 Posts
    Posted: January 31, 2007, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

I would probably feel guilty about saying no to friends and family who asked for excessive amounts (i.e., more than I think they should get from my win!).  Lotteries should require that lottery winners go through mental counseling and coaching, about what responses and demands to expect from friends and family.

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
      Florida
      United States
      Member #6147
      August 8, 2004
      1396 Posts
      Posted: January 31, 2007, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

If I were to win big, I would freely give to family and friends the amounts I felt comfortable with.  I would not feel pressured into doing this, and would not feel guilty about not sharing if that were mu choice.

Good Luck!

Stavros

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: January 31, 2007, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

Nobody will make me feel bad about it, they can play the game just like I can.

The ONLY way someone is going to get something out of me is by me judging how they have treated me in the past: if it's someone I have not heard from in 'forever', then no.  If it's someone that has kept in touch with me, and they are honest, hard-working people, then what I would consider doing is something based on need, but I will never give anyone money. 

What I mean is, if someone has their car blow up, I would consider buying them one (no, not a BMW, and not a new car, either), or I may consider paying a medical bill, but I will be the one writing the check to the Dr. or Hospital, I won't write a check to an individual or to a credit card company.   You get yourself into credit card debt: you can get yourself out of it. 

But above all - you gotta know when to say no, and you need to learn to say it often. 

Alabama
          United States
          Member #17830
          June 27, 2005
          309 Posts
          Posted: January 31, 2007, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I voted "no."  Actually I would have voted "HELL NO!!" if it was one of the options.  For me, that sums it up much better.

If folks want money, they can do what I do: set aside money to play and study the game(s).  Since Alabama has no lottery, I have to drive to Georgia for my tickets.  Or get them while I'm on vacation.  Counting travel and game analysis,  I spend a fair amount of time and effort playing the lottery, and I'll be damned if I'm gonna give it away to every Jane or Joe who decides to show up at my door or rings me up.  Of course, I have to win a jackpot first before I worry about such things! Big Grin

If I do ever win, I think I'll have the press conference at the range where I shoot.  Maybe the bold ones will get the picture. Evil Smile

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2007, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

I could not image asking a lottery winner for any of their money.  I have never really thought of anyone I know who would ask me for my winnings.  I am a very generous person right now...  Winning a big one...  I would put the money in trust funds for my grandchildren.. and if anyone asked me for money, (which I know wouldn't be a friend or family ), I would tell them I have it put away for the children.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10344 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2007, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

Add me to the No votes.

For one thing, there would be too many others.

For another, I remember one winner who was interviewed and said he had several given people a million dollars each, and every single one of them came back to him asking for more.

We play Mega Millions with a friend of ours who has a shop. Everytime he asks how many want to play he gets the song and dance about "the chances of being hit by lightning...blah blah" everyone here knows that routine I'm sure. But there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if the three of us that do play ever didhit a jackpot, everyone else in that shop would be saying, "Cut me in, you know I'm good for a buck and would have given you one if you would have asked me."

Hello, he did ask.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                FEMA Region V Camp #21
                United States
                Member #520
                July 27, 2002
                5699 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2007, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

I voted no.

My response to the guilt-layer:  "Are you prepared to give me the same amount of time and money I've invested in this pursuit?"

"After that, we'll talk". 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: January 31, 2007, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

Interesting question.  I voted "No."  A "friend"  (notice the quotes) said to me a few weeks ago that she would share with me if she ever won.  I asked if she bought tickets and she answered "only once in a while when the jackpot is high."  Well, my answer to her was "I have been buying tickets regularly for many years and if I win, I probably won't share my prize with you."  She didn't appreciate the honesty. 

By the way, although it has absolutely nothing to do with the lottery, this person is no longer my friend.  We aren't even on speaking terms.  So I definitely don't feel guilty about what I said to her.  If I didn't help out a close relative or friend in need, then I would definitely feel a little guilty.  Why wouldn't I help someone out who needs the money? However, I would never feel obligated to share.  I do feel that if we have a lot of money and are fortunate to have everything we need, we should be giving back and helping other people.

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
                    Lotto City, Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #36256
                    March 30, 2006
                    1472 Posts
                    Posted: January 31, 2007, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

Would I let other people make me feel bad for not giving them money? People don't control my emotions...I do. Family or not family, I would give to the godly man, but not the sinner. Don't cast your pearls before swines. They'll  trample them and charge after you!

dphillips's avatar - littleuns
                      Albuquerque, New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #5128
                      June 18, 2004
                      377 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2007, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

Hey, I look at it from this standpoint. If you didn't give me any money toward the lottery, then you'll not receive any money when I win.  The end of the discussion, period!

My favorite charity would be the ASPCA. They, the animals, have no voice and they are innocent victims.  People, on the other hand, know better -- so I'm not full of compassion and mercy (unless they are babies and the elderly.)

So, having said my mouthful, no winner owes a family member,  a friend, or an associate -- anything.  If gifts are being bestowed (lottery winnings), the giver is giving from the kindness of his or her heart, not because of an obligation.

See Ya!-- Bye, bye!  When you win, may you glow as brightly as theSun Smiley

Sunny California
                        United States
                        Member #40295
                        May 31, 2006
                        7712 Posts
                        Posted: February 1, 2007, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

I'd have to say no. Many times I have asked my cousin for help in doing some tedious lottery data gathering so I could work on more important things and he has continually refused me even when I offered to pay him. So, when I win, I can't wait to share my good news with him. In fact, he will be the first person I call!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                          Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: February 2, 2007, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

I'd have to say no. Many times I have asked my cousin for help in doing some tedious lottery data gathering so I could work on more important things and he has continually refused me even when I offered to pay him. So, when I win, I can't wait to share my good news with him. In fact, he will be the first person I call!

Be careful.  Being vindictive might cause more problems than you expect.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #22395
                            September 24, 2005
                            1583 Posts
                            Posted: February 3, 2007, 5:30 am - IP Logged

I was taught by the "Little Red Hen"

Check Google if you don't remember that story.   

s5thomps's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
                              Hard Luck, Ak
                              United States
                              Member #23472
                              October 13, 2005
                              275 Posts
                              Posted: February 3, 2007, 5:33 am - IP Logged

I would also say no, Your immediate plans should be to take care of your family and set aside money for your future so you would not have to work unless you chose to. Personally I have a list of people that have helped me along the way that I would certainly help out. My mom is at the top of my list, My father passed away a couple of years ago and left her in pretty good shape financially. As for myself I have not been doing to well in the finacial department. She has helped me to stay afloat these  past couple of years while managing to pay off two vehicles and eliminating credit card debt. The only debt that she haves is a mortgage on the house which will be paid off in about 7 years.  If I am ever lucky enough to win the first thing that I would do is pay off my parents house and give her anything that she wanted. Knowing my mother she probally would just want the house paid off and maybe a couple of thousand dollars. Then I after my mother is taken care of I would look after my children and siblings. I would also give 10-12% to my church and set up investments for my self to ensure that I am financially stable for the rest of my life. Then I would  have some fun and take a long vacation and plan out the rest of my life!!!         

Big Grin Angel