Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A question about sharing your wealth with others.

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 10 years ago by RJOh.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you let others make you feel bad for not giving them any of your jackpot?

Yes [ 5 ]  [8.20%]
No [ 56 ]  [91.80%]
Total Valid Votes [ 61 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: February 5, 2007, 2:20 am - IP Logged

Thanks JX, I grieve all the time, and I also keep it in perspective, people lose loved ones every minute - human and animal.

Barbaro kinda bothered me for awhile, the kids getting killed in Iraq and Afghanistan bother me, any loss of innocent life bothers me....

As far as giving to charity, and the charity doing things you don't agree with, this is where you give to charities you are PERSONALLY involved in. It doesn't take much to learn first-hand, but if you believe in it, then give. 

I would give to the Humane Society, I would avoid the United Way with a 10 foot pole.

I'd visit my former high school, see what they need, see what *I* think they need, and *I* would buy it and donate it. This comes back to giving money to 'family' - don't.  You can pay a bill for them, but never give cash directly to them.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2007, 4:52 am - IP Logged

Thanks JX, I grieve all the time, and I also keep it in perspective, people lose loved ones every minute - human and animal.

Barbaro kinda bothered me for awhile, the kids getting killed in Iraq and Afghanistan bother me, any loss of innocent life bothers me....

As far as giving to charity, and the charity doing things you don't agree with, this is where you give to charities you are PERSONALLY involved in. It doesn't take much to learn first-hand, but if you believe in it, then give. 

I would give to the Humane Society, I would avoid the United Way with a 10 foot pole.

I'd visit my former high school, see what they need, see what *I* think they need, and *I* would buy it and donate it. This comes back to giving money to 'family' - don't.  You can pay a bill for them, but never give cash directly to them.

Well, this subject could go on forever.  I agree that sometimes it's not a good idea to send money to relatives, but I think we all need to use our gut feelings and personal situations to make those decisions.  I would definitely pay her medical bills and insurance premiums and send the $12,000 allowable tax exempt gift to my sister if I won several million.  I wouldn't tell her what to do with it. That would be her choice.  I agree about organizations like the United Way, even the Red Cross. I'd rather go directly to the source. Once I settled down and was unknown, I could always join food drives and take bags of groceries to needy families or give to the small, no-kill private animal shelters.

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
      San Jose, California
      United States
      Member #42003
      June 26, 2006
      206 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2007, 5:06 am - IP Logged

I will not give money just to make people feel that I am a good guy. I don't have much money, but I've been through some situation that people were thinking we (our family) are bankers or charity organization. They were asking for $2000 and creating some stories to appear that I really need the money. 

A home is what my Mom and my brothers need now. If I hit the jackpot, I will buy them a 4 bedrooms home. So they can stay away from my lazy and troublesome father. 

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
        Lotto City, Michigan
        United States
        Member #36256
        March 30, 2006
        1472 Posts
        Posted: February 5, 2007, 6:10 am - IP Logged

I used to think I controlled my own emotions, until my mother passed away, and until last month when one of my cats died....

Sorry to hear of your loss. Good Luck to you.

cableman753's avatar - 8ball
          Milan Tn. 4 now
          United States
          Member #48261
          December 18, 2006
          22 Posts
          Posted: February 6, 2007, 11:21 am - IP Logged

well said Cheers

Dolce, Illinois
            United States
            Member #26462
            November 18, 2005
            50 Posts
            Posted: February 6, 2007, 11:46 am - IP Logged

Being rich after a lottery win should not change who you are to begin with.  As we've seen with many winners in the past, how they lived prior greatly determined how they were when rich.  It all happens so fast, they didn't have time to change and reacted much like most of us would have; mostly by instinct.

However, sharing your cash, I think, is based on what kind of person you REALLY are.  Are you kind?  Helpful?  Appreciate your friends?  Have enough common sense to know when someone is gaming you for your dough? 

Probably the best answer to the question is if you will at least be kind, fair and decent you will have no problems with sorting out cash requests.  Cash changes just about everything, so how youd deal with others will be under the microscope.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19817 Posts
              Posted: February 6, 2007, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Everybody has something of value worth sharing, if it not cash then their time, their labor or knowledge.  A person who will not share what he has to offer in exchange for your cash doesn't desire your cash.  Giving cash to such people just because you have it is not kindness but foolishness.  Sharing should work both ways

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: February 6, 2007, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

Everybody has something of value worth sharing, if it not cash then their time, their labor or knowledge.  A person who will not share what he has to offer in exchange for your cash doesn't desire your cash.  Giving cash to such people just because you have it is not kindness but foolishness.  Sharing should work both ways

RJOh, I agree with your first sentence.  One doesn't have to be rich to give his time or his love to others. I disagree that payback is necessary in all cases however.  It depends upon your relationship. Once a neighbor was short on the rent.  I didn't know him well, but he had a baby and his wife ran a paper route in the morning.  It had to be around 2001, because my Hyundai was fairly new.  Anyway, I told him I'd pay him if he would wash and wax my car and vacuum the inside.  I honestly don't remember what he charged me (think it was $50) but he quoted me a figure and I agreed.  So there's an example of someone working for the money. I honestly didn't care how he spent it, since he offered a service and I paid for it.  However, if suddenly I had $50 million, I wouldn't hesitate to give money to people I know who are in need or family members who worry about making ends meet.  I certainly wouldn't send millions, but I would make sure the mortgage (or rent) was paid every month and wouldn't expect anythiing in return.

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                  Member #38687
                  May 3, 2006
                  315 Posts
                  Posted: February 15, 2007, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

why should i feel bad about not giving away something that I won.....

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                    Member #567
                    August 14, 2002
                    482 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2007, 10:52 am - IP Logged

The only solution is to remain anonymous.......

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: February 16, 2007, 11:17 am - IP Logged

The only solution is to remain anonymous.......

Why ?

You learn that your favorite word is 'NO'.

IF someone asks you for any favors, you say NO and/or hang up the phone or shut the door in someone's face, family or not. The only 'family' I would take care of are those that have taken care of me, and that's a short list I can count on one hand.

You can let it consume you, or you can deal with it head-on, and you can only claim it anonymously if you won it while a resident of 3 states, which is probably 2 by now (Powerball, that is).

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                        Member #567
                        August 14, 2002
                        482 Posts
                        Posted: February 16, 2007, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

Why ?

You learn that your favorite word is 'NO'.

IF someone asks you for any favors, you say NO and/or hang up the phone or shut the door in someone's face, family or not. The only 'family' I would take care of are those that have taken care of me, and that's a short list I can count on one hand.

You can let it consume you, or you can deal with it head-on, and you can only claim it anonymously if you won it while a resident of 3 states, which is probably 2 by now (Powerball, that is).

But you can go to the states where you can remain anonymous and try to win it there...........

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: February 16, 2007, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

But you can go to the states where you can remain anonymous and try to win it there...........

I should not even dignify that with a response...

If folks are so absolutely scared to death of being known as lottery winners, then they should not be playing the game.

Rich people, CEO's, Pro Athletes, etc.  deal with it every day, key phrase there is 'deal with it'. If you can't possibly deal with people knowing you won the lottery, how can you possibly deal with people knowing you are rich ?

If you go from living in a $75,000 house, wearing jeans and driving a Chevy, to living in a $350,000 house (or more), wearing Khakis, driving a Caddy and taking long vacations to Europe, in addition to quitting your job, dontcha' think your friends and family will gather something resembling a clue ?

And don't even pretend to say your lifestyle will not change one bit, if it didn't, then what's the point of even playing the lottery ?

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: February 16, 2007, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

I should not even dignify that with a response...

If folks are so absolutely scared to death of being known as lottery winners, then they should not be playing the game.

Rich people, CEO's, Pro Athletes, etc.  deal with it every day, key phrase there is 'deal with it'. If you can't possibly deal with people knowing you won the lottery, how can you possibly deal with people knowing you are rich ?

If you go from living in a $75,000 house, wearing jeans and driving a Chevy, to living in a $350,000 house (or more), wearing Khakis, driving a Caddy and taking long vacations to Europe, in addition to quitting your job, dontcha' think your friends and family will gather something resembling a clue ?

And don't even pretend to say your lifestyle will not change one bit, if it didn't, then what's the point of even playing the lottery ?

I Agree!

I do think remaining anonymous would be nice, only to avoid the press and other nuisances.  However, it's so easy to simply go to a local store and buy a ticket.  Why go out of your way to play a game that has such astronomical odds?  This is a game and, although it could change my life, when I forget that it's a game is when I need to get serious counseling. (actually, I probably do now since I often think I've got a chance. lol)

When I look in the paper every week there are lots of homes ("bargains") on the market for over $5 million.  I doubt if any poor people live in them.  They probably socialize in their own circles or keep low profles. (or they're too busy traveling and having a good time!)  By the way, I've got a couple of relatives (my Mom's brother is one) who are multi-millionaires and I don't expect to ever get a dime from any of them.

Oh, Guesser...since you brought it up.  I doubt if my lifestyle would change dramatically.  No, I don't hang around bars like Jack Whittaker, but I also don't like rich people.  I know that's a broad statement, but I'm talking about wealthy, flashy people in general.  There are lots of artistic communities I might want to live in where people are financially comfortable, but they are more interested in improving the world than spending money on fancy cars or gaudy jewelry. Of course I'd buy a nice home and pay off my debts, get a good health insurance plan, and buy some new clothes, but "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" was never my attitude.  I'd rather have a puppy.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19817 Posts
                              Posted: February 16, 2007, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

I have accumulated a wealth of knowledge about playing the lotteries and if it helps me win a large lottery jackpot, I will be more than happy to share that wealth with my friends and family so they can do the same, but not the money. 

Give a man money and he will need some more later, but give him a winning lottery system and he will find extra cash to buy lottery tickets.  Then when he ask you for money, you can tell him if he has extra cash for lottery tickets then he doesn't need to be bothering you for money.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking