Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Play to lose!!

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Pilot.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NYC
United States
Member #43059
July 12, 2006
39 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2007, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Pick 10 in NY pays out $4 if you have no winning numbers.
10/20/80...look at it this way...the odds are much better picking 10 from 60 than 10 from 20 out of 80, right? so I've been trying to "lose" for the past couple of days and yes I do get 9/10 losing numbers or 8 of 10...heh heh,
the odds are better but it isnt easy like I expected.

I'm trying to come up with a formula, but so far nothing.

I've tried pi x number x 2 and that is a bust. Always one number shows up.
This makes me mad because it should be easy!!
the no-wins pay out 13,000 and change every day, so somebody is getting it.

I would like to take out a little of the guesswork, but hitting one number will knock you out!
I WANT TO LOSE!!!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PIlot

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2007, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

I'll mail you all the crumpled up tickets here in my waste basket...

Lkydeb*594's avatar - yummyxmascat
      Luv Vtracs 8-)

United States
      Member #38062
      April 23, 2006
      12580 Posts
      Posted: March 1, 2007, 2:50 am - IP Logged

I'll mail you all the crumpled up tickets here in my waste basket...

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23262 Posts
        Posted: March 1, 2007, 7:05 am - IP Logged

Pick 10 in NY pays out $4 if you have no winning numbers.
        10/20/80...look at it this way...the odds are much better picking 10 from 60 than 10 from 20 out of 80, right? so I've been trying to "lose" for the past couple of days and yes I do get 9/10 losing numbers or 8 of 10...heh heh,
        the odds are better but it isnt easy like I expected.

I'm trying to come up with a formula, but so far nothing.

I've tried pi x number x 2 and that is a bust. Always one number shows up.
        This makes me mad because it should be easy!!
        the no-wins pay out 13,000 and change every day, so somebody is getting it.

I would like to take out a little of the guesswork, but hitting one number will knock you out!
        I WANT TO LOSE!!!!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PIlot

An interesting thought, but why would you play for a $4 prize?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: March 1, 2007, 7:47 am - IP Logged

An interesting thought, but why would you play for a $4 prize?

People do that all the time with scratch offs.. they go for less than  $4...  Usually play to lose..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23262 Posts
            Posted: March 1, 2007, 8:05 am - IP Logged

People do that all the time with scratch offs.. they go for less than  $4...  Usually play to lose..

I don't understand.  How can you try to get any particular prize in a scratch game?

NYC
              United States
              Member #43059
              July 12, 2006
              39 Posts
              Posted: March 1, 2007, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Todd,

Why would I play for a $4 prize? $4 is better than $0, and if I had a pretty good idea that I would not hit any #'s why, then I'd bet 20 times and get me $80, do the math, if the odds are better : picking 10 of 60 that won't hit and playing those numbers 20, 50 or more times, those little $4 prizes add up.

I am looking for the holy grail, some kind of formula that will work most of the time to help pick losing #s.

Such a humble request...
              I think this is how keno players in NY work this game. Top prizes are so rare.
              Pilot

Sunny California
                United States
                Member #40295
                May 31, 2006
                7712 Posts
                Posted: March 1, 2007, 9:59 am - IP Logged

Well,for starters,how about using my "new magic boxes"?  LOL  27 losing combos in that box would net you $81, assuming you're playing a buck a draw.

Sunny California
                  United States
                  Member #40295
                  May 31, 2006
                  7712 Posts
                  Posted: March 1, 2007, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Whoops,I read that wrong,Pilot. You're talking about a pick 10 game,right? Sorry! It seems like it would be easy enough to pick wrong numbers, but you're right! When you want to pick them you can't but when you're trying NOT to pick them you can. Go figure!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: March 1, 2007, 10:04 am - IP Logged

Pilot

The "house", the lottery in this case, knows that you are more likely to hit a number in that case than to not hit any numbers.  

No matter what kind of formula you try to come up with, it's still going to come down to payouts based on the percentages of times a player plays and hits numbers.

On Pick 6 games for example, on a $1 play (two lines of numbers), people hit 0, 1, or 2 numbers, of the 12 numbers played.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23262 Posts
                      Posted: March 1, 2007, 10:45 am - IP Logged

Todd,

Why would I play for a $4 prize? $4 is better than $0, and if I had a pretty good idea that I would not hit any #'s why, then I'd bet 20 times and get me $80, do the math, if the odds are better : picking 10 of 60 that won't hit and playing those numbers 20, 50 or more times, those little $4 prizes add up.

I am looking for the holy grail, some kind of formula that will work most of the time to help pick losing #s.

Such a humble request...
                      I think this is how keno players in NY work this game. Top prizes are so rare.
                      Pilot

Well .... um .... OK .... I guess.

I usually play lotto games to try and win the top prize, but if going after the $4 prizes is your thing, then so be it.

I am not aware of a strategy for that, other than maybe looking at cold/hot numbers.  Some people think cold will stay cold and hot will stay hot, and other people feel the opposite.  Whatever theory you have on that would be applied to the stats for the game.

Here are the stats for New York's Pick 10 game, which should help you out:

http://www.lotterypost.com/game/147/stats

NYC
                        United States
                        Member #43059
                        July 12, 2006
                        39 Posts
                        Posted: March 1, 2007, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Pilot

The "house", the lottery in this case, knows that you are more likely to hit a number in that case than to not hit any numbers.  

No matter what kind of formula you try to come up with, it's still going to come down to payouts based on the percentages of times a player plays and hits numbers.

On Pick 6 games for example, on a $1 play (two lines of numbers), people hit 0, 1, or 2 numbers, of the 12 numbers played.  

Coin Toss,

Yes you are right, but the game I'm playing pays out a total of about $16,000 per day to losing games as opposed to the 6/10, 7/10/ and 8/10 winning games. only about 3 people win the 8/10 game every day and thats $300 each. But very difficult to hit 8 of 20 drawn numbers out of 80.

I was just noticing that the smartest way to play pick 10 is to try to lose because the odds are better...to pick 10 of 60 not drawn numbers seems like it would be easy no? well, it ain't! Easier than trying to win but I have been getting 9/10 losers and that is frustrating.

I feel like I'm trying too hard or something. If I just picked any old number for no reason whatever, the probability in this game is that it would not hit...but ...

Thank you for pointing this out, maybe it's my mindset that needs to be systematically overhauled and not the numbers. I've heard scared money can't win.

Pilot

NYC
                          United States
                          Member #43059
                          July 12, 2006
                          39 Posts
                          Posted: March 1, 2007, 11:02 am - IP Logged

thanks Todd, I just think that's where the money's at in this game. check out the payouts on the NY lotto website.

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23262 Posts
                            Posted: March 1, 2007, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

thanks Todd, I just think that's where the money's at in this game. check out the payouts on the NY lotto website.

Different strokes for different folks.

I have never heard of a lotto player making any sizeable profit off of prizes less than $10, because over time it always costs more than what you win.  That's simple odds and mathematics.

If you could consistently make a profit at a lower-tier prize level, which would mean that you can pick winning numbers consistently, then why wouldn't you turn your attention to the jackpot prize?

NYC
                              United States
                              Member #43059
                              July 12, 2006
                              39 Posts
                              Posted: March 1, 2007, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Different strokes for different folks.

I have never heard of a lotto player making any sizeable profit off of prizes less than $10, because over time it always costs more than what you win.  That's simple odds and mathematics.

If you could consistently make a profit at a lower-tier prize level, which would mean that you can pick winning numbers consistently, then why wouldn't you turn your attention to the jackpot prize?

Because the odds are better !

They pick 20 numbers out of 80 and I have to get at least 6 of them to win $10. Woop-te-do. It is much more difficult to pick 10 of 20 out of a possible 80 than 10 of 60 numbers that WON"T hit, see what I mean?

I have been tying to win for a year and I found that I am much better at picking losing numbers. If they offer a prize for losing numbers, why not take advantage of it? as for turning a profit-if I can triple my bet consistently that would be fine, that would be great, it would sure beat losing trying to win. I want to win trying to lose.

I may have found a formula...I'm still testing it...it's kind of hairbrained, but I want to backtest a few more drawings before I lay it out there.

The way I figure is this: let's say I bet $100 on 10 numbers and none of them hit...I'd win $300. You can bet the same lousy 10 numbers as many times as you want. If I felt particularly confident in a set of numbers, I could bet $500 on them and walk away with 2 G's. Or not...you see that's why I'm looking for a method. If one lousy number hits I would be screwed.

Pilot