Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 1:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why can teenagers play the lotto?

Topic closed. 55 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: March 3, 2007, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

First of all, thanks emilyg for that insightful and intelligent response to the poster who made the disrespectul comment about a 70 or an 80 year old senior. 

Secondly,  The poster should have validated his or her reasoning: why do you think a 70 or an 80 year old should not win.

Thirdly, although I am not 70 or 80 -- and still relatively young -- I take offense when senior citizens are disrespected in any way. I was taught to respect my elders because:

1.  They are older and have experienced life's complexing challenges by living long enough to share those experiences with others. On the other hand, I have learned to avoid many of life's hard obstacle courses by listening to and following their advice!

2.  They generally have more wisdom because they are more 'seasoned.'

3.  They have worked longer and perhaps harder than the younger generation (again, there are some exceptions).

4.  They are entitled to rest a little: sit back and enjoy the fruits of their labors.  Younger people (unless they are disabled) have the strength, they should have the motivation to work harder and succeed, and they usually have many productive years to accumulate earnings, providing they don't pass away at a younger age.

Finally, I am more thrilled when a senior wins, but at the same time, I am even happier when a younger person wins, too. So, writer, you are entitled to your opinion. However, please think before you speak and think before you write!

Bravo! I couldn't have said it any better.

I think one of the reasons why the elderly win more often is because the last thing on most teenagers' minds is to go out and spend their measley payday check on lottery tickets. They're more interested in buying the latest clothing line, buying extras for their cars,(mostly guys), to impress their girlfriends...etc...

Most of the teenagers I have spoken with don't have a clue to how the lottery even works.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

God Bless your son, bubber58.   

Just a note here...if everyone goes back and reads why Pumpi started this thread, it is because he is asking why young teens (not 18, because they can buy lottery tickets) can't play.  As DoubleDown pointed out, there was a typo in the subject line and the topic is supposed to read "Why can't teenagers play the lotto?" 

Dphillips - my feelings exactly. 

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2007, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

four4me, i apologize about what i say, about me been from a planet more advanced than your planet earth..I should be grateful that you answer my post/question...And i will like to thank everyone for answering the post/question...In an advanced society, people don't think they are better or more advanced than others, they accept that each individual is precious to God...In an advanced civilization/culture/planet people would not be greedy or selfish either...

pumpi

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2007, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

four4me, i apologize about what i say, about me been from a planet more advanced than your planet earth..I should be grateful that you answer my post/question...And i will like to thank everyone for answering the post/question...In an advanced society, people don't think they are better or more advanced than others, they accept that each individual is precious to God...In an advanced civilization/culture/planet people would not be greedy or selfish either...

pumpi

I'm not about to get into a religious discussion, but I can tell you I realized long ago people are different, totally different, and people don't change, as much as you like to think (and they like to think) they can or do.

That said, you accept people for what they are, and you deal with them in however manner you like, but you cannot even think about trying to change them, that won't be good for either side.  I speak of people 18 and older. 

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
          Lotto City, Michigan
          United States
          Member #36256
          March 30, 2006
          1472 Posts
          Posted: March 3, 2007, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

So what's a good number? Big Smile

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2007, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

pumpi

Pumpi, you always sound so sincere.  So, if someone picks on you (and I probably am guilty of this too) I think you have a right to vent once in a while!  I do agree with you about the advancement of civilization.  There was a movie made in 1951 named The Day The Earth Stood Still.  It was always one of my favorite Science Fiction movies.  The message brought by Klaatu was that people on Earth are disrupting the entire universe and its peace, and that people living on other galaxies had voted to destroy our planet. He came down from his planet to warn us that if we continue to be violent, Earth will be destroyed in a matter of seconds.  "This Earth of yours will be reduced to a burned-out cinder."  (if I recall the line correctly.) 

So you're not too far off.  

United States
              Member #10720
              January 23, 2005
              933 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2007, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Jack Whittaker's granddaughter, a teenager, died of a drug overdose, which was enabled because she had access to more money than she knew what to do with and was influenced by her so-called "friends" to be involved in that activity and were attracted to her by her money. It's not so much that they would spend their lunch money on the Pickit but that they are not wise enough at their age to know how to safely manage their WINNINGS.

There is no law that a teenager cannot tell their Parents what numbers they should play.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10392 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2007, 5:46 pm - IP Logged

Gort! Klaatu Barada Nikto!

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Gort appeared in the 1951 Science Fiction epic, "The Day the Earth Stood Still".  Gort appeared in the 1951 Science Fiction epic, "The Day the Earth Stood Still".  This was the first big science fiction movie of its kind

Gort appeared in the 1951 Science Fiction epic, "The Day the Earth Stood Still". 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2007, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

Gort! Klaatu Barada Nikto!

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Gort appeared in the 1951 Science Fiction epic, "The Day the Earth Stood Still".  Gort appeared in the 1951 Science Fiction epic, "The Day the Earth Stood Still".  This was the first big science fiction movie of its kind

Gort appeared in the 1951 Science Fiction epic, "The Day the Earth Stood Still". 

Smile

That was a classic.

Only in America can a person start out with a question of why can teenagers play the lottery, and end up with " Gort Klaatu Barada Nikto".

No wonder the alien had enough of this already....LOL

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10392 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2007, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

According to the rules of the Interplanetary Space Federation, whenever someone posts "the Day the Earth Stood Still" and doesn't mention Gort, someone else has to!

Klaatu Barada Nikto 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2007, 6:11 pm - IP Logged

There was a movie- and I can't think of the name. It was a similar setting, but this person with power abused his gift instead of helping humanity. But the ending was just as good, because it reminded me of a twilight zone episode.

Basically, the movie started out with a guy who had enormous powers. He eventually scaled up his use of the power. He then got so sick of the problems in the world that he decided it was time to change things. Especially war.

He demanded that all the leaders around the world appear where he was, in a huge arena of sorts. Suddenly, every leader of every nation materialized in front of him. Everyone was aghast.

As time went on with his preaching of how everyone must change or else, he became delusional during the heated moment and decided to threaten the world that he would stop the rotation of the earth if the planet didn't comply. Sure enough...he commenced to order the planet to stop rotating, and everyone in the arena, including the guy with the power went flying in the same direction of everyone else, because of the sudden stop. ( remember, we're rotating at the speed of a thousand miles per hour).

Finally, the scene goes to two aliens who undo what he did. They remark about the bad choice this human made, and basically made the point that too much power in the wrong hands....blah....blah...blah...

Great movie!!!

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2007, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2007, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2007, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: March 6, 2007, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

Did i mention that my dream is to "Change the world", make it better...

"Laura Simpson from Great Lakes, Illinois deserves to be rich...."        "She is so rare..."