Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Am I the only one that feels entitled to a jackpot?

Topic closed. 61 replies. Last post 10 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10345 Posts
Posted: March 8, 2007, 12:42 am - IP Logged

Remember the scene in Bruce Almighty when he answered everyone's prayers and they all won the lottery?  The next morning the guy in the street yelled out, "The lottery is bad man. I won $17!"

(He had hit all six numbers) 

Green laugh

As far as being "entitled" to a jackpot, that's kind of strange wording. Either we all are or nobody is.  

The only real "entitlement" I could see is someone who doesn't even spring for a buck to play a ticket thinking they should hit.  Everybody here has proably gotten "the speech" from someone about why they don't play, because of "the chances". When they say that I always tell them the chances are really better for someone who actually has bought a ticket than someone who hasn't.

Gambling, especially the lottery, is the working slob's only real hope of ever making a major score, and that's the big attraction, but I don't see any entitlement in that.  

No discussion of gambling in any form is ever complete without mentioning "the luck factor", and in lotto, the luck factor is everything.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: March 8, 2007, 1:35 am - IP Logged

There are thousands of people that 'deserve' it, but since thousands of people cannot win it, how can any one of them say they deserve it ?

There are just waay too many different scenarios that define the word 'deserve', of course the folks - thousands of them - that have been injured in any of our wars deserve better, so do policemen and firemen hurt in the line of duty, so do the elderly that have been defrauded of their retirements, so do the Enron workers that lost ALL of their retirement pensions AND their jobs, and so do those that lost everything in Katrina, my friend just lost the second of his two kids to CF today (both gone now), he deserves better; everyone has a story.

Heck, then I feel I deserve it because I come oh-so-close almost every drawing, but I have a nice house and I'm not starving, so how can I say I deserve it ?   If I lost my house, lost my wife, and I lived on the streets, would I then be eligible to deserve it ?  Nope. 

'Deserve' is a bad word the way it is defined here, in this context. 

PS - CoinToss - you hammered it out of the park. 

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
      San Jose, California
      United States
      Member #42003
      June 26, 2006
      206 Posts
      Posted: March 8, 2007, 2:52 am - IP Logged

I feel the same way as Megawinner.

Today, when I heard the news that there were two winners in the East, I'd loosen the energy to work. I would like to call it, "Jackpot Syndrom." 

I felt very odds this morning. And, I just kept wonder why I did not win. I had follow this jackpot from $60 Mil to now. Then, suddenly the race stopped, but still were I on track and passed by the jackpot.

Oh My God, "You have forsaken me!" on this jackpot. Please remeber my name on the next one.

Bunker Hill, West Virginia
        United States
        Member #50507
        March 7, 2007
        3 Posts
        Posted: March 8, 2007, 5:59 am - IP Logged

I mean, not in an arrogant or smug way but deep down inside, I feel like I deserve a multi-million dollar jackpot and actually feel like I have a shot at winning one and its just a matter of time until I win; sooner than later.

What about you all?  Do you all feel the same as I do?

I know exactly what you mean. It is not a matter of if you deserve it or not. We are all entitled to it. Keep up that attitude and you will win. I'm going to. It's not if I win, but, WHEN I win. Whenever the Lord is ready for me to have it. We all have to learn something out of this first. What have you learned?

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
          Member #47420
          November 4, 2006
          3930 Posts
          Posted: March 8, 2007, 7:10 am - IP Logged

MegaWinner....No one is trying to insult you..Just having some fun...Good luck..

Lotterologist's avatar - lightbulb
            Lotto City, Michigan
            United States
            Member #36256
            March 30, 2006
            1472 Posts
            Posted: March 8, 2007, 9:46 am - IP Logged

Forget it.  I think you guys are taking it the wrong way.

In otherwords, you meant you're thinking positive?

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #50273
              March 3, 2007
              348 Posts
              Posted: March 8, 2007, 9:59 am - IP Logged

In otherwords, you meant you're thinking positive?

Pretty much.  I explained it in later replies but I don't think they read them before making their replies.  I never meant it in a, "ha ha its mine!  Not yours!  I deserve it cause i'm selfish, arrogant, smug, greedy, and i'm owed it" type of way.

I meant it simply as a lighthearted, good-mannered pick me to keep on trying till I hit the jackpot.  But I digress.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1953 Posts
                Posted: March 8, 2007, 10:54 am - IP Logged

Well, no really is "entitled" to a jackpot. It's a game in which numbers are chosen at random. If you win you win, and if you don't you don't. Still, I would much rather prefer that the win come from using one of my systems as opposed to a quick pick. I think if you feel you are entitled to a jackpot, then you really shouldn't be playing the game at all. If one of your family members wins the lottery, are you going to sue them because you feel you are "entitled" to a piece of it? I sure hope not.

Gonna win.Big Smile

SirMetro's avatar - center
                  East of Atlanta
                  United States
                  Member #6191
                  August 11, 2004
                  1389 Posts
                  Posted: March 8, 2007, 11:12 am - IP Logged

A) Entitled is, at least in my mind, a very powerful word. When used in combination with "deserve", you will catch a lot of grief as you have quickly observed.

B) We (myself especially included) can occasionally be a rough crowd as you have no doubted found out for yourself.

C) Your realitively new, so as far as some of us are concerned the only thing you are "entitled" to and "deserve" to get is grief. Anything else should be considered a random act of kindness (and we try not to give too much of that around here).

D) Hell no your not "entitled" to win nor do you "deserve" to win. But I will take a moment to thank you for your financial contribution to the pot value when who ever it is in control realizes that I (not you) am the one who deserves to be entitled to win the next super jackpot.

All of the preceding comments are personal comments as presented by Me and in no way, shape, form or fashion is endorsed, approved or even remotely related to LotteryPost, it's Management and/or it's Members. And remember, opinions are like noses, we all have one and most of them smell.

Sir Metro

May you all one day experience the horrible grief of managing a huge sum of money.

Greenwich, CT
                    United States
                    Member #4793
                    May 24, 2004
                    1822 Posts
                    Posted: March 8, 2007, 11:21 am - IP Logged

As has been said, entitled is a strong word.  Sometimes I feel like I "should" win because of the amount of work I put into choosing my own numbers, but that's much different.

The huge lotteries are set up to make money.  People "deserve" respect and kindness.  No one ever "deserves" to win a jackpot.

Welcome to LP, by the way! 

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #50273
                      March 3, 2007
                      348 Posts
                      Posted: March 8, 2007, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Please go back and read my other replies if you haven't already.  You guys TOOK THIS THE WRONG WAY.

SirMetro's avatar - center
                        East of Atlanta
                        United States
                        Member #6191
                        August 11, 2004
                        1389 Posts
                        Posted: March 8, 2007, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Please go back and read my other replies if you haven't already.  You guys TOOK THIS THE WRONG WAY.

We know, but it's more fun to keep poking you about it.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: March 8, 2007, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

We know, but it's more fun to keep poking you about it.

Somewhat.

I feel I am 'due', but so do a few million other people, I'm no different.

But I'm not entitled.

Boxing

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10345 Posts
                            Posted: March 8, 2007, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

There are thousands of people that 'deserve' it, but since thousands of people cannot win it, how can any one of them say they deserve it ?

There are just waay too many different scenarios that define the word 'deserve', of course the folks - thousands of them - that have been injured in any of our wars deserve better, so do policemen and firemen hurt in the line of duty, so do the elderly that have been defrauded of their retirements, so do the Enron workers that lost ALL of their retirement pensions AND their jobs, and so do those that lost everything in Katrina, my friend just lost the second of his two kids to CF today (both gone now), he deserves better; everyone has a story.

Heck, then I feel I deserve it because I come oh-so-close almost every drawing, but I have a nice house and I'm not starving, so how can I say I deserve it ?   If I lost my house, lost my wife, and I lived on the streets, would I then be eligible to deserve it ?  Nope. 

'Deserve' is a bad word the way it is defined here, in this context. 

PS - CoinToss - you hammered it out of the park. 

Thanks for the kind comment, Guesser- you hit a dinger too, with this post!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: March 8, 2007, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

Rather than begin a new topic, I thought I would just continue here, since we are talking about the word "deserve" and what it means to deserve to win.  In the news today, the owner of the NJ store where one of the winning MM tickets was sold was quoted:

"I just hope it's a person that really deserves the money, someone that really needs it."

C'mon - who really needs to win $195 million?  I hear comments like this all the time. If someone is really poor and needy, $100,000 will make a big difference in his life.   I think I have a big heart and understand how nice it is to read that someone with 12 kids living in a 5th Wheel won a big jackpot.  However, anyone who purchases a lottery ticket deserves to win.  It's a game.