Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why the sudden concern with anonymity ?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 10 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: March 14, 2007, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Just wondering: it seems nearly every posting/forum now has people voicing concerns or wishes to remain anonymous.

Did something happen to a Jackpot winner ?

Are there reports of prior things happening ?

What has spooked 'everyone' ? 

It just seems odd to me we've had this 'anonymous' explosion over the last 3-4 weeks, where it was seldom discussed prior to that. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
    MD
    United States
    Member #1701
    June 18, 2003
    8364 Posts
    Posted: March 14, 2007, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Type Jack Whittaker in your search feature or on the net.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2007, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

With all due respect, some people thrive on the notion of what to do "IF" they win. Unfortunately "IF" is a big word. Not to discourage or be negative, but the odds are the reality.

"IF" A grasshopper had a machine gun, the birds wouldn't bother it....

"IF".....

Who knows...we might have a bunch of jackpot winners trying to find legal advice....LOL

You never know!

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #50273
        March 3, 2007
        348 Posts
        Posted: March 14, 2007, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

With all due respect, some people thrive on the notion of what to do "IF" they win. Unfortunately "IF" is a big word. Not to discourage or be negative, but the odds are the reality.

"IF" A grasshopper had a machine gun, the birds wouldn't bother it....

"IF".....

Who knows...we might have a bunch of jackpot winners trying to find legal advice....LOL

You never know!

I don't know about anyone else on this site but I can sure tell you one thing, I HOPE I win the Mega Millions and/or Powerball jackpot(s).  And even though I speak about anonymity the way I do, the fact remains that I wouldn't turn down a jackopt because I couldn't remain anonymous. 

I think we speak about it because this is a message board to discuss all things lottery related (of course without breaking any of Todd's rules).  I mean, just because we speak about it doesn't make us hell-bent, delusional, or out of touch with reality.  All it takes is a dollar and a dream; let me dream lol! 

Also, of course people are gonna dream about what they would do if they won a multi-million dollar jackpot, who doesn't?  I'm sure some will say they don't waste time dreaming about what they would do if they win the money for whatever reason but I won't lie, I know I think about it.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: March 14, 2007, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

Just wondering: it seems nearly every posting/forum now has people voicing concerns or wishes to remain anonymous.

It just seems odd to me we've had this 'anonymous' explosion over the last 3-4 weeks, where it was seldom discussed prior to that. 

Guesser, this has been an ongoing topic of discussion since I joined the board.  If you search you'll find threads going back several years about anonymity.  For example:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/76123/146392

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10354 Posts
            Posted: March 14, 2007, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

This went up after MegaWinner started the thread about his campaign to win and change the anonymous rules, but it might have something to do with your question:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/152791.htm 

Can't link right now...look in News, Photo 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Raven62's avatar - binary
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #17843
              June 28, 2005
              49813 Posts
              Posted: March 14, 2007, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Guesser, this has been an ongoing topic of discussion since I joined the board.  If you search you'll find threads going back several years about anonymity.  For example:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/76123/146392

Try this search:

http://www.lotterypost.com/search.asp?q=%22remaining+anonymous%22&t=all

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10354 Posts
                Posted: March 15, 2007, 12:21 am - IP Logged

I can't get the link to work. This is in News:

Lottery Post Exclusive
                by Todd Northrop

Maine's Morning Sentinel newspaper appears to have revealed a lottery winner's address and social security number in a published photo.

In a story that ran in the February 27 edition of the Sentinel, Newport resident Venison Turner Jr. was pictured together with his son, holding a copy of a winning ticket worth $300,000 and the paperwork filed with the Maine Lottery. The man's personal information is clearly visible.

In the Sunday, March 11 edition of the Sentinel, a letter from reader John Ferry was published, scolding the paper for missing the glaring mistake.

"What has he won? Because of the lack of editing he has won a lifetime of grief," Ferry wrote. "Within seconds of glancing at this picture, I noticed the form in the picture includes the man's name, address, telephone number, date of birth and even his Social Security number."

The whole story is in News, thread titled:

Newspaper photo reveals lottery winner's personal information

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: March 15, 2007, 9:01 am - IP Logged

I KNEW as soon as I saw the story about them printing the guy's info that THIS would be the topic most would refer to...  and I clearly agree that whoever made up the check with all the info should be fired, that won't solve the guy's possible grief.  That said, I don't see a problem with a guy holding up a fake check with his name and the dollar amount on it, I DO see a problem with anything else besides those two things  on it, that's a big-time screwup I am sure we all agree on - even me.

(My timing with creating this topic is absolutely incredible, isn't it ?) 

Yes, I can type in Jack Whittaker, but do you think life would have been any different for him had he remained anonymous ? I don't.

I also know this has been an ongoing topic for the last few years, but nowhere near to the extent it has in the last few weeks. 

I too initially thought about what I would do if I ever won a jackpot, but I'm also a very realistic person, I don't dream too much, that can lead to depression problems if you go too deep into it.  To be clear, I have ideas on what I would like to do, but I seldom think about them too much, what I would do is pretty set in stone.

California
                    United States
                    Member #46824
                    October 1, 2006
                    270 Posts
                    Posted: March 15, 2007, 11:17 am - IP Logged

I KNEW as soon as I saw the story about them printing the guy's info that THIS would be the topic most would refer to...  and I clearly agree that whoever made up the check with all the info should be fired, that won't solve the guy's possible grief.  That said, I don't see a problem with a guy holding up a fake check with his name and the dollar amount on it, I DO see a problem with anything else besides those two things  on it, that's a big-time screwup I am sure we all agree on - even me.

(My timing with creating this topic is absolutely incredible, isn't it ?) 

Yes, I can type in Jack Whittaker, but do you think life would have been any different for him had he remained anonymous ? I don't.

I also know this has been an ongoing topic for the last few years, but nowhere near to the extent it has in the last few weeks. 

I too initially thought about what I would do if I ever won a jackpot, but I'm also a very realistic person, I don't dream too much, that can lead to depression problems if you go too deep into it.  To be clear, I have ideas on what I would like to do, but I seldom think about them too much, what I would do is pretty set in stone.

Guesser...before you spout off that someone (presumably from the Maine Lottery) should be fired why don't you get all the facts!  There was no check with all of his information on it.  When a newspaper photographer visiting the winner's house asked for something to go in the picture the winner held up his ticket and the winning claim form with the information on it. In essance the winner voluntered this information.  BTW all of this information is in the News Story posted by Todd.

Now should the paper have been more judiscious and not printed the photo? YES!!!   Should the winner have been smart enough not to grab something with his personal information on it?  YES!!  I do like that the newspaper has offered to help the winner with moving beyond this situation.  However the most blame for this situation goes right  back to the winner himself.

Sunny California
                      United States
                      Member #40295
                      May 31, 2006
                      7712 Posts
                      Posted: March 15, 2007, 11:54 am - IP Logged

We should all be so lucky that we would have to face remaining "anonymous",haha! May that be your worst problem in life. Geese Louise. Let's win the dang thing first,huh?

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                        Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #46493
                        September 11, 2006
                        4173 Posts
                        Posted: March 15, 2007, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

We should all be so lucky that we would have to face remaining "anonymous",haha! May that be your worst problem in life. Geese Louise. Let's win the dang thing first,huh?

I'm with you LL!!  Some seem to focus more attention on what happens AFTER they win, not winning the jackpot itself.

Keep it simple 

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: March 15, 2007, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

Guesser...before you spout off that someone (presumably from the Maine Lottery) should be fired why don't you get all the facts!  There was no check with all of his information on it.  When a newspaper photographer visiting the winner's house asked for something to go in the picture the winner held up his ticket and the winning claim form with the information on it. In essance the winner voluntered this information.  BTW all of this information is in the News Story posted by Todd.

Now should the paper have been more judiscious and not printed the photo? YES!!!   Should the winner have been smart enough not to grab something with his personal information on it?  YES!!  I do like that the newspaper has offered to help the winner with moving beyond this situation.  However the most blame for this situation goes right  back to the winner himself.

So I'm to believe this guy that won made up the info himself and printed it up himself ?

OK.

Then nobody should be fired, I retract that.

Thank you for your continued support. 

Off to 'spout off' some more. 

Preppy's avatar - scene sunoverlake.jpg
                            Los Angeles County, CA
                            United States
                            Member #2161
                            August 24, 2003
                            30 Posts
                            Posted: March 31, 2007, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Wishing to remain anonymous has always been a popular topic and is the best self defense. If you don’t look out for yourself, no-one else will!

As soon as the media announces your name every charity, needy person, ex-lover, ex-spouse, long lost friend, stalker, or charlatan will send you a letter, try to contact you, or have his or her hand out. Angry, jealous, and unethical co-workers who prefer to sue rather than play in the office pool will crawl out from underneath the various rocks they were under.

The really smart crooks and thieves will try to claim they slipped and broke their hip in front of your house because of your negligence.  As a result, they are entitled to a percentage of your lottery wins for their pain and suffering.

Just read the articles about the Irish woman Dolores McNamara from Euro Millions, Jack Whittaker from Powerball, and the numerous office pool law suits.

Remaining anonymous stops all the non sense noted above dead in its tracks before it can even start!!!

amsoly41's avatar - ron paul_gold_standard.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #24912
                              October 29, 2005
                              94 Posts
                              Posted: March 31, 2007, 4:49 am - IP Logged

Wishing to remain anonymous has always been a popular topic and is the best self defense. If you don’t look out for yourself, no-one else will!

As soon as the media announces your name every charity, needy person, ex-lover, ex-spouse, long lost friend, stalker, or charlatan will send you a letter, try to contact you, or have his or her hand out. Angry, jealous, and unethical co-workers who prefer to sue rather than play in the office pool will crawl out from underneath the various rocks they were under.

The really smart crooks and thieves will try to claim they slipped and broke their hip in front of your house because of your negligence.  As a result, they are entitled to a percentage of your lottery wins for their pain and suffering.

Just read the articles about the Irish woman Dolores McNamara from Euro Millions, Jack Whittaker from Powerball, and the numerous office pool law suits.

Remaining anonymous stops all the non sense noted above dead in its tracks before it can even start!!!

I Agree!

Money can't buy you happiness... but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery Wink