Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 10 years ago by SirMetro.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

A LP Member disclosed that he/she won a big lottery prize?

Ignore them [ 1 ]  [1.52%]
Ask for a little financial help [ 1 ]  [1.52%]
Petition a donation to your charity [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Think they are arrogant for flaunting their win [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Think its cool an LP member won [ 45 ]  [68.18%]
Bug them for the method they used [ 7 ]  [10.61%]
Insult them if they disagree with your charity [ 1 ]  [1.52%]
Think they are idiots for telling on public forum [ 11 ]  [16.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 66 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
SirMetro's avatar - center
East of Atlanta
United States
Member #6191
August 11, 2004
1389 Posts
Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

All the prior posts seem to be asking one common question about what would you do if you won big on the Lottery. Instead, I dare to ask this, what you would think of a Lottery Post Member if that individual chose to share the knowledge that he/she was a big winner and how they opted to allocate the funds. Additionally, what if he/she also maintained a regular update as to how good or bad their investments performed?

Obviously, this is a hypothetical question. But before you rush into your answer, give it some real thought. Consider what folks have wrote about the “what if they won”. Would you consider it flaunting if a big winner announced it on LP and what all they plan to do with it? Or would you find it interesting how they chose to allocate the funds? Or is the real truth that, we do not really want to know because deep down, we want that person to be us. Not some stranger we don’t know. Come on folks, let’s hear what you really think out there.

Oh and on a final note, may each of us one day have the despairing task of managing a huge sum of money from a massive lottery win (or wealthy Uncle leaving a nice inheritance).

Sir Metro

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

Oh I would think it was super cool... SUPER.. I would be most happy for them.

It would be childish to feel otherwise..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
      Member #34266
      March 1, 2006
      188 Posts
      Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

LP has 51,888 members, and I know none.    I am familiar with about 15 handles I see on the blogs, so like and idiot, I'm going to say,  Hey, dudes I won the jackpot, and I'm having a party.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
        Member #50124
        February 26, 2007
        601 Posts
        Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

My question is, can a person stay anonymous on LP?  Or can they be tracked?  Can the forum owner track IP's?

If they can truly stay anonymous, I wouldn't think they were an idiot or flaunting it if they told.  I'd be a bit jealous, but also very happy for an LP member who won.  I'd probably want to beg for money, but I wouldn't.  I'd love to read their blog detailing  the trials and tribulations of being fabulously wealthy. 

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #50273
          March 3, 2007
          348 Posts
          Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Oh I would think it was super cool... SUPER.. I would be most happy for them.

It would be childish to feel otherwise..

Pretty much.  I wouldn't ask them for anything except if they did it with a system and would they like to share that system with the rest of us.  If they said no, that would be okay too.  I would LOVE to hear how they are doing and how they are spending/investing their money. 

I look at things like that as motivational tools.  When I meet super wealthy people I often ask (if I feel I can ask) them if they can give me one piece of advice to move towards success, what would they tell me.  I am ALWAYS amazed by what they say.

Thats my thing.  While I play the lottery, I have a lot of other things in the works to make money roll in another way. 

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

derek7's avatar - speedykat
            IL
            United States
            Member #34578
            March 4, 2006
            198 Posts
            Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

I woud reply: "Congratulations!"

I vote "cool". 

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: March 20, 2007, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

I think it would be cool if an LP member won. Of course, they're gonna get swamped with pms from people asking for money or for their system.LOL

Gonna win.Big Smile

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10345 Posts
                Posted: March 20, 2007, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

SirMetro

I know you just made those up randomly, but four of the eight options you posted are very good reasons why a jackpot winner here should stay aloof. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                  Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #48725
                  January 7, 2007
                  1953 Posts
                  Posted: March 20, 2007, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

SirMetro

I know you just made those up randomly, but four of the eight options you posted are very good reasons why a jackpot winner here should stay aloof. 

I'm contemplating whether or not I should post predictions for jackpot games as it will show that if I won the jackpot, which I think could happen very soon. Do you think I should avoid it? I think it could arouse a lot of attention if someone went to the "See yesterday's winners" page and saw a multi-million dollar winner.Yes Nod

Gonna win.Big Smile

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10345 Posts
                    Posted: March 20, 2007, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

Guru101

I don't think most of the people posting predictions play them. I used to, but not after seeing the volume of many of them. If you posted one (and actually played it) and hit just say it was just a prediction and you didn't play it, you'd probably be able to pull it off. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: March 21, 2007, 7:04 am - IP Logged

I would add an option for other.

First I want to see a scanned copy, and then I can make a choice from the above list.

California
                        United States
                        Member #46824
                        October 1, 2006
                        270 Posts
                        Posted: March 21, 2007, 10:30 am - IP Logged

My question is, can a person stay anonymous on LP?  Or can they be tracked?  Can the forum owner track IP's?

If they can truly stay anonymous, I wouldn't think they were an idiot or flaunting it if they told.  I'd be a bit jealous, but also very happy for an LP member who won.  I'd probably want to beg for money, but I wouldn't.  I'd love to read their blog detailing  the trials and tribulations of being fabulously wealthy. 

I guess this question goes out to Todd or anyone who has extensive web knowledge:  can a person's location be tracked down through Lottery Post?

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: March 21, 2007, 10:48 am - IP Logged

It's a safe assumption that anyone who has a website can track the IP of anyone who visits. Pages here used to specifically say "IP address logged." How useful that IP is varies.  Knowing the IP usually means you know the geographic area where that user connected to the internet, but knowing that somebody who says they won is posting from Cape May NJ wouldn't matter much if there's also a news article saying a winning lottery ticket was sold near Cape May.

Of course, if an ISP gets a subpoena  they can check to see which customer had that IP at a particular time. If you check your ISP's TOS they probably cover their policy for what to do if somebody subpoenas your records, and they'll probably offer you the chance to fight the subpoena. Anybody can try to subpoena that information, but if you didn't have a valid reason you might not like the possible consequences.

Coastal Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #2653
                            October 30, 2003
                            1866 Posts
                            Posted: March 21, 2007, 11:06 am - IP Logged

I Agree!, but I also voted that they would be stupid to do so....

California
                              United States
                              Member #46824
                              October 1, 2006
                              270 Posts
                              Posted: March 21, 2007, 11:11 am - IP Logged

It's a safe assumption that anyone who has a website can track the IP of anyone who visits. Pages here used to specifically say "IP address logged." How useful that IP is varies.  Knowing the IP usually means you know the geographic area where that user connected to the internet, but knowing that somebody who says they won is posting from Cape May NJ wouldn't matter much if there's also a news article saying a winning lottery ticket was sold near Cape May.

Of course, if an ISP gets a subpoena  they can check to see which customer had that IP at a particular time. If you check your ISP's TOS they probably cover their policy for what to do if somebody subpoenas your records, and they'll probably offer you the chance to fight the subpoena. Anybody can try to subpoena that information, but if you didn't have a valid reason you might not like the possible consequences.

KY Floyd...a few questions about your response: 

So does my ISP know my physical street address or do they know where they send the bill?  I would imagine in most cases these are one in the same.

Does the ISP have any responsibility, like a bank, not to devulge my information to anyone who asks?

In your comment about trying for a subpoena, the consequences you talk about for the person requesting  the subpoena, what do you mean?