Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 10 years ago by SirMetro.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

A LP Member disclosed that he/she won a big lottery prize?

Ignore them [ 1 ]  [1.52%]
Ask for a little financial help [ 1 ]  [1.52%]
Petition a donation to your charity [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Think they are arrogant for flaunting their win [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Think its cool an LP member won [ 45 ]  [68.18%]
Bug them for the method they used [ 7 ]  [10.61%]
Insult them if they disagree with your charity [ 1 ]  [1.52%]
Think they are idiots for telling on public forum [ 11 ]  [16.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 66 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
Member #50124
February 26, 2007
601 Posts
Posted: March 21, 2007, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

I had a feeling it would be pretty easy to track the person, cuz if any of you watch To Catch a Predator, they always seem to know exactly who the person is before the come to the house.  I think they've usually been IMing the guy for a few weeks before they invite him over.  So they have time to get info from the ISP.  So, is there any other way to get that info other than the law requiring the ISP to hand it over?

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Posted: March 21, 2007, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

How would your ISP connect to your computer if they don't know where it is?  If you still have dialup you could simply connect through a phone line that the phone company hasn't actually seen for years, but they still know where your end of it is. Even if your bill goes to  PO box they know where you live. Of course if you live in a boarding house, or you connect through a neighbor's unsecured wireless gateway you'll be harder to find. If you were going to send threatening emails to the president you could sit in a parking lot and connect through your local Panera's  (http://www.panerabread.com/cafes/find.php) and the secret service would have a very hard time finding you even though you would have had an IP address. There are other means of anonymous surfing, too, and that's why an IP address isn't always helpful.

I hate to give you bad news, but your bank is pretty free to hand over your financial information without your permission. In fact, they're required to file a report for cash transactions over $10,000. Of course they shouldn't give that information to just anyone. Your ISP's responsibilities will be spelled out in their TOS and privacy policy. Most have a generic policy that allows them to hand out the info as long as they believe they're acting responsibly, and they don't actually need a subpoena. If Todd called and claimed you were the source of a denial of service attack against lottery post they might  just give him your phone number, but  much more likely they'd conduct an investigation first. Of course in the real world what people do and what they're supposed to do don't always match. You can google "aol navy investigators" (without the quotes, of course) for a good example of how that works.

As far as possible consequences,  even pumpi could really sue somebody, and you don't need a really good reason. Just the filing fees will do the trick. Anyone can issue a subpoena. It's not a court order issued by a judge, and the vast majority are issued by lawyers.  Most subpoenas don't necessarily require you to do something. Think of them as a forceful request.  That's one of the reasons that many ISP's will give you notice and let you contest a subpoena before handing over your records. Of course it's unlikely that they'll spend their own money to fight a subpoena for your records.

The other reason that the ISP will probably give you notice is that they don't want to be liable in any ensuing lawsuit  (again, see the google search). Even though the ISP may not have any real requirement to protect your info, it may be reasonably considered private, so if somebody suboenas it just because they want to know where the poster who won the lottery lives it could be construed as an invasion of  privacy. The downside of winning the lottery is that you maybe seen as a good target for lawsuits. The upside is that you can use your deep pockets to defend against a lawsuit or to prosecute a lawsuit even if you aren't likely to see a big reward. Being sued for invasion of privacy could be moderately expensive even if you don't lose.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
      ORLANDO, FLORIDA
      United States
      Member #4924
      June 3, 2004
      5896 Posts
      Posted: March 21, 2007, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

Oh I would think it was super cool... SUPER.. I would be most happy for them.

It would be childish to feel otherwise..

I agree and I would not bug them about the system they used!!

stephi's avatar - winifrid
        rural lowcountry, south carolina
        United States
        Member #31677
        February 2, 2006
        196 Posts
        Posted: March 21, 2007, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

I would congratulate them and think it is super cool and very nice of them to let us LP members know.

SirMetro's avatar - center
          East of Atlanta
          United States
          Member #6191
          August 11, 2004
          1389 Posts
          Posted: March 21, 2007, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

My question is, can a person stay anonymous on LP?  Or can they be tracked?  Can the forum owner track IP's?

If they can truly stay anonymous, I wouldn't think they were an idiot or flaunting it if they told.  I'd be a bit jealous, but also very happy for an LP member who won.  I'd probably want to beg for money, but I wouldn't.  I'd love to read their blog detailing  the trials and tribulations of being fabulously wealthy. 

IP tracking is relatively easy. IP's are similiar to your home address. In the cyber/online world, it is the home address of your physical machine as assigned by the Internet Service Provider you are currently using. You may even want to read this artical at the FBI web site  http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel03/tscpr091603.htm and even do some additional research to see just how much information can be easily revealed by one's IP address.

BTW...IP address's can also be used to Block undesirable individuals from one's website and is used by many to keep spammers out of their system.

And yes, Todd can easily see everyone's IP address and in most cases, back track it to the originator with little effort.

California
            United States
            Member #46824
            October 1, 2006
            270 Posts
            Posted: March 21, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

IP tracking is relatively easy. IP's are similiar to your home address. In the cyber/online world, it is the home address of your physical machine as assigned by the Internet Service Provider you are currently using. You may even want to read this artical at the FBI web site  http://www.fbi.gov/pressrel/pressrel03/tscpr091603.htm and even do some additional research to see just how much information can be easily revealed by one's IP address.

BTW...IP address's can also be used to Block undesirable individuals from one's website and is used by many to keep spammers out of their system.

And yes, Todd can easily see everyone's IP address and in most cases, back track it to the originator with little effort.

Sir Metro...thanks for the info.  The question I have is how easy would it be for John Q. Public to get a home address from an IP address?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: March 21, 2007, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

Sir Metro...thanks for the info.  The question I have is how easy would it be for John Q. Public to get a home address from an IP address?

Your ISP isn't going to just give out your information to just anyone who has your IP address and calls in to get it, there are legal steps that must be taken in order to gather such information. Most of which is either for lawsuits or criminal investigations.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23262 Posts
                Posted: March 21, 2007, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Yes and no.  Every web site you visit records your IP address in its web logs, and Lottery Post is no different.  But No, I cannot get your home address from your IP address, and neither can any other web site.

However, if you were to do something illegal and the FBI asked me for your IP address, they could use that to work with your ISP to see exactly who was using that IP address at that moment in time, and then it could be traced by your ISP and the FBI to your house (or wherever you're logged in).

BTW, to the person who said that logging in at Panera Bread gives you anonymity, that's really a false sense of security.  If you log in from a public access connection, there are a number of other ways to figure out who you are, such as a security video tape, any logging that is done at the connection point, and other such things.

If they could catch the guy responsible for blowing up that Pan Am flight over Lockerbe, they can catch someone at Panera Bread.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: March 21, 2007, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Yes and no.  Every web site you visit records your IP address in its web logs, and Lottery Post is no different.  But No, I cannot get your home address from your IP address, and neither can any other web site.

However, if you were to do something illegal and the FBI asked me for your IP address, they could use that to work with your ISP to see exactly who was using that IP address at that moment in time, and then it could be traced by your ISP and the FBI to your house (or wherever you're logged in).

BTW, to the person who said that logging in at Panera Bread gives you anonymity, that's really a false sense of security.  If you log in from a public access connection, there are a number of other ways to figure out who you are, such as a security video tape, any logging that is done at the connection point, and other such things.

If they could catch the guy responsible for blowing up that Pan Am flight over Lockerbe, they can catch someone at Panera Bread.

Todd,

Your third party credit card service can give you forum member information? Also, panera requires e-mail address to get access rights on their APs, it is hard to hide behind a computer unless you are on 24. It is almost laughable the liberties they take with technology on 24, because they make appear so dynamic, but they will get you if they want you.  The feds can insert themselves in whatever layer they want.

I don't know if this is old hat but, the odds of a member hitting MMs all things equal: 1 in 3500,

PBall: 1 in 3000 roughly.  Moral of the story: For each additional 50000 members the odds halve for a

member of LP to hit!

LOL jarasan

US Flag

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                    Beautiful Florida
                    United States
                    Member #5709
                    July 18, 2004
                    20115 Posts
                    Posted: March 21, 2007, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

I think it would really be cool if an LP member won Mega/Powerball...

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23262 Posts
                      Posted: March 21, 2007, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

Todd,

Your third party credit card service can give you forum member information? Also, panera requires e-mail address to get access rights on their APs, it is hard to hide behind a computer unless you are on 24. It is almost laughable the liberties they take with technology on 24, because they make appear so dynamic, but they will get you if they want you.  The feds can insert themselves in whatever layer they want.

I don't know if this is old hat but, the odds of a member hitting MMs all things equal: 1 in 3500,

PBall: 1 in 3000 roughly.  Moral of the story: For each additional 50000 members the odds halve for a

member of LP to hit!

LOL jarasan

US Flag

RE: your credit card question - YES, whenever you pay for something online using a credit card, the merchant HAS to be able to track down the customer, because the merchant is held directly responsible for the charge.  That's why many people use PayPal when they want to limit the number of merchants with access to their address and credit card number.  This is all common sense, no?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                        Harbinger
                        D.C./MD.
                        United States
                        Member #44103
                        July 30, 2006
                        5583 Posts
                        Posted: March 21, 2007, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

RE: your credit card question - YES, whenever you pay for something online using a credit card, the merchant HAS to be able to track down the customer, because the merchant is held directly responsible for the charge.  That's why many people use PayPal when they want to limit the number of merchants with access to their address and credit card number.  This is all common sense, no?

Big YES on that common sense. 

jarasan

United States
                          Member #10720
                          January 23, 2005
                          933 Posts
                          Posted: March 21, 2007, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

I'd think it was cool and I would ask them NICELY if they would share their system, that way they could help a lot of people without giving away a dime. If I ever win that big I will be more than happy to give you all a seminar of how I picked the numbers AND a free copy of whatever program I used. If anyone asks me for financial help, just answer 1 question, where were YOU when I was POOR? I would think it very unusual if someone won big they'd not share their method at that point. Most do.

The reason I keep most of my methods private for now is because nj is pari-mutuel and if I gave everyone the Pick 3 and it came out the payout would be too small to be worth playing. Ditto with predicted numbers, if a lot of people predict certain numbers or kind of numbers if those come out the payout will be low.

With (how many? 25K? 50K?) members on here, many using intricate systems, it is only a matter of time that someone on here will win 7 or more figures. If you do that with picked numbers you have every right to brag about it.

SirMetro's avatar - center
                            East of Atlanta
                            United States
                            Member #6191
                            August 11, 2004
                            1389 Posts
                            Posted: March 22, 2007, 9:55 am - IP Logged

I think it would really be cool if an LP member won Mega/Powerball...

I think it would not only be really cool, but it would be incredibly awesome if that winner had also posted his/her selected numbers within one of Maddog10's Challenges.

United States
                              Member #50319
                              March 3, 2007
                              42 Posts
                              Posted: March 22, 2007, 10:10 am - IP Logged

If I won it, I would be posting from somewhere in the South Pacific using a satellite link. So they could track me but unless they were able to pinpoint the source of my satellite uplink, they would not be able to find me (not talking about the FBI, NSA, or CIA here, just a civilian).
                              First, I would think it was nice someone from the forum won, I would probably feel a little jealous, but that's the "inner child" having a fit.
                              Hopefully, I will be able to test out this topic in the first person fairly soon. Thumbs Up