Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 2:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What if?

Topic closed. 43 replies. Last post 10 years ago by SirMetro.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

A LP Member disclosed that he/she won a big lottery prize?

Ignore them [ 1 ]  [1.52%]
Ask for a little financial help [ 1 ]  [1.52%]
Petition a donation to your charity [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Think they are arrogant for flaunting their win [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Think its cool an LP member won [ 45 ]  [68.18%]
Bug them for the method they used [ 7 ]  [10.61%]
Insult them if they disagree with your charity [ 1 ]  [1.52%]
Think they are idiots for telling on public forum [ 11 ]  [16.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 66 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3474 Posts
Posted: March 22, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

If somebdy won and they thought it was because of the system they used, why would they tell anyone else how it worked? For starters, we've already seen that there's not much of a limit on how much  money people would like to win, so it's a reasonable bet that many people would keep it to themsleves until they had netted a couple of hundred milion. Beyond that, if you had the power to decide who wins the lottery, would you start by helping people from an internet forum to win, or would you find friends, relatives, or charities to help? Sorry to crush anybody's fantasies, but I've got a long list of people who would come first. Even if you chose to share it with  people on th einternet, it would be best to suggest combinations to play rather than reveal the system.

As far as the chances that somebody from here will win MM or PB, where do those numbers come from? It sounds like you're figuring that each of 50,000 people who have ever been a registered member would play $1 on a single game, but that's unrealistic. Most of those 50,000  probably shouldn't be comsidered mambers, and  not all of the current members will play each game for any given draw. The bigger question is how many tickets will be bought by members that do play.  If  2000 LP members buy an average of 5 tickets for each drawing of PB and  2000 LP members buy an average of 5 tickets for each drawing of MM that would be 2,080,000 tickets over the course of a year. Averaging the odds between MM and PB,  we could expect a member to win once every 77 years. I'll leave it to others to debate how many tickets are really bought by how many members.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
    Member #15309
    May 13, 2005
    307 Posts
    Posted: March 24, 2007, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

I have a nagging suspicion that the New Jersey couple that won the latest MM jackpot are LP members.

Sun Smiley             

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: March 24, 2007, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Far more than anyone here hitting via their system and then being worried about sharing the system, I think they'd just be far more concenred with complete strangers hitting them up for a million dollars, and believe me it would happen.

Even considering gift tax considerations it would happen, "You've got hundreds of millions now man, share the wealth, give me a million, and take care of the tax too, be a sport."

I say this would be more of a concern than sharing a system because there are people here, even with the Pick 3 and Pick 4 levels, that will read threads where other people have really put a lot of work into developing something, and try to teach others how to do it, only to see a post that says, "I'm in _ _ _ _ _ (state), what numbers should I play?"

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: March 24, 2007, 6:35 pm - IP Logged

Far more than anyone here hitting via their system and then being worried about sharing the system, I think they'd just be far more concenred with complete strangers hitting them up for a million dollars, and believe me it would happen.

Even considering gift tax considerations it would happen, "You've got hundreds of millions now man, share the wealth, give me a million, and take care of the tax too, be a sport."

I say this would be more of a concern than sharing a system because there are people here, even with the Pick 3 and Pick 4 levels, that will read threads where other people have really put a lot of work into developing something, and try to teach others how to do it, only to see a post that says, "I'm in _ _ _ _ _ (state), what numbers should I play?"

I agree.  I think people would ask for money. At first I said it would be cool, and I would be happy for the other member, but I don't think I'd want to announce it.  This is the reason:

For over a year I've been posting lots of personal opinions as justxploring.  Suddenly, justxploring becomes a real person.  Yes, I'm a woman in Florida, but that's really all you know about me. Then my photo is on the news and over 40,000 people I've never met say "I know that woman!  We're members of the same website."  I'm sure Todd would do his best to protect my anonymity, but I've written a few things I wouldn't want the general public to know about me in the real world, especially my family.  Anyone has access to this board and can read the posts.  For some reason the press finds lottery winners interesting subjects, so maybe a hungry reporter would go through my posts and decide to quote (or distort) a few lines, or perhaps a person who thinks he/she can make a few bucks writing a book about a lottery winner who posted on a lottery board will violate my privacy by writing "Nancy, who won $25 million in the Florida Lotto said that she would...blah, blah" 

Paranoid?  Probably.  But nothing is private on the internet.   

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1954 Posts
          Posted: March 24, 2007, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

Yep. Sad but true, if someone on here won a jackpot, there definitely would be people hitting that person up for money regardless of the fact they don't even know the person, which I think is pretty pathetic.

Gonna win.Big Smile

SirMetro's avatar - center
            East of Atlanta
            United States
            Member #6191
            August 11, 2004
            1389 Posts
            Posted: March 25, 2007, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

I agree.  I think people would ask for money. At first I said it would be cool, and I would be happy for the other member, but I don't think I'd want to announce it.  This is the reason:

For over a year I've been posting lots of personal opinions as justxploring.  Suddenly, justxploring becomes a real person.  Yes, I'm a woman in Florida, but that's really all you know about me. Then my photo is on the news and over 40,000 people I've never met say "I know that woman!  We're members of the same website."  I'm sure Todd would do his best to protect my anonymity, but I've written a few things I wouldn't want the general public to know about me in the real world, especially my family.  Anyone has access to this board and can read the posts.  For some reason the press finds lottery winners interesting subjects, so maybe a hungry reporter would go through my posts and decide to quote (or distort) a few lines, or perhaps a person who thinks he/she can make a few bucks writing a book about a lottery winner who posted on a lottery board will violate my privacy by writing "Nancy, who won $25 million in the Florida Lotto said that she would...blah, blah" 

Paranoid?  Probably.  But nothing is private on the internet.   

After giving it a little bit of thought, one could look up my SirMetro name and perhaps go back as far as 12 or so years with the various things I have posted online. But this is perhaps the only site I have ever posted my real name. And even someone cares enough to take the time to go back and hunt it down and then perform a search for me in the real world, I pretty much doubt they will find me. But some strange happening, the real me has managed to remain non-existent online. And I have been told once of an occasion where there was 7 different men in the same church at the same time with the same first name and last name as mine (they were also all first time attendee's with their spouse as well, that is how it was discovered as they introduced themselves), go figure. The last time I googled myself, the real me never seemed to show up. Now if I can just get the IRS to forget about me as well.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: March 25, 2007, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

"The last time I googled myself, the real me never seemed to show up. Now if I can just get the IRS to forget about me as well."  Sir Metro

Wish I could say that!  I might have to change my name!  Once I was asked by a reporter from a local newspaper what I thought about something and he took a photo.  The next day I saw it online.  I was misquoted and it was the worst picture of me I've ever seen. 

Entertaiment Capital
                United States
                Member #37800
                April 19, 2006
                302 Posts
                Posted: March 25, 2007, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

I have a feeling that I'm gonna win. I saw the numbers in my dream.

Honestly, I don't want to announce my winning on LP. I am thinking about somewhere whole lot worse. Where?

It's Something Awful. Yeah, I am a goon.

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: March 25, 2007, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

I have a feeling that I'm gonna win. I saw the numbers in my dream.

Honestly, I don't want to announce my winning on LP. I am thinking about somewhere whole lot worse. Where?

It's Something Awful. Yeah, I am a goon.

What do you mean you are a goon?

Are you a goony goo goo?

Entertaiment Capital
                    United States
                    Member #37800
                    April 19, 2006
                    302 Posts
                    Posted: March 26, 2007, 3:11 am - IP Logged

What do you mean you are a goon?

Are you a goony goo goo?

Members of Something Awful community are called goons. One of them wrote a book called My Tank Is Fight!, which is about obscure experimental weapons during the world war II.

concord NH
                      United States
                      Member #47249
                      October 27, 2006
                      22 Posts
                      Posted: March 26, 2007, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

the #1 reason i wouldn't come forward on here or any other forum is

A great hacker could become me and make promises to people in forums ect...And then file suits against you for not paying up...It could potentially be a big mess...I think if you hit big, you will have law suits to defend in the "real" world let alone the cyber world...I just wouldn't want to give anyone any more ammo..

Its also a reason that i would no longer use reg. mail....Anything that came to my mailbox would be throw away without looking at it...I would only read registed mail ect.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                        Member #4877
                        May 30, 2004
                        5124 Posts
                        Posted: March 26, 2007, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

the #1 reason i wouldn't come forward on here or any other forum is

A great hacker could become me and make promises to people in forums ect...And then file suits against you for not paying up...It could potentially be a big mess...I think if you hit big, you will have law suits to defend in the "real" world let alone the cyber world...I just wouldn't want to give anyone any more ammo..

Its also a reason that i would no longer use reg. mail....Anything that came to my mailbox would be throw away without looking at it...I would only read registed mail ect.

SPOON???????????????

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL@@@@@@@@@@@@@KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

GGGGGGGGGGGGGG?????????????????????????????????????????

to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaGREAT>>>>>

HACKER......???

of the LP>>>>>>4MM

??????????????

I am l22l@@IN44444444fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffssssssssssssob11111

on tttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiisssssss

cable222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTODD!!

VOTED>>>>>>>YES..................I will>>>>>>>>>>TELLLUHACKSSLurkingLurkingLurkingHit With Stick

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5124 Posts
                          Posted: March 26, 2007, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

SPOON???????????????

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL@@@@@@@@@@@@@KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

GGGGGGGGGGGGGG?????????????????????????????????????????

to beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaGREAT>>>>>

HACKER......???

of the LP>>>>>>4MM

??????????????

I am l22l@@IN44444444fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffssssssssssssob11111

on tttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiisssssss

cable222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTODD!!

VOTED>>>>>>>YES..................I will>>>>>>>>>>TELLLUHACKSSLurkingLurkingLurkingHit With Stick

Think its cool an LP member won

SirMetro's avatar - center
                            East of Atlanta
                            United States
                            Member #6191
                            August 11, 2004
                            1389 Posts
                            Posted: March 26, 2007, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Petition a donation to your charity

Think they are arrogant for flaunting their win

I am surprised that no one has selected either of these two options. I could easily see folks petition to have a donation made to their favorite charity. And I tend to think that some would consider a person arrogant for flaunting the fact that they won. In spite of how cool I think it is, I would also think that if I won and then maintained like a daily log reflecting how good (or bad) I did with my investments, after a while, there would be some that wouldn't hesistate to tell me where to step off too.

I think it is human nature to reach a point of no tolerance of listening (or reading) about how successful someone is. And I don't think it will be done from a point of being mean about it. I guess a comparison would be the analogy my wife uses. How many times can you listen to your kid repeat "Mommy" over and over and over just cause before you had enough and you want to holler back at the kid, but all the kid does is just grins at you. Then resumes again. We reach a tolerance point for, I think some would consider it "bragging".

I don't know...then again, perhaps it's just me. Guess I need to resume taking my happy pills again. Those little voices in my head are telling me I really need to clean my guns now. Have fun folks. Now...what did I do with the cotton balls I use to clean the gun barrels....hummm...