Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you go For Humans to draw the Balls?

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LckyLary.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you go For Humans to draw the balls?

Great Idea [ 11 ]  [33.33%]
Bad Idea [ 22 ]  [66.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 33 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5903 Posts
Posted: March 22, 2007, 11:13 am - IP Logged

Would you go ForHumans to draw the balls..just your average Joe off the street to reach in a grab the ball..no pre=testing or anything..what do you think..would that be a good idea or bad idea and why..please dont say for cheating..how can a stranger off the street whos only job is to reach in and grab one ball while the balls are moving around in mid-air is cheating..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #50273
    March 3, 2007
    348 Posts
    Posted: March 22, 2007, 11:17 am - IP Logged

Would you go ForHumans to draw the balls..just your average Joe off the street to reach in a grab the ball..no pre=testing or anything..what do you think..would that be a good idea or bad idea and why..please dont say for cheating..how can a stranger off the street whos only job is to reach in and grab one ball while the balls are moving around in mid-air is cheating..

Absolutely NOT.  WAAAAAAYYYYYYY to much room for error and "what ifs."  Like, what if the person ran off with the ball?  What if the person grabbed more than one ball?  What if the person crushes the ball?  What if the person MARKS THE OTHER BALLS?

I'll pass on this one.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

mississippi
      United States
      Member #34478
      March 3, 2006
      5903 Posts
      Posted: March 22, 2007, 11:23 am - IP Logged

ran off with the balls..LOL..never thought of that one..I guess there are some stupid ass idiots out there that would Probably Try that..lol..

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

SirMetro's avatar - center
        East of Atlanta
        United States
        Member #6191
        August 11, 2004
        1389 Posts
        Posted: March 22, 2007, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

I think people in general are fallible. On average, most people are honest. History clearly points to multiple occasions of how easily it is for someone in power to manipulate things to make it more favorable for themselves. At least the current ball draw method keeps the draw clean and simple.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49613 Posts
          Posted: March 22, 2007, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Great Idea! I was thinking along these lines myself recently.

I was watching NJs Green Ball Double Draw recently, and it became fairly obvious that when it came time to do the Green Ball Double Draw Drawing that the Drawing Moderator was watching the Balls whirling within the Chamber. It appeared that they waited for the Ball (6 white, 1 green) to be Drawn that night to be the closest to the Draw Chute before opening the door that allows the ball to rise to the top of the chute.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: March 22, 2007, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

I think it's a wonderful idea.  I also think lotteries should discontinue the pre-tests.  As long as the balls are carefully weighed & measured before each drawing, then there is no reason for them.

Sure, some idiot could run away with a ball.  However, I've always wanted the Florida Lottery to choose students to draw the balls, since they claim the money goes to education.  They no longer have live drawings on television here.  (Someone please correct me if I am wrong.)  However, people love watching kids, so they could have a spelling bee and 6 winners from around the state would win the opportunity to be on television and draw a ball. 

That said, I wonder what would happen if the child's uncle won $50 million?  I guess if they used "regular" people, they'd have to make sure there was no conflict, or the possibility of one. I'm pretty sure none of the people involved with the lottery or their families can play. 

Thoth's avatar - binary
              Findlay, Ohio
              United States
              Member #4855
              May 28, 2004
              400 Posts
              Posted: March 22, 2007, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely NOT.  WAAAAAAYYYYYYY to much room for error and "what ifs."  Like, what if the person ran off with the ball?  What if the person grabbed more than one ball?  What if the person crushes the ball?  What if the person MARKS THE OTHER BALLS?

I'll pass on this one.

LOL what if the person grabs his own.  HAHA aint nobody winning with that!

~Probability=Odds in Motion~

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                Tx
                United States
                Member #4570
                May 4, 2004
                5180 Posts
                Posted: March 22, 2007, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

The draw method used is OK, , but perhaps not the pre-draws, but more important  the lotteries should not hold their own drawings, all the state on the USA should be hold by one central "Non Interested Party" maybe even a non-profit organization, people with no government connections of any kind, without any kind of connections to anybody, period, the general public and the media should alway be present before during and after the draws.

The draws, including the predraws, should be live on TV as they are being held or done.

Anybody at any time should be able to walk in there and take a look, of course, if too many people want to, then some restrictions should apply.

Would you let your opponent pick the winning numbers?

The lotteries are anything, but neutral and uninterested, they are your opponents, the less money that you win, the more money that they rake in.

Lotteries always complaining  that they are not making enough BILLIONS and they always want more and yet more, they are insatiable, they can never have enough.

Perhaps you think that they are your friends and there to make you rich and quick.

Lotteries are there to take your money and keep it, the house always wins (One way or another, whatever it takes)

You want to keep your money? Then don't play! It is the only sure way, otherwise, Donate, Donate and Donate again.

I go by this: "If you can't win a game (For whatever the reason) then don't play it" .

One should have anough reason to believe that a game is honest and that it can really be won (Fair Game), that a long term profit can really be made by a smart player, if not (Of course) by the average person (As the money (Your profit and the lotteries') has to come from somewhere).

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

mississippi
                  United States
                  Member #34478
                  March 3, 2006
                  5903 Posts
                  Posted: March 22, 2007, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Well..I would really belooking to kill the pre-test..that is whats messing up everything..IF..and I am only saying IF..they pretest the big games also and my numbers came out during a pretest I have been playing for years..I WOULD BE PISSED..TO THE POINT I would want to cause some furniture to be moving around..lol..the odds are to the point now that the public needs a damn break..and those pre-test draws are messing up all of the natural forming sequences..and I believe they know it..because you can bet your ass onething right now..IF YOUR BIG GAME NUMBERS came out on a pre-test draw..YOU BETTER FIND YOU SOME NEW NUMBERS..

konane's avatar - wallace
                    Atlanta, GA
                    United States
                    Member #1265
                    March 13, 2003
                    3333 Posts
                    Posted: March 22, 2007, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely not.  Lotteries go to great lengths to assure all balls weigh in at certain weight tolerances, dimensions, etc., handled by lottery officials performing drawings with gloves, plus other security precautions.  A "Joe off the street" could dent or damage balls they touch thereby totally undoing all precautions lotteries rigorously undertake to make sure all drawings are random.

Pre and post testing is done as an additional assurance that no one has tampered with ballsets inserting/exchanging one or more outside allowed tolerances to achieve their intended results.

Wish all lotteries would post pre and post test info on their websites, or at least have it in current pdf format.

Good luck to everyone!

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                      Member #14
                      November 9, 2001
                      31334 Posts
                      Posted: March 22, 2007, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

Absolutely not.  Lotteries go to great lengths to assure all balls weigh in at certain weight tolerances, dimensions, etc., handled by lottery officials performing drawings with gloves, plus other security precautions.  A "Joe off the street" could dent or damage balls they touch thereby totally undoing all precautions lotteries rigorously undertake to make sure all drawings are random.

Pre and post testing is done as an additional assurance that no one has tampered with ballsets inserting/exchanging one or more outside allowed tolerances to achieve their intended results.

Wish all lotteries would post pre and post test info on their websites, or at least have it in current pdf format.

I Agree!

love to nibble those micey feet.

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: March 22, 2007, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

I am glad they don't publish the pre-test picks on the FL web site.  If they do, I am begging everyone NOT to send me the link. LOL  Konane, you must be a little more emotionally stable than I.  LOL 

I once saw on the TX site the 5 pre-test combinations picked.  I thought "the last thing in the world I'd want to see are the numbers I've played for years and years!" 

This is an interesting subject for me.  We had this discussion about a year ago about whether or not it has an effect on the "randomness" of the draws.  Some members said it doesn't matter.  I think I'll search the archives for that thread.

Edit:  Maybe someone else will have better luck.  I can only one from June 2006 with one page about TX and FL pre-tests.  Personally, I don't approve of them, no matter how many people say they are for our own protection to keep the games fair & square.

So, does this mean the Raffle game (that had to be computerized, right?) had "pre-tests" to make sure one particular store or town didn't get the lion's share of the pot?  How much control does the lottery have on who wins and who doesn't? They know where the winning scratch tickets are sent.  How random really is it? 

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: March 22, 2007, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

"Pre and post testing is done as an additional assurance that no one has tampered with ballsets inserting/exchanging one or more outside allowed tolerances to achieve their intended results."

Konane, I had actually completed my post before I saw yours and Emily's comments.  I then edited mine to add that remark about you being saner (or maybe it's me being more neurotic! lol)   But I really agree that, on the one hand, pre-tests provide much needed security.  On the other, I don't like them, because I think taking careful measures to weigh and measure the balls before each drawing would eliminate any tampering. 

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3471 Posts
                            Posted: March 22, 2007, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

Congratulations. You've posted an excellent argument in favor of eliminating humans from the process as much as possible.

mississippi
                              United States
                              Member #34478
                              March 3, 2006
                              5903 Posts
                              Posted: March 22, 2007, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

yeah..if they gave you the pre-test that would cool..then you could see if the numbers you have chosen to play for the future has/has not came out yet...with some of those big games having millions and millions of combinations..YEAH I WANT THOSE PRE-TEST numbers..I would think that would have to be considered public information and allowable to the public..seems like it anyway..or another way to look at it..you know you always here.."You ahve to wait til its your turn to win"..or some prfound statement like that..lol..well what if it was your turn to win and your numbers were in the pre-test..that set of numbers may not come back out again for 10,000 years..10,00 years is not that far off considering you may never see all of the pic 4 combinations in your lifetime..and that is only 10,000 combinations..