Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 7:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Quik Pic observations from a new LP member...

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Guru101.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3501 Posts
Posted: March 24, 2007, 2:31 am - IP Logged

I know previous plays affect the next plays because that's how RNGs work. My arguement though is that is has neither a positive nor negative affect on those plays because, again, the luck is in the draw. That truck driver won because he was lucky. Nothing more, nothing less. The game sold millions and millions of tickets for that drawing, and someone was most likely to win. It just so happened to be the truck driver's numbers that came up.

How the RNG gets the seed may be neutral, but if it does come from the time of day, previously played numbers or similar things then that *is* how the winning combination popped out when the Ed Nabors bought the ticket.  If the guy in front of him had bought one more ticket or played different numbers, or if the clerk had punched the button just a second later, the ticket would have had different numbers. Yes, it's a matter of luck that everything aligned in such a way that his ticket got the right numbers, but how the RNG works is why that luck favored him instead of somebody else, or nobody.

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3501 Posts
    Posted: March 24, 2007, 2:41 am - IP Logged

Each State has its own RNG: I guess that might explain why some States seem to have more Winners than others.

The possibility that a state's RNG might duplicate combinations could explain multiple winners of a particular drawing both (or all) being in that state. MM doesn't make the info readily available, but  for PB none of the 7 multiple winners since 1/1/2004 have been in the same state.

The only two ways a state's RNG could explain a state having more winners than other states are the RNG spitting out more numbers for more tickets  or if the RNG somehow knew what the winning combination would be and then generated that combination instead of random numbers.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10392 Posts
      Posted: March 24, 2007, 9:47 am - IP Logged

KY Floyd

The 12-15 hits a year figure came off of one of the jackpot game websites, I think it was the Powerball site.

I don't really have a problem with probabilities, it just gets to me when anyone thinks that probabilities not only tell us what should happen but when it will happen. 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1958 Posts
        Posted: March 24, 2007, 4:36 pm - IP Logged

How the RNG gets the seed may be neutral, but if it does come from the time of day, previously played numbers or similar things then that *is* how the winning combination popped out when the Ed Nabors bought the ticket.  If the guy in front of him had bought one more ticket or played different numbers, or if the clerk had punched the button just a second later, the ticket would have had different numbers. Yes, it's a matter of luck that everything aligned in such a way that his ticket got the right numbers, but how the RNG works is why that luck favored him instead of somebody else, or nobody.

There is no favoring. For this drawing, there were more plays that covered a lot more of all the possible combinations. If the drawing of the balls was started a split second later, he might not have won anything at all and someone else might have won or it would have rolled. The lottery machine didn't decide to make him the winner. He won because his numbers came up out of all the millions and millions of people who played and got lucky. That's all. What if he decided to go over to the next aisle to buy an extra item? He wouldn't have won. There is no divine intuition involved with the lottery.

Gonna win.Big Smile