Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 11:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

are you happy with YOUR state lottery?

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 10 years ago by JimmySand9.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

yes [ 19 ]  [48.72%]
no [ 20 ]  [51.28%]
Total Valid Votes [ 39 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23352 Posts
Posted: March 26, 2007, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

I voted "Yes" because I'm mostly happy with NJ.  The main thing I DON'T like is the pari-mutuel payouts on Pick 3 and Pick 4.  They usually lower than other states.

I LIKE the NJ Lottery because on the whole they don't screw around with a bunch of dopey and gimicky games and names.

They've had their share of clunkers, like Lotzee (now defunct), Cyber Slingo, and a few scratch games that you have to spend 20 minutes to figure out if it's a winner.  But the main games -- Pick 6, Cash 5, Pick 4, and Pick 3 -- are all solid, traditional games.  Just the way they should be.

Other good things about the NJ Lottery:

• NJ also has REAL drawings, not computerized phoney drawings.
  • They have midday games.
  • The draw times are perfect -- 1:00 for midday, 8:00 for evening.
  • Drawings are televised all over the state on NJN  (New Jersey Network).
  • No state tax on lottery prizes!
  • They answer the phone when you call.
  • Their Web site, although it has a clunky front page and it is a little too hard to find some pages, has all the info you're looking for, including downloadable draw history all the way back to the first draw in the 1970s. 

Bravo New Jersey!  We may have the worst Governor and most crooked politicians in the country, but we have a great lottery!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
    Gurnee, Illinois
    United States
    Member #49731
    February 12, 2007
    919 Posts
    Posted: March 26, 2007, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

I voted "Yes" because I'm mostly happy with NJ.  The main thing I DON'T like is the pari-mutuel payouts on Pick 3 and Pick 4.  They usually lower than other states.

I LIKE the NJ Lottery because on the whole they don't screw around with a bunch of dopey and gimicky games and names.

They've had their share of clunkers, like Lotzee (now defunct), Cyber Slingo, and a few scratch games that you have to spend 20 minutes to figure out if it's a winner.  But the main games -- Pick 6, Cash 5, Pick 4, and Pick 3 -- are all solid, traditional games.  Just the way they should be.

Other good things about the NJ Lottery:

• NJ also has REAL drawings, not computerized phoney drawings.
    • They have midday games.
    • The draw times are perfect -- 1:00 for midday, 8:00 for evening.
    • Drawings are televised all over the state on NJN  (New Jersey Network).
    • No state tax on lottery prizes!
    • They answer the phone when you call.
    • Their Web site, although it has a clunky front page and it is a little too hard to find some pages, has all the info you're looking for, including downloadable draw history all the way back to the first draw in the 1970s. 

Bravo New Jersey!  We may have the worst Governor and most crooked politicians in the country, but we have a great lottery!

The no state tax is perhaps the best deal for NJ.  Speaking of websites, I forgot to mention that I don't think IL update the website enough in terms of winners.  In that regard, Massachussetts, Virginia, Ohio, Michigan, California, & GA all rate high.  Makes you go hmmmm.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

United States
      Member #34266
      March 1, 2006
      188 Posts
      Posted: March 26, 2007, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Right now I'm psyched, NYLotto, 2nd place winnings, arealmost $400,000.  That's a good chunk of coin for second place. 

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: March 26, 2007, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

LottoMike, my vote is yes.

I am happy with GA, except the Win for Life game. I wish they would bring back a pick 6 game, like Lotto South.

DD

china
          United States
          Member #50326
          March 3, 2007
          33 Posts
          Posted: March 28, 2007, 4:19 pm - IP Logged

No,I hate how we do not see all of our draws in Michigan.The keno game prize has been the same since 1990.The Classic Lotto starts off too small.I think Michigan lottery is a bunch of crap.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: March 28, 2007, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Yes, Pac.  I recently wrote to the FL lottery and the reply was polite, but brief.  She wrote nothing in response to if or where they publish the pre-tests or if they are available for public viewing.  She did, however, say she was sorry I felt that some procedures interfered with the natural randomness of the game.

However, I don't think the lottery is a scam, just regulated by the State and the State is run by politicians and politicians are run by..... et cetera, et cetera.

In general, I'm pretty happy with it.  I don't really need PB or MM, since I spend more than I should already.  I'd be happy if their web site didn't go down so often and if they didn't have so many "typos" too.  I'd also be happier if I won more money! Anything.  Something.  Pleeeezzze!!!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: March 28, 2007, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

i think this was a pretty good poll.the vote is fairly even and almost 50/50.about half are happy and half aren't.what would you do if you were running a lottery and half disliked it and half liked it?  do you keep it the same for those who like it or tinker with it to satisfy those who don't?

You voted for this choiceyes[ 16 ]  [51.61%]
              no[ 15 ]  [48.39%]

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1958 Posts
                Posted: March 28, 2007, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

2 things to remember:

1. It's your own choice to play.

2. It's a game. A form of entertainment in which you can win money.

When you take into consideration those 2 things, you'll see playing the lottery is completely optional. And because it's optional, it's one of those things that can't be "rightfully" disliked. Just like everything else in life, if you don't like something, which includes the lottery, then don't get involved in it.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2007, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

2 things to remember:

1. It's your own choice to play.

2. It's a game. A form of entertainment in which you can win money.

When you take into consideration those 2 things, you'll see playing the lottery is completely optional. And because it's optional, it's one of those things that can't be "rightfully" disliked. Just like everything else in life, if you don't like something, which includes the lottery, then don't get involved in it.

Sure it's my choice to play, but it's also my choice to complain.

Unlike other sources of entertainment, there is no competition that I can go to. The states have a monopoly in this. That gives me the right to complain, hopefully to change things which of course will never happen because of the immense power and greed on their part.

Just like the town where I live in only has one phome company, Sprint to choose from if you want a land line telephone. So you have to pay their prices, or live without a home phone.

Comcast is the only high speed internet available here, and If I choose sprint and get high speed, I would first have to pay for a land line fee every month, and on top of that pay for high speed, which would amount to about the same as Comcast. It's a no win situation.

I do Have the right to complain. Them greedy bastards!

Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: March 28, 2007, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

i agree pac.these monopolies hurt people and they are greedy businessmen.i hate that it drives up prices.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #48725
                      January 7, 2007
                      1958 Posts
                      Posted: March 28, 2007, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

Sure it's my choice to play, but it's also my choice to complain.

Unlike other sources of entertainment, there is no competition that I can go to. The states have a monopoly in this. That gives me the right to complain, hopefully to change things which of course will never happen because of the immense power and greed on their part.

Just like the town where I live in only has one phome company, Sprint to choose from if you want a land line telephone. So you have to pay their prices, or live without a home phone.

Comcast is the only high speed internet available here, and If I choose sprint and get high speed, I would first have to pay for a land line fee every month, and on top of that pay for high speed, which would amount to about the same as Comcast. It's a no win situation.

I do Have the right to complain. Them greedy bastards!

The internet and telephone are resources, the lottery is a game. Sure, you can dislike something about the lottery if you want, but because it's optional, the degree for the reasons you dislike it aren't going to be very high. For example, lets say that I owned my own car dealership and ordered a brand new car and mark it up $4,000. Lets say that someone came to my dealership that has been to 10 other dealerships already looking for this type of car, but the other 10 dealerships had it marked up $10,000. This person did not tell those previous dealerships that they were expensive, but simply said "I can't afford it" and left. Would it make sense for that person to come over to me and say that I'm charging too much for the exact same car when they know many other dealerships are charging way more than I am? I know I wouldn't, but then again I don't complain much about anything, nor do I freeload that often.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: March 30, 2007, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

we need to bombard the north carolina lottery with e-mails and phone calls so they'll add a pick 4....

Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #7853
                          October 15, 2004
                          11338 Posts
                          Posted: April 5, 2007, 1:57 am - IP Logged

this is what i think of the indiana lottery......

United States
                            Member #1826
                            July 11, 2003
                            2645 Posts
                            Posted: April 5, 2007, 1:59 am - IP Logged

I was happy with the PA Lottery until they lowered the scratch-off payouts. Now I'm just O.K. with them.

(insert signature here)