Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 2:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

would you play in a jackpot pool

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 10 years ago by OldSchoolPa.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

would you play in a jackpot pool with other members here at lottery post?

yes [ 10 ]  [28.57%]
no [ 23 ]  [65.71%]
maybe but not sure [ 2 ]  [5.71%]
Total Valid Votes [ 35 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: March 27, 2007, 7:48 am - IP Logged

would you join and play in a jackpot pool with other members here at lottery post for something like mega millions or powerball?

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #50273
    March 3, 2007
    348 Posts
    Posted: March 27, 2007, 8:53 am - IP Logged

Yup.  As long as their was a prior written agreement, I don't see why not.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
      Gurnee, Illinois
      United States
      Member #49731
      February 12, 2007
      919 Posts
      Posted: March 27, 2007, 9:11 am - IP Logged

would you join and play in a jackpot pool with other members here at lottery post for something like mega millions or powerball?

My reply would not just be, "NO!", but h#*$ NOOOO!!!  I just don't think that lottery pools make sense.  First, looking down the roster of jackpot winners, it looks like more INDIVIDUALS win than do lottery pools.  Second, when you have a winning pool that makes each persons take less than $5M, it makes winning just a really nice experience rather than a life changing experience (those 100 Wisconsin players only pocketed less than a million each...I see why many of them opted to continue working at Sargentos).  Third, you open the door for unnecessary disagreements and lawsuits (hello first California Mega Millions winners!).  Fourth, winning as a part of a pool removes some of the control over the experience one might prefer.  For example, all of the lottery pools that won PB last year were prominently featured/interviewed on TV whereas a number of really big Mega Millions and more recently PB winners either totally escaped any media exposure or limited the exposure (does anyone even know the names of those big Ohio Mega Millions winners who claimed in trust or anything about that Oklahoma PB winner besides his name?).  Lastly, I wouldn't even join in a lottery pool with my family for all of the above reasons.  My thought is that pools are made for swimming, not for playing the lottery.  Unless someone has some really compelling statistics that counter my thoughts, I will continue to be a lone star lottery player.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
        Gurnee, Illinois
        United States
        Member #49731
        February 12, 2007
        919 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2007, 9:16 am - IP Logged

And what can a lottery pool of 10 - 20 people do with a third or second tier prize...agonize like that Minnesota pool that billed itself "1 Away From Retirement"?!!!  A single winner can make good use of $200K/$250K (minus taxes), but anything less than $10K is nice chump change.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: March 27, 2007, 10:45 am - IP Logged

The thought of people here pooling together and winning a PB or MM jackpot is a nice thought, but that's about as far as it goes.

OldSchoolPa brought up some excellent points, especially the second or third tier prize. 

"Lets' take the money and wait for the next big jackpot and really go for it."

"No, I want my share of the prize." 

On top of that, considering the number of threads on annuity versus cash option alone, if it happened it would probably be an absolute nightmare.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: March 27, 2007, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

Yup.  As long as their was a prior written agreement, I don't see why not.

In theory it sounds great.  We are one big, happy family, right?  On the other hand, this is the internet!  That's why not.  Have you even met one of the other members here? 

I also agree with OldSchoolPa.  I realize that spending more money on tickets increases your chance of winning, but I'm not sure it's worth the aggravation.  I am not 100% against gambling pools however.  If I worked for a company and we had a solid agreement in writing, I would most likely join the company pool. However, it would have to state that any personal numbers played outside of the pool have nothing to do with it and any prizes won by individuals do not have to be shared. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19903 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2007, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

What would be the advantage of joining a lottery pool with a bunch of strangers that have a LP membership that you have never seen compared with joining a lottery pool of friends, family and co-workers that you see every week or so?  LP members come and go and change their names all the time, I wouldn't even join a local pool if I only knew the members by their INTERNET or CB handle unless I was handling all the money myself.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
                mississippi
                United States
                Member #34478
                March 3, 2006
                5906 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2007, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

I say a family pool..or a workplace pool is just fine..as long as a written agreement that everyone agrees to... absolutely agrees to I might add..lol..Just remember onething..the more combinations you can get your hands on for every draw INCREASES your chances of winning ..WHO CARES ABOUT A LIFE CHANGING WIN..are you so greedy that you want all of it..DO YOU HONESTLY NEED..5 million dollars..10 million dollars..are you that much in debt?..NO..YOU WANT 5 MILLION OR 10 MILLION..its not that you need it..My Philosophy is this..if you get a little be happy..if you win enough to buy you a nice house or pay off your existing house that puts you way ahead in the ball game..or buy you a new car WITH NO NEW NOTES ON SAID VEHICLE OR HOUSE..

take your pic..play in a pool increase your chances..or keeep buying your 5 or 10 tickets each drawing and hope for the best...everyone keeps talking about odds and all of that stuff but it doesnt seem to me that anyone is really interested in trying to INCREASE THEIR odds at all..if I lived in a mega millions state or a powerball state..you can bet your bippy I would be finding me a pool to play in..of course I would be picking the numbers..LOL

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: March 27, 2007, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

I would play in a wading pool, but that's a different thread, huh ?

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: March 27, 2007, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Yes, but only if I was assured that I could keep the whole jackpot to myself.

Tennessee
                      United States
                      Member #7853
                      October 15, 2004
                      11338 Posts
                      Posted: March 30, 2007, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

the less people in the group the more we all would receive...

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
                        Member #48046
                        December 7, 2006
                        1699 Posts
                        Posted: March 30, 2007, 4:32 pm - IP Logged

I'm in...

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                          Member #14
                          November 9, 2001
                          31546 Posts
                          Posted: March 30, 2007, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

No way.  no.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11338 Posts
                            Posted: March 30, 2007, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

thanks for the answers.a lot of times i do these polls is to gauge how others would do.it doesn't mean that i would or wouldn't do something but most of the time i'm interested in others perceieve these things.a lot of times i might do something and then see a certain answer it could change my mind.after thinking about it more i'd rather just buy my own ticket and take it all for myself instead of maybe having trouble in a pool if someone gets disgruntled down the line....

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                              FEMA Region V Camp #21
                              United States
                              Member #520
                              July 27, 2002
                              5699 Posts
                              Posted: March 30, 2007, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Emphatically, NO!

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).