Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 2:04 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Jack W. On 20/20 Tonight

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 10 years ago by nobie23.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #50386
March 5, 2007
19 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2007, 9:55 am - IP Logged

The best thing from the show are 2 TOP lessons to learn. First, do not wantonly give money away. Second, protect yourself from lawsuits. If your an idot before you'll be one after!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2007, 10:14 am - IP Logged

When he was talking about the 50,000 pieces of mail he got from people asking for money, he said, and you have to love this coming from someone who won over $300,000,000 on a lottery ticket:

"Everybody wants somethign for nothig."

And did you pay atttention folks? 50,000 pieces of mail from strangers.

Anyonre still saying they wouldn't stay anonymous, given the choice?

I treat it like emails.... delete from sight..

Mail I receive from people I dont know never make it in the house.. I just dump it in the trash on the way in...

Advertisements are a waste of companies money... it makes it to my box.. then to the trash.. Never in my house..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51098 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2007, 10:28 am - IP Logged

The best thing from the show are 2 TOP lessons to learn. First, do not wantonly give money away. Second, protect yourself from lawsuits. If your an idot before you'll be one after!

Wouldn't a Lottery Winner Reality Show Producer want to Exploit these. Wink

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
        Member #50386
        March 5, 2007
        19 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2007, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Remember, he encouraged people with his foundation. Set up just to give it away. Didn't he say $50,000,000.00 over time?

United States
          Member #50386
          March 5, 2007
          19 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2007, 10:33 am - IP Logged

Wouldn't a Lottery Winner Reality Show Producer want to Exploit these. Wink

Exploit - no. Guide - YES.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
            Member #567
            August 14, 2002
            485 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2007, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

I saw it last night.  I felt extremely sorry for Whittaker, especially due to the loss of his granddaughter.  Not only did he mentioned that his estranged wife, Jewell, wishes that she had torn the ticket up, but he said at the end of that interview that he wished that he had never won the jackpot.  I live about an hour from Kansas (which allows anonymity), and this interview reminds me of how important it is to remain anonymous.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
              Member #50124
              February 26, 2007
              601 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2007, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

Well that was a cautionary tale in indulgence. Most of the so called curse he brought upon himself. He over exposed himself in the media national and local. He never moved from his hometown from what I gathered on the show. It also made him a target for scammers who knew where to contact him. His high profile contributed those numerous lawsuits on his business. He showed no restraint on giving his granddaughter all that money she used on drugs. He knew that was where his money was going. Why oh why did he keep on giving it to her?

It's gotta be more than his high profile that contributed to the lawsuits.  Who could be more high profile than Oprah?  She does get sued (most notably by the beef industry) but nowhere near the 400 suits per year Jack Whitaker said he got hit with.  Jack displayed extremely poor judgment in his behaviors, the dives he frequented, running his mouth off making promises.  On the show, he blamed the lawsuits on greediness of other people wanting to get something for nothing.  But  I have no doubt he made the same judgement errors in his business as he did in his personal life, and that most of those lawsuits had merit.

Like I said earlier, instead of blaming everyone else' greed and blaming the money, he needs to pull his head out of his azz and take a good look at himself and realize his own character flaws got him into this mess.  Money can't buy love or approval, and that's exactly what he was trying to use it for.  I think he kept giving the money to his granddaughter because he thought she would be mad at him or stop loving him if he cut her off, and he couldn't risk that because he so obviously needs everyone to love him. 

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                nashville
                United States
                Member #49896
                February 18, 2007
                1181 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2007, 2:29 pm - IP Logged

I treat it like emails.... delete from sight..

Mail I receive from people I dont know never make it in the house.. I just dump it in the trash on the way in...

Advertisements are a waste of companies money... it makes it to my box.. then to the trash.. Never in my house..

i agree i wouldnt open any mail i dont recognize plus i would be afraid of letter bombs and anthrax from crazy people.

st.germain's avatar - Tarlor
                  chicago ill.
                  United States
                  Member #3600
                  February 4, 2004
                  337 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2007, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

I wish that all you people would quit bashing J.W.  He was and is a successful businessman who was already a millionaire in his own right way before he ever won the lottery. He has also generously provided others with support and donations before and after winning the lottery.

The kids that were mixed up in drugs and drinking where doing that before winning lottery and J.W. couldn't have known of all the things they were doing behind his back. It was as much their lack of judgement as probaly some of his,which was also obvious.

As for people wanting something for nothing is also probaly overwhelmingly true also. Just look at your own friends and family to answer that one.

All I'm saying is that you guy's and gal's need to get off the soapbox and hope that  when the day comes that you win or become sucessfully rich like J.W. that you, hopefully , will show some restraint and not fall into the traps that others have fallen into. Put yourselves in J.W.'s place and see how this all would have affected you. 

Please, give him some space and don't be jealous of him...he really needs to be left alone to sort out all that has happened to him and his family. I'm sure that he is bashing himself really good and doesn't need any of that from you.

Don't you think that he has members in his family that visit this site and read all the hateful things you say about him. Shame on you.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                    Member #50124
                    February 26, 2007
                    601 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2007, 4:56 pm - IP Logged

I wish that all you people would quit bashing J.W.  He was and is a successful businessman who was already a millionaire in his own right way before he ever won the lottery. He has also generously provided others with support and donations before and after winning the lottery.

The kids that were mixed up in drugs and drinking where doing that before winning lottery and J.W. couldn't have known of all the things they were doing behind his back. It was as much their lack of judgement as probaly some of his,which was also obvious.

As for people wanting something for nothing is also probaly overwhelmingly true also. Just look at your own friends and family to answer that one.

All I'm saying is that you guy's and gal's need to get off the soapbox and hope that  when the day comes that you win or become sucessfully rich like J.W. that you, hopefully , will show some restraint and not fall into the traps that others have fallen into. Put yourselves in J.W.'s place and see how this all would have affected you. 

Please, give him some space and don't be jealous of him...he really needs to be left alone to sort out all that has happened to him and his family. I'm sure that he is bashing himself really good and doesn't need any of that from you.

Don't you think that he has members in his family that visit this site and read all the hateful things you say about him. Shame on you.

If he wanted to be left alone to sort this out, he wouldn't be going on 20/20.  He's the one keeping himself in the spotlight, and when you put all your business out there for everyone to see, you're gonna get judged.  And not everyone is gonna be sympathetic.  I'm sure he realized that before doing the interview, but for some reason that man just refuses see what he's doing to himself.

iowa
                      United States
                      Member #32899
                      February 16, 2006
                      46 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2007, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

If he wanted to be left alone to sort this out, he wouldn't be going on 20/20.  He's the one keeping himself in the spotlight, and when you put all your business out there for everyone to see, you're gonna get judged.  And not everyone is gonna be sympathetic.  I'm sure he realized that before doing the interview, but for some reason that man just refuses see what he's doing to himself.

You hit it on the head Lilly. Most of the actions this guy engages in is about drawing attention to himself. Dressed up all in black and wearing a ten-gallon black cowboy hat when he went to collect the money is all about "look at me, look at me". Taking nearly a half million in cash into a strip bar shows that he has a world class inferiority complex. Bragging about giving away $50 million is, of course, going to draw even more attention and leeches to yourself. Going on 20-20, going to draw more attention to yourself. His precious Brandy was not a good looking girl, and she followed in her role models footsteps buying herself friends. Which of course was not the answer, so she got herself comfort in a pill form. Much like Jack did in a bottle. Perhaps that is why he continued to give her all that money, because deep down he understood her insecurities because they were the same as his. And just because he was a "successful  businessman" doesn't mean he was a good guy. Hell, it doesn't even guarantee that he was actually good at business. A lot of the lawsuits were against his company because of the shoddy work that they did. How was that because of the jackpot win? I completely agree that the lawsuit over the boys death is without merit. However, if I remember the story right, didn't he seemingly pay off the local police to keep "sweet little Brandi" out of trouble? And as far as being jealous, we all want to win a large jackpot but I really doubt most of us want to be a self-important, self involved, insecure little dick who is incapable of accepting personal responsibility for his own families screwups. It is a prime example of the number one lottery axiom: Idiotic jackass before the win, idiotic jackass after the win. And as much as "loving" wife wants to blame the money on their splitting up, I'm sure it had more to do with the publicity he received by hitting on every single piece of strange within shouting distance. Did his wife suddenly become unattractive because of the money? I know, I know, "J.W. is a good christian". I must have missed the part of the bible that covers strip clubs, cheating on your wife, being a drunk, and giving your loved ones drug money.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                        Member #14
                        November 9, 2001
                        31539 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2007, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

"He who is without sin among you........"

love to nibble those micey feet.

Amarillo/Austin
                          United States
                          Member #1424
                          April 25, 2003
                          696 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2007, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

We never know what we would do until it occurs.  Reminds me of a conversation I had with a guy who headed the food service for an upscale assisted living center.  His last job was as head of the food service for the Angola Louisiana prison.  He had to hire kitchen staff and he tried to hire murderers because they were the best people.  They were victims of circumstances.  He refused to hire child molesters because they were truly sick. 

Anyone can be a murderer due to circumstances and anyone can make Jack's mistakes given access to that huge sum of money.  I  believe Jack W's circumstances could be repeated by 95% of the people posting on this thread, including me.  The fact that we are posting on this website means we are all looking for something for nothing.  There a lot of beggers on this website, too.  Don't be so self-righteous.

Orangeman

United States
                            Member #10720
                            January 23, 2005
                            933 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2007, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

I certainly made a point to see the 20/20 report on JW... 

It's not likely that JW or his family ever visit Lottery Post. If he or they did they would surely get a membership just so they could speak out in his defense. I certainly would. One problem is that stories don't match up or they sound far-fetched. Nobody goes to the nudie bar just to get a drink "to go" (to drink it in his car?) and you have several different people giving similar stories and he always gives a totally different story. The problem is he did get caught going to the strip club so that alone put him in a bad light because that was hard evidence. I loved the person he was right up to when he won and helped people. I'd rather be reading about that. After the strip club that's when all the crazy stories emerged. People weren't dying in his house before that. I think a lot of it stemmed from him starting drinking. Deep inside I feel that there is redemption for him somewhere and I like him no matter what. But I can tell you this if I ever win I will not start drinking nor frequent strip clubs nor be so generous.

Also some questions not answered: What bar were they showing inside of on the 20/20 show? I saw some photos of Pink Pony that I had not seen and we had even visited the area once. It was interesting the one time we visited that area including the C&L Super Serve which turned out to be nothing like I imagined it. We also went to Caesar's in AC a while back and looked for the slot machine he supposedly invented but no one knew anything about it there. I would be honored if I one day meet JW. One thing though I think people that ask him that they desperately need a new Hummer they are idiots. I think he started out with the best intentions and when people threw it in his face he gave up on himself and started the downslide.

Things I liked on the show - got to see what Brandi's "genie bottle" looked like, got to see the sign with "Pink Pony" on it, and some of those oddball requests from people wanting stuff. But I think they could have done the whole hr. on him and still not covered everything.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                              Member #14
                              November 9, 2001
                              31539 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2007, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

You need to look up definition of proselytism.  What makes you so angry?

I am as entitled to an opinion as you are.

love to nibble those micey feet.