Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

scratch-off tickets experiment

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Ms. Pat.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
ToJo76*'s avatar - lottolion2
Middle GA
United States
Member #42874
July 9, 2006
3912 Posts
Posted: April 23, 2007, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

I've been wondering if there is a way to tell before you actually scratch.  My biggest winner has probably been about $35 on one ticket.  I was so happy to have won something that I didn't really look at the ticket before I cashed it in.  I have 2 winning tickets on me right now and I also have some losing tickets of the same games.  I'm going to do a comparison and see can I come up with anything.  Who knows?!

Happily embracing my abundance daily! Big Smile

New Jersey
    United States
    Member #51734
    April 22, 2007
    22 Posts
    Posted: April 27, 2007, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

Does New Jersey have the marks, because I don't see anything.

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: April 27, 2007, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

What do you mean by "marks?" Is there some kind of streak across the ticket or something?

(insert signature here)

estreeter's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg

United States
        Member #52043
        May 7, 2007
        6 Posts
        Posted: May 11, 2007, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Buying a whole book of tickets is a sucker bet. Lottery's typically guarantee a specific amount of low tier winners in every book (for the benefit of the retailer), but that amount is usually around half the retail value of the book. In order to get the other have of your "investment" back, that book would have to include at least a few mid tier prizes or one of the top prizes. Odds are very long on either happening.

Toney725's avatar - speedykat
          Stone Mountain, GA
          United States
          Member #3189
          January 1, 2004
          28251 Posts
          Posted: May 11, 2007, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

I have been reading these posts and enjoy them very much.  I do play scratch off tickets and I usually buy 10 or 20 from the same game to increase my chances (1$ or 2$ games). Now I have been saving up some money and I want to try something new: I want to buy a whole book of 5$ tickets (It will cost 250$). But at the same time I don’t know if I’d be better off spending that 250$ on maybe 3 different 5$ games (maybe buy 15 tickets from each game). If you have tried a similar experiment or have any thoughts on this experiment, feel free to let me know. Of course, it is a matter of luck with scratch off but I think there are ways to play to increase your chances

My boyfriend and I went in together and bought a book of $10 tickets and hit for $1165.  He pick the game, I picked the store and I scratched off the winning $1000 ticket. 

It's your money, do what you want.  Smiley

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: May 11, 2007, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

My boyfriend and I went in together and bought a book of $10 tickets and hit for $1165.  He pick the game, I picked the store and I scratched off the winning $1000 ticket. 

congratulations to you and your boyfriend toney...Banana

buccos's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
              louisville
              United States
              Member #52272
              May 18, 2007
              2 Posts
              Posted: May 18, 2007, 2:16 am - IP Logged

I have been reading these posts and enjoy them very much.  I do play scratch off tickets and I usually buy 10 or 20 from the same game to increase my chances (1$ or 2$ games). Now I have been saving up some money and I want to try something new: I want to buy a whole book of 5$ tickets (It will cost 250$). But at the same time I don’t know if I’d be better off spending that 250$ on maybe 3 different 5$ games (maybe buy 15 tickets from each game). If you have tried a similar experiment or have any thoughts on this experiment, feel free to let me know. Of course, it is a matter of luck with scratch off but I think there are ways to play to increase your chances

Hi OSU and everyone

I am brand new to this forum and am enjoying this very much. Didn't realize there are so many other passionate scratchers out there and in forum style.

Any way-I  have been a scratcher for for just a few weeks now in KY and have had mixed results so far with different methods. I now check the KY lotto site often to check on the existing # of winning tickets, but recently read an investigative report from PA journalist that spoke with PA's Lotto commissioner which stated that in general, there will be no more than 2.5 times the stated odds of any game having losing tickets in a row on a given roll. So Ex- take a game with 1 in 3.5 odds times 2.5= 8.75--there should not be any more than ave. of 8.75 losing tickets in a row. Often there will be 1 or more winners in that string. Not sure it it is applicable to other states, but currently I am using that method in buying mostly $5/10/20 dollar tickets. I have hit for $100 twice, $50 twice and $25 many times;still looking for the larger hit though. Ky has about 4 $20 games, and multiple $10 dollar and even more $5. I find that method slightly better than chance.  Thought about the roll, but havent done it yet, probably wont-a little rich for me, but I'd be tempted. Good luck with your plans and let us know how they work out.

Buccos

buccos's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                louisville
                United States
                Member #52272
                May 18, 2007
                2 Posts
                Posted: May 18, 2007, 2:24 am - IP Logged

I've too noticed the marks in Tenn.  I'm not going to spoil it for anyone but 9/10 times this method works for me.  In FL I won $500 last month and I thankfully I kept the ticket.  There is a white marking on this ticket.  I noticed it at the time I bought it and said to myself... I've never noticed that before.  I knew about the marks in TN but wasn't sure FL had them.  To my surprise I won $500.  Just some food for thought I guess.

Hi all-

I am brand new to this forum and am enjoying reading through these very much. Didn't realize there are so many other passionate scratchers out there.

Any way-I  have been a scratcher for for just a few weeks now in KY and have had mixed results so far with different methods. I now check the KY lotto site often to check on the existing # of winning tickets.

Just curious, on the issue of marks are these on front or back and how is one to look for them if the tickets come out of a covered plastic case!?

Thanks for any feedback for a newbie and Good luck everyone!

Buccos

United States
                  Member #52552
                  May 29, 2007
                  55 Posts
                  Posted: May 29, 2007, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Hi I'm also new to the site, I also have found that playing scratch tickets is like going metal detecting you have to be there at the right time and place end of story.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                    North Dakota
                    United States
                    Member #13397
                    April 5, 2005
                    1623 Posts
                    Posted: June 1, 2007, 3:01 am - IP Logged

OK.  In GA and TN for sure if it has a black (L) marking between two tickets on the bottom or top cornor that is the mark you are looking for.  If the ticket is black you won't be able to see it.  I've seen a lot of $2-$10 tickets with these marks; however, I've not seen them on $1 tickets.  If the ticket is black you can turn it over and see the mark (not as clearly) on the backside.  It takes patients but they are there.  In TN I've seen them on games such as $100,000 Jackpot, Sapphire Blue 7's, and Diamond white 8's.  Next time you are in a retailer look at a diamond white 8 in the case and you can probably see the markings if you pay close attention.  Again, this doesn't always work but I would buy a marked ticket over a unmarked ticket anyday.  Good luck.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

United States
                      Member #51624
                      April 17, 2007
                      3 Posts
                      Posted: June 4, 2007, 1:58 am - IP Logged

That’s really cool, congrats! I’ve been thinking about buying a book of 10$ tickets but I had my reservations since there is a lot of risk involved. What I have been doing is buy 10 tickets in a row, then if I don’t win, buy the next 5. It hasn’t worked out so in well in particular because by the time I go home and scratch them and I return to the store, someone else comes and buys the next 1 or two tickets where I left off and they could be winners. It just happened with a similar 10$ game I was playing at the time; this guy won 500$. At least I didn’t feel as bad because I didn’t play that particular game. And check this out, about a month ago in Akron OH this guy bought a few 10 $ tickets and he didn’t win. There was one ticket left on the roll and the clerk tried to persuade him to buy. He refused and left the store, she bought it and guess what, she won a million dollars! Of course it is a game and you don't know if you’re going to win, they call it lottery for a reason. I guess I am going to take my chances and buy a whole book this time, see what happens. I'll let you guys know. Peace

p.s. I agree with the quote “ It’s your money, do what you want”

Parma, OH
                        United States
                        Member #52769
                        June 8, 2007
                        2 Posts
                        Posted: June 8, 2007, 2:24 am - IP Logged

OK.  In GA and TN for sure if it has a black (L) marking between two tickets on the bottom or top cornor that is the mark you are looking for.  If the ticket is black you won't be able to see it.  I've seen a lot of $2-$10 tickets with these marks; however, I've not seen them on $1 tickets.  If the ticket is black you can turn it over and see the mark (not as clearly) on the backside.  It takes patients but they are there.  In TN I've seen them on games such as $100,000 Jackpot, Sapphire Blue 7's, and Diamond white 8's.  Next time you are in a retailer look at a diamond white 8 in the case and you can probably see the markings if you pay close attention.  Again, this doesn't always work but I would buy a marked ticket over a unmarked ticket anyday.  Good luck.

Just posted a new thread in re: this post. 8 winners out of 10 and I only bought with the line. The 2 losers had what I would call a possible line as in, the front had half of one so probably the one before it won. The people at the gas stations thought I was nuts. Til I bought a $5 ticket (just one) and won $50; bought 2-$10 tickets cause was unsure and won $50; and bought 1- $10, 2-$5 at the same station and won on all of them. Currently, I love you for pointing this out to me. Of course, I'm obsessive compulsive and will probably be more addicted now than ever. <-)Party

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                          North Dakota
                          United States
                          Member #13397
                          April 5, 2005
                          1623 Posts
                          Posted: June 8, 2007, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

Just posted a new thread in re: this post. 8 winners out of 10 and I only bought with the line. The 2 losers had what I would call a possible line as in, the front had half of one so probably the one before it won. The people at the gas stations thought I was nuts. Til I bought a $5 ticket (just one) and won $50; bought 2-$10 tickets cause was unsure and won $50; and bought 1- $10, 2-$5 at the same station and won on all of them. Currently, I love you for pointing this out to me. Of course, I'm obsessive compulsive and will probably be more addicted now than ever. <-)Party

If you're winning what's the problem?  Have fun!  Hope the winners keep coming for you. 

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Ms. Pat's avatar - Lottery-032.jpg
                            Fayetteville, Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #3593
                            February 2, 2004
                            2285 Posts
                            Posted: June 8, 2007, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

I have never won a d_____n thing on a scratch off. Never fool with them!

Ms. Pat