Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 10:18 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ticket Cancellation

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: May 9, 2007, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

About 20 minutes ago I stopped to get my Wed evening Lotto tickets.  I handed my 4 cards to the clerk who was very friendly and patient, and she proceeded to run them through the terminal.  She looked as if she was puzzled and I asked if there was something wrong.  She had run one of the 4 cards twice and was trying to figure out which one she missed.  I said I'd be able to tell immediately, since I know my numbers by heart.  (think it's time to fill out new cards?)  She said there was a problem, so I gave her the 6 numbers and she printed my ticket.

When she handed me my change, I asked where the duplicate ticket was and she said she'd cancel it, but I asked her to please cancel it while I was there, since nobody was waiting anyway.  I was very polite and just blamed it on my quirkiness, but between us lottery nuts, I wanted to see it cancelled. She ran it through the terminal and bold CANCELLED was printed across it. 

What would you do?  In the past I've even purchased the duplicate ticket, but I didn't want to spend any more money. 

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
    mississippi
    United States
    Member #34478
    March 3, 2006
    5903 Posts
    Posted: May 9, 2007, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

50/50...after the drawing..you will either say..well..I am glad I saved that little money..orrrrrrrrrrrrrr..be kicking yourself in the butt for not having 2 winners..lol...good luck tonight Justxploring..I hope you win...

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: May 9, 2007, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

About 20 minutes ago I stopped to get my Wed evening Lotto tickets.  I handed my 4 cards to the clerk who was very friendly and patient, and she proceeded to run them through the terminal.  She looked as if she was puzzled and I asked if there was something wrong.  She had run one of the 4 cards twice and was trying to figure out which one she missed.  I said I'd be able to tell immediately, since I know my numbers by heart.  (think it's time to fill out new cards?)  She said there was a problem, so I gave her the 6 numbers and she printed my ticket.

When she handed me my change, I asked where the duplicate ticket was and she said she'd cancel it, but I asked her to please cancel it while I was there, since nobody was waiting anyway.  I was very polite and just blamed it on my quirkiness, but between us lottery nuts, I wanted to see it cancelled. She ran it through the terminal and bold CANCELLED was printed across it. 

What would you do?  In the past I've even purchased the duplicate ticket, but I didn't want to spend any more money. 

With all due respect, you have issues....LOL

I was gonna ask to move in, but I guess that's high hopes on my part...LOL.  I just want to save money...LOL

Soon... my financial problems will be a thing of the past!

United States
        Member #17555
        June 22, 2005
        5582 Posts
        Posted: May 9, 2007, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Who loves ya justxploring....

Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: May 9, 2007, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

With all due respect, you have issues....LOL

I was gonna ask to move in, but I guess that's high hopes on my part...LOL.  I just want to save money...LOL

Soon... my financial problems will be a thing of the past!

I think you are the one with issues Pac.  This is a lottery board and I was posting about an experience I had buying lottery tickets.  How do you know I didn't buy some dog or cat food and put it in the donation box at the store exit? Maybe that's what I wanted the dollar for, not because I am cheap! I don't think I should have to spend an extra dollar for someone else's error.  Also, that wasn't my point at all.  I was specifically writing to ask if it would bother anyone to know that his ticket was loosely sitting on a counter somewhere.  She planned to cancel it and didn't even ask me to buy it. 

Maybe I was misunderstood, but that was my point - if by some miracle my numbers did come up, why would I want to split half of the $3 million jackpot or wonder if a ticket was in the trash somewhere?

Sunny California
            United States
            Member #40295
            May 31, 2006
            7712 Posts
            Posted: May 9, 2007, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

JustEx, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As far as not buying the duplicate ticket, you did good. Why waste that extra buck? 

If you are concerned about your tickets not being cancelled,I wouldn't sweat it. If you're at a convenience store or other kind of market/gas station,etc.  then I'd be prone to believe they would cancel them by the end of the draw, otherwise someone would have to cough up the money. I can't see a cashier or manager wanting to put out that kind of dough out of their own pocket. By the end of the day that could translate into quite a few bucks.

And,OMG,Pac,you are just too funny today with your "financial freedom" kick! Hilarious! Hope it happens for ya!

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: May 9, 2007, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

Lotto Laughs writes:  If you are concerned about your tickets not being cancelled,I wouldn't sweat it. If you're at a convenience store or other kind of market/gas station,etc.  then I'd be prone to believe they would cancel them by the end of the draw,

WRONG!  Recently Todd posted a story about a clerk that duplicated someone's ticket and decided to purchase it at the end of the day since she couldn't sell it.  She won $200,000.  Fortunately for the REAL winner, it wasn't a jackpot win so they each got an equal amount.  Quick picks are different. 

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                Member #14
                November 9, 2001
                31361 Posts
                Posted: May 9, 2007, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

Before you go sweating bullets - wait for the draw.  too late now anyway - why worry.  be happy - don't worry.

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                  Member #10438
                  January 13, 2005
                  431 Posts
                  Posted: May 9, 2007, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

'dups' rarely happen to me so i usaully keep em..Conehead

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10353 Posts
                    Posted: May 9, 2007, 7:57 pm - IP Logged

"How do you know I didn't buy some dog or cat food and put it in the donation box at the store exit?"

It's really ironic that when the Veteran's are selling poppies or the Salvation Army is collecting it seems to be someone who had just purchased a lottery ticket that coughs up a buck or two for the chairities. I don't know how many times I've seen that.  

Most of the time that I get a ticket kicked back it's a Pick 3 or 4 for some reason. I've had times when a machine wouldn't take it but I'd go to another store with the very same playslip and that terminal takes it with no problem.

Justxploring,

Maybe each playslip is only good for X number of plays and you have to make a new one out, same numbers or not.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: May 9, 2007, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Before you go sweating bullets - wait for the draw.  too late now anyway - why worry.  be happy - don't worry.

I'm not "sweating bullets!"  I wrote that the ticket was cancelled.  I was just trying to start a topic about duplicate tickets and if you'd just walk away without knowing what happened to it.  I haven't won in all these years, so I wasn't really concerned about a one in 23 million chance that it would happen tonight, but it can happen.  Anyway, I think if someone chooses his or her own numbers and then plays then, he/she would want to make sure there wasn't an "extra" ticket hanging around.  I'm baffled at some of these replies.  People here spend so much time talking about systems and winning hundreds of millions. I just said I wanted to make sure my ticket with the numbers I've played twice a week for many years was canceled.  The jackpot is only $3M tonight. (Am I on Lottery Post?)

Codmander writes:  'dups' rarely happen to me so i usaully keep em..Conehead

Yup, I usually keep them too, Codmander.  I wrote that on another thread.  In this case, I wasn't even given the duplicate ticket.  She realized it when she was running the cards through the terminal.  Maybe I wasn't clear, but that wasn't the issue.  When she handed me my tickets I asked "where is the duplicate?"  That's all I was trying to say. Then she said she was going to cancel it later and I said I'd appreciate it if she did it now.  She didn't mind at all and showed me the canceled ticket. 

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: May 9, 2007, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

I'm not "sweating bullets!"  I wrote that the ticket was cancelled.  I was just trying to start a topic about duplicate tickets and if you'd just walk away without knowing what happened to it.  I haven't won in all these years, so I wasn't really concerned about a one in 23 million chance that it would happen tonight, but it can happen.  Anyway, I think if someone chooses his or her own numbers and then plays then, he/she would want to make sure there wasn't an "extra" ticket hanging around.  I'm baffled at some of these replies.  People here spend so much time talking about systems and winning hundreds of millions. I just said I wanted to make sure my ticket with the numbers I've played twice a week for many years was canceled.  The jackpot is only $3M tonight. (Am I on Lottery Post?)

Codmander writes:  'dups' rarely happen to me so i usaully keep em..Conehead

Yup, I usually keep them too, Codmander.  I wrote that on another thread.  In this case, I wasn't even given the duplicate ticket.  She realized it when she was running the cards through the terminal.  Maybe I wasn't clear, but that wasn't the issue.  When she handed me my tickets I asked "where is the duplicate?"  That's all I was trying to say. Then she said she was going to cancel it later and I said I'd appreciate it if she did it now.  She didn't mind at all and showed me the canceled ticket. 

The word Baffled is the operative .......LOL

Who loves you..?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19830 Posts
                          Posted: May 9, 2007, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

"Recently Todd posted a story about a clerk that duplicated someone's ticket and decided to purchase it at the end of the day since she couldn't sell it.  She won $200,000.  Fortunately for the REAL winner, it wasn't a jackpot win so they each got an equal amount."

In Ohio, Michigan and Indiana, printed MegaMillions and PowerBall tickets have to be paid for by either the store or the customers, they can't be canceled.  In Ohio, only tickets for local games can be canceled.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                            Member #14
                            November 9, 2001
                            31361 Posts
                            Posted: May 9, 2007, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

"Recently Todd posted a story about a clerk that duplicated someone's ticket and decided to purchase it at the end of the day since she couldn't sell it.  She won $200,000.  Fortunately for the REAL winner, it wasn't a jackpot win so they each got an equal amount."

In Ohio, Michigan and Indiana, printed MegaMillions and PowerBall tickets have to be paid for by either the store or the customers, they can't be canceled.  In Ohio, only tickets for local games can be canceled.

same in ga.

love to nibble those micey feet.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                              Member #5344
                              June 30, 2004
                              23641 Posts
                              Posted: May 10, 2007, 12:09 am - IP Logged

you can not cancel tickets in TN either for Lotto five or pb

I have people say they didn't want to spend the extra buck.. but actually they would rather give up half the  jackpot instead of spending the extra buck..  I think it is rather funny myself.

I will buy mistakes... who knows maybe they will have to share it with me.. I know I wouldn't mind sharing...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44