Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 6:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ticket Cancellation

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: May 10, 2007, 12:57 am - IP Logged

you can not cancel tickets in TN either for Lotto five or pb

I have people say they didn't want to spend the extra buck.. but actually they would rather give up half the  jackpot instead of spending the extra buck..  I think it is rather funny myself.

I will buy mistakes... who knows maybe they will have to share it with me.. I know I wouldn't mind sharing...

I'm never going to begin my own thread or write a blog entry again.  I guess people will see what they want to see.  Maybe might will be a relief to many, although I get a lot of PMs with nice compliments, asking me to write more.  I just read what I wrote and I NEVER said anything about a ticket that couldn't be canceled or that I refused to pay for the duplicate.  But the comments just go on and on and on.....  This seems to be a pattern lately.

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
    Member #1987
    August 5, 2003
    8968 Posts
    Posted: May 10, 2007, 1:04 am - IP Logged

About 20 minutes ago I stopped to get my Wed evening Lotto tickets.  I handed my 4 cards to the clerk who was very friendly and patient, and she proceeded to run them through the terminal.  She looked as if she was puzzled and I asked if there was something wrong.  She had run one of the 4 cards twice and was trying to figure out which one she missed.  I said I'd be able to tell immediately, since I know my numbers by heart.  (think it's time to fill out new cards?)  She said there was a problem, so I gave her the 6 numbers and she printed my ticket.

When she handed me my change, I asked where the duplicate ticket was and she said she'd cancel it, but I asked her to please cancel it while I was there, since nobody was waiting anyway.  I was very polite and just blamed it on my quirkiness, but between us lottery nuts, I wanted to see it cancelled. She ran it through the terminal and bold CANCELLED was printed across it. 

What would you do?  In the past I've even purchased the duplicate ticket, but I didn't want to spend any more money. 

I believe you did the right thing in asking for the cancellation of the ticket right then & there. 

Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: May 10, 2007, 1:19 am - IP Logged

I believe you did the right thing in asking for the cancellation of the ticket right then & there. 

Thank you!  Thumbs Up 

for addressing the original question. 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19900 Posts
        Posted: May 10, 2007, 2:16 am - IP Logged

I'm never going to begin my own thread or write a blog entry again.  I guess people will see what they want to see.  Maybe might will be a relief to many, although I get a lot of PMs with nice compliments, asking me to write more.  I just read what I wrote and I NEVER said anything about a ticket that couldn't be canceled or that I refused to pay for the duplicate.  But the comments just go on and on and on.....  This seems to be a pattern lately.

I wasn't criticizing your thread, I was just pointing out the option you chose is not always available in some situations.  Even though local lottery tickets can be canceled in my state, some clerks will put them aside for the manager to do later. 

It has never happened to me but I have seen a clerk ask a player with a $600+ ticket to come back later when the manager would be in because she didn't know what was involved in verifying a ticket to receive the money from a bank.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: May 10, 2007, 7:55 am - IP Logged

I did not say you mentioned that the ticket could not be canceled.  I just said in TN we cannot cancel tickets. The people who refuse to pay the extra dollar for the mistake would not mind splitting a jackpot... At least their numbers came.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: May 10, 2007, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Please don't stop writing. I'll just stop being a smart A$$. I was only having some fun that went way out of hand.

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
              Member #48046
              December 7, 2006
              1699 Posts
              Posted: May 10, 2007, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

I think you did the right thing too, (lucky you have that option),

No use in having an extra duplicate ticket floating aroud the store, especially if it had hit. 

I wonder though.... If the clerk had'nt cancelled the ticket in front of you,

and it had, happen to hit.

You'd probably be back at the store today to find out if it was purchased or not before the draw.

and.....that part might be tricky (not for you, you've already got your ticket)

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
                Member #48046
                December 7, 2006
                1699 Posts
                Posted: May 10, 2007, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

My fault....  I see what your getting at,

You dont want to split a Jackpot with a store owner, because the clerk made a little mistake.

Was it a Jackpot game?

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: May 10, 2007, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

No, No, No !!  No No

PLEASE keep write (pun intended) on doin what you do.

Your contributions to the forums are the only reason I read most of them.

I appreciate your wit, your common sense approach and your wonderful sense of humor.

Never stop, never surrender !!

DD

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1958 Posts
                    Posted: May 10, 2007, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

If it's Pick 3, Pick 4, or Pick5, I wouldn't care about a duplicate ticket, but if it's a rolling jackpot game like Pick 6, PowerBall, or Mega Millions, I'm going to buy it. I use my system to pick my numbers, why should an owner of a gas station make millions off my hard work? On the plus side, if I do have 2 tickets that are alike and they win the jackpot, I can have won cash option and one annuity.Big Smile

Gonna win.Big Smile

Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: May 10, 2007, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

My fault....  I see what your getting at,

You dont want to split a Jackpot with a store owner, because the clerk made a little mistake.

Was it a Jackpot game?

Thanks, yes - exactly.  It was for $3 million (now $6 million) so that's only $100,000 a year for 30 years or about $1.6M less taxes cash.  Of course I'd be thrilled winning 1/2 of that, but only if someone else actually picked the numbers or bought a quick pick ....  not because I handed someone a card and she ran it through twice.  That's all I meant.

Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1958 Posts
                        Posted: May 10, 2007, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

If I'm playing a jackpot game, I would be pissed if my ticket won the jackpot and come to find out there was a duplicate and the clerk or store owner came to claim that part of the prize. If the clerk prints a duplicate, I want to know about it!!!! I would probably sue if that happened.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: May 10, 2007, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

If I'm playing a jackpot game, I would be pissed if my ticket won the jackpot and come to find out there was a duplicate and the clerk or store owner came to claim that part of the prize. If the clerk prints a duplicate, I want to know about it!!!! I would probably sue if that happened.

I believe you might have a legitimate case too.  It certainly wouldn't be a "coincidence" if 2 people won at the same store using the same 6 numbers purchased at the same time.

By the way, thanks DD for the comments about my posting.  I didn't say I wouldn't post again, just that I probably won't begin another topic.  I just wrote a blog entry and deleted the whole thing.  I can handle criticism, but I'm really not in the mood lately.  It's been a very rough week. 

Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #48725
                            January 7, 2007
                            1958 Posts
                            Posted: May 11, 2007, 12:02 am - IP Logged

I believe you might have a legitimate case too.  It certainly wouldn't be a "coincidence" if 2 people won at the same store using the same 6 numbers purchased at the same time.

By the way, thanks DD for the comments about my posting.  I didn't say I wouldn't post again, just that I probably won't begin another topic.  I just wrote a blog entry and deleted the whole thing.  I can handle criticism, but I'm really not in the mood lately.  It's been a very rough week. 

Ya, plus the ticket has "QP6" to the right of each set that is a QP. Therefore, with none of the sets being QPs, I would have credible evidence that the clerk ran my playslip 2 times.

Gonna win.Big Smile

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
                              Tx
                              United States
                              Member #4570
                              May 4, 2004
                              5180 Posts
                              Posted: May 11, 2007, 12:58 am - IP Logged

Don't stop!

You can write as you want to, here, on your blog and elsewhere on the Internet. 

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."