Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 12:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

People in front of you dictating lots of numbers to the clerk...

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 10 years ago by SirMetro.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Does it annoy or bother you?

Heck yeah, why can't they just fill out a betslip! [ 46 ]  [75.41%]
No, it doesn't bother me. [ 12 ]  [19.67%]
See my reply. [ 3 ]  [4.92%]
Total Valid Votes [ 61 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
New Jersey
United States
Member #50273
March 3, 2007
348 Posts
Posted: May 14, 2007, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Your standing in line to play your numbers.  Either you are going to get QP's, or you have already filled out your betslips.  You have somewhere to be really soon and this is the last chance you can play your numbers before the drawing so you have to get it done now.

But one thing, Rebecca or Stanley who is standing in front of you has been dictating pick 3 and pick 4 numbers to the clerk for the last 10 minutes and doesn't seem quite done yet.  At this point are you annoyed or are you not bothered?  Why?

Well, this happenes to me a LOT.  Since I play on my breaks at work at the nearby dollar store on the boardwalk, there is a lot of foot traffic there.  I don't mind waiting in line at all.  But what does quite vex me is the joker in front of me spouting off numbers at the clerk for what seems like an eternity.  Why not just step aside and fill out some betslips?  

I have NEVER dictated numbers to the clerk before.  Even if it is one line for MM, I still fill out a betslip.  I am at the green machine for no more than 30 seconds at the most.

What about you all? 

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7712 Posts
    Posted: May 14, 2007, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

Yes,I can see how it could be annoying if someone's standing there with a whole list of numbers rattling them off. Never seen anyone do that myself.  If it's just one or two then that's okay. I've asked for a couple of numbers myself a few times but I always make sure there's no one standing behind me.

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #50273
      March 3, 2007
      348 Posts
      Posted: May 14, 2007, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

No, the other day this guy was in the store souting off numbers like there was no tomorrow.  He kept saying stuff like 553 one and one, 4 numbers please, 1111 one and one.  And he kept going back and forth like that for like 10 minutes.  By the time he was done, there was a ecent sized line behind me of probably 10 people.  That was annoying.

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
        Norfolk , Va
        United States
        Member #4541
        May 2, 2004
        25103 Posts
        Posted: May 14, 2007, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

It has happened to me alot and I just seem to hear my voice say "idiot" without thinking. Even with a huge sign in front of the machine saying PLAYSLIPS ONLY, they seem to not be able to read either. Here we have someone who can't read or write trying to win a jacpot. Everyone deserves the chance so why not? Because the store policy says PLAYSLIPS ONLY. Now we have a store clerk not understanding the policy. I blame the store clerk for it. Just my thoughts on it.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #14
          November 9, 2001
          31369 Posts
          Posted: May 14, 2007, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

Store where i buy my tickets used to allow that - enough complaints from regular customers and they stopped allowing.  Play-slips only - unless it's like 1-2 numbers.

love to nibble those micey feet.

pontiac mi
            United States
            Member #32337
            February 11, 2006
            1610 Posts
            Posted: May 15, 2007, 1:22 am - IP Logged

It has happened to me alot and I just seem to hear my voice say "idiot" without thinking. Even with a huge sign in front of the machine saying PLAYSLIPS ONLY, they seem to not be able to read either. Here we have someone who can't read or write trying to win a jacpot. Everyone deserves the chance so why not? Because the store policy says PLAYSLIPS ONLY. Now we have a store clerk not understanding the policy. I blame the store clerk for it. Just my thoughts on it.

here in michigan alot of times the bet slip  you fill out want go throught or something else happens. i write my 3 and 4 digits down on paper..[small note book pad].... i guess if i had to fill a bet slip out every time i wouldnt play as much.. or not at all.. but some people do get in line without write down their numbers, and try and remeber what they want to play and they do hold the line up.. that is a pain in but... oh yea if i play the regular lottery or meg then i fill out the bet slips

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19831 Posts
              Posted: May 15, 2007, 1:22 am - IP Logged

When I use to go Michigan for BigGame tickets, the store just north of the state line on US23 alway had a line of people waiting to buy lottery tickets and they had signs posted "Fill Out Bet Slips or Quick Picks Only" and they alway had a box of preprinted QPs for those players who didn't have any bet slips.

After MegaMillions came to Ohio, I never returned to that store so I don't know if it's still doing business the same way since it no longer get all those outer state players from south of the border.  I always thought that was a good idea because it saved time and eliminated clerks entering wrong numbers.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: May 15, 2007, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Store where i buy my tickets used to allow that - enough complaints from regular customers and they stopped allowing.  Play-slips only - unless it's like 1-2 numbers.

Sounds like a good idea.  I also find it annoying, but I'm not sure it would do any good to complain since we have so many visitors.

There is a young lady (only in high school) at Albertson's who does a great job at the counter and checks out DVDs, sells cigarettes, cashes checks, etc., and when someone started to call out numbers and how he wanted to play them the other night, I thought it was unfair to her and the other customers who needed service. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8366 Posts
                  Posted: May 15, 2007, 2:06 am - IP Logged

i play a lot of numbers myself and i don't like standing in line any more than the rest of you do. however i go out of my way to find discreet places to place my bets, places with low traffic. i will not under any circumstances place any bets with tellers whom cant punch in my numbers. have no understanding of the machine or don't know what they are doing. I will use play slips for pic 5 and mega million games. but for pick 3 and 4 no way am i going to waist my time filling out slips.

New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #50273
                    March 3, 2007
                    348 Posts
                    Posted: May 15, 2007, 2:45 am - IP Logged

i play a lot of numbers myself and i don't like standing in line any more than the rest of you do. however i go out of my way to find discreet places to place my bets, places with low traffic. i will not under any circumstances place any bets with tellers whom cant punch in my numbers. have no understanding of the machine or don't know what they are doing. I will use play slips for pic 5 and mega million games. but for pick 3 and 4 no way am i going to waist my time filling out slips.

You see, thats not bad.  You go out of your way not to hold people up.  Thats actually nice of you because most people go and play where they please and spout off numbers to clerk holding up the line.

Me, whenever I play my system numbers, I fill out betslips at home.  I always grab a few betslips from the agent on the way out.  This way when I come back, all they have to do is put it in the machine.  

Once in a while when I play numbers off the top of my head, I will get a betslip, go back to my car and fill out, then bring it back in and play it.

Aslo, I figure betslips are better anyway because there is no mistake if you fill it out neatly.  This way it removes the variable of the clerk punching in the wrong number.

United States
                      Member #1826
                      July 11, 2003
                      2645 Posts
                      Posted: May 15, 2007, 2:55 am - IP Logged

Just imagine, in Connecticut there are no play slips for their Play 3/Play 4. That has got to be a pain for both the clerk and everyone behind in line.

(insert signature here)

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                        Florence, Alabama
                        United States
                        Member #8658
                        November 13, 2004
                        1993 Posts
                        Posted: May 15, 2007, 5:42 am - IP Logged

I hate when I go to a store to play one number like 999 straight and they ask me to fill out a card because they don't want to make a mistake playing it. I tell them the only thing you could do wrong is play it for the wrong draw or the wrong amount. How can you mess up a trip???? Most machines I've seen won't let you play it boxed or str/bx????

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                          Harbinger
                          D.C./MD.
                          United States
                          Member #44103
                          July 30, 2006
                          5583 Posts
                          Posted: May 15, 2007, 9:07 am - IP Logged

Play-slips all the way.  You get good at filling them out.  And the new machines scan extremely quickly yet print one number one ticket at a time, still saves a lot of time and you know exactly what it will cost.  No chance for confusion if you have a lot a numbers, it drives me crazy when people then have to check their numbers before they walk away and start with "oh yeah, gimme 120 box 50/50, 133 straight 1.00 and by the way 445 50/50, oops I forgot 3441 1.00 box, no no sorry make that 3442 50/50 box for tonight and tommorrow morning, lemme see ok ok 556 straight/box 1.00/.50, actually I meant 566 50/50" on and on and on and on. White Bounce

Coastal Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #2653
                            October 30, 2003
                            1866 Posts
                            Posted: May 15, 2007, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Play-slips all the way.  You get good at filling them out.  And the new machines scan extremely quickly yet print one number one ticket at a time, still saves a lot of time and you know exactly what it will cost.  No chance for confusion if you have a lot a numbers, it drives me crazy when people then have to check their numbers before they walk away and start with "oh yeah, gimme 120 box 50/50, 133 straight 1.00 and by the way 445 50/50, oops I forgot 3441 1.00 box, no no sorry make that 3442 50/50 box for tonight and tommorrow morning, lemme see ok ok 556 straight/box 1.00/.50, actually I meant 566 50/50" on and on and on and on. White Bounce

I Agree! with you, Mr. Harvick ! 

The store that I go to has 2 cash registers , so the guy with 25 or 30 playslips can be there for a while, but the other problem is there is only one green machine, so if someone in the other line needs a ticket, then everything at the store comes to a screeching halt.

Throw in the cash gas buyer that comes in and doesn't even get in line, but throws a $20 at the clerk and spouts off a pump number, then we have a recipe for confusion and increased stress .

star69's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                              sebring,florida
                              United States
                              Member #81
                              September 22, 2000
                              1627 Posts
                              Posted: May 15, 2007, 10:06 am - IP Logged

the publix store has two  signs spanish/english to fill out betslips..... they still get around the clerk when the line is long and the jackpot is a large amount.  the winn-dixie store has one clerk for customer service , groceries and lotto especially when it is near the drawing. best place to play is at  the dollar stores in south florida.

Sun Smiley