Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

People in front of you dictating lots of numbers to the clerk...

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 10 years ago by SirMetro.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Does it annoy or bother you?

Heck yeah, why can't they just fill out a betslip! [ 46 ]  [75.41%]
No, it doesn't bother me. [ 12 ]  [19.67%]
See my reply. [ 3 ]  [4.92%]
Total Valid Votes [ 61 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
angelm's avatar - anne
richmond ky.
United States
Member #15877
May 22, 2005
8472 Posts
Posted: May 15, 2007, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Especially when its close to draw time and you miss out because someone was so rude not to take a few minutes to fill out a slip!!No Nod

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: May 15, 2007, 11:03 am - IP Logged

I think that happened to me just a couple of times, but not on a regular basis.

What happens a lot to me is the scratch-off people who stand to the side and scratch off their tix, and if they win, go right up to the front and ask for another ticket, or cash in one for another ticket. If they keep winning, they keep doing this over and over. Now people waiting in line have to wait for the person to take his or her time deciding which ticket they want.

I've already seen a few places with signs saying not to scratch tickets at the counter.

felinelover's avatar - nw elf4.jpg
      Florida
      United States
      Member #2118
      August 19, 2003
      39 Posts
      Posted: May 15, 2007, 11:09 am - IP Logged

It annoys the flippin H out of me.  I usually play on a work break and when I get behind some idiot that is too lazy to fill out a slip and just spouts out #s forever I could scream. Another one I don't get is people who hand tons of tickets to the clerk to check. Can't they check the paper or the web? Never have seen a clerk say,"Yes, you won!"

china
        United States
        Member #50326
        March 3, 2007
        33 Posts
        Posted: May 15, 2007, 11:51 am - IP Logged

This happens often,I am used to it.Once I remember a man had cashed in some winning tickets before he bought his 3 and 4 digits for the day,anyhow he was in line forever.His lottery bill came up to over $500. I guess he was in line with a buddy next to him or something and his friend asked if he wanted to let others go ahead of him since he was taking so long,he turned around and looked at everyone in line and shouted"f--- those people" and continued to get his numbers.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7295 Posts
          Posted: May 15, 2007, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Your standing in line to play your numbers.  Either you are going to get QP's, or you have already filled out your betslips.  You have somewhere to be really soon and this is the last chance you can play your numbers before the drawing so you have to get it done now.

But one thing, Rebecca or Stanley who is standing in front of you has been dictating pick 3 and pick 4 numbers to the clerk for the last 10 minutes and doesn't seem quite done yet.  At this point are you annoyed or are you not bothered?  Why?

Well, this happenes to me a LOT.  Since I play on my breaks at work at the nearby dollar store on the boardwalk, there is a lot of foot traffic there.  I don't mind waiting in line at all.  But what does quite vex me is the joker in front of me spouting off numbers at the clerk for what seems like an eternity.  Why not just step aside and fill out some betslips?  

I have NEVER dictated numbers to the clerk before.  Even if it is one line for MM, I still fill out a betslip.  I am at the green machine for no more than 30 seconds at the most.

What about you all? 

There are a couple of places where I can call out "give me 700 straight for a dollar 4 times, boxed it for a dollar, 2485 straight 3 times, boxed twice, and 5 auto Rolling Cash 5s" and be out of that store in less than a minute. Because so many stores are not lottery savvy and give me the "huh look", I fill out bet slips but that sometimes creates more problems. Clerks will put in the second bet slip before the machine is done printing the first one and think it's filled out wrong or get confused and run the first bet slip a second time.

When the Mega Millions jackpot is high, the News will report there are long lines but those long lines are created by people that have no idea how to play the game. I saw a clerk trying to manually put in Mega Millions numbers while a woman was figuring out which numbers to play and the second clerk was patiently waiting to run my bet slips so both cash registors had lines.

We can't really place the blame on lottery players or the clerks because waiting in line seems to be common anywhere we go. We can only cross our fingers that the person at the cash register of a "12 items or less" line didn't pick up the only item without a price tag and the person standing in front of us has showered recently.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
            A long and winding road
            United States
            Member #17084
            June 10, 2005
            4523 Posts
            Posted: May 15, 2007, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Faithfully each Sunday at our local grocery store, 1 Little ole lady gets her tiny purse out and for the next HOUR proceeds to cash tickets, spew numbers and make the clerk re-do her tickets if the INK isnt to her liking. I foolishly once stood behind her thinking her feeble mind just made her slow to recognize the line, TIL one day she made a comment that made me NEVER show kindness to her.. Her arrogance alone took away any compassion a person might have. She plays for the ENTIRE week! Imagine standing listening to THOSE numbers. So to those who THINK its a waste of time to fill payslips, How about STOP wasting MY time BY being to LAZY to ink four dots! Geesh! I guarantee you that you'll dern well take the time to sign the lottery form when its time to claim a jackpot, but you cant fill out a slip. ?

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: May 15, 2007, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

filling out FL playslips was a nightmare.. Dealing with the clerks in FL was another nightmare.. I didn't find one that knew how to play or mark the front or back pairs..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                Member #5344
                June 30, 2004
                23641 Posts
                Posted: May 15, 2007, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

It annoys the flippin H out of me.  I usually play on a work break and when I get behind some idiot that is too lazy to fill out a slip and just spouts out #s forever I could scream. Another one I don't get is people who hand tons of tickets to the clerk to check. Can't they check the paper or the web? Never have seen a clerk say,"Yes, you won!"

I advise people to bring in those tickets and let the machine check them... I would hate to see someone look over a number...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

pinkrose12121's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                  Atlanta
                  United States
                  Member #51914
                  May 1, 2007
                  21 Posts
                  Posted: May 15, 2007, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

I only play two numbers at a time, and the Indian guys have never said anything but I'm usually in there when it's pretty slow so I'm just someone there to talk to and a regular (not to mention they love hitting on me). lol

If someone was standing there spouting of ten or twenty numbers when I was there taking my break I would be really annoyed as well but for one or two numbers even three to me filling out the piece of paper is nothing but a waste to our trees and money, so no to be honest because I dont play alot of numbers I've never filled one of those slips out.

LottoChica23's avatar - Aquarius
                    Fughedaboutit (NY)
                    United States
                    Member #8160
                    October 26, 2004
                    6777 Posts
                    Posted: May 15, 2007, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

What really freaks me out is when a person in front of me on line is "reciting" a loooong list of numbers and they eventually rest their elbows on the counter in the process to get more comfortable... LOL

Then you know you are going to be there for a while.Thud

Matrix Chart Instructions--> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/191818 

check out mysticwomyn Announcers --> http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/140695/673306

You can judge the integrity of a man by the way he treats those that can do nothing for him...Thumbs Up

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                      Pennsylvania
                      United States
                      Member #1340
                      April 6, 2003
                      2450 Posts
                      Posted: May 15, 2007, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

The only time that would bother me is right before the cutoff for a number, but I plan ahead so no worries.

What would be great is if you could fill out pix "TENTATIVELY" online the night before, go to the clerk, present your driver's licence or ID card, the PIN you were given online, then the order prints for you on the spot. Think of the advantages

A) No more bet slips

B) No more long lines

C) No more explaining "complex" multi-draw bets to a clerk with that "deer in the headlights" look... ;-)

D) A better way to play advance bets... If I get my picks for the week ahead of time, I can get my week's worth picked before going on an out-of-state vacation...

Hmm, maybe I can ask the PA Lottery commission.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                        Harbinger
                        D.C./MD.
                        United States
                        Member #44103
                        July 30, 2006
                        5583 Posts
                        Posted: May 15, 2007, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

The only time that would bother me is right before the cutoff for a number, but I plan ahead so no worries.

What would be great is if you could fill out pix "TENTATIVELY" online the night before, go to the clerk, present your driver's licence or ID card, the PIN you were given online, then the order prints for you on the spot. Think of the advantages

A) No more bet slips

B) No more long lines

C) No more explaining "complex" multi-draw bets to a clerk with that "deer in the headlights" look... ;-)

D) A better way to play advance bets... If I get my picks for the week ahead of time, I can get my week's worth picked before going on an out-of-state vacation...

Hmm, maybe I can ask the PA Lottery commission.

I think that may be one of the best ideas I've seen on here ever! You rock! I'm on that train. The only draw back is,  not everybody is on-line. Sometimes I have to shut-up talking in line because I assume everybody is on-line and it just ain't so, and I get the deer in the headlight looks like: "what in the cahootsa am I talking about! Lotterypost what is that? Oh yeah, I am getting internet soon. Or they got nimda'd out a couple years ago.   Do you know where I can get a computer?"

But at least it could be a start I certainly would go with it.

A lot of people play on hunches and habit and do no reaserch at all. Alot. We have a really good resource here.

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: May 17, 2007, 12:04 am - IP Logged

i play a lot of numbers myself and i don't like standing in line any more than the rest of you do. however i go out of my way to find discreet places to place my bets, places with low traffic. i will not under any circumstances place any bets with tellers whom cant punch in my numbers. have no understanding of the machine or don't know what they are doing. I will use play slips for pic 5 and mega million games. but for pick 3 and 4 no way am i going to waist my time filling out slips.

But you've got no problem wasting the clerks time?

four4me's avatar - gate1
                            MD
                            United States
                            Member #1701
                            June 18, 2003
                            8360 Posts
                            Posted: May 17, 2007, 1:50 am - IP Logged

But you've got no problem wasting the clerks time?

the places i go have no problem with putting in my numbers or anyone else's. It not like a gas station or some other place that has long lines i might be there only customer in the place at the time i am getting my picks. And i usually give whomever is doing the job a buck so they can either buy a pick or put it in their tip jar. A buck for 2 or 3 minutes of work is a good salary. as i stated i go out of my way to find place with low traffic so as not to tie up one's primary business.

You seem to have lots of smart answers for peoples replies on many posts.  

Places that have lottery machines have signed a contract to do business for the lottery. This of course is there responsibility to do their job as they see fit if customer service beside the lottery is their main concern then they do that job first and wait on the lottery customers.  

United States
                              Member #52251
                              May 17, 2007
                              2 Posts
                              Posted: May 17, 2007, 10:17 am - IP Logged

Your standing in line to play your numbers.  Either you are going to get QP's, or you have already filled out your betslips.  You have somewhere to be really soon and this is the last chance you can play your numbers before the drawing so you have to get it done now.

But one thing, Rebecca or Stanley who is standing in front of you has been dictating pick 3 and pick 4 numbers to the clerk for the last 10 minutes and doesn't seem quite done yet.  At this point are you annoyed or are you not bothered?  Why?

Well, this happenes to me a LOT.  Since I play on my breaks at work at the nearby dollar store on the boardwalk, there is a lot of foot traffic there.  I don't mind waiting in line at all.  But what does quite vex me is the joker in front of me spouting off numbers at the clerk for what seems like an eternity.  Why not just step aside and fill out some betslips?  

I have NEVER dictated numbers to the clerk before.  Even if it is one line for MM, I still fill out a betslip.  I am at the green machine for no more than 30 seconds at the most.

What about you all? 

I've even seen this happen in stores where they have signs posted saying "please fill out betslips for all numbers other than quick picks, no exceptions!", but it still doesn't always happen.