Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NEW POLL: Have any of you met a lottery winner?

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 10 years ago by MissNYC.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Have you ever met a lottery winner?

YES [ 28 ]  [41.79%]
NO [ 39 ]  [58.21%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
484 Posts
Posted: May 17, 2007, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

If so, did you talk to him/her?  What are their lives like?  I have watched television interviews of lottery winners and became curious about their lives for years.  What are your thoughts on this? It would be interesting to hear about the effects of lottery fame from the perspectives of various lottery winners. 

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: May 17, 2007, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

I have, but she didn't win millions, just about 100,000 or so. She works at the liquor store where I shop. She and her husband still work.

The wife of a limo driver I used to work for also won a few hundred thousand, but I think that they've got only one more installment left.

I do wish to meet a millionaire winner so I can give them a sob story and get a nice hand out...LOL

Sunny California
      United States
      Member #40295
      May 31, 2006
      7712 Posts
      Posted: May 17, 2007, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

You didn't mention whether you meant a "millions and up" lottery winner but I did meet one man who won CA. Fantasy Five at the store I buy my tickets from. He used to buy tickets like crazy,everytime I'd go there,he'd be standing at the machine with all his playslips. Kind of sad but come to find out that last year he died from heat exhaustion during our heatwave last summer. The store clerk told me he and his roomate were too cheap to turn on the air conditioner and they both perished. It was in the paper so I know it was true.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10353 Posts
        Posted: May 17, 2007, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

Our neigbor in Germany won the Hessen lotto. He was the weatherman for the local TV station and kept on being the weatherman.

When I worked in Vegas we had a player who had won the jackpot in the California lottery.

She didn't say how much she had won, but her credit rating at the cage was, "Give her whatever she asks for".

She told us she took a certain amount of it and came to Vegas to 'have fun rolling some dice and betting on the NBA for a week and get it out of my system."

She wasn't a high roller on the dice tables, $5 - $25 bettor, and was putting up $110 to $1100 on the basketball games.

She hung out for just about a week and left.

I'd have to say she was one of the smart ones.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: May 17, 2007, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

my uncle won 25,000 dollars in the tennessee millionaire drawing a couple years back.his name was even featured on lottery post.he died of cancer here a few months back.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: May 17, 2007, 10:08 pm - IP Logged

Two of them.

One I had to talk some sense into.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: May 17, 2007, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

The first winner I met was in the early 70s.  A family had won the big jackpot which was $50,000.  They moved out of the projects and bought a home in the burbs. I really don't know what happened later on regarding finances.

The second winner was a couple I knew through a friend won over a million dollars (also in MA) and kept their jobs.  He was a factory worker to the best of my knowledge.  They renovated their home and used some of the money to send their children to college.  Again, this was a while ago, in the mid-80s.

3 years ago I had a customer who was complaining that she "only" got 5 numbers in MM and ended up with $250,000.  I guess I was supposed to feel sorry for her! 

I worked with a woman about 15 years ago who went to Vegas and hit the slots for just under 1/2 a million (before taxes) She bought a condo and invested the rest. 

I've never met any multi-million dollar winners. 

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                Member #14
                November 9, 2001
                31360 Posts
                Posted: May 17, 2007, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Yes - two.  ga. Fantasy Five.

One is a nice gentleman who took early retirement.  the other is a cook at nursing home - paying for her boys college.

love to nibble those micey feet.

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                  ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                  United States
                  Member #4924
                  June 3, 2004
                  5903 Posts
                  Posted: May 18, 2007, 7:19 am - IP Logged

Yes,  1, Playing Lo-Ball in a Ca Card Parlor. He seem to have his act togather. He took annual payments +$400,000. The only money he spent out of the first check was to pay-off his home. He and his wife were planning on working for 5 years and banking those checks, then retire. Guessing his age, I would say,early thirties. 

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
                    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
                    United States
                    Member #4924
                    June 3, 2004
                    5903 Posts
                    Posted: May 18, 2007, 8:00 am - IP Logged

Yes,  1, Playing Lo-Ball in a Ca Card Parlor. He seem to have his act togather. He took annual payments +$400,000. The only money he spent out of the first check was to pay-off his home. He and his wife were planning on working for 5 years and banking those checks, then retire. Guessing his age, I would say,early thirties. 

I should have added, that amount was after withholding taxes!!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19830 Posts
                      Posted: May 18, 2007, 8:20 am - IP Logged

Most people have never met a lottery jackpot winner because there just aren't that many of them.  One winner generates a hundred stories so it just seems like we're hearing about them all the time.  Years ago when I matched 5/6 in the Ohio Super Lotto for $1500, the clerk who had worked in that store for over 5 years said I was the first person in her experience to win that much lottery money.  Last month when I match 4+0 in MegaMillions for $150 at another store, the clerk said that was the biggest win she had seen since she started working there three months earlier.  I doubt if I've ever bought a ticket in a store that had a lottery jackpot winner let alone met one.  Lets face it, there aren't that many people winning big money playing the lotteries.   

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        3052 Posts
                        Posted: May 18, 2007, 9:12 am - IP Logged

My uncle Jim about 15 years ago won 5 of 6 on Oregon Megabucks for $3500.  My brother in law worked with someone who bought a $5.4 million Megabucks winner in Willamina, Oregon.  He was a mill worker until he won and he left the mill to live off the annual payments he received from the lottery.-weshar75

Sunny California
                          United States
                          Member #40295
                          May 31, 2006
                          7712 Posts
                          Posted: May 18, 2007, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Most people have never met a lottery jackpot winner because there just aren't that many of them.  One winner generates a hundred stories so it just seems like we're hearing about them all the time.  Years ago when I matched 5/6 in the Ohio Super Lotto for $1500, the clerk who had worked in that store for over 5 years said I was the first person in her experience to win that much lottery money.  Last month when I match 4+0 in MegaMillions for $150 at another store, the clerk said that was the biggest win she had seen since she started working there three months earlier.  I doubt if I've ever bought a ticket in a store that had a lottery jackpot winner let alone met one.  Lets face it, there aren't that many people winning big money playing the lotteries.   

I find this interesting that there have been so few winners where you frequent. The mom and pop store I used to work in had 4/5 winners frequently for Pick 5/Pick 6 and then as soon as I quit someone won the SuperLotto Jackpot. There is another store here,Lichine's Deli and Liquor where there have been 3 Jackpot winners since 2000. It's a little out of the way but I always try to buy my tickets there.

I'd say you're due for a big winner,RJOH! Wink Are you buying tickets somewhere where there's not a lot of heavy traffic? I know here in CA. every time you turn around the jackpots are being won in the Los Angeles area down south where,of course,it's more heavily populated. More people,more tickets,more winners.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: May 18, 2007, 10:48 am - IP Logged

RJOh, I agree with you that there aren't very many big winners, but I "know" of many people who won prizes of $5,000 and $10,000, even the Fant 5 for over $100,000.  I put the word "know" in quotes since I really don't know them at all.  However, I do know the clerks at Publix where the tickets were bought. 

Maybe a lot of members here have dozens of friends, but I don't.  So if I could write that I knew several big winners and tell you how it affected them, it wouldn't make much sense, unless the odds were less than 1 in 100.  I suppose if you include all the people I've known for years including relatives, neighbors co-workers and personal friends they would add up to over 1,000. Still the odds of personally knowing someone who won a huge jackpot would then be only 1 in 1,000.  So as frustrating as the Lottery is, and as improbable as one of us becoming a millionaire might sound, maybe the outlook isn't quite as gloomy as you say.  (I can dream, can't I?)

HOUSTON
                              United States
                              Member #1625
                              June 7, 2003
                              1089 Posts
                              Posted: May 18, 2007, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

If I've never met one, does that mean that they don't really exist?  Hmmm...

Only those who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible.