Welcome Guest
You last visited May 26, 2017, 6:58 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

NEW POLL: Have any of you met a lottery winner?

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 10 years ago by MissNYC.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Have you ever met a lottery winner?

YES [ 28 ]  [41.79%]
NO [ 39 ]  [58.21%]
Total Valid Votes [ 67 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
lacie's avatar - radar
jacksonville, fl.
United States
Member #19655
August 3, 2005
133 Posts
Posted: May 18, 2007, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

If I've never met one, does that mean that they don't really exist?  Hmmm...

I've never met one either, If I won I would look in a mirror to make sure I was'nt dreaming then give myself a pat on the back and then sit down before I fell down and try to figure out my next move.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    20041 Posts
    Posted: May 18, 2007, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

I find this interesting that there have been so few winners where you frequent. The mom and pop store I used to work in had 4/5 winners frequently for Pick 5/Pick 6 and then as soon as I quit someone won the SuperLotto Jackpot. There is another store here,Lichine's Deli and Liquor where there have been 3 Jackpot winners since 2000. It's a little out of the way but I always try to buy my tickets there.

I'd say you're due for a big winner,RJOH! Wink Are you buying tickets somewhere where there's not a lot of heavy traffic? I know here in CA. every time you turn around the jackpots are being won in the Los Angeles area down south where,of course,it's more heavily populated. More people,more tickets,more winners.

I live in a town of about 25,000 people and according to the Ohio Lottery website the last time I checked, there were 15-20 lottery retailers in the area(some only sell scratch-offs).  I alway remind people of that when they suggest I pool my money with theirs to improve my odds of winning a jackpot.  I figure at least 1,000 tickets are sold in the area for each drawing and I've never heard of anyone winning big so combining $10 with their $10 when they can spare it is not improving my odds of winning enough to be worth it.  In addition I don't like limiting the amount I spend on lottery tickets to what some else can afford and if I won big with extra tickets I bought outside the pool they would expect a share.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Amarillo/Austin
      United States
      Member #1424
      April 25, 2003
      696 Posts
      Posted: May 18, 2007, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

When I was working for the Amarillo Globe News I met a guy who won 1/14th of 51 million here in Texas.  When he realized he had won the lottery, he prayed to God that someone else would win, too, because he felt 51 million was too much money.  When he realized there were 13 other winners, he told the Lord:  "I didn't mean that many!"

I first met him when I was going to a new trampoline gym to do a story for the business page.  As I got out of the car, I ran into a scruffy little pot-bellied man with a three-day growth of beard raking leaves  I asked for Joe Blow (not his real name)  You could have knocked me over with a feather when he told me that he was Joe Blow.

He invited me into the office to meet his wife, who was working in the office.  She was about 5 foot-8 inches tall and weighed a good 300 pounds.  She has unkept long brown hair and a Hawaiian Mu Mu. 

I asked the obvious question.  " Why would you two buy a trampoline gym?"  The answer was that they liked the sport and wanted to do it for the community. 

Very nice people.  Joe still runs his landscaping business on weekdays and the gym with his wife on weekends.  I still see him from time to time.  He still looks like he fell off a trunip trunk and his wife still looks life a refugee from a trailer park.  The lottery win didn't change them.

Joe still drives that old, broken-down pickup after all these years.  It has no rust, it is paid for and runs like a top.  Why not??????

Orangeman

United States
        Member #47881
        November 30, 2006
        15 Posts
        Posted: May 19, 2007, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

I have. My best friend's Grandmother won something like $6 million a few years back in the New Jersey pick 6. She and her then deceased husband worked hard all their lives in a white collar profession. Since she was already in her 60s or 70s when she won, she didn't blow through the money. I think she spoiled her family a little bit and put the majority of it in the bank and lives off the interest. As far as I know she still has the money. She's very nice, and you'd never know she was a winner if you met her.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
          Member #4121
          March 23, 2004
          817 Posts
          Posted: May 19, 2007, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

Nope,  not yet.

Party

Roanoke Rapids
            United States
            Member #50815
            March 17, 2007
            39 Posts
            Posted: May 19, 2007, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

My friend won 7.7millions.  She is truly a good person.  She will help you if you truly need it.  She has done alot for a whole lot of people. The right one was blessed that time.

freeport bahamas
              Bahamas
              Member #46427
              September 10, 2006
              63 Posts
              Posted: May 19, 2007, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

i really wouldnt want to meet any of them,,,,,,reason being  they won by being lucky,, not a system  so i really dont  think i need to hear them talk a load of Sugar-Honey-Ice-Tea,,,,it was just their time,,,,thats all,,, now i wonder where i am in that line,,,?Cool 

United States
                Member #51916
                May 1, 2007
                16 Posts
                Posted: May 19, 2007, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Maybe their are no winners, IT's A big Conspiracy..:¦]

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: May 21, 2007, 2:55 am - IP Logged

I don't buy the 'more people more tickets more winners' line because there have been quite a few winners in sparsely populated states such as Wyoming, Idaho, Nebraska, Iowa, and just few winners from big cities such as Philadelphia.

I used to think that way - more jackpot winners from larger population areas, until I researched it.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                    Harbinger
                    D.C./MD.
                    United States
                    Member #44103
                    July 30, 2006
                    5633 Posts
                    Posted: May 21, 2007, 10:04 am - IP Logged

A couple, including a cousin over 100K.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                      nashville
                      United States
                      Member #49896
                      February 18, 2007
                      1181 Posts
                      Posted: May 21, 2007, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

I don't buy the 'more people more tickets more winners' line because there have been quite a few winners in sparsely populated states such as Wyoming, Idaho, Nebraska, Iowa, and just few winners from big cities such as Philadelphia.

I used to think that way - more jackpot winners from larger population areas, until I researched it.

thats a really good point because texas and california should hit the jackpot every other week if it was based on population or how many sold per state...

Pick3forSC's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
                        North Carolina (West of Charlotte)
                        United States
                        Member #1436
                        April 28, 2003
                        629 Posts
                        Posted: May 21, 2007, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

I have a friend who hit  for 50 K  twice on 2 $10.00 scratchers in S.C. , he won on 2 tix he bought at the same time, for a total of 100K.  Also a few yrs back at Myrtle Beach, SC,  on a pier that had a band playing at the end of it, a guy from up north somewhere must have wanted some attention as he had them announce he had won so many millions from the lottery & wanted to buy all the guys in the band & everyone gathered in that area a  round of drinks on him. Just for the record..... I had a Crown & Coke, shook his hand & thanked him!!!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                          Member #5344
                          June 30, 2004
                          23641 Posts
                          Posted: May 21, 2007, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

A customer of ours hit pick 5. She came in to assure us that she was sending flowers our way to enjoy in the store.. Flowers never made it...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                            Member #50124
                            February 26, 2007
                            601 Posts
                            Posted: May 21, 2007, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

A customer of ours hit pick 5. She came in to assure us that she was sending flowers our way to enjoy in the store.. Flowers never made it...

That's a bit sucky of her to tell you that then not follow through. 

The clerk that sells me my winning PowerBall ticket is gonna get real lucky cuz I will give a big check and a gift basket full of gift cards and other goodies when I win the big one.  And I WILL follow through with that, I promise!  If he/she was decent to me when I bought the ticket, that is.  If he/she was snotty or something, I think I'd donate the money to charity in their name.  Make sure they know they blew their chance.  Wink

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7481 Posts
                              Posted: May 21, 2007, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

If so, did you talk to him/her?  What are their lives like?  I have watched television interviews of lottery winners and became curious about their lives for years.  What are your thoughts on this? It would be interesting to hear about the effects of lottery fame from the perspectives of various lottery winners. 

I worked with two guys that split a $20 Million lotto ticket about 10 years ago and another that won $100,000 on the Buckeye 5. The lotto ticket was a QP but the Pick-5 winner used a system; he keyed 3 numbers with 10 other numbers on 5 tickets. The 3 numbers he chose were birthdates.

The people we see on TV do it by choice are willing to share how it changed their lives. It's obvious that winning a multi-million dollar windfall is a life changing event but hearing them discuss the details won't change our lifestyles.