Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

High gas prices and lottery spending.

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Do you not play as much now because of higher gas prices?

Yes, I've cut back. [ 17 ]  [26.56%]
No, I'm still playing the same. [ 32 ]  [50.00%]
I've not cut back yet but might in the future. [ 9 ]  [14.06%]
I'll never cut back. [ 6 ]  [9.38%]
Total Valid Votes [ 64 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
North Dakota
United States
Member #13397
April 5, 2005
1623 Posts
Posted: May 18, 2007, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

With gas prices over $3 in most areas the first thing that would be affect in my opinion would be lottery sales.  I have stopped playing because gas is too expensive.  Of course I'm a college student home for the summer and without a job too so no surprise there.  I was just wondering how much everyone was cutting back if at all because of the price of gas?

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Coastal Georgia
    United States
    Member #2653
    October 30, 2003
    1866 Posts
    Posted: May 18, 2007, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

My vote was I have not yet, but might have to. This dam gas thing really s-u-c-k-s !

There are so many of us that will be faced with tough decisions soon like-

Fill the tank or:

get the prescriptions filled

get food

clothing

_____________ fill in the blanks...

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
      nashville
      United States
      Member #49896
      February 18, 2007
      1181 Posts
      Posted: May 18, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

i voted still play the same but actually i play more money now...

Sunny California
        United States
        Member #40295
        May 31, 2006
        7712 Posts
        Posted: May 18, 2007, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

Good poll. This is a question that people face at ANY time,not just because gas is so high. EVERYTHING is so high,you got it,Double Down! Food,rents,clothes,medicine or any kind of health care,geese! And God help you if you have to call a plumber or electrician!  Prices will never cease going up in this world it seems. Unfortunately,I believe that this high cost of living, in some cases, may coax people to buy even MORE lottery tickets. Those millions of dollars can put stars in your eyes when you've got a drawer full of overdue bills. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: May 18, 2007, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

Yesterday I drove about 200 miles.  I stopped for gas and put $43 in my Camry and it wasn't even near the "E" but I was traveling down a road that didn't look as if I'd see a station for a long time. 

So it's hard to answer, since I've already cut back.  I voted "No" since I'll still always play my 4 combinations on Wed & Sat until the end of time.  However, I do agree that the rising prices of food and gas, along with the increase in my cable, phone and electricity bills (what about medical care?) make me think twice before I buy a Fantasy 5 or MegaMoney ticket on a non-Lotto evening. 

Lottolaughs has a good point, however.  I started to spend more when I lost my job.  Then I needed to have a good talk with myself.  It's absolutely true that many times people who feel frustrated will spend more when a dream is flashed in front of them. 

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
            North Dakota
            United States
            Member #13397
            April 5, 2005
            1623 Posts
            Posted: May 18, 2007, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I play for the fun.  It's just like going to a movie or bowling.  I don't have to play or see a movie to survive; however, I've got to eat and put gas in my truck.  Obviously, you need to know your priorities.  Playing the lottery isn't a high priority when you are watching your spending. 

How are you going to win if you don't play?

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: May 18, 2007, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

Good question...I do think high gas prices will affect lottery sales...And this made me think of something...Can you play the lottery in a grocery store?I've seen one grocery stores where you can play scratchoffs but can't play lottery (can't remember the name of the store but a hint is that the letters of the grocery stores are green)..I think walmart should have a section to play lottery...

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                Member #4121
                March 23, 2004
                817 Posts
                Posted: May 18, 2007, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

I voted not cutting back.  Hey, if you win, you will never have to worry about gas again.

Party 

Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: May 18, 2007, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

Good question...I do think high gas prices will affect lottery sales...And this made me think of something...Can you play the lottery in a grocery store?I've seen one grocery stores where you can play scratchoffs but can't play lottery (can't remember the name of the store but a hint is that the letters of the grocery stores are green)..I think walmart should have a section to play lottery...

Walmart will never sell lottery tickets.  Just my opinion, Pumpi.  Yes, most grocery stores here sell lottery tickets.  I can't think of anyone that doesn't.  Albertson's, Publix and Sweetbay sell tickets for all the Florida games.

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
                    Member #28409
                    December 15, 2005
                    1198 Posts
                    Posted: May 18, 2007, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

yes, I have to cut back. I am on a budget. Out of my budget, the lottery is the only frill I have. Any more, and I will face the decisions double down mentioned. Gas or food?

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: May 18, 2007, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

I always wait for a sale on lottery tickets, then buy them. Usually 50 cents off the regular price. The tricky part is to find them. They don't like to advertise.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                        Clarksville
                        United States
                        Member #487
                        July 15, 2002
                        17638 Posts
                        Posted: May 18, 2007, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

I cut back a long time ago.  The lottery (p3) is getting so its not worth it to play anymore.  They mess with the numbers so bad, for a long time I just quit.  I just play a little now.  If gas goes above $3.00, I will have no problem keeping my money in my pocket..I like lights, gas, water, food and medical care. Yesterday I had to put gas in my car..and the $2.99 price for regular almost made me faint..

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #6147
                          August 8, 2004
                          1396 Posts
                          Posted: May 18, 2007, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

I cut back a long time ago.  The lottery (p3) is getting so its not worth it to play anymore.  They mess with the numbers so bad, for a long time I just quit.  I just play a little now.  If gas goes above $3.00, I will have no problem keeping my money in my pocket..I like lights, gas, water, food and medical care. Yesterday I had to put gas in my car..and the $2.99 price for regular almost made me faint..

Where I am in FL, price is $3.26 today! 

Good Luck!

Stavros

Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: May 18, 2007, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

Where I am in FL, price is $3.26 today! 

I paid $3.05 on Thursday.  On the way home I saw a Hess with a price of $2.89 and was shocked since it was so "low." It was next to a BP station that was $3.08.  Funny that I thought in the sticks it would be cheaper, but I was in a place called Clewiston that was the epitome of the expression "the middle of nowhere"

MSN Auto lists the gas stations in each by zip code  I usually just stop where it's convenient, but 19 cents a gallon is a huge difference.  I won't go to a station just because it's a few pennies less.  Here are the national averages as of 5/18

Lowest in the U.S            National Average          Highest in the U.S.

Greenville, SC   $2.28               $3.13               Menlo Park, CA  $4.09  Yikes!!!!

How can there be such a big difference?  Taxes?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: May 18, 2007, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

i haven't played in a while so i've cut back.......