Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

High gas prices and lottery spending.

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Do you not play as much now because of higher gas prices?

Yes, I've cut back. [ 17 ]  [26.56%]
No, I'm still playing the same. [ 32 ]  [50.00%]
I've not cut back yet but might in the future. [ 9 ]  [14.06%]
I'll never cut back. [ 6 ]  [9.38%]
Total Valid Votes [ 64 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
inittowin's avatar - 039ee315cfea4c12c8f5
If you don't like it, spit it out!
United States
Member #4756
May 23, 2004
3435 Posts
Posted: May 20, 2007, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

I had to start playing more on the daily games, so I could win more, just to pay for the rising gas prices!

Hyper

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: May 22, 2007, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

With gas prices over $3 in most areas the first thing that would be affect in my opinion would be lottery sales.  I have stopped playing because gas is too expensive.  Of course I'm a college student home for the summer and without a job too so no surprise there.  I was just wondering how much everyone was cutting back if at all because of the price of gas?

Not cutting on the lottery, no.  Cutting elsewhere.  Like not buying food and snacks at the convenience store. Much cheaper to make a lunch at home, take it with. You'd be surprised how much money we al waste on buying "junk" that we end up either using up real fast, or wolfing down when we really weren't even hungry.  I'm just buying what I need now, not what I "want". 

Seems like we're stuck for a loooong period with the gas thing.  We'll never see 2 bucks a gallon again, but we could see four. To me, all that means is retailers will suffer.  I buy a donut and coffee and spend 2-3 bucks for it because of why?......I can eat breakfast before I leave the house and do it at half the price. That means savings to spend on the lottery, where at least there is a remote possibility of me getting something for my money.  Buying fast food or impulse buying gets you no chance at getting anything back for your money.

And I see where the Democratic-controlled Congress has quietly passed a budget that amounts to the highest tax increase in American history. It was just a blurb on the news and the media is not making a deal out of it.

Hand on to your wallets people. They're coming for us !

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: May 22, 2007, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

I just couldn't help putting my $3.17 in....LOL

It just furiates me. This country has a major crisis on it's hand, I hate to say. I am fully aware of the fact that there are shareholders and all the other reasons. All I'm saying is that just like most other problems, something has to give if a soultion, any kind of solution is derived. The things that will give is food prices, transportation surcharges, and the such.

So let me get this straight. A select few will make huge amounts of profits, and sell the soul of the economy to the devil. It sounds like what my roomate did refinancing this house for a quick 20 grand. Now his mortgage payments rose about 8 hundred a month.

Reminds me of the theme song to "Good Times". One line in the song says " Easy credit rip-offs"....LOL

United States
        Member #47881
        November 30, 2006
        15 Posts
        Posted: May 23, 2007, 3:22 am - IP Logged

Gosh...you're all luckier than you realize.

Here in sunny Los Angeles, the prices vary GREATLY from neighborhood to neighborhood. One station will charge $3.37 for regular, but that's the CHEAPEST you can find and its at one very out-of-the-way station in not such a hot neighborhood. Today I was seriously on E, like below the E, so I pulled into the first station I came to before I would run out. $3.99!! $4 gas is here people. The average price for regular around here is maybe $3.69 or so.

But to not stay off topic...I've cut back a bit. Now I play when the Fantasy 5 jackpot rolls at least twice, instead of just rolling once as I used to do. Tomorrow I have to play. The jackpot rolled for the second time tonight. Oye. This gambling issue is just getting expensive! Oh, and when Mega gets up there, as it just did, I tend to splurge on that. That $112M jackpot from last week was hit at a store maybe 15-20 miles from my house. Sigh.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
          Marquette, MI
          United States
          Member #20541
          August 20, 2005
          710 Posts
          Posted: May 23, 2007, 10:51 am - IP Logged

Maybe this will help us feel better.

Weekly Retail Premium Gasoline Prices (Including Taxes)

(U.S. Dollars per Gallon)

Date

Belgium FranceGermanyItalyNetherlandsUKUS
          4/16/076.716.566.716.547.546.933.08
          4/23/076.776.576.896.587.587.043.08
          4/30/076.806.717.096.687.777.073.18
          5/7/076.766.787.046.747.757.133.25
          5/14/076.776.727.086.737.757.123.28

Mass Tranist is Waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy more available in Europe.

The nearest train station here is at least 200 miles away and the nearest subway is 1000 miles away. 

In Europe,at least the 15 countries I was in (including those listed in your gas prices), I took the rails everywhere.  I also point out that when you ride the rails you don't get stressed out by road rage and also the cheap and crappy electronics in your car dont fail.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
            Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #1303
            March 27, 2003
            1508 Posts
            Posted: May 23, 2007, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

I cut back a long time ago.  The lottery (p3) is getting so its not worth it to play anymore.  They mess with the numbers so bad, for a long time I just quit.  I just play a little now.  If gas goes above $3.00, I will have no problem keeping my money in my pocket..I like lights, gas, water, food and medical care. Yesterday I had to put gas in my car..and the $2.99 price for regular almost made me faint..

$2.99/gallon ? I wish !  It's $3.50/gallon here, and they say 4 bucks isn't far behind !

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #50273
              March 3, 2007
              348 Posts
              Posted: May 23, 2007, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

I still play the same $5-10 bucks every drawing.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

Coastal Georgia
                United States
                Member #2653
                October 30, 2003
                1866 Posts
                Posted: May 24, 2007, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

$2.99/gallon ? I wish !  It's $3.50/gallon here, and they say 4 bucks isn't far behind !

I got regular unleaded today at Sam's Club for $2.98 and I felt like I was "getting over on the man ".

Think about that for a minute. Did you ever think that we would be happy to pay $2.98 for a gallon of gas ?

Hyper

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5587 Posts
                  Posted: May 24, 2007, 4:34 pm - IP Logged

I still play the same $5-10 bucks every drawing.

I still put the same $20 to $60 in the tank every time I get gas.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: May 24, 2007, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

I got regular unleaded today at Sam's Club for $2.98 and I felt like I was "getting over on the man ".

Think about that for a minute. Did you ever think that we would be happy to pay $2.98 for a gallon of gas ?

Hyper

Funny that I read this after thinking about yesterday when I passed a gas station that had a $2.99 sign and I said "Darn, wish I needed a fill up!"  I won't stop for gas if I only need 5 gallons. 

OMG!  Do you realize that now that's over $15 bucks?  When I was a teenager, I would put 50 cents worth of gas in the tank to replace what I used during the rare times when I was allowed to borrow my father's car.  In 1971 I remember paying a dollar and my VW bug would go for many miles. 

As I said before, it's all relative.  In 1970 I would have been happy making $150 a week.  However, I believe the incomes have not increased equally with the cost of living.  At least they haven't here in Florida.  Minimum wage has increased, but many people are selling their homes in this area because of the high cost of insurance, property taxes and general upkeep or because they've lost their jobs or their hours have been cut.  Most homeowners who purchased in the past 2 years is going to take a big hit unless they rent it until the market turns around.  I went through that up north when my company was sold anf my office was closed.  It's a tough situation.

MissNYC's avatar - diva
                      Westchester, New York
                      United States
                      Member #49345
                      January 27, 2007
                      168 Posts
                      Posted: May 25, 2007, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

I don't think I'll ever cut back, on average. I'll play $5 a draw when a jackpot hits around $70 mil, and I will play a few dollars more if it gets really big, but I'm not one of those people who will drop $50 on a single draw, ever. The way I see it, I don't smoke, people who smoke can spend $6 or more a day, so what's $10 a week on a lotto ticket?

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                        Clarksville
                        United States
                        Member #487
                        July 15, 2002
                        17638 Posts
                        Posted: May 25, 2007, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

I think Florida is expensive, too.  My sisters and brothers are there and they are struggling. My sister has to sell her property to get out from under some debts.  I am also trying to sell my land there..I am hoping to beat the 100% tax hike. My property tax doubled last year.  Florida is so expensive until pretty soon it will only be fit for millionaires.  I paid 3.02 a gallon for gas yesterday and believe me ..I had to stop and think.  I try not to make "fun" runs.  Now if I could just convince my husband that gas is high. (He loves to fish).

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Youngstown,Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #24849
                          October 27, 2005
                          386 Posts
                          Posted: May 26, 2007, 3:06 am - IP Logged

I don't think I'll ever cut back, on average. I'll play $5 a draw when a jackpot hits around $70 mil, and I will play a few dollars more if it gets really big, but I'm not one of those people who will drop $50 on a single draw, ever. The way I see it, I don't smoke, people who smoke can spend $6 or more a day, so what's $10 a week on a lotto ticket?

I put $6 worth of gas in my truck today and it laughed at me!

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: May 26, 2007, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

I put $6 worth of gas in my truck today and it laughed at me!

You're killing me...stop..Green laugh

I put 60 bucks in today...and I weeped so hard....Crying

New York, NY
                              United States
                              Member #13514
                              April 7, 2005
                              235 Posts
                              Posted: June 5, 2007, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Honestly I was not playing a whole lot anyway.  I probably play about once a week if that much, and usually don't spend more then 3 or 5 dollars depending on the wheel I use.  In fact a couple of times I've won enough to cover gas!!!  So I still play.