Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 4:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

High gas prices and lottery spending.

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Do you not play as much now because of higher gas prices?

Yes, I've cut back. [ 17 ]  [26.56%]
No, I'm still playing the same. [ 32 ]  [50.00%]
I've not cut back yet but might in the future. [ 9 ]  [14.06%]
I'll never cut back. [ 6 ]  [9.38%]
Total Valid Votes [ 64 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: May 18, 2007, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

Walmart will never sell lottery tickets.  Just my opinion, Pumpi.  Yes, most grocery stores here sell lottery tickets.  I can't think of anyone that doesn't.  Albertson's, Publix and Sweetbay sell tickets for all the Florida games.

I bought PB tickets at Wally-World here about 2 years ago, have not tried or even noticed if they still sell them.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
    Member #14
    November 9, 2001
    31553 Posts
    Posted: May 19, 2007, 12:10 am - IP Logged

I bought PB tickets at Wally-World here about 2 years ago, have not tried or even noticed if they still sell them.

So did I    walmart, k-mart

love to nibble those micey feet.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: May 19, 2007, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

So did I    walmart, k-mart

Well then I guess I owe Pumpi an apology.  I've lived in FL for over 12 years and I've never seen a lottery terminal at a KMart or WalMart, but if you guys say they sell them, I believe you. 

EDIT:  Just spent 15 minutes on the FL site.  First I entered NAPLES and got 119 locations, none of them were KMarts or WalMarts (and there are several)  Then I entered FORT MYERS and got 174 locations, none of of them KMarts or Walmarts (and that town has even more)  Then I entered another local town, one of the largest in the state, Cape Coral, and no WalMart or KMart sells tickets there either.  So I decided to type TAMPA, just in case this was something local, and there are 566 retailers listed.  I scrolled down to the letter K and then W and no KMart or WalMart stores are listed.

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: May 19, 2007, 12:29 pm - IP Logged

Out of curiosity, since I traveled a lot in the past....

Thought I'd check to see if Atlanta sells lottery tickets at WalMart or KMart.  Unfortunately, they are not listed alphabetically.  There are 615 locations and I'm not about to study all 25 pages of retailers.  However, I scrolled quickly through the names and saw lots of convenient stores, gas stations, Publix supermarkets, Kroger stores....not one KMart or WalMart. There were 2 Sam's Mart Shell stations listed at the very end, but I'm not sure if they are related to WalMart.  I always connect "Sam's" to WalMart in one way or another. 

Well, I've done my neurotic, obsessive-compulsive deed for the day. Hyper

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #14
          November 9, 2001
          31553 Posts
          Posted: May 19, 2007, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

Thought I'd check to see if Atlanta sells lottery tickets at WalMart or KMart.  Unfortunately, they are not listed alphabetically.  There are 615 locations and I'm not about to study all 25 pages of retailers.  However, I scrolled quickly through the names and saw lots of convenient stores, gas stations, Publix supermarkets, Kroger stores....not one KMart or WalMart. There were 2 Sam's Mart Shell stations listed at the very end, but I'm not sure if they are related to WalMart.  I always connect "Sam's" to WalMart in one way or another. 

Nancy - not important    USED to is key word here

love to nibble those micey feet.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: May 19, 2007, 1:02 pm - IP Logged

i have purchased lotto tickets at k mart in atlanta on buford highway so they have sold them in the past at k mart but i dont know if they still do. i also know that they sell them at grocery stores here in tennessee like Krogers...

Super8's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Orlando
              United States
              Member #11094
              February 4, 2005
              338 Posts
              Posted: May 19, 2007, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

Yes, I plan on cutting back on my play, cause I've been chasing that Cash 3 win, which has eluded me lately.

Not to mention the cost of everthing.

Get back to a more regulated.......aka budgeted play.

Super8

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19904 Posts
                Posted: May 19, 2007, 2:43 pm - IP Logged

Actually higher gas prices are making lottery tickets look like a bargain. When gas was $1.60 per gallon I would think about how far I could drive on the money I spent on $5 worth of tickets.  Now when I fill up my tank to take a 200 mile trip I think about how many chances I could buy to win a $6M+ jackpot with the same money. 

Now I enjoy playing the lottery more than taking trips.,

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: May 19, 2007, 3:42 pm - IP Logged

I know I've already written a couple of comments, but after thinking about it and seeing the different answers, it's obvious that the response will always depend on your financial situation BEFORE the price of gas went up.  If someone is very comfortable, then spending an extra $10 a week on gas will have little effect on his overall budget.  I mean, $500 more a year isn't any big deal for many people.  However, if someone is scraping by or living paycheck to paycheck, then the extra cost of gas and food will have have a very negative effect on his lifestyle.  It also depends on whether or not someone is working or retired, or how far he needs to travel to work.  If I work 3 miles from home and my neighbor works 30 miles from home, it's obvious that the cost of gas will effect my neighbor much more.  A couple with 3 children to feed needs to watch their money more carefully than a couple with the same income without any dependents.  2 years ago it didn't matter that much. I would stop on the way home from work and get Chinese take-out or order a pizza and didn't have any trouble paying bills. Now I say to myself "one pizza = $10 lottery tickets!"  LOL

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                    Marquette, MI
                    United States
                    Member #20541
                    August 20, 2005
                    711 Posts
                    Posted: May 19, 2007, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

I will now only spend the same amount once the Jackpots get to a level that I like.  If they are not at that level, I will not buy tickets.

I live in an area of Michigan that rarely ever sees winners.  I am tired of reading stories of people in SE Mich who have won multiple times like that guy who got two 1Million dollar winning scratch offs in the same store in Dexter...Or that guy in Saginaw who won the fantasy 5 twice.  Or how about that terminal in Jackson that sold Million dollar raffle winners for each drawing?  I wonder how many stories like those they decided not to publish.

I believe Michigan uses a Canadian company for their scratch offs so I quit playing those all together.....KPMG Forensics where are you???

I have been playing *OVER* 25 years and have not had any big prizes...somehow I think if I was in the SE Michigan area I would have won by now...

It would cost about $150 in gas alone for a ticket buying junket to SE Mich...let alone food and hotels

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: May 19, 2007, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

I drive for a living and have to pay for the gas. The tips pay most of the time, when the greedy rich folks throw me a bone. But recently, it seem's like the summer blend...is putting a hurt on my bottom line.

Go to Miami and see what they charge mileage wise. 2 and change just to get in the cab, and about 2.18.00 a mile averaged.

We in Sothwest Florida are averaging about 181.00 per mile. Still the lowest in Florida, and still have complaints on how expensive it is.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                        Harbinger
                        D.C./MD.
                        United States
                        Member #44103
                        July 30, 2006
                        5587 Posts
                        Posted: May 20, 2007, 11:55 am - IP Logged

Maybe this will help us feel better.

Weekly Retail Premium Gasoline Prices (Including Taxes)

(U.S. Dollars per Gallon)

Date

Belgium FranceGermanyItalyNetherlandsUKUS
                        4/16/076.716.566.716.547.546.933.08
                        4/23/076.776.576.896.587.587.043.08
                        4/30/076.806.717.096.687.777.073.18
                        5/7/076.766.787.046.747.757.133.25
                        5/14/076.776.727.086.737.757.123.28
                          weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                          Mcminnville, Oregon
                          United States
                          Member #3013
                          December 13, 2003
                          3098 Posts
                          Posted: May 20, 2007, 12:14 pm - IP Logged

I paid $3.41 here in Oregon for gas just yesterday.  I sure think about my lottery spending lately and the $1 tickets look a lot better when I am losing then spending $5 or higher and lose.-weshar75

lacie's avatar - radar
                            jacksonville, fl.
                            United States
                            Member #19655
                            August 3, 2005
                            133 Posts
                            Posted: May 20, 2007, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

Date

Are these figures really accurate? If they are, can you all see where the oil companies want to go?

The poor guys, instead of feeling like there gougeing the crap out of us, would instead be saying look here as you can see we're treating you guys very nice so quit crying about 3.28 per gallon. If we really get mad you guys might start seeing 6 or 7. dollar a gallon and don't expect your government to stop us we own all of them too.

GREAT

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: May 20, 2007, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

Date

First, I appreciate your post.  But does it make me feel better?  Not really.  I'll tell you why.  The average per capita annual income in Ethiopia is less than $200 (in U.S. dollars.)  So what?  Does that mean if someone makes $6.67 (min wage in FL) an hour he should be grateful?  It won't pay the bills in the United States.  When I was traveling in Central America, $10,000 a year was considered to be an excellent income, since the average annual income is less than $5,000 in U.S. dollars in Panama and Costa Rica.

I agree that our gas prices are far lower than in many other industrialized nations, but we also need to compare income, medical costs, housing, food and other services.  A friend just flew to another country and paid $3,000 for dental work that would cost over $15,000 in Florida.  So saying a home costs $XXX or gas costs $XXX without other comparisons doesn't mean much to me.  Most, if not all, of the above listed countries have socialized medicine.  I feel grateful every day I can keep a roof over my head, but knowing other people have much less or pay much more doesn't have a direct effect on my pocketbook.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a Prius!  Smiley  (you don't see many pre-owned ads these days!)