Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: 'Moral' obligation for a jackpot winner

Topic closed. 49 replies. Last post 9 years ago by guesser.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Does a jackpot winner have a moral obligation to leave their job?

Yes [ 1 ]  [1.45%]
No [ 34 ]  [49.28%]
Not sure [ 4 ]  [5.80%]
LET ME FIND OUT! [ 10 ]  [14.49%]
Yes, heck yes, they have to quit! [ 1 ]  [1.45%]
Eventually they'll quit anyway [ 16 ]  [23.19%]
Our society really produces robots, doesn't it? [ 1 ]  [1.45%]
Other, explain if you will. [ 2 ]  [2.90%]
Total Valid Votes [ 69 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: June 25, 2007, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Does a jackpot winner have a 'moral' or ethical obligation to leave their job, in order to free that job up for someone who really needs it?

I'm talking a sizeable jackpot that would let someone retire if they wanted to. 

We're not talking about a business owner here, but someone working hourly wage or salary at a normal run of the mill blue collar or white collar job.

I'm thinking they should leave that job to inded free it up for someone who needs it, as they don't anymore, and also it's going to get harder and harder for them to relate to the crowd they've been working with.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
    Florida
    United States
    Member #6147
    August 8, 2004
    1396 Posts
    Posted: June 25, 2007, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure.  Many people love their job, and they get great satisfaction out if it.  It would have to be an individual decision, and I don't think it has anything to do with morality or ethics.  If you want to keep your job, then keep it.  If you want to retire, then retire.  At this stage of my life, I would retire, however, I am self-employed.

Good Luck!

Stavros

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: June 25, 2007, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

I don't think they do.

Gonna win.Big Smile

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: June 25, 2007, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

Ok, let's take this one more step. Two people in the same town. One can't get hired because there are no openings, and one hit a jackpot for let's say $48,000,000. 

So the one who can't get hired has to be thinking, "Sure, no work for me and he has $48 million and a job."

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #14
          November 9, 2001
          31349 Posts
          Posted: June 25, 2007, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

Ok, let's take this one more step. Two people in the same town. One can't get hired because there are no openings, and one hit a jackpot for let's say $48,000,000. 

So the one who can't get hired has to be thinking, "Sure, no work for me and he has $48 million and a job."

imho      no

love to nibble those micey feet.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
            United States
            Member #53008
            June 19, 2007
            67 Posts
            Posted: June 25, 2007, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

I don't think a huge jackpot winner has a "moral" or ethical jackpot to leave their job.  I think most people would leave their jobs, but the majority of those people who do leave their jobs after a windfall aren't doing it to be "moral" or good to their fellow man.  They leave pretty much for purely selfish reasons to go travelling or spend more time with their family...which is perfectly fine in my mind.  So mark me down as NO.

EAST COAST, USA
              United States
              Member #49428
              January 31, 2007
              553 Posts
              Posted: June 25, 2007, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

no.

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #22395
                September 24, 2005
                1583 Posts
                Posted: June 25, 2007, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

Following that same line of thinking, everyone working at Ford Motor that makes $50,000/yr (or more) should quit because they have $50,000 plus a job and I don't.

I don't think anyone should quit if they don't want to, whether they like the job or some other reason.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: June 25, 2007, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

"someone working hourly wage or salary at a normal run of the mill blue collar or white collar job"

Absolutely!

(although my vote was "they'll quit anyway")

United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: June 25, 2007, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

truecritic

Not that same thing for the Ford workers, although they are well paid, they need the job.  Nobody puts years on an assembly line for fun.

The jackpot winner no longer needs the job.  

MIlottoplayer

This is priceless, I kow it's a Freudian slip, but still, priceless:

"I don't think a huge jackpot winner has a "moral" or ethical jackpot to leave their job..."

Justxploring, agreed, I think they will eventually quit anyway. All the "I'm going to keep working" in the world is only going to last until the first time they get really ticked off.  Then "keep working" is going to quickly turn into a well known country song!

Lep

Grand Rapids, Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #53008
                      June 19, 2007
                      67 Posts
                      Posted: June 25, 2007, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

truecritic

Not that same thing for the Ford workers, although they are well paid, they need the job.  Nobody puts years on an assembly line for fun.

The jackpot winner no longer needs the job.  

MIlottoplayer

This is priceless, I kow it's a Freudian slip, but still, priceless:

"I don't think a huge jackpot winner has a "moral" or ethical jackpot to leave their job..."

Justxploring, agreed, I think they will eventually quit anyway. All the "I'm going to keep working" in the world is only going to last until the first time they get really ticked off.  Then "keep working" is going to quickly turn into a well known country song!

Yeah, I can't believe I wrote it that way.  It is funny the way it came out.  Obviously you know what was on my mind, but at least you got my point. I think my brain works too fast sometimes for my fingers to keep up!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19826 Posts
                        Posted: June 25, 2007, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

OK, let's take it another step.  The guy who can't get hired is thinking, "Sure, no work for me and he has $48 million and a job." 

So the lottery winner quits his job and a young, single and more qualified guy gets his job so does the guy who can't get hired start thinking "Sure, no work for me and he's single with no family and gets the job, he could've got a job anywhere."

WHEN DOES THIS GUY START TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS OWN SITUATION? 

Had he been qualified he might have had that job instead of the lottery winner.

Does he thinks it's the moral responsibility of others to dumb down and have less so he can have more?  Sounds like when I was in grade schools and the dumber kids blamed the smarter kids for inflating the grading curve which caused them to fail.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                          Member #34266
                          March 1, 2006
                          188 Posts
                          Posted: June 25, 2007, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

I am an AMERICAN, I have no moral sentiments, period!

Georgia
                            United States
                            Member #49384
                            January 29, 2007
                            113 Posts
                            Posted: June 25, 2007, 9:18 pm - IP Logged

Since we have brought up the assembly line in Michigan, from what I have heard those 50 a year jobs are starting to disappear. 50 or 60 really ain't that good in Michigan or the Northeast. Right on man, you are exactly right, this is what is wrong with the education system in the U.S., and it is robbing most of the kids of a decent education. When I was younger, going to the public school down the block wasn't humiliating, because the C.E.0's kid did too.

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: June 25, 2007, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Rjoh made a good point. But i'd like to elaborate on that a bit.

We first have to define morality, and it's varied roots. You think the powerball odds are high?...LOL

Given the complexity of the variables involved, may lead someone to believe the task of pointing out the correct one would be a monumental ordeal. And they would be right.

Cows are worshipped in India. They are pretty much allowed to do, and go anywhere they want with no impedence. Much like Monks who cherish, even the most basic life forms with respect.

And everyone in between.

Sure it would be nice to give up your seat in order to allow someone else to benefit. And again, that's a good thing. But sometimes in this awkward world of never ending surprises, comes into play and defies all the rules. Not that I'm condoning going against the grain to cause a stir, but just an observation of possibilities, or situations that might seem illogical at first, but have a long term purpose.

For example, you decide that by giving up a seat might be a nice thing. A moral compass is in you. You meant well. But, hypothetically, the person you gave your job to is sitting in the seat at work the next day, and a commercial jet came right through your window. Does this make sense?

The reason I brought that up was that I believe  a similar thing happened to me, but the opposite.

At one point in NY working with a market research company, it got to a point where the sales people weren't living up to the expectations of their employers . That slow degradation led the employers to lay off 8 people, which some were sales people and other workers.. I was one of them.

About 3 years later, after the layoff, I find out that the exact places I frequented on an almost daily basis were brought to the ground. That being the twin towers. If it had not been for the company I was working for, laying me off, I could have easily been  working there at the market research co. till that eventful moment in history. BTW, I usually picked up proposals about that same time.

This is of course just my opinion. I like to break things down until I see the parts that make up the whole. I tend to see healthy prespectives as the evolutionary process thinks away. Problem solving.

There will always be a gray area in every answer. Nothing is written in stone.

So I think the moral to my story is that let things flow as if they are acting the part. Intervention with good intent could be as detrimental as an evil discourse. Not to say that good deeds should be discouraged, but in my opinion, they shouldn't be pushed. It's like forcing a woman to give birth in 7 months, rather than letting it run it's natural course. It would be like me persuading my employers to keep me, and doing a very fine job. I convince them....Push them....and probably not been able to sit here typing away, because I could have easily been there in the towers.  Not saying one is more likely than the other, but just looking at maybe just a couple of examples, possibilities, which I'm sure there are much more of.

In the case you present, I would give up the seat, and take my chances. Because in the long run, as I stated with my experience, it really doesen't matter. What's going to happen will happen, despite the varied expectations of the masses.