Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: 'Moral' obligation for a jackpot winner

Topic closed. 49 replies. Last post 9 years ago by guesser.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Does a jackpot winner have a moral obligation to leave their job?

Yes [ 1 ]  [1.45%]
No [ 34 ]  [49.28%]
Not sure [ 4 ]  [5.80%]
LET ME FIND OUT! [ 10 ]  [14.49%]
Yes, heck yes, they have to quit! [ 1 ]  [1.45%]
Eventually they'll quit anyway [ 16 ]  [23.19%]
Our society really produces robots, doesn't it? [ 1 ]  [1.45%]
Other, explain if you will. [ 2 ]  [2.90%]
Total Valid Votes [ 69 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
Mcminnville, Oregon
United States
Member #3013
December 13, 2003
3055 Posts
Posted: June 25, 2007, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion it depends on the individual as to whether they view moral obligation externally as in the sense of it being objective and applicable to them.  Or their view is internally based on their own desires, upbringing and conscience.-weshar75

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #50273
    March 3, 2007
    348 Posts
    Posted: June 25, 2007, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

Why should they?  Its their money and their choice.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5124 Posts
      Posted: June 25, 2007, 11:06 pm - IP Logged

ODK

Had to vote let us see on this WON?????????????????????????

It sounds like (2) Inquisition -(5) Saint Mary RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

(9) Labyrinth of Prayers^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

(ALL COMBINED in ONE)

GREAT..........................POLL..........but, (A Photographic Memoir)

PSYKOMO 

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #22395
        September 24, 2005
        1583 Posts
        Posted: June 25, 2007, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss

Not that same thing for the Ford workers, although they are well paid, they need the job.  Nobody puts years on an assembly line for fun.

The jackpot winner no longer needs the job.  

Why I say it is the same thing...it is a matter of perception.  $50,000 would last me a minimum of 3 years.  So by my standards, I say they don't need the job.  Let me have the job for 3 years.    They have their $50,000 too bad if they didn't save it.  Just like some lottery winners that also didn't save their winnings and ran out of lottery money.

Or maybe the example should be only those Ford workers that did save a lot of money get to give up their job for me?

Or this might be a more realistic example for you, let me have some CEO job, surely they don't need the millions in salary and bonuses!

Does anyone retire from a job with the idea that they are helping someone else get that job?  I wonder if that even occurs to anyone as a "moral" reason for retirement?

To my way of thinking, the only time that I might give up a job for someone is for nepotism.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: June 25, 2007, 11:18 pm - IP Logged

If I didn't have to be there, I wouldn't. It WOULD be partly to free up the job, and partly because I would be free from the bonds of corporate opression!!!

But I don't think it should be mandatory. Some people like their job. (I am NOT one of those). Everyone's situation is different... could be the routine would help them get into the role of millionaire without making such crazy decisions... I don't know.

I have no doubts that the lottery should at least DELAY the announcement until the winner has the check in hand, because I can guarantee that if I was publicised and had to wait 8 weeks for the money, I would have to do so on the unemployment line because of those cheap $%^&* I work for.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10354 Posts
            Posted: June 25, 2007, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

truecritic

"Does anyone retire from a job with the idea that they are helping someone else get that job?  I wonder if that even occurs to anyone as a "moral" reason for retirement?"

Well for some people there definitley comes a "time to move on". Others are forced to move on. It all goes to make up attrition rates. Even multi-million dollar athletes hiy a time when it's time to move over. Earl Weaver said in all his years of managin baseball the hardest thing he ever had to do was tell Brooks Robinson he wasn't playing. 

You may be exceptionally well at handling money and $50 K would last you three years, but a lot of things have to be considered.  

Does a person have bills (mortgage, car payments, credit cards) or are thye living "heat, eat, and taxes"? (Utilities, food, and property taxes). How many dependents? What's the monthly nut? Etc., etc.... 

You're mostly right about the CEO's salaries and bonuses. consider the guy who ran K-Mart for about six months and got more in severance pay than most people make in a lifetime. He got more in severance pay than a ot of CEO's make working! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: June 26, 2007, 4:07 am - IP Logged

You're mostly right about the CEO's salaries and bonuses. consider the guy who ran K-Mart for about six months and got more in severance pay than most people make in a lifetime. He got more in severance pay than a ot of CEO's make working! 

It's true that I will probably never make nearly as much as some top executives, but we don't live in a communist country.  People have a right to work their way up to the top and negotiate for whatever salary they think they're worth.  Top models make millions.  So what? 

Anyway, in another thread I mentioned a nice lady who gave up her job because the hours at a local store were being cut.  She was well-off and only working to get out of the house and didn't feel it was morally right to stay since so many others needed the job to make ends meet.  I think that's what Coin Toss is talking about. 

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10354 Posts
                Posted: June 26, 2007, 10:32 am - IP Logged

Bingo! The lady you mentioned is exactly what I was referring to.

Re: the CEO's - true about what they can negotiate for themselves, to a point. In the late 1980's, the people at the top at GM stiffed their employees on profit sharing one year while still divvying up millions in bonuses for themselves. The employees got a letter that stated GM didn't make enough that year to pay anything in profit sharing- while they still got theirs.

Pre WW II CEO's made about 20 to 100 times what their average hourly wage earner made. Today they make thousands times more. Factor in NAFTA, jobs going to Mexico, China, and India to cut labor costs, and globalist corporations and eventually something will give somewhere. When they take the jobs away from the people making and buying their product, guess what.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7322 Posts
                  Posted: June 26, 2007, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

Following that same line of thinking, everyone working at Ford Motor that makes $50,000/yr (or more) should quit because they have $50,000 plus a job and I don't.

I don't think anyone should quit if they don't want to, whether they like the job or some other reason.

I voted "no" but believe they will eventually quit their jobs anyways.

The auto industry has been downsizing for years so if a jackpot prize winner does quit, they probably wouldn't hire anybody to replace them and if they did, because of seniority rights that new hire would never get that job or those wages. Ford has 30 and out so it depends on the number years service an employee has and the amount of the jackpot before this scenario could even play out.

This poll should be a "no-brainer" for those wanting to remain anonymous and for those worried about people asking a jackpot winner for money.

Westerose
                    Canada
                    Member #52915
                    June 15, 2007
                    189 Posts
                    Posted: June 26, 2007, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

I can't really see the point of someone who wants to keep their hourly wage job going after a Huge Jackpot.

As for moral obligation to anything in the event of a huge lottery win... Morals are subjective things in these sort of cases.

Some areas there is a worker shortage and their quitting would really put the company in a bind.... Other areas have high umemployment.

Most people after a huge win do quit their job and many after a small jackpot win do as well.

Frankly I am rather sick of people thinking that Jackpot winners have an obligation to do anything. It's up to the person just what they do.

My hope for everyone who wins is that they live their dreams out and not everyone elses simply because of imposed subjective morals.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

ArtVandalay's avatar - 3237774708 dd3351ee2c_m.jpg
                      Arizona
                      United States
                      Member #52803
                      June 10, 2007
                      88 Posts
                      Posted: June 26, 2007, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

The obligation isn't moral; it's pratical. If I owned my own business, and if it was more than "just a way to make money", then maybe I would keep that business as a means of some sort of fulfillment. As it is, I work a blue collar job for an hourly wage, and I would quit my job in a "New York minute" if I ever won enough money to retire on, not only to free up the job for somebody else, but also to free up myself to do the things that I want to do. I like to think that I would throw myself into some cause that would benefit others. I've always had a desire to help out the "underdogs" in our society.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                        Magnolia, Delaware
                        United States
                        Member #18795
                        July 20, 2005
                        789 Posts
                        Posted: June 27, 2007, 12:17 am - IP Logged

Does a jackpot winner have a 'moral' or ethical obligation to leave their job, in order to free that job up for someone who really needs it?

I'm talking a sizeable jackpot that would let someone retire if they wanted to. 

We're not talking about a business owner here, but someone working hourly wage or salary at a normal run of the mill blue collar or white collar job.

I'm thinking they should leave that job to inded free it up for someone who needs it, as they don't anymore, and also it's going to get harder and harder for them to relate to the crowd they've been working with.

I say "NO" to the moral or ethical obligation!

What makes you think "any" company is going to hire anyone to replace a person (in this day and age) that leaves them? Most companies these days are look for ways to get rid of as many people they can! Less people on the payroll, less money out of pocket for their health care insurance and unemployment insurance payment the company has to pay to the state for each and every employee they have on the payroll.

There is no moral or ethical obligation to anyone, whatsoever! No one, other than to yourself.

And if you were to leave the job (because of your winning the jackpot) to open that position up for someone who may need that job, so be it! And good for you, if it's the moral or ethical thing for you to do!

But if you think for one New York minute it's going to be looked upon by others as the moral or ethical thing to do, then you better pull your Head out of the sand and wake up to todays world and not yesterday's world! Better yet, stop looking at this world we live in today, through those sixties heart shaped rose colored glasses you're wearing!! 

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10354 Posts
                          Posted: June 27, 2007, 1:41 am - IP Logged

Well that's a little harsh.

As far as head out of the sand and 60's rose colored glasses, you've got the wrong guy, pal...in the 60's I was in the freaking jungles in Viet Nam getting rocketed and mortatred, and you?

I find it quite interesting that all I did was pose a question and am getting jumped on by a lot of people. Yeesh.

I guess actual discussions will always take second place to "What I'd do with a billion". Yeesh. 

Lesson learned.

Lep

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                            Member #41383
                            June 16, 2006
                            1969 Posts
                            Posted: June 27, 2007, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Ok, let's take this one more step. Two people in the same town. One can't get hired because there are no openings, and one hit a jackpot for let's say $48,000,000. 

So the one who can't get hired has to be thinking, "Sure, no work for me and he has $48 million and a job."

So what makes you think the unemployed guy has the knowledge or qualifications to step in and take the lottery winner's job ?

Not all lottery winners bolt wheels onto cars or deliver the mail, some are skilled labor. 

Coastal Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #2653
                              October 30, 2003
                              1866 Posts
                              Posted: June 27, 2007, 10:15 am - IP Logged

Well that's a little harsh.

As far as head out of the sand and 60's rose colored glasses, you've got the wrong guy, pal...in the 60's I was in the freaking jungles in Viet Nam getting rocketed and mortatred, and you?

I find it quite interesting that all I did was pose a question and am getting jumped on by a lot of people. Yeesh.

I guess actual discussions will always take second place to "What I'd do with a billion". Yeesh. 

Lesson learned.

Not your day, is it CT ?  Smash

Oh well, someone has to be the hammer and someone has to be the nail...

Peace out...DD