Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 9:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Stay here, or flee the country ?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 9 years ago by hennybogan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

You just won 15 mill in the lottery, 7 mill in cash...

Stay here, pay the fine, life goes on. [ 30 ]  [62.50%]
Flee with all my money to a foreign country. [ 18 ]  [37.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:28 am - IP Logged

Since we seem to be on a 'morality kick' as of late, let me ask this:

(there is no room for discussion on the dollar amounts)

Two months ago, you were found liable for a car wreck/someone drowned in your pool/your pit bull killed someone.

The Court levied a 7 million dollar judgement against you (forget the Insurance argument - you had none).

Last week you won 15 million in the Lottery, 7 million cash. 

You CAN flee the USA with all your money and go somewhere like Cuba, Argentina or Venezuela (no arguing 'the gov't will lock up my accounts'), or some other country we don't have an extradition treaty with, and never come back, OR you can pay the 7 mill you just won, and stay here.

What do you do ?

Remember - in this scenario, you CAN take it with you, and you cannot barter down the 7 million dollar judgement, all or nothing.

What do you do ? 

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
    PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:50 am - IP Logged

Wait till next draw, get 10,000 more tickets.

Westerose
      Canada
      Member #52915
      June 15, 2007
      189 Posts
      Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:53 am - IP Logged

As long as my wife and kids can come too......  I'm outta there is a New York Minute lol

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:58 am - IP Logged

Wait till next draw, get 10,000 more tickets.

Not an option.

PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:59 am - IP Logged

Actually I would take the annuity, as you would only lose half the money as opposed to all. Not to mention that you will not be getting $7 million after taxes. You would still be very rich, and very free. Something you will not be if you flee and one day get captured by bounty hunters.

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: July 2, 2007, 2:28 am - IP Logged

Actually I would take the annuity, as you would only lose half the money as opposed to all. Not to mention that you will not be getting $7 million after taxes. You would still be very rich, and very free. Something you will not be if you flee and one day get captured by bounty hunters.

You did not read my entire post.

I said there is no discussion on the dollar amount: it is what it is, and I also said (basic inference) you will be in a country where they cannot come and get you. US Marshalls, Dog the Bounty Hunter, whatever, nobody can get you.

You are taking it off-topic. 

Westerose
              Canada
              Member #52915
              June 15, 2007
              189 Posts
              Posted: July 2, 2007, 2:40 am - IP Logged

I said there is no discussion on the dollar amount: it is what it is, and I also said (basic inference) you will be in a country where they cannot come and get you. US Marshalls, Dog the Bounty Hunter, whatever, nobody can get you.

I wish A&E would stop playing dog the bounty hunter..... I know I don't have to watch it and I don't still I wish they would stop airing it.....

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: July 2, 2007, 4:07 am - IP Logged

This topic is simply moronic, and makes little sense. You are creating your own rules now, not abiding by "reality." The odds of this situation happening as you describe it is even less likely than hitting the powerball. Selecting an annuity would be the only logical answer. Fleeing with the cash option which is not enough after taxes anyway, is simply stupid.

You are trying to manipulate answers based on your own rules, not reality, and other options that would be present. Freedom is more important than money, or should be.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49767 Posts
                  Posted: July 2, 2007, 6:23 am - IP Logged

Two months ago, you were found liable for a car wreck/someone drowned in your pool/your pit bull killed someone.

The Court levied a 7 million dollar judgement against you (forget the Insurance argument - you had none).

You CAN flee the USA with all your money and go somewhere like Cuba, Argentina or Venezuela (no arguing 'the gov't will lock up my accounts'), or some other country we don't have an extradition treaty with, and never come back, OR you can pay the 7 mill you just won, and stay here.

What do you do ?

Remember - in this scenario, you CAN take it with you, and you cannot barter down the 7 million dollar judgement, all or nothing.

What do you do ? 

The Right Thing!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: July 2, 2007, 8:05 am - IP Logged

The Right Thing!

I Agree!

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: July 2, 2007, 9:33 am - IP Logged

First, I'm not so sure the courts would blame me for the drowning. It depends what the circumstances were. If I was that wreckless to begin with, and allowed a situation for the drowning to have happened, then I'm just a total idiot, and deserve it. But if all the safety precautions were there and the person drowned because they couldn't swim, well that's not my fault.

Second, depending on what state I lived in at the time, I might be able to dodge the system as far as the pitbull case.

For example, in NY there is a law called, (paraphrasing) " The dog propensity ) propensity...spelling? law". It basically states that if a dog does not have a propensity (a history of attacks)  to attack someone, and that it was it's first attack, the judge will throw out the case 95 percent of the time. So it also depends what the situation is. The dog scenario ties in with the pool problem. Again, if I was such an idiot as to have allowed or even owned a pitbull that I knew was on the edge all the time, then I don't deserve any sympathy, and deserve my punishment. But if not, then I would have a case. But the way you structured the question makes me think that I simply don't have a conscience, even if I was found innocent. Whoohoo, let's flee to Mexico and have a party...HUH? I'd be devastated if I was responsible, even if it was indirectly my fault, even if I was cleared of any wrong doing. A person was killed either way, unless I had no conscience.

Same goes with the car accident.

Boy, I think you basically answered your own question. For someone to be that inept in so many areas of life shouldn't be given any money at all which might lead to even more bad decision making in the future. Not to mention that this hypothetical person who is a walking disaster, should seek mental help, not money....lol

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                        Harbinger
                        D.C./MD.
                        United States
                        Member #44103
                        July 30, 2006
                        5583 Posts
                        Posted: July 2, 2007, 10:19 am - IP Logged

Hypothetically speaking, this is very hypothetical, so I would hypothetically do something hypothetical.

LOL jarasan

P.S. Here is my answer. US Flag

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
                          Member #391
                          June 8, 2002
                          16069 Posts
                          Posted: July 2, 2007, 10:43 am - IP Logged

What do you do ?

What do you do ? 

I would take the 7 million and hire a good lawyer and sue the estate of the idiot that stole my car, crashed it into my pool and drowned. I'd also go after the estate of his/her accomplice which my pit bull ran down and killed.

I think I would come out ahead of the game and I get to stay here.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10351 Posts
                            Posted: July 2, 2007, 10:48 am - IP Logged

Maybe law enforcement coudln't legally come get you, but some very nasty dudes from where ever you go might come after you. Especially once word got out, which it would, that you're a foreigner who hit the lottery back home and are there on the lam.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

SirMetro's avatar - center
                              East of Atlanta
                              United States
                              Member #6191
                              August 11, 2004
                              1389 Posts
                              Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

I am here by choice and not by birth to begin with.

There is no other country that I would declare my allegiance to and there is no price I would not be willing to pay to insure I stay.

This is what it means to be an American to me.