Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Stay here, or flee the country ?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 9 years ago by hennybogan.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

You just won 15 mill in the lottery, 7 mill in cash...

Stay here, pay the fine, life goes on. [ 30 ]  [62.50%]
Flee with all my money to a foreign country. [ 18 ]  [37.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 48 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 4 ]  
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: July 2, 2007, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

This topic is simply moronic, and makes little sense. You are creating your own rules now, not abiding by "reality." The odds of this situation happening as you describe it is even less likely than hitting the powerball. Selecting an annuity would be the only logical answer. Fleeing with the cash option which is not enough after taxes anyway, is simply stupid.

You are trying to manipulate answers based on your own rules, not reality, and other options that would be present. Freedom is more important than money, or should be.

It's not moronic at all.

*I* started the topic, *I* put down the groundwork (rules), *YOU* chose to not play by the rules, why you even posted knowing that is beyond me.  And now you call ME moronic. What gall you have.  The question I put forth is NO DIFFERENT than 'what would you do with a billion dollars ?'.

It's absolutely no different than walking into a shoe store with your son, you tell him he has $50 to spend on shoes, but the ones he wants are $100. You can't have the $100 ones, you only have $50. And you need shoes TODAY.

I'm sorry you don't get it, you should not have even replied to this topic. 

Jarasan 'gets it',  Sir Metro 'gets it', I'm sorry some of the others didn't. 

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
    Member #48046
    December 7, 2006
    1699 Posts
    Posted: July 2, 2007, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

7 million in another country, might be as good as 70 million,

Still...  If it took the whole sha-bang, to bail me out of all that trouble, (7 Mil) Thats what I'd do, and start over.

Besides..... I didn't think they had Pb in (South America),

How would I play?

Running away wouldn't help my consious, morals, ethics, heart. head, whatever. 

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
      PA
      United States
      Member #22983
      October 6, 2005
      2226 Posts
      Posted: July 2, 2007, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

There is nothing "to get." You basically are only saying, would you give up all your money or flee the country? Only a greedy idiot would choose the latter. You are taking away real life scenarios that would actually be possibilities, and you seem to be angered that some people are able to actually find loopholes in your "game." I think you are the one who "doesn't get it."

Also I did not call you moronic, I called the topic moronic due to unrealistic limitations of choices.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: July 2, 2007, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

I am here by choice and not by birth to begin with.

There is no other country that I would declare my allegiance to and there is no price I would not be willing to pay to insure I stay.

This is what it means to be an American to me.

Nice to hear Sir Metro's point of view.  I used to travel a lot and no matter how beautiful the weather was on the island or how friendly the people were in the country, I always felt something I can't describe when the plane landed at Logan Airport.   

There are some situations in which I might take off, if you are talking about the hypothetical, but it wouldn't be to escape criminal prosecution.  Who wants to be a fugitive from justice? 

As others have said, this isn't going to happen to anyone.  If there is a pending lawsuit, a good lawyer can drag it on for several years while you get lots of interest on the money.  So you can pay the fines and still have enough to enjoy some of your jackpot.  Once you have your hands on the money, there are lots of way to hide/protect it for a while and negotiate better terms, but why brand yourself for life by taking off?

By the way, I'm not sure "paying up" is always the right thing to do.  I would never walk away from an accident, but if I had a pool, I would also have the right insurance to protect myself from frivolous lawsuits.  My car has the maximum coverage too.  Although this is a hypothetical question, it's not as over-the-top as people are saying.  If this wasn't a lottery board, Guesser could have asked "you find a bag of money and....."  You either believe taking care of pending legal obligations is important or you don't.  In some cases I wouldn't care.  What if I had a fence around my pool and the person who drowned broke into my yard?  Is that my fault?  No, but the family certainly is going to try to milk me for everything I've got once they learn I won millions. 

Grand Rapids, Michigan
          United States
          Member #53008
          June 19, 2007
          67 Posts
          Posted: July 2, 2007, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

Well I'll abide by the rules set forth by guesser here on this question.  If those are my only 2 options I would have to pay off the 7 million and stay in the country.  This was really a "no-brainer" for me.

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: July 2, 2007, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

I'd stay here and negotiate the fine if I could.

I have a conscience and it would not allow me to do option 2.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
              Member #41383
              June 16, 2006
              1969 Posts
              Posted: July 2, 2007, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

There is nothing "to get." You basically are only saying, would you give up all your money or flee the country? Only a greedy idiot would choose the latter. You are taking away real life scenarios that would actually be possibilities, and you seem to be angered that some people are able to actually find loopholes in your "game." I think you are the one who "doesn't get it."

Also I did not call you moronic, I called the topic moronic due to unrealistic limitations of choices.

A 'moronic topic' usually comes from a moronic person, and yes, I had a limit of choices - two of them - very simple ones - stay or go. 

This is why I tried SO HARD in the first post to say - no 'loopholes', but you insisted on making some.

I set the ground rules, YOU didn't like them, and you argue ?

If YOU set up a poll and set ground rules, you can bet I'd follow them to the letter, or I wouldn't get in on it.

And you are 100% correct: I asked would you give up your money or flee the country, yes or no, that was the question, that was the ONLY question. 

What if I asked 'What is your favorite number from 1 to 10 ?' and you said 'that's not fair because my favorite number is 12 - expand the choices' ?

This discussion has run its' course. 

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                Member #13130
                March 30, 2005
                2171 Posts
                Posted: July 4, 2007, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

The only moral dilemma here is whether or not to obey an unjust law, or one applied unjustly.

When the ovens were being fired up at Auschwitz, all the necessary "laws" had been put in place making everything "legal". Hiding Jews was illegal.

When Stalin was starving the Ukraine into submission, it was "legal". Bringing food into the region was illegal.

Critical thinking is no longer taught. The sheeple just bleat mindlessly about whether something is "ill-eagle" or not.

American Revolution: "ill-eagle", anyone think we should have remained a colony of England? 

Underground Railroad: "ill-eagle"

Escaping from East Germany to West Germany (Berlin Wall days): "ill-eagle"

Many people don't even realize they would never have been born (or lived very long) had not their grandparent or great-grandparent committed the "ill-eagle" action of escaping or fighting an unjust regime. Perhaps people will have a more realistic view after Nov. 2008.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Columbia City, Indiana
                  United States
                  Member #2978
                  December 9, 2003
                  381 Posts
                  Posted: July 4, 2007, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

I've read the post and the responses, but the only part I don't get is the "morality kick" reference. Where is this taking place? I've heard the talking heads (no; not the band) and politicians making noise in recent weeks about American morals, but that's all it amounts to - making noise; very few people today actually practice their moral beliefs, and even fewer will admit to it.

Now that I have that off my chest, I'll answer the poll.

Personally, I couldn't live comfortably knowing that someone had lost their life due to my own negligence. You might as well have asked if we would kill someone for seven million dollars. Would it be worth it to flee the country? Realistically, it would not, because you'd be looking over your shoulder for the rest of your life, even in Argentina, wondering if and when someone would discover your true identity or your net worth. Once that happens, your seven mil is essentially gone anyway, or would be following a few years of making payoffs to an ever-increasing number of people and officials to keep your secret.

Why not just go somewhere else? You certainly could, but moving from country to country would quickly become tiring and very expensive. Plus, I'm pretty sure my wife would find me no matter where I went (there's nothing in the rules that says I have to take her with me), so I would ultimately lose much more than the money (certain essential body parts, for example). 

The only way out of this, without breaking the rules as set forth by Guesser, would be to get yourself elected Vice President of the United States, and then declare that those laws don't apply to you.

I think it's an interesting question, and one which requires some true soul-searching to provide an honest answer.      

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                    Member #13130
                    March 30, 2005
                    2171 Posts
                    Posted: July 4, 2007, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Of course, $7Mil would be quite heavy, too Clown. And you have to declare anything over 10 Grand.

I think if we're talking about the practicalites of making it happen in the real world, it won't.

That leaves us with the principle of the event and the two choices in Guesser's "universe" Cool 

Does the punishment fit the "crime"? 

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
                      Member #4121
                      March 23, 2004
                      817 Posts
                      Posted: July 4, 2007, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Lurking  I think I would stay with 7 milliion in cash and live off the interest.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                        Member #24380
                        October 21, 2005
                        623 Posts
                        Posted: July 7, 2007, 4:28 am - IP Logged

Definitely stay.  There is trouble around the globe.  Better suited to deal with familiar troubles.Confused

hennybogan's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                          McKinney/Texas
                          United States
                          Member #47363
                          November 1, 2006
                          706 Posts
                          Posted: July 15, 2007, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

When you know you have little time left here on earth, YOU BOLT SO FAST nobody has any idea where you went!

Ephesians 3:20