Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Trash diving

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 9 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
stephi's avatar - winifrid
rural lowcountry, south carolina
United States
Member #31677
February 2, 2006
196 Posts
Posted: July 6, 2007, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

I've read about others collecting tickets from trash cans and i've thought about it. I don't currently do it because i figure someone would say something to me. Do the store people or police mind? Thank you.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
    nashville
    United States
    Member #49896
    February 18, 2007
    1181 Posts
    Posted: July 6, 2007, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

i have seen people check trash cans for scratch off tickets so they can check for winners someone accidentally threw away but i havent seen anyone checking for winning lottery tickets like powerball. i think the people who do it ask the store owner or the clerk first because some regulars who see them doing it may get mad and not want to play there anymore, one guy called it "sharking" and he intentionally tears his old scratch offs to pieces then throws them away...

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10345 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2007, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

I've read about others collecting tickets from trash cans and i've thought about it. I don't currently do it because i figure someone would say something to me. Do the store people or police mind? Thank you.

There's a term for this, something beside "scavengers", but there are people that hang around horse racing tracks (and OTB parlors) that go through all the tickets thrown away, looking for winners. 

I guess lottert ticket "dumpster diving" ( or really 'trash can' diving) just takes that up one level.

Or maybe the people you rad about were trying to collect as many losers as they could, for taxes! 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: July 6, 2007, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

When I've watched Law & Order they always say discarded items are no longer personal property.  However, I think the actual container (trash can, dumpster) is so you need to ask permission to "dive" into it.  I can't stand washing my own toilet.  So I guess I'll never put my hands into a strange trash can.  I had a neighbor who was a garbage collector for Waste Management and, after hearing the stories, I never want to even think about it.  He told me about some of the things people put in their trash cans, including used needles and dead pets.  So I'm not sure I'm that eager to search for lottery tickets.  

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
          Member #50124
          February 26, 2007
          601 Posts
          Posted: July 6, 2007, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

I recently saw a story along these lines.  It said that many stores have a special trash can right by the place customers congregate to play their scratch-offs.  In their down time, store employees go thru the discards and check for winners that were missed.  I guess they can make a bit of cash doing this.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: July 6, 2007, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

There's a term for this, something beside "scavengers", but there are people that hang around horse racing tracks (and OTB parlors) that go through all the tickets thrown away, looking for winners. 

I guess lottert ticket "dumpster diving" ( or really 'trash can' diving) just takes that up one level.

Or maybe the people you rad about were trying to collect as many losers as they could, for taxes! 

i also heard that tax story before so as long as the losing ticket wasnt already signed by someone else then anybody can claim it on taxes and say it was a gambling loss...

Grand Rapids, Michigan
              United States
              Member #53008
              June 19, 2007
              67 Posts
              Posted: July 6, 2007, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

You must have A LOT of free time on your hands if you're seriously contemplating doing this.  I mean seriously...why waste your time.  Those tickets are in the trash for a reason.  I mean what are the odds of finding a winner?  Probably worse than the odds of winning the Powerball or Mega Millions and if you do find a winner it will probably be a low dollar amount and definitely not worth the time and energy you put into it.  I wouldn't do that on my worst day!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: July 6, 2007, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

It's not worth it.

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: July 6, 2007, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion, If someone is sifting through garbage, they need to reflect on their situation and do something about it.

They're at a really strong crossroads at that point in their life.

Trying to find a winning lottery ticket in a dumpster is as likely as beating the astronomical odds at a lotto game or powerball. Not to mention unappealing to the neighborhood in which you live.

Just like Jarasan says.....Is it worth the grief?

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                    Tennessee
                    United States
                    Member #7853
                    October 15, 2004
                    11338 Posts
                    Posted: July 6, 2007, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

if someone told me right now there was a scratch off worth 50 dollars in the dumpster i would not go in to get it.you'll never catch me in a smelly nasty dumpster no matter what.....

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                      nashville
                      United States
                      Member #49896
                      February 18, 2007
                      1181 Posts
                      Posted: July 6, 2007, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

In my opinion, If someone is sifting through garbage, they need to reflect on their situation and do something about it.

They're at a really strong crossroads at that point in their life.

Trying to find a winning lottery ticket in a dumpster is as likely as beating the astronomical odds at a lotto game or powerball. Not to mention unappealing to the neighborhood in which you live.

Just like Jarasan says.....Is it worth the grief?

some people will say you are a gambling addict if you will go through trash looking for winning tickets and some others will say that you are really dedicated to winning the lottery one day.

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: July 6, 2007, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

if someone told me right now there was a scratch off worth 50 dollars in the dumpster i would not go in to get it.you'll never catch me in a smelly nasty dumpster no matter what.....

I'm sorry Mike...lol

There are exceptions to every rule. And in the case you presented, I wish to say I would gladly go for it.

I can shower afterwords knowing i made the quickest 50 bucks in history. Just imagine if 5 people offered the same challenge everyday?

That's $250.00 a day....

I'm sure there will be plenty of antibacterial soap for scrubbing...lol

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                          Member #14
                          November 9, 2001
                          31343 Posts
                          Posted: July 6, 2007, 9:52 pm - IP Logged

I hope you're not talking about dumpsters.  The store i buy my ticket at - a guy goes through the discarded scratch-off tickets (with the store's permission).  Sometimes he finds free tickets - sometimes tickets worth cash. 

His biggest find was a $100.

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: July 6, 2007, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

some people will say you are a gambling addict if you will go through trash looking for winning tickets and some others will say that you are really dedicated to winning the lottery one day.

I tell this to as many people as I can.

The Odds Are The Reality.

Dedication is one thing. Reality is another.

The odds are the reality. Read into it whatever you want to...bottom line...it's the odds.

You can have the best system in the world....with only ten sets of numbers to play. It doesen't matter. There are still many many many more possibilities out there not taken into account. As in the p-3, playing the best top ten sets, there are still 990 other possibilities that can come out. I don't care how good the system is. The odds rule in every case. 

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                              nashville
                              United States
                              Member #49896
                              February 18, 2007
                              1181 Posts
                              Posted: July 6, 2007, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

I tell this to as many people as I can.

The Odds Are The Reality.

Dedication is one thing. Reality is another.

The odds are the reality. Read into it whatever you want to...bottom line...it's the odds.

You can have the best system in the world....with only ten sets of numbers to play. It doesen't matter. There are still many many many more possibilities out there not taken into account. As in the p-3, playing the best top ten sets, there are still 990 other possibilities that can come out. I don't care how good the system is. The odds rule in every case. 

well anyone looking in a trash can has to realize that the odds arent good that a winner was sold there and the winner checked their ticket in the store, somehow overlooked it and thought it was a loser and then decided to throw it in the trash and on top of all of that you would have to get there before the trash is emptied or before another person who goes through the trash for tickets gets there. i have seen people get free tickets from scratch offs that way in the trash can but no jackpot winners or any real cash so the odds arent good that you will find a winning ticket in the trash that you will be able to retire from the winnings. i guess those people would tell me the same thing about my odds of winning powerball or megamillions but i plan to keep on playing those jackpot games anyway.