Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 9:52 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Trash diving

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 10 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
stephi's avatar - winifrid
rural lowcountry, south carolina
United States
Member #31677
February 2, 2006
196 Posts
Posted: July 6, 2007, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

Thanks y'alls, i appreciate it. I've decided it against it.

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    51076 Posts
    Posted: July 6, 2007, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

Thanks y'alls, i appreciate it. I've decided it against it.

That's too bad!

You might miss out on:

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/121277.htm

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8393 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2007, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

When i read stories about people who have scratched a ticket saw that they might be a winner but weren't sure so they show the ticket to someone else who says yes it's a winner then the person still doubting they have a winner takes it to the ticket counter to get checked and when told it's a winner still doesn't believe they have a winner. Like they are dumb struck.

I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that many people have tossed a winning scratch ticket into the trash. Either because they didn't scratch all the areas on the ticket, were to hurried to pay attention or were dumb struck and simply threw it away not to mention the drunks and dopers who couldn't read the ticket if they were half straight. Also there are many illiterate people who for whatever reason buy scratch tickets they can neither read nor understand who think if they have the three like numbers or symbols that's all they need to know. And many of these people also toss tickets without scratching the bonus areas.

So here's my simple rule if i go into a store and see a pile of scratch ticket in the trash can i grab them on my way out. I could care less what anyone thinks, i am simply taking advantage of a situation that just might yield a big winner. A lot a places now keep the scratch can closes the their checkout counter so the people who work there can capitalize on some dumb person misfortune.

At one self serve gas station near me there are people who scratch tickets all day and they discard there tickets all over the ground around the window and in the receptacles on the islands. I have picked up the discarded tickets and found a few bonus areas not scratched on several occasions. My yield a free ticket and 5 bucks. Plus i did the station owner a favor by cleaning up the area.

awwcrap's avatar - moon
        ky
        United States
        Member #37768
        April 19, 2006
        90 Posts
        Posted: July 7, 2007, 12:21 am - IP Logged

No way,  I'll be diving into a dumpster,,,95degrees and 80% humidity,,,the discarded mashpotatos will stew into whole new biospherePoke

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
          Member #24380
          October 21, 2005
          623 Posts
          Posted: July 7, 2007, 3:41 am - IP Logged

Remember the old guy thta got the $1,000,000.00 or so dollar ticket from the trash and the other guy sued him, had a heart attack anad died a few months later, then his son took up the lawsuit?  It was here on Lotto Post last year, I think.  The older man always made a habit of scavenging and he hit it big.  I can not remember what he ended up settling the suit for.  Anybody remember?

Baton Rouge, LA
            United States
            Member #4602
            May 7, 2004
            700 Posts
            Posted: July 7, 2007, 9:01 am - IP Logged

One day when I when to a buy a $100,000 Hold 'Em Poker scratch off, the clerk behind the counter told me he had fished losing tickets out of the trash and sent them in for the second chance drawing and won a prize package of World Series of Poker merchandise.  I also have a coworker who plays that game and give me the losers to send in.  I don't know why she doesn't send them in herself, but I don't mind.  Hard to believe how many don't participate in second chance drawings when they are offered.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
              Mid-Missouri
              United States
              Member #644
              August 31, 2002
              4271 Posts
              Posted: July 7, 2007, 9:25 am - IP Logged

One day when I when to a buy a $100,000 Hold 'Em Poker scratch off, the clerk behind the counter told me he had fished losing tickets out of the trash and sent them in for the second chance drawing and won a prize package of World Series of Poker merchandise.  I also have a coworker who plays that game and give me the losers to send in.  I don't know why she doesn't send them in herself, but I don't mind.  Hard to believe how many don't participate in second chance drawings when they are offered.

I was wondering if anybody was going to bring up second chance drawings. Can you imagine how many extra tickets people get by trash diving? A buddy of mine from work's wife works at a convenience store and trash dives all the time when they have second chance drawings. In a period of 3 years they won 2 trips on the second chance drawings thru the lottery. One of them was a full week paid (with spending cash) to Hawaii. I can't recall where the other was to but I know they went twice on the lottery's dime...courtesy of the other players.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                FEMA Region V Camp #21
                United States
                Member #520
                July 27, 2002
                5699 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2007, 10:14 am - IP Logged

I was wondering if anybody was going to bring up second chance drawings. Can you imagine how many extra tickets people get by trash diving? A buddy of mine from work's wife works at a convenience store and trash dives all the time when they have second chance drawings. In a period of 3 years they won 2 trips on the second chance drawings thru the lottery. One of them was a full week paid (with spending cash) to Hawaii. I can't recall where the other was to but I know they went twice on the lottery's dime...courtesy of the other players.

Me too, Bryan.  This is an excellent way to get into the second chance drawings.  I did that last year and sent in 35 entries each containing $30 ($1050) in losing tickets.  The store owner didn't mind a bit...I was helping him empty his trash and if I won, it would most likely have originated at his store.  Other players never paid attention to what I was doing.

I never even double-checked them to see if they were winners...my main concern was to get a lot of entries into the second chance draw.  The odds and cost were a lot better for the chance of winning a million cash.

IL has the second chance thing going on right now.  It is the biggest total prize promotion they've ever had.  I'm not "dumpster-diving" this year but I am sending in my losers.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: July 7, 2007, 10:41 am - IP Logged

I agree with Bryan and Rick G -

I was standing next to a trash can in a store and looked down and there was a huge pile of the $20 Million Dollar scratchers there and these are eligible for second chance drawings. I took them and sent them in along with mine.

Oh, the good news is one of them was a free ticket winner that was overlooked so I redeemed it for a free ticket and the free ticket hit for $100.00.

I wasn't "dumpster diving"- these were right on top kinda like the eclair that George Costanza ate from the trash can in a classic Seinfeld episode .  LOL

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: July 7, 2007, 11:42 am - IP Logged

Remember the old guy thta got the $1,000,000.00 or so dollar ticket from the trash and the other guy sued him, had a heart attack anad died a few months later, then his son took up the lawsuit?  It was here on Lotto Post last year, I think.  The older man always made a habit of scavenging and he hit it big.  I can not remember what he ended up settling the suit for.  Anybody remember?

I think Raven's link was to a story about the man.  That turned out to be a nasty battle.  The man who claimed he bought the ticket and accidentally through it away had a heart attack and died.  The family kept trying to stop the payment to the winner and there was a settlement. Otherwise he probably would have died before the case was settled.  I think that's a very, very rare situation.  But it's a warning too.  If you find a ticket in the trash, don't go back to the same store to validate it! 

I have to agree with Pac about the $50 bill, only make it $100 because I'd really gag a lot.  I'd wear a really good pair of gloves or maybe dress up in a HASMET suit.  lol  I don't really know if I could do it, since once I began to look in the small cigarette/trash can in the entrance to Publix where someone had tossed some scratch tickets and I felt really funny as if I were scavaging, and they were in plain sight.

I remember in MA when you had to pay a deposit on all canned soda.  Lots of people would go through every trash can in sight and then take a big bag into a store for change.  When I was in a rehab** we planned a party and my "job" was to collect the cans from the rooms and the cafeteria to get money for refreshments.

(**rehabilitation center as in physical therapy after an accident.  I don't know why I always feel I have to clarify this, but if I say rehab, everyone automatically thinks of drugs and alcohol.)  

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: July 7, 2007, 11:50 am - IP Logged

I never heard of second chance drawings, although I think MA had them. Not sure, since I've lived here for 13 years.  (my mind can only hold so much stuff, like a tupperware container)  I once suggested that would be a good idea.  Maybe someone else in FL on this board can tell me if I'm missing something.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8393 Posts
                        Posted: July 7, 2007, 11:55 am - IP Logged
                        9 out of 10 trash cans in stores that sell tickets usually only have tickets in them maybe in the farm stores and food shops there might be some emptied sugar packs and lil milk containers, rarely is there any foul debris in them.
                          stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #6147
                          August 8, 2004
                          1396 Posts
                          Posted: July 7, 2007, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

Lived in MA 20 years and we had 2nd chance drawings.  In FL now for several years and no 2nd chance here.

Good Luck!

Stavros

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                            nashville
                            United States
                            Member #49896
                            February 18, 2007
                            1181 Posts
                            Posted: July 7, 2007, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

well today after i left the gym i went to the gas station around the corner and i asked the clerk if anyone comes by to trash dive and she said that the store saves up all the tickets that are discarded and a woman comes in once a week and buys the trash bags of tickets because he has found $1000 and $300 winners in there. i dont know how much the woman pay for the bags each week.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                              Member #14
                              November 9, 2001
                              31537 Posts
                              Posted: July 7, 2007, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

well today after i left the gym i went to the gas station around the corner and i asked the clerk if anyone comes by to trash dive and she said that the store saves up all the tickets that are discarded and a woman comes in once a week and buys the trash bags of tickets because he has found $1000 and $300 winners in there. i dont know how much the woman pay for the bags each week.

Good!  Nothing wrong in that.

love to nibble those micey feet.