Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 9:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Complainers

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 10 years ago by sheepdogg.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #51688
April 19, 2007
200 Posts
Posted: July 12, 2007, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

um  Um  UM.....A long time ago I posted on LP:::::

There is so much good in the worst of us,

and so much bad in the best of us,

that it hardly behooves any of us, 

to criticize the rest of us!

Can someone please DISCUSS  the lottery?

well  said  but  urug200  ;

welcome  to  the  Twilitezone  nope  make  that  the  COMPLAINT  ZONE ;

I  WANT  TO  POST  YOUR    words   ON  HOW  TO  BE  LUCKY 

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: July 12, 2007, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

The roses bloom......lol

United States
      Member #637
      August 28, 2002
      80 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2007, 9:48 am - IP Logged

And, speaking of bloomers.....

My cactus is in bloom,

My yukas are in bloom.

My hearty hybiscus are in bloom,

My night blooming ceries are in bloom,

Now, if only my NUMBER SELECTION WOULD BLOOM!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
        Member #41383
        June 16, 2006
        1969 Posts
        Posted: July 13, 2007, 10:24 am - IP Logged

The Complainers
        You're familiar with the complainers, grouches, and other negative types — there are sure to be a few among the people you know. According to these people, the only thing life has to offer is bad luck. Their principal characteristic is that they love to complain — finding a solution to their miseries would eliminate their primary reason for living! Their only mission seems to be to throw a bucket of cold water on anyone who demonstrates enthusiasm for anything. The problem is that their attitude is toxic: their illness is contagious — and therefore dangerous.

everyone  with  a  complaint  should  post  here  and  not  on  how  to  be  LUCKY  ; list  all  grips  here:

I know exactly where you are coming from, I used to post ideas here, some with pretty good relevence, and got tired of having to hold hands and 'painting pictures', that would tick off some, and I'd be on the defensive.  

I learned. 

ft pierce,fla
          United States
          Member #30785
          January 21, 2006
          2093 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2007, 10:40 am - IP Logged

YOU CAN’T AFFORD THE LUXURY OF A NEGATIVE THOUGHT

In any given moment, there is ample evidence to prove that life is a bed of thorns or a

garden of roses. How we feel about life depends on where we place our attention, that is,

what we focus upon.

Why is it no one ever sent me yet One perfect limousine, do

you suppose? Ah no, it's always just my luck to get One

perfect rose.

DOROTHY PARKER

Did you ever notice that every time you are given a rose, the stem is covered with thorns?

(If you take the thorns off, the flower wilts more quickly. Florists know this, which is

why they leave the thorns on.) Do you say, "Why are you giving me this stick with thorns

on it?" Of course not. You admire the beauty of the rose. Even if you prick yourself in

your enthusiasm, it never seems to hurt--you are too engrossed in appreciating the rose

and the person who gave it to you.

Right now, in this moment, without moving from where you are, you can find ample

evidence to prove your life is a miserable, depressing, terrible burden, or you can find

evidence to prove your life is an abundant, joyful, exciting adventure.

Let's start with the negative. Look at all the imperfections around you. No matter how

good anything is, it could be better, couldn't it? Look for dirt, disorder, and dust. See all

the things that need cleaning, repairing, and replacing? An endless array of clutter, chaos,

and catastrophe assaulting your senses. And all those

damn damn alliterations in this paragraph.

Dis-gusting.

Now, explore the same environment with an attitude of gratitude and appreciation.

Look around the same area you just surveyed and find the good. You can start with

whatever you're sitting or lying on. It's probably softer than a concrete floor. Look at all

the other objects you use but take for granted--glasses (both seeing and drinking), tables,

windows, the walls and ceiling sheltering you from the elements. Consider the wonder of

the electric light. A hundred years ago, you would have to have been very rich or very

lucky to have had even one. And you probably have more than one--and a TV and a radio

and many other electronic marvels.

What around you do you find aesthetically pleasing? A painting you haven't really looked

at in years? The detail work on the clothes you're wearing? A flower? A vase?

Wallpaper? Carpet? When was the last time you took a moment to appreciate colors?

One should sympathize with the joy, the beauty, the color of

life-- the less said about life's sores the better.

OSCAR WILDE

Did you notice that you tended to feel better when you focused on the positive things in

your surroundings? The process of focusing on the positive to produce more positive

feelings works the same with things even more intimate than your surroundings--your

body, for example.

If you look for all the things wrong with the body, boy, are you going to find them. Pains

here, bumps there, rough spots here, too much fat there--the list goes on and on (and, as

we get older, goes on and on and on and on).

But take a look at all that's right with your body. Even if you have a pain in your left foot,

you can be thankful there's not one in your right. How about all those processes we take

for granted? Digestion, circulation, respiration, assimilation, thinking-- yes, we think

without having to even think about it. And let's not forget the five senses. Some people

take them so much for granted they can't name all five without thinking, "Let's see, what's

the fifth one?"

It's as though there were two attorneys in your mind, one gathering evidence for "Life is

Awful" and the other gathering evidence for "Life is Wonderful." You're the judge and

can rule out any evidence you choose. Your decision is final. Which judicial ruling do

you suppose would lead to more joy, happiness, peace, ease, and health?

Try thinking of love or something.

CHRISTOPHER FRY

To focus on the positive is not to disregard certain warning signals of a negative nature

that, if ignored, eventually lead to inconveniences at best and disaster at worst. (If we use

these "negative" signals to avoid disaster, then they're not so negative after all. Some

even call them guardian angels.)

Let's say you're driving down the freeway and the little light goes on, telling you you're

running out of gas. I do not suggest ignoring that bit of "negativity" and focusing on how

wonderful it is that none of the other warning lights is on. I suggest you get some gas.

Here, by the way, is where negative thinking comes in. The negative reality is that you're

low on gas. Negative thinking begins the litany, "I wonder if I'm going to run out of gas

before I reach the next station. What will I do if that happens? I'm in the middle of

nowhere. What if some highway robbers get me? If I do get to a gas station, will it be the

kind I have credit cards for? I bet it will be more expensive than in town. I bet it will be

self-service and the pump will be dirty and my hands will smell funny after. I knew I

should have filled up in town. Why am I so lazy and stupid?" Etc., etc., etc.

During this inner tirade (which, for accomplished negative thinkers, takes place in under

five seconds) the driver, in his or her anxiety, usually speeds up, which only wastes gas.

We are wide-eyed in contemplating the possibility that life

may exist elsewhere in the universe, but we wear blinders

when contemplating the possibilities of life on earth.

NORMAN COUSINS

What I suggest is this: take note of the negative information, decide what to do about it

(whatever corrective action seems to be in order) and return to focusing on the positive

(in this case the music, the scenery, the passengers) while working on eliminating the

negative.

With medical conditions, it's good to keep track of symptoms, but it does no good to

dwell on them. The positive thinker might deny the early symptoms of a disease, making

a cure more difficult. The negative thinker might turn every mosquito bite into a killer

bee sting.

Positive focusers take a middle road. They note symptoms accurately so they can be

reported to their health-care provider. They make an appointment. Beyond that, there's no

point in dwelling on the symptoms, so they turn their attention to things more positive.

While we're considering the idea that there is sufficient evidence in any given moment to

prove that life is wonderful or that life is terrible, let's take a look at how this works even

closer to home: in our memories of the past and our anticipation of the future.

Here, too, we can muddle in the negative: "Tommy wouldn't play with me when I was

six." "I have to go to the dentist next week, and I hate the dentist."

Or, we can do positive thinking: "I'm winning the Oscar this year," when we've never

been in a movie. "I'm going hiking and camping next week," when we've just had major

surgery. "I have so many wonderful friends," when the phone hasn't rung in two weeks.

Or, we could try focusing on the good memories that actually happened and on realistic

plans we look forward to with pleasure. "That movie on TV last night was so good."

"Helen's coming to visit tomorrow; that will be nice." "The book I ordered should be

arriving any day."

Yes, it's good to "live in the moment," but who does that all the time? As long as you're

living in memories of the past and projections of the future, you might as well make them

happy memories and joyful projections.