Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What kind of car will you buy if you hit big?

Topic closed. 130 replies. Last post 9 years ago by hearsetrax.

Page 2 of 9
PrintE-mailLink

What kind of car will you buy if you hit big?

BMW [ 14 ]  [12.39%]
Lexus [ 3 ]  [2.65%]
Mercedes Benz [ 20 ]  [17.70%]
Aston Martin [ 8 ]  [7.08%]
Toyota [ 11 ]  [9.73%]
Honda [ 7 ]  [6.19%]
Ford [ 7 ]  [6.19%]
Lamborghini [ 7 ]  [6.19%]
A Hybrid Car [ 10 ]  [8.85%]
Drive the one I have [ 26 ]  [23.01%]
Total Valid Votes [ 113 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 14 ]  
four4me's avatar - gate1
MD
United States
Member #1701
June 18, 2003
8360 Posts
Posted: August 4, 2007, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

I opted for the Mercedes only because it's one of the safest vehicles.

People who wrote they would keep their current car. Ok I'll buy that! sentimental value and such but why on earth would you drive your current car when you have won the jackpot you can upgrade to a newer safer vehicle. Donate or give you old car to someone else.

When you win the big jackpot please consider buying a vehicle that will keep you and your occupants safe. Because with the way people drive these days you need a safe vehicle.

I realize that some people might opt for a fast flashy vehicle thats ok just be careful.

I like fast cars, bikes, and boats and i think I'm a pretty good driver it's not me i worry about when i drive it's the other drivers around me that get my full attention cause it's usually some idiot that hits your vehicle. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: August 4, 2007, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

four4me, I don't know where you got your information, but if you go to the government safety site, http://www.safercar.gov/  you can get a list of the ratings.  The Acura RL got the highest rating (5 stars) as did a few other vehicles.  I realize that the RL is more than I said I'd spend (around $45,000) but the TSX also got high ratings, just not 5 stars across the board.  Even the Hyundai Sonata at less than $20,000 got a high score.

"why on earth would you drive your current car when you have won the jackpot you can upgrade to a newer safer vehicle. Donate or give you old car to someone else."

Your post sounds as if the members here are all driving cars in poor condition without airbags and seatbelts.  My Camry got 5 stars in almost all categories.  Anyway, as someone once wrote "The only really safe car is the one that stays in the garage."  The reason I would keep my car is it has less than 30,000 miles on it, 4 new tires and it would make no sense to me to get rid of it.

I definitely agree with you about safety.  If I were driving an older model without front and side airbags or a high crash test rating, I would definitely buy a safer car.  That said, I don't have children and rarely have passengers in the back seat.  Anyway, I think you make a valid point and your heart is in the right place, but I disagree you have to spend a fortune to drive a safe car.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10348 Posts
      Posted: August 4, 2007, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

I'd probably get news cars for Mrs Coin Toss and mysel. The main criteria would be, in order:

Not on the 10 most stolen list (any insurance company will give you one)

Not a "flash" or "flaunt it" car - meaning not a "look what I bought with my lotto money" car- Maserati, Ferrari, Hummer,  etc...

Decent fuel consupmtion 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
        Member #52345
        May 21, 2007
        2657 Posts
        Posted: August 4, 2007, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

Red mog

safest 4x4 on earth Cool

and not on the most stolen list  

Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: August 4, 2007, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

I'd probably get news cars for Mrs Coin Toss and mysel. The main criteria would be, in order:

Not on the 10 most stolen list (any insurance company will give you one)

Not a "flash" or "flaunt it" car - meaning not a "look what I bought with my lotto money" car- Maserati, Ferrari, Hummer,  etc...

Decent fuel consupmtion 

Coin Toss, I also read there's a list of cars most likely to be stopped by a police officer.  I like red, but I've read that a red sports car is a magnet for traffic cops.

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: August 4, 2007, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

How about the new Moller's flying car?

flying car

The two-passenger, saucer-shaped craft, inspired by The Jetsons, is powered by eight of the company's Rotapower engines. The vehicle is designed to take off and land vertically, travel at ten feet in the air (in ground effect), and glide over virtually any terrain at 75 to 100mph. Moller expects the price to be around $100,000 if he gets enough orders for it. Get more details and watch

The link below shows a much sportier looking one that I would definitely buy.

http://www.moller.com/

Brazil
              Member #51781
              April 24, 2007
              384 Posts
              Posted: August 4, 2007, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

A popular one ... Maybe even a Honda vehicle (Moto).

Probably, I will get a Alcohol car or one that could use both alcohol or gasoline.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                Member #52345
                May 21, 2007
                2657 Posts
                Posted: August 4, 2007, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

How about the new Moller's flying car?

flying car

The two-passenger, saucer-shaped craft, inspired by The Jetsons, is powered by eight of the company's Rotapower engines. The vehicle is designed to take off and land vertically, travel at ten feet in the air (in ground effect), and glide over virtually any terrain at 75 to 100mph. Moller expects the price to be around $100,000 if he gets enough orders for it. Get more details and watch

The link below shows a much sportier looking one that I would definitely buy.

http://www.moller.com/

Conehead if i wanted a car that looked like a ufo I'd get anything newer then 2001 Green laugh

Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: August 4, 2007, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

Pac, the first thing I thought of when I used the link and saw the red car was the creature Jeff Goldblum turned into in The Fly.  I don't know why, but that's what it looks like to me.

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: August 4, 2007, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

Pac, the first thing I thought of when I used the link and saw the red car was the creature Jeff Goldblum turned into in The Fly.  I don't know why, but that's what it looks like to me.

I guess a drink in that contraption would be a no no...lol

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: August 4, 2007, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

yes, A fly over is prudent....lol

Grand Rapids, Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #53008
                        June 19, 2007
                        67 Posts
                        Posted: August 5, 2007, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Vehicles on my to buy list:  1 brand new Corvette, a Dodge Charger, a Hummer, and a Cadilac Escalade.  As you can see I wouldn't be concerned about gas with my vehicle choices.  Oh and I would probably buy some sort of "classic" muscle car.

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
                          Florence, Alabama
                          United States
                          Member #8658
                          November 13, 2004
                          1993 Posts
                          Posted: August 5, 2007, 12:40 am - IP Logged

hmmmm I'm trying to read these posts and watch a movie at the same time. The movie Bug. Anyway to the subject at hand, I'de get the new 2008 Honda Accord Coupe. Mr. Opportunity is knocking and I'm gonna answer.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

Brazil
                            Member #51781
                            April 24, 2007
                            384 Posts
                            Posted: August 5, 2007, 3:56 am - IP Logged

I was thinking ... When people say "gas", their are probably talking or writing about Gasoline.

When you are talking about gas, are you talking about gas like cooking gas? There are cars that traveler using cooking gas.

Petrol (and its derived products) is widely know in the industry. 

Hybrid cars, are you talking about what type of hybrid?

In fact, I also wanted some car that could use Solar Energy or Water.

There should be some cars that are "hybrid" and could use electric energy and some form of gasoline. 

Anyway, first I probably will need a Driver License.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: August 5, 2007, 7:15 am - IP Logged