Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What kind of car will you buy if you hit big?

Topic closed. 130 replies. Last post 9 years ago by hearsetrax.

Page 3 of 9
PrintE-mailLink

What kind of car will you buy if you hit big?

BMW [ 14 ]  [12.39%]
Lexus [ 3 ]  [2.65%]
Mercedes Benz [ 20 ]  [17.70%]
Aston Martin [ 8 ]  [7.08%]
Toyota [ 11 ]  [9.73%]
Honda [ 7 ]  [6.19%]
Ford [ 7 ]  [6.19%]
Lamborghini [ 7 ]  [6.19%]
A Hybrid Car [ 10 ]  [8.85%]
Drive the one I have [ 26 ]  [23.01%]
Total Valid Votes [ 113 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 14 ]  
sfilippo's avatar - skull
Oklahoma
United States
Member #33770
February 24, 2006
3146 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2007, 8:03 am - IP Logged

A Toyota for the wife and a GM truck for me.

Smiley Steve

Litebets27's avatar - power
    Maryland
    United States
    Member #10465
    January 14, 2005
    6065 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2007, 8:40 am - IP Logged

How about the new Moller's flying car?

flying car

The two-passenger, saucer-shaped craft, inspired by The Jetsons, is powered by eight of the company's Rotapower engines. The vehicle is designed to take off and land vertically, travel at ten feet in the air (in ground effect), and glide over virtually any terrain at 75 to 100mph. Moller expects the price to be around $100,000 if he gets enough orders for it. Get more details and watch

The link below shows a much sportier looking one that I would definitely buy.

http://www.moller.com/

I can visualize me fling down I-95 to work in the red one, at 0700. Uhumm, I wonder what the brakes are like?

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

Litebets27's avatar - power
      Maryland
      United States
      Member #10465
      January 14, 2005
      6065 Posts
      Posted: August 5, 2007, 8:42 am - IP Logged

I was thinking ... When people say "gas", their are probably talking or writing about Gasoline.

When you are talking about gas, are you talking about gas like cooking gas? There are cars that traveler using cooking gas.

Petrol (and its derived products) is widely know in the industry. 

Hybrid cars, are you talking about what type of hybrid?

In fact, I also wanted some car that could use Solar Energy or Water.

There should be some cars that are "hybrid" and could use electric energy and some form of gasoline. 

Anyway, first I probably will need a Driver License.

Green laugh

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8360 Posts
        Posted: August 5, 2007, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

four4me, I don't know where you got your information, but if you go to the government safety site, http://www.safercar.gov/  you can get a list of the ratings.  The Acura RL got the highest rating (5 stars) as did a few other vehicles.  I realize that the RL is more than I said I'd spend (around $45,000) but the TSX also got high ratings, just not 5 stars across the board.  Even the Hyundai Sonata at less than $20,000 got a high score.

"why on earth would you drive your current car when you have won the jackpot you can upgrade to a newer safer vehicle. Donate or give you old car to someone else."

Your post sounds as if the members here are all driving cars in poor condition without airbags and seatbelts.  My Camry got 5 stars in almost all categories.  Anyway, as someone once wrote "The only really safe car is the one that stays in the garage."  The reason I would keep my car is it has less than 30,000 miles on it, 4 new tires and it would make no sense to me to get rid of it.

I definitely agree with you about safety.  If I were driving an older model without front and side airbags or a high crash test rating, I would definitely buy a safer car.  That said, I don't have children and rarely have passengers in the back seat.  Anyway, I think you make a valid point and your heart is in the right place, but I disagree you have to spend a fortune to drive a safe car.

here is MSN lists of top rated cars also.

http://money.cnn.com/popups/2006/autos/iihs/index.html

what i said is is a generalization of how some people might want to think about when they win a major jackpot.

As an vehicular mechanic and machinist i can tell you no car is truly safe on the roads. Especially when confronted with some big trucks. We had a prominent orthopedic surgeon and his wife here in Maryland that was run over by and 18 wheeler while he was driving his Hummer H2 both were killed.

I have a family with children and grand children i bought a Kia Sedonia mini van new in 03 for the wife and kids while it is rated as one of the best mini's i don't feel safe driving it. 

When people win a major lottery and decide to buy a car/van/truck/suv or whatever, regardless of whom you are think about owning at least one safe vehicle as your daily driver. While i understand that many lottery winners buy all types of vehicles most probably don't even think about the safety factor. They just want a newer vehicle to replace their old one.

And even if you bought a new car a week before you win the lottery once you turn on the key and drive it off the lot it's used.

Basically what i am saying is no matter what you buy to drive remember that you are a millionaire and you must take care of yourself so you can live long enough to enjoy your windfall.

I heard about a guy who won some big bucks he decided he wanted to buy a new Harley Davidson. As he was leaving the dealership he gunned the engine dropped the clutch and about a 1/4 mile down the road from the dealership ran smack dab into a concrete bridge at about 100 mph. A few of the Harley dealers were on the lot watching him leave and saw the whole mess. I don't have to tell you the rest.

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
          Illinois
          United States
          Member #46704
          September 23, 2006
          3692 Posts
          Posted: August 5, 2007, 1:50 pm - IP Logged

Hmmm, you did say hit it big right, well Im digging that Benz Maybach (sp?)

or a Rolls Royce Phantom and you cant go wrong with the Bently, the sporty one

for me.  And I'd have to do a truck or two perhaps the Navigator or the Infinity truck

I do understand some of the conservative choices that alot of you made but whats the

point in being rich if Im not going to spend some.  Buying high end cars means they should

last.  I wouldnt purchase anymore after that though.  They dont appreciate like real estate

BUY CARS USEDWink

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

NY
            United States
            Member #31362
            January 28, 2006
            78 Posts
            Posted: August 5, 2007, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

1977 cadillac

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
              Member #28409
              December 15, 2005
              1198 Posts
              Posted: August 5, 2007, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

Do I really need to say why I would want the aston martin?

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

S.E.TN.
                United States
                Member #29824
                January 7, 2006
                29 Posts
                Posted: August 5, 2007, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

Well let's see: Mom wants a PT Cruiser, Dad wants a new Pickup, I want a Hybred and Escalade, and I would also like to fix up my Mercury Tracer. I love my little car it just whips in to those tight parking spaces. However my one dream car is a Dusenburgh.

Partygood luck to all that play!!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: August 5, 2007, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the link, four4me.  As I already wrote, I agree with you about safety.  That's a good reason to get a new car.  You also have to feel good about whatever you are driving.  People always told me what a great car a Camry is and I'm really not too crazy about the ride. However, the reason I wrote I'd probably hang onto it for a while is that I wouldn't want to begin a shopping spree or become frivolous with my money. Since I bought my car in 2006 and financed it, I'd be throwing money away, although I'm not upside down.  Yes, a car would make a great donation, as you suggested, so that's a possibility. My first thought was "if I claim my prize, take a vacation, buy a new car, jewelry, clothes, etc., I'll be traveling on that path to bankruptcy" like many of the winners we read about on this board.  So, even though I definitely would change my lifestyle considerably over time, I would want to do it slowly and prudently.  I was looking at all the foreclosures (a record number) and there are many homes in upscale neighborhoods being offered or auctioned.  Sometimes people think that only the working class can lose everything, but poor planning can have a dramatic effect on anyone.

A side note:  It's Sunday and I woke up to the sound of glub, glub, glub, which was my bathtub filling up with sewerage (again.)  The toilet didn't work either.  Thank goodness the people next door had the same problem, since I've been complaining for a long time.  Now maybe someone will take action.  Anyway, on days like this I wake up wishing I hit the big one last night.  A new car would be the last thing on my mind.  I guess it's all relative, isn't it?  I'd say "screw you" to the owner, rent a place on the beach and look for a house.  So I guess in that case I would be wasting a little money, but at least I could happily flush my heart out!

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                    Indiana
                    United States
                    Member #48725
                    January 7, 2007
                    1953 Posts
                    Posted: August 5, 2007, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

I would buy a 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and a 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640.Cool

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19825 Posts
                      Posted: August 5, 2007, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

It's nice to plan what to do if you win big, but it's nicer to win big first even if you don't have any plans.  Has anyone developed a plan to do that?

Jake's avatar - animal bird.jpg

United States
                        Member #2217
                        September 1, 2003
                        985 Posts
                        Posted: August 5, 2007, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

Another guilty pleasure, truly just for fun -  Mini-Cooper, Safety-Yellow, Coal Trim and Top, Chromed out. 

On no, not safe to drive, I'd just park it in the bed of my Tacoma or Dodge Hemi and carry it around with me. 

The best of both worlds.    Cool

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                          Member #52345
                          May 21, 2007
                          2657 Posts
                          Posted: August 5, 2007, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

I would buy a 2008 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 and a 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640.Cool

Roll Eyes lol  I hope not to see U here -> http://wreckedexotics.com  after U buy those toys

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                            Member #14
                            November 9, 2001
                            31347 Posts
                            Posted: August 5, 2007, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

another Toyota

love to nibble those micey feet.

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
                              Just outside of Cleveland, OH
                              United States
                              Member #54079
                              August 3, 2007
                              106 Posts
                              Posted: August 5, 2007, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

That looks like a SMART car's baby.!!  Saw one yesterday--they are scarey, but in a cute way.

LOL