Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Low profile or flaunt it?

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 9 years ago by WalesLottoMan.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Which would you be after winning a jackpot

Low profile [ 38 ]  [46.91%]
High profile [ 2 ]  [2.47%]
No one would know I won [ 15 ]  [18.52%]
Everyone would know I won [ 2 ]  [2.47%]
Somewhere in between [ 23 ]  [28.40%]
Other [ 1 ]  [1.23%]
Total Valid Votes [ 81 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10392 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2007, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

How would you behave after hitting a decent sized jackpot? When it came to cars, houses, etc...

Would the whole world know you had won, or would you be so low profile that if someone close to you told someone else you had won would they just be laughed at? 

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

KyMystikal's avatar - 1457224010054
    Florence, Alabama
    United States
    Member #8658
    November 13, 2004
    1993 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2007, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

This is a individual poll?? Me, I would be low profile but my wife would want to flaunt it.

I love doubles and remember, it's just a game!!!!!!

Dr Lottery's avatar - 10847
      Albany,Georgia
      United States
      Member #45615
      August 24, 2006
      2135 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2007, 1:45 pm - IP Logged

I don't think I would want anyone to know right off due to saftey reason !!

One day I will Hit BIG!!

Coastal Georgia
        United States
        Member #2653
        October 30, 2003
        1866 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2007, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

As low profile as possible.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1958 Posts
          Posted: August 6, 2007, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

I could care less about people knowing I won the lottery. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm going to go around yelling "I won the lottery! I won the lottery!" either. If they find out, they find out, if they don't, they don't.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19903 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2007, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

I would move to a neighborhood where everyone had a nice home, nice cars and money in the bank and no one was concern about their neighbors money.  If I won a lottery jackpot I have every intentions of enjoying the life style that can be afforded with that kind of money and not hiding in some neighborhood where I would be afraid the neighbors were going to ask for a loan or rob me. 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Super8's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Orlando
              United States
              Member #11094
              February 4, 2005
              338 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2007, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

I would keep the same profile I have now.  Just with more security.

Super8

"Fortunes are won... .and lost..."

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                nashville
                United States
                Member #49896
                February 18, 2007
                1181 Posts
                Posted: August 6, 2007, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

i voted i would be in between because i would want to enjoy my money but also not make myself an easy target for scam artists or other criminals

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                  Member #52345
                  May 21, 2007
                  2680 Posts
                  Posted: August 6, 2007, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

i voted i would be in between because i would want to enjoy my money but also not make myself an easy target for scam artists or other criminals

I Agree!

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
                    Just outside of Cleveland, OH
                    United States
                    Member #54079
                    August 3, 2007
                    106 Posts
                    Posted: August 6, 2007, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

Me, too.

In between, for me,would be the wisest path.  But I love to read stories about lottery winners who are either flaunting or flunking their opportunities--as long as it doesn't precipitate a tragedy (Like Jack Whittaker and others).

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: August 6, 2007, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

It's hard to hide behind the scene considering you have to appear in front of the press, telling the whole world you won, and now that a flood gate has opened...lol

And that's another good idea for a poll.

What's the difference between winners, and rich neighborhoods filled with millionaires. How is it, that the millionaires who worked for their money, are less susceptible to beggars?

Grand Rapids, Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #53008
                        June 19, 2007
                        67 Posts
                        Posted: August 6, 2007, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

I chose somewhere in between as I wouldn't be physically telling everyone or bragging, of course I think people would figure it out on their own once they see me driving all my exotic sports cars up to my brand new mansion Big Smile

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10392 Posts
                          Posted: August 6, 2007, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

Guru 101

"Of course, that doesn't mean I'm going to go around yelling "I won the lottery! I won the lottery!" either. If they find out, they find out,  "

Going back to the thread about cars, aren't some of those choices in what car a person would get if they hit a jackpot doing exactly that, saying, "Look! Look! I won the lotto!?

pacattack05

"Old money" considers lottery winners and "yuppies" who make a huge score in the stock market and such as the "Nouveau riche" (new money). They also see the nouveau riche as coming upon their wealth intantly or at least relatively quickly, and not having earned it or being born into it. Because of that, the "old money" sees the nouveau riche as not being able to handle it. 

There's a book called The Millionaire Next Door about all this, and it's fascinating. (We've discussed it before I think).

Consider once again the thread about what car would you buy with a jackpot. Most of those choices are defintiley "nouveau riche".  

The average millionaire next door owns a two year old American car.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                            Member #24380
                            October 21, 2005
                            623 Posts
                            Posted: August 6, 2007, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

PartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyPartyParty

PartyPartyPartyParty

PartyPartyPartyParty

PartyPartyPartyParty

for days and days after consulting with legal and financial counsel.  Then all would probably ask why I was so upbeat lately, then I would tell and share with the significant few family and friends that observed the change.  Tell emilygHyper thanks  for opening my world up to lottery systems, say hello to other favorite posters at LP and probably arrange to send them a reason to for days too!

Hyper

Party

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                              Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #48725
                              January 7, 2007
                              1958 Posts
                              Posted: August 6, 2007, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

Guru 101

"Of course, that doesn't mean I'm going to go around yelling "I won the lottery! I won the lottery!" either. If they find out, they find out,  "

Going back to the thread about cars, aren't some of those choices in what car a person would get if they hit a jackpot doing exactly that, saying, "Look! Look! I won the lotto!?

pacattack05

"Old money" considers lottery winners and "yuppies" who make a huge score in the stock market and such as the "Nouveau riche" (new money). They also see the nouveau riche as coming upon their wealth intantly or at least relatively quickly, and not having earned it or being born into it. Because of that, the "old money" sees the nouveau riche as not being able to handle it. 

There's a book called The Millionaire Next Door about all this, and it's fascinating. (We've discussed it before I think).

Consider once again the thread about what car would you buy with a jackpot. Most of those choices are defintiley "nouveau riche".  

The average millionaire next door owns a two year old American car.  

No. Me purchasing those cars would not be flaunting that I won the lottery. I should not have to keep myself from enjoying things that I've always wanted to enjoy, even though I know they are very expensive.

Gonna win.Big Smile