Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Low profile or flaunt it?

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 9 years ago by WalesLottoMan.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Which would you be after winning a jackpot

Low profile [ 38 ]  [46.91%]
High profile [ 2 ]  [2.47%]
No one would know I won [ 15 ]  [18.52%]
Everyone would know I won [ 2 ]  [2.47%]
Somewhere in between [ 23 ]  [28.40%]
Other [ 1 ]  [1.23%]
Total Valid Votes [ 81 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  

United States
Member #16612
June 2, 2005
3493 Posts
Posted: August 7, 2007, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

Everyone in my family thinks that I won the jackpot is my vote.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
    Wisconsin
    United States
    Member #1303
    March 27, 2003
    1508 Posts
    Posted: August 7, 2007, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

How would you behave after hitting a decent sized jackpot? When it came to cars, houses, etc...

Would the whole world know you had won, or would you be so low profile that if someone close to you told someone else you had won would they just be laughed at? 

Definitely low profile.  As in "become a hermit".

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Lucky Star's avatar - flower2
      Georgia
      United States
      Member #38040
      April 23, 2006
      1643 Posts
      Posted: August 7, 2007, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

As low profile as possible.

Ditto!!!!

Peace.  And, Good Luck!!!

Baton Rouge, LA
        United States
        Member #4602
        May 7, 2004
        699 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2007, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

Maintain a low profile here for reasons mentioned many times before.  Since my car is only 3 years old and doesn't have alot of miles on it, I'd keep it for a while but when it's time to replace it, I'd get something nicer, but not the likes of say Mercedes or Lexus.

As for my home, I'd probably stay here for a while and just fix the things that need fixing.  If I did start having problems with scammers, beggars, relatives, etc., I'd move somewhere else, preferably out of state to a place where nobody would look for me, and perhaps follow some of the advice offered in books on privacy like this one: http://www.privacycrisis.com.

I just want to do my thing and mind my own business, without anyone on my back.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
          Member #28409
          December 15, 2005
          1198 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2007, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

I chose somewhere in between. There are those that "would know" and those that I would actually flaunt it to. Why? because what is the point of winning if you can not make all of your dreams come true? It's not like you would own the world or anything,come on ! Almost every actor/actress in a major movie makes more every year than you would net with an average lottery win. It's a lot of money, but it doesn't merit celebrity status., Do they hide in a corner of the world and pretend they have nothing? No. And they make way more than we would win. Look at Oprah. She earns over 200 million a year. (A YEAR!) I think we could learn alot from the actors/actresses and folks like Oprah.

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: August 8, 2007, 12:04 am - IP Logged

I would live well, but I definitely wouldn't tell anyone I won the lottery.  I'm not the "flaunting" type anyway. 

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
              Washington State
              United States
              Member #33973
              February 26, 2006
              347 Posts
              Posted: August 27, 2007, 12:55 am - IP Logged

Definitely low profile.  As in "become a hermit".

I'm already practically a hermit, so I'd just continue my same habits.  Though Washington State does allow people to claim a jackpot in trust, they can still release the names of individuals named in the trust and require them to appear in a press conference.  If the jackpot was big enough, they probably would require the photo session.  In that case, I'd try to lie low until I got my money, then go get a facelift, breast lift and tummy tuck.  And then move to another town.  By then no one would recognize me from my picture!  LOL 

As to type of car I'd drive, my 15-year old vehicle needs replacing, so I'd buy a new one, but probably wouldn't pay over $30,000.  My new house would be nice but probably no more than $500,000.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                Member #15309
                May 13, 2005
                307 Posts
                Posted: August 27, 2007, 6:48 am - IP Logged

I'm low profile now, and I'll be low profile then.  That doesn't mean I'm cheap.  I like to travel first class, stay in first class hotels, eat in fine restaurants, not because I want to flaunt it, but because I like to be comfortable, less stressed and get better service.

I drive a well-maintained white luxury car and a well-maintained white van, not because I want to flaunt it but because of the same reasons, comfort, less stress, and I get better service from attendants. 

I wear more expensive clothes, but not the trendy and flashy ones.  I find they wear longer and I can wear them whether I'm in a business function or just casual atmosphere.  Same with shoes.  I wear the more expensive ones because they are more comfortable and last longer.  I do not wear outfits that have their brand names prominently displayed.  On the contrary, I avoid these outfits.

My house is not flashy either.  But it is in a well-maintained respectable neighborhood of people of similar pursuasion as me.

I do not think my habits will change just because I won the jackpot.

Sun Smiley             

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #1340
                  April 6, 2003
                  2450 Posts
                  Posted: August 27, 2007, 8:20 am - IP Logged

It would be more important to me to have the bulk of the winnings working for me to yield interest that I could live off of without ever having to work for someone else.

The amount of bling would be directly proportional to the amount won after taxes. If the cash value doesn't allow for 40,000,000 to stay tucked away in a CDARS acct, then the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo must regrettably stay in the dealer's showroom.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

ConstantlyB's avatar - chi
                    Wilson
                    United States
                    Member #54516
                    August 21, 2007
                    2802 Posts
                    Posted: August 27, 2007, 10:58 am - IP Logged

It would be more important to me to have the bulk of the winnings working for me to yield interest that I could live off of without ever having to work for someone else.

The amount of bling would be directly proportional to the amount won after taxes. If the cash value doesn't allow for 40,000,000 to stay tucked away in a CDARS acct, then the Saleen S7 Twin Turbo must regrettably stay in the dealer's showroom.

Okay....since I'm  new to LP and none of ya'll know me, I'm gonna tell the truth! I would go from one extreme to the other. Screaming in joy,  crying in joy....quaking with fear....in joy.

That would have been me before joining LP.

Now that I know better......with the help from all of you....I'd do what is most sensible.  Go ahead and do the research....better educate myself with other options so I wouldn't blow the money and end up in somebody's psychiatric ward.

I have spent $1 on a little green notebook and have entitled it: WHAT TO DO AFTER MY LOTTERY WIN

Winning the lottery and not being prepared would be like: Going grocery shopping without a list of needed items and on an empty stomach!

AND EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT'S A NO-NO!!!

As far as the profile being either high or low......somewhere middle of the road. Go ahead and get the PR over and done with .......but definitely move.

"MAKE THAT MONEY YA'LL"

wisdom from Tyler Perry's Madea:"It doesn't matter what people call you....it's what you answer to."

Honolulu
                      United States
                      Member #54717
                      August 27, 2007
                      8 Posts
                      Posted: August 27, 2007, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

I would flaunt it in some way as getting a nice, big house in the millions. As for cars, I wouldnt get anything too flashy. I wouldnt go around telling people I won the lottery though. The only people who will know will be my immediate family.

United States
                        Member #10438
                        January 13, 2005
                        431 Posts
                        Posted: August 27, 2007, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

all in how much is won  2 mill heck flaunt it 200 mill you better hide it

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10354 Posts
                          Posted: August 27, 2007, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

I would flaunt it in some way as getting a nice, big house in the millions. As for cars, I wouldnt get anything too flashy. I wouldnt go around telling people I won the lottery though. The only people who will know will be my immediate family.

deadbunny

Unless you're known in business or as an invesotr or something, you win a jackpot and go out and buy a house in the millions, haven't you in effect just told everyone you've won the lottery?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Honolulu
                            United States
                            Member #54717
                            August 27, 2007
                            8 Posts
                            Posted: August 27, 2007, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

deadbunny

Unless you're known in business or as an invesotr or something, you win a jackpot and go out and buy a house in the millions, haven't you in effect just told everyone you've won the lottery?

Coin Toss,

You are correct and people will start to wonder where I got the money to buy such nice, big house.  They can assume how I got it but I will not tell them that I hit the lottery or anything. For all they know it can be my mom's place or something.

SoBe Yourself's avatar - lizard3
                              Baltimore
                              United States
                              Member #54999
                              September 5, 2007
                              47 Posts
                              Posted: September 24, 2007, 1:45 am - IP Logged

If it were the mega millions, then I am GONE! I'd probably end up leaving the country.

Now if it were the Multi-Match. I could probably B.S. my way out of it.

"Greed makes people do strange things."

-classic Peanuts cartoon strip