Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:34 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Systems say don't play like this....

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Yukio.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10351 Posts
Posted: August 17, 2007, 1:09 am - IP Logged

Illinois Little Lotto 8-16-07

WINNING NUMBERS: 24 - 26 - 28 - 30 - 34

PLAYER(S) MATCHING 5 OF 5 NUMBERS
    INCLUDING SUBSCRIPTION WINNERS:        1
 EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:        $175,000.00

WINNING TICKET(S) WERE SOLD AT:

604140    JENSENS AMOCO SERVICE      (QP)

All evens, then  first number drawn + 2 + 2 + 2 + 4

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Brazil
    Member #51781
    April 24, 2007
    384 Posts
    Posted: August 17, 2007, 1:14 am - IP Logged

Actually, there would be systems that are similar to this.

Like the counting system that will add some numbers to the first winner number in the sequence. Also this should remember the odds of some 'poorest' visualized sequence.

United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10351 Posts
      Posted: August 17, 2007, 1:47 am - IP Logged

I remember reading Gail Howard saying never play all evens or all odds.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19826 Posts
        Posted: August 17, 2007, 1:50 am - IP Logged

Systems don't really tell you how to play, they show that combinations with all even or all odd numbers and a range of ten don't come up often. 

I wouldn't start playing combinations with all even numbers and a range of ten in the future hoping to improve my odds of winning.

Gail Howard say a lot of things that obvious to the average lottery player like don't play all even or odds numbers, play all the numbers in the field not just birthday numbers and etc.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Brazil
          Member #51781
          April 24, 2007
          384 Posts
          Posted: August 17, 2007, 1:51 am - IP Logged

This if you don't play "electronic" (online) Lotto. Those games will feature a option to make a bet on all evens or all odds. There is options about the colours and the lump sum too ...

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
            Member #41383
            June 16, 2006
            1969 Posts
            Posted: August 17, 2007, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

There are all kinds of reports saying what NOT to play, but you can never say never.

The odds may be REALLY against a certain set of numbers, but the odds are never zero on anything, every time I say 'that will never happen', it usually does. (yes, I keep telling myself I will never win the lottery - that has not helped).

The odds of numbers 1-2-3-4-5 hitting are pretty astronomical, but they are definitely not ZERO.

There was a test game awhile back with 22-23-24-27-30, and I think there was another one with a tighter set, so it CAN happen.

But still, the odds are a lot better if you DON'T play games like that, but then again, the numbers don't know that. 

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: August 18, 2007, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

The odds of numbers 1-2-3-4-5 hitting are pretty astronomical, but they are definitely not ZERO.

The numbers 1-2-3-4-5 have the same odds of coming out as any other combo.

I've had this argument with a friend who has accumulated a lot of knowledge over the years, but he lacks common sense. Not just with this issue but on a couple of other basic subjects.

The reason 12345 hasn't come out yet is because it's not it's time yet. Just like last night's combo will probably not come out again for a very very very long time. So the odds of 12345 coming out is not astronomical, but the same as any other combo. It simply has a stigma attached to it, that's all.

My friend to this day stills disagrees with me. Just like the case of the time lapse photography debate we had. I stated that if someone was able to take a picture of a car that's not running and sitting in the same place once a day, for a hundred years, that they could put the pictures together and see the car oxidizing away, and basically falling apart.

He just couldn't get it if his life depended on it. I was simply trying to explain to him that it would be like a film where it takes 24 or so pictures or frames per second for the eyes to see a movie. All the person would have to do is take all those pictures (365,000 pictures), and he'd have a movie of the car falling apart, but he couldn't get it. Oh well.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49725 Posts
                Posted: August 18, 2007, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

That's like the guy who went to the construction site of his new house (everyday) at the same time of day and stood in the same location with his movie camera and shot a clip of the house construction. Afterward he had a time lapse movie of the house construction. Actually it looked pretty neat.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19826 Posts
                  Posted: August 18, 2007, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

"The numbers 1-2-3-4-5 have the same odds of coming out as any other combo."

That may be true but history has shown that a lot of other combos will come out before it ever does, which affirms some folks belief that the odds of it coming out are not the same. 

I tracked the winning numbers of the old Ohio Buckeye5 for over 10 years (2723 drawings) and during that time five other combos came out twice and the best 1-2-3-4-5 did was to match 3 thirty-three times.  However it has matched four in the new Ohio Rolling Cash5.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: August 18, 2007, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

"The numbers 1-2-3-4-5 have the same odds of coming out as any other combo."

That may be true but history has shown that a lot of other combos will come out before it ever does, which affirms some folks belief that the odds of it coming out are not the same. 

I tracked the winning numbers of the old Ohio Buckeye5 for over 10 years (2723 drawings) and during that time five other combos came out twice and the best 1-2-3-4-5 did was to match 3 thirty-three times.  However it has matched four in the new Ohio Rolling Cash5.

Of course you will have flukes. But that's not a good enough reason not to play awkward combos. I think it was about a week or so ago when I pointed out how the Florida Fantasy five had like 3 or 4 days straight, with all odd numbers, and the next day it was all even. Just the other day someone pointed out to a combo in some state which came out 2 days later.

I never said that flukes don't happen, like when a p-3 number comes out exactly straight the next day.

All I was saying is that no matter how unlikely it seems, 12345 has the same exact chance to come out than any other combo.

Just like 123 has the exact same possibility to come out like 592 does. It just takes longer in JP game because full circle takes much much longer than a p-3 game.

I don't know why anyone would want to play 12345 anyway. I found out a few months ago that somewhere around 7 thousand or so people play that combo on a regular basis in each game in every state...WOW!!. If they only knew how many others were playing the same combo...lol

I don't listen to Gail or anyone else. I've seen combos where all but the fifth number was below 10, like 2-5-8-9-30.

Anything can happen.

WIN  D's avatar - q05Q0
                      Stone Mountain*Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #828
                      November 2, 2002
                      10491 Posts
                      Posted: August 18, 2007, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

Odds don't change .....but the probability does.

If the fla Pick 3 game had its normal draw on Monday and the result was 123...... 

The next day before the draw .....the odds for 123 would be the same as Monday .....but the probability would not be the same.

If the the draws were 123 on Monday ....and 123 on Tuesday ..... the odds would not change just because it was now Wednesday morning. The odds would be the same as they had been all week.  One in a Thousand are the odds ..... every day for every number.   

The probability however ....  the probability that number 123 would be drawn Straight ....3 days in a row would be...... .......   remote ++ .  LOL       

The only real failure .....is the failure to try.                               

Luck is a very rare thing....... Odds not so much. 

Odds never change .....but probability does. 

Win d    

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7310 Posts
                        Posted: August 18, 2007, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

In 5/39 Pick-5 games there are 575,757 total combinations and 11,628 are all even numbers and 15,504 are all odd so I think the term unlikely is more appropriate. Over time combinations like 1-2-3-4-5 will be drawn but the problem is that even if a 5/39 Pick-5 game is drawn 7 days a week, it would still take over 1577 years before there are 575,757 drawings. That's not saying all the combos will be drawn either because we should expect to see some repeats.

I'm not doing the math on PB and MM but those worried about forming a trust so they won't have to get their picture taken holding a big check should.

I noticed Little Lotto only pays $100 for matching 4 and Ohio's Rolling Cash 5 which is the same game, pays $300.

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10351 Posts
                          Posted: August 19, 2007, 12:23 am - IP Logged

Little Lotto used to be a 5 / 30 game and switched to 5 / 39.

Before the matrix expanded, the top prize was detrmined by the amount of play and the lower tier (4 of 5) was determined by the number of winners - but there were only two lower tiers, 4 of 5 and 3 of 5 (I think 3 of 5 was always $5)

When it expanded the lower prizes became constants, $100 for 4 of 5, $10 for 3 of 5, and $1 for 2 of 5.  

So I guess everyone who was kvethching about not getting paid anything for hitting two numbers learned a real good lesson in "be careful what you wish for." 

I wasn't on LP when it was 5 /30, but from many things I've read here I certainly would have been playing it more agressively when it was.

A jackpot 40,000 to one odds still isn't any gift from Santa Claus but it certainly isn't a bad shot in "things lotto".  

Here's an e-mail from the Illinois lottery for 8-27-2003, the old game:

LITTLE LOTTO GRAND PRIZE PAYOUT FOR WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 27, 2003

WINNING NUMBERS: 02 - 30 - 24 - 08 - 07

PLAYER(S) MATCHING 5 OF 5 NUMBERS:        2
                           EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:        $28,955.00

NUMBER OF SUBSCRIPTION WINNERS:          0

WINNING TICKETS WERE SOLD AT:

150631    BURBANK FD & LIQS INC
                                      4818 W 83RD ST
                                      BURBANK/60459
                                      708-424-6321

121277    MINUTEMAN #14            (QP)
                                      4901 S CENTRAL AVE
                                      STICKNEY/60638
                                      708-728-1492

PLAYER(S) MATCHING 4 OF 5 NUMBERS:        207
                           EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:          $198.50

PLAYER(S) MATCHING 3 OF 5 NUMBERS:      5,751
                           EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:            $5.00

THE LITTLE LOTTO GRAND PRIZE FOR THURSDAY, AUGUST 28, 2003 WILL BE DETERMINED
                          BY TOTAL SALES FOR THE DRAW.

Notice the order of the wining numbers:

WINNING NUMBERS: 02 - 30 - 24 - 08 - 07

They used to be sent in the e-mails in the order drawn. I know people here have asked how they get get records of the sequence of drawings, they used to be given, for this game, anyway. 

Lep

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                            Dump Water Florida
                            United States
                            Member #380
                            June 5, 2002
                            3103 Posts
                            Posted: August 19, 2007, 2:07 am - IP Logged

Every lottery combination is unique and at the same time shares gross aspects with multiple lottery populations of combinations.

For example, a combination with 3odd/3even numbers is one among millions of 3odd/3even combinations, whereas a 0odd/6even combination is a member of a much smaller population. 

The 3odd/3even type combination is drawn 3 or 4 times in 10. The 0odd/6even combination is drawn roughly 1 time in 100. 

Is it more fun to have a small chance to win often or a much better chance hardly ever? 

Some people believe in the all or nothing approach. They wheel only odd or only even numbers figuring they have a decent shot at a 3#, 4# and 5# out of 6#'s prize often enough to be interesting.

Of course when you do this you have to let the chips fall where they may when it comes to say low and high numbers or the whole thing gets bogged down.  You can use a software that handles this like Lottohat, but it means playing a lot of tickets.

Of course if you play many tickets you can try to have proportional representation of all the more popular populations of lottery combinations.  This way you have a chance to win in most draws because you haven't been excluded before the first ball was drawn.

BobP

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: August 20, 2007, 12:24 am - IP Logged

Illinois Little Lotto 8-16-07

WINNING NUMBERS: 24 - 26 - 28 - 30 - 34

PLAYER(S) MATCHING 5 OF 5 NUMBERS
                                  INCLUDING SUBSCRIPTION WINNERS:        1
                               EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:        $175,000.00

WINNING TICKET(S) WERE SOLD AT:

604140    JENSENS AMOCO SERVICE      (QP)

All evens, then  first number drawn + 2 + 2 + 2 + 4

That has to be the rarest combination ever right next to 1-2-3-4-5 or with numbers less than 10...

Not only is rare because it starts with 24, but is all even too...A combination to start with 18+ is common in PIck5, but the equivalent of it in Pick6 (in a pick6/49 a combination that starts with 35+ i'll say) is even rarer...In a quick check up really quick i notice that in RNG a combination that will start with 18+ will appear more often than in a ball machine draw, but i did the check up only one time and that's not enough...But i really don't have time to do a test...Example...Looking at Ga's pick5, combinations that start/comence with 18+ appeared 8 times in 6 months (160 draws), while using research randomizer as a RNG (is where i get my RNG ouputs) combinations that start/comence with 18+ appear 8 times in 72/77 draws (i lost track of which one it was, 72 or 77 but the number doesn't matter is the quantity that matters)...But i could be wrong about all this and is only 1 state...