Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 7:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

travel to buy lottery tickets

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 9 years ago by DoubleDown.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

do you ever travel to buy lottery tickets?

yes [ 32 ]  [64.00%]
no [ 18 ]  [36.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 50 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
Tennessee
United States
Member #7853
October 15, 2004
11338 Posts
Posted: August 25, 2007, 7:16 am - IP Logged

do you ever travel to buy lottery tickets?

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
    Member #15309
    May 13, 2005
    307 Posts
    Posted: August 25, 2007, 7:25 am - IP Logged

i do not buy in the city where i live.

Sun Smiley             

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: August 25, 2007, 7:53 am - IP Logged

nowhere to go near me and i have two states that border me within 30 minutes in both directions.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
        A long and winding road
        United States
        Member #17084
        June 10, 2005
        4574 Posts
        Posted: August 25, 2007, 8:32 am - IP Logged

The sheer term "to travel" would mean all lottery purchases are done that way. I travel to my local convenience store. I travel down the block. Short of having a lottery terminal in ones house, all must travel.

To clean up the question I would round it to "travel more then 100 miles or to another state". Both of which I have done. I even traveled from the east coast to the west coast to get a California Lotto Ticket. (although I just happen to be there on business *grin*)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          51029 Posts
          Posted: August 25, 2007, 9:47 am - IP Logged

The sheer term "to travel" would mean all lottery purchases are done that way. I travel to my local convenience store. I travel down the block. Short of having a lottery terminal in ones house, all must travel.

To clean up the question I would round it to "travel more then 100 miles or to another state". Both of which I have done. I even traveled from the east coast to the west coast to get a California Lotto Ticket. (although I just happen to be there on business *grin*)

By your definition: Walking into the next room would be considered traveling. Thud

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
            FEMA Region V Camp #21
            United States
            Member #520
            July 27, 2002
            5699 Posts
            Posted: August 25, 2007, 9:49 am - IP Logged

I like my convenience store.  When Powerball jackpot gets high he sends a runner to IN or WI and buys a bunch of tickets to sell at his store.  He sells them in $2 and $5 increments...QP's of course.

That's the kind of service that would warrant a "tip". 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Laurel, MD
              United States
              Member #48488
              December 29, 2006
              22 Posts
              Posted: August 25, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

I live in Maryland and buy scratch-offs, raffle tickets and sometimes MegaMillions tickets here.  I commute through DC and buy raffle tix, sometimes PowerBall and a few scratchoffs there.  I work in VA but rarely buy tix there.  When I travel I tend to buy tix in whatever state I am in.  It's fun to see what other staes do that differs from my home area states. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: August 25, 2007, 11:32 am - IP Logged

No.  If I drove 100 miles each way at about 28mpg, I'd use approximately 7 gallons of gas or about $20 (not counting tolls)  I'd rather spend the money on something more productive. (like 20 more Lotto tickets!)

However, when I'm traveling in other areas of FL, I will Stop to buy a ticket. I drove about 5 miles to buy a ticket when the power was out after a hurricane!  If I am in another state, I need to figure what my chances of winning the jackpot are if I won't be there for the drawing, because if I only win a small amount (like $100) I would need to travel back to get it.  I'm not sure if a Lottery Office will validate a ticket & mail a check out of state, so someone else would need to answer that for me.  Where I currently reside is about 380 miles from GA and 650 miles from AL, and hopping on a plane to buy a lottery ticket (at least to me) is completely insane.

Regarding the meaning of "travel" you don't even have to go into another room.  Your mind can travel places just by dreaming.  So, yes, I travel every day to Tahiti and Bora Bora, but that's only after I buy my Lotto ticket!

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                  nashville
                  United States
                  Member #49896
                  February 18, 2007
                  1181 Posts
                  Posted: August 25, 2007, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

i travel to georgia or illinois for my megamillions tickets and i travel to kentucky sometimes for powerball but this is a powerball state. anytime i go out of town to visit friends or relatives i play the lottery if that state has it.

Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: August 25, 2007, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

I just came back to this thread and I noticed I typed "stop" with a capital "S" by mistake.  Maybe it's a sign from a higher power to save my money.

Or...it could be simply saying to me "get a life - stop posting."  Big Grin

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                      Member #50124
                      February 26, 2007
                      601 Posts
                      Posted: August 25, 2007, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

Nope.  The closest state with MegaMillions is a 5 or 6 hour drive one way.  Too far.  But if Oregon or Nevada had it, I'd travel when the jackpot was high.

I did travel to Oregon a couple months ago when their state lotto was over 30 million.  Got a Set for Life while I was there.  Oregon only does 6 advance draws and has 3 draws per week on state lotto, so I could only get 2 weeks of tickets.  Decided it wasn't worth it.  Like Justx, all I thought about was how many more Powerballs I could have bought with the gas money I spent. 

Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: August 25, 2007, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

I like my convenience store.  When Powerball jackpot gets high he sends a runner to IN or WI and buys a bunch of tickets to sell at his store.  He sells them in $2 and $5 increments...QP's of course.

That's the kind of service that would warrant a "tip". 

I agree that's great service and I would definitely tip someone who did that for me.  However, isn't this also illegal? 

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #6147
                          August 8, 2004
                          1396 Posts
                          Posted: August 25, 2007, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

Not sure about the legality, but isn't that wwhat Betslips does?  When I lived in MA, whenever the jackpot was large, people would come up from RI and sell the tickets at $5.00 a pop.  They would hit all the businesses in town and make a killing!  We were 2 hours from the RI border.  Now that I think about it, I could have turned that little thing into a lucrative business for myself!

Good Luck!

Stavros

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                            Member #50124
                            February 26, 2007
                            601 Posts
                            Posted: August 25, 2007, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Not sure about the legality, but isn't that wwhat Betslips does?  When I lived in MA, whenever the jackpot was large, people would come up from RI and sell the tickets at $5.00 a pop.  They would hit all the businesses in town and make a killing!  We were 2 hours from the RI border.  Now that I think about it, I could have turned that little thing into a lucrative business for myself!

Hmmm, scalping tickets is legal in Idaho, and we're a 10 hour round trip drive from the nearest MegaMillions state.  Hmmm.  Do I see a new business in my future?

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
                              Florida
                              United States
                              Member #6147
                              August 8, 2004
                              1396 Posts
                              Posted: August 25, 2007, 6:33 pm - IP Logged

Funny, right after responding to jstxploring, I was on the phone with my BIL.  He mentioned that his daughter is in her first year of college in VA.  I aked him to to ask her if she would go to DC to pick me up some raffle tickets!

Good Luck!

Stavros