Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

travel to buy lottery tickets

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 9 years ago by DoubleDown.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

do you ever travel to buy lottery tickets?

yes [ 32 ]  [64.00%]
no [ 18 ]  [36.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 50 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: August 25, 2007, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

No, Todd can answer this better, but it's my understanding that Betslips never actually mails the tickets over state lines.  The law isn't that someone can't be your representative and purchase tickets for you (like calling your brother-in-law) but that you can't send money or buy tickets using the US Postal service. 

That being said, I know some states (like Massachusetts) will mail season tickets to people all over the country, just not for MM.  Maybe as long as this guy isn't scalping, it's okay?  Interesting question.

"scalping tickets is legal in Idaho"

Really?  Do you mean re-selling or scalping?  When I think of scalping, I always think of something that is against the law.  Maybe I'm wrong, since there are companies that resell tickets for profit all the time (like for sporting events and concerts)  Often selling tickets for the same price as you paid is okay.  So it might apply also to the lottery.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: August 25, 2007, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

I think that what it boils down to is that if you win, you can always claim that you were driving through the state and bought some QPs. How will they ever know how you obtained the tickets? They can't prove it.

What I don't know is whether you can claim a ticket if you're not a resident of that sate in which you bought the tickety.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: August 25, 2007, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

Of course you can, Pac.  People from all over the world buy Florida lottery tickets.  A couple on vacation from Germany once hit the Lotto.  The only rule is that you purchase them while you are in the state, but you can always claim them no matter where you are from. 

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
        Florida
        United States
        Member #6147
        August 8, 2004
        1396 Posts
        Posted: August 25, 2007, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I think that what it boils down to is that if you win, you can always claim that you were driving through the state and bought some QPs. How will they ever know how you obtained the tickets? They can't prove it.

What I don't know is whether you can claim a ticket if you're not a resident of that sate in which you bought the tickety.

Pac....no need to be a resident of the state where the winning ticket was drawn.  It's done everyday, in every state.  You got the ticket, doesn't matter where you live. 

Good Luck!

Stavros

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
          Member #50124
          February 26, 2007
          601 Posts
          Posted: August 25, 2007, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

No, Todd can answer this better, but it's my understanding that Betslips never actually mails the tickets over state lines.  The law isn't that someone can't be your representative and purchase tickets for you (like calling your brother-in-law) but that you can't send money or buy tickets using the US Postal service. 

That being said, I know some states (like Massachusetts) will mail season tickets to people all over the country, just not for MM.  Maybe as long as this guy isn't scalping, it's okay?  Interesting question.

"scalping tickets is legal in Idaho"

Really?  Do you mean re-selling or scalping?  When I think of scalping, I always think of something that is against the law.  Maybe I'm wrong, since there are companies that resell tickets for profit all the time (like for sporting events and concerts)  Often selling tickets for the same price as you paid is okay.  So it might apply also to the lottery.

The Rolling Stones played here about a year ago, and a bunch of dumbasses bought up blocks of tickets thinking they could rip off their fellow concert-goers by selling them at double the price in the parking lot before the concert.  Turns out, TRS aren't as popular as they used to be, and the concert was far from a sell-out and these dumbasses lost their azzes on the deal.  lol

Anyway, the local news did a live remote from the concert site and you could see dozens of people in the background trying to sell their horded tickets.  The reporter called it scalping and said they had checked with law enforcement officials and found that it was perfectly legal, even if they were charging more than the face value of the ticket.

However, I have no idea if the law applies to lottery tickets.  

United States
            Member #17555
            June 22, 2005
            5582 Posts
            Posted: August 25, 2007, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Pac....no need to be a resident of the state where the winning ticket was drawn.  It's done everyday, in every state.  You got the ticket, doesn't matter where you live. 

So what's everyone wurreed about????

What?

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
              Florida
              United States
              Member #6147
              August 8, 2004
              1396 Posts
              Posted: August 25, 2007, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Alfred E Neuman Bush Parody

Good Luck!

Stavros

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23273 Posts
                Posted: August 25, 2007, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

I like my convenience store.  When Powerball jackpot gets high he sends a runner to IN or WI and buys a bunch of tickets to sell at his store.  He sells them in $2 and $5 increments...QP's of course.

That's the kind of service that would warrant a "tip". 

Eek. That's illegal. Hopefully the guy does it discreetly.

The scenario you're outlining is exactly the scenario that the ticket laws were meant to outlaw. (Remember, the Internet wasn't around at the time the laws were written.)

The Betslips model does not carry tickets across state lines, so the law is not violated.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: August 25, 2007, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

Eek. That's illegal. Hopefully the guy does it discreetly.

The scenario you're outlining is exactly the scenario that the ticket laws were meant to outlaw. (Remember, the Internet wasn't around at the time the laws were written.)

The Betslips model does not carry tickets across state lines, so the law is not violated.

Loopholes like the one you mentioned in the last line is why the government is taking action. They don't cross state lines, yet they pay the winners. Go figure. Must be really good lawyers.

MissNYC's avatar - diva
                    Westchester, New York
                    United States
                    Member #49345
                    January 27, 2007
                    168 Posts
                    Posted: August 25, 2007, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

By your definition: Walking into the next room would be considered traveling. Thud

LOL that was great!

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

Honolulu
                      United States
                      Member #54717
                      August 27, 2007
                      8 Posts
                      Posted: August 27, 2007, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

I would have to travel over 3000 miles to get any sort of lotto tickets.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                        Member #50124
                        February 26, 2007
                        601 Posts
                        Posted: August 27, 2007, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

I would have to travel over 3000 miles to get any sort of lotto tickets.

Oh, bummer!  I hadn't even thought about our poor friends in HI who are kinda out in the cold.  Any chance you'll be getting lottery anytime soon?

Honolulu
                          United States
                          Member #54717
                          August 27, 2007
                          8 Posts
                          Posted: August 27, 2007, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

Oh, bummer!  I hadn't even thought about our poor friends in HI who are kinda out in the cold.  Any chance you'll be getting lottery anytime soon?

"I hadn't even thought about our poor friends in HI who are kinda out in the cold"

haha...That made me chuckle

But in any case I usually by the MM (for 26 drawings) when I visit NYC. Other than that I have my mom by them for me.

United States
                            Member #16612
                            June 2, 2005
                            3493 Posts
                            Posted: August 30, 2007, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

My vote is yes. I usually walk a very short distance to buy a lotto ticket and/or get the draw results.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                              Tennessee
                              United States
                              Member #7853
                              October 15, 2004
                              11338 Posts
                              Posted: August 30, 2007, 7:07 pm - IP Logged

when we say 'travel' we don't mean a walk to the store.we usually mean out of state......