Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL 2 of 3: Switching to computerized drawings

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 9 years ago by bigato1010.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Would you spend MORE/LESS money on tickets if your state changed from ball drawings to computerized?

I would spend MORE money on tickets [ 10 ]  [5.05%]
I would spend LESS money on tickets [ 142 ]  [71.72%]
I would not change the amount I spend on tickets [ 46 ]  [23.23%]
Total Valid Votes [ 198 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23274 Posts
Posted: August 28, 2007, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Assuming your state uses mechanical ball drawings currently, woudl your spending habits change if your state changed to computerized drawings?

Please indicate what effect the change from ball drawings to computerized drawings would have by choosing one of the three poll choices above.

Also, please participate in the other two polls posted.

POLL 1 of 3: Computerized drawings vs. ball drawings
http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161745

POLL 2 of 3: Switching to computerized drawings
You are currently viewing this poll

POLL 3 of 3: Switching to mechanical ball drawings
http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/161743

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
    ORLANDO, FLORIDA
    United States
    Member #4924
    June 3, 2004
    5912 Posts
    Posted: August 28, 2007, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Not only spend less, I would quit playing.

Luminus's avatar - ouskuu

United States
      Member #51269
      April 3, 2007
      529 Posts
      Posted: August 28, 2007, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

The lottery fairy can use whatever tricks, balls, or computers she wants to.  I'll break her nonetheless!Yellow Eyes

spy153's avatar - maren

United States
        Member #28409
        December 15, 2005
        1198 Posts
        Posted: August 28, 2007, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

voir-vous dans mes reves!Cool

Columbia City, Indiana
          United States
          Member #2978
          December 9, 2003
          381 Posts
          Posted: August 28, 2007, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

A valid response has been ommitted: I would spend NO money.

The Hoosier Lotto jackpot is slowly and steadily approaching a mathematically impossible fifty million dollars, and I can state with a clear conscience that not even one of those dollars is mine. I simply refuse to play a game I KNOW I can't win. Indiana players stand a better chance of hitting four numbers in the PowerBall game than we do of hitting a Hoosier Lottery Daily-3 box bet.

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

Miss Bee's avatar - strawberry
            nashville
            United States
            Member #4990
            June 8, 2004
            1376 Posts
            Posted: August 28, 2007, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

I played both draws mid and evening usually spent around 50.00 now that Tn has gone computerized I have only played 3 nights and only one number.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: August 28, 2007, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

i have spent less!

you hear that mrs. hargraves or mrs. paul are whatever your name is this week.that new husband of yours has you making bad decisions......

isn't hargraves the last name of the man who gets his head chopped off for being so evil and mean at the end of the movie slingblade by karl childers?

United States
                Member #9579
                December 12, 2004
                2121 Posts
                Posted: August 28, 2007, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

i still think the computers pick the numbers that not many people have,then they let those balls roll out,from a secret area underneith otherwise,you'd have like 50 winners in a big 300 million lottery drawing.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                  Harbinger
                  D.C./MD.
                  United States
                  Member #44103
                  July 30, 2006
                  5583 Posts
                  Posted: August 28, 2007, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

i still think the computers pick the numbers that not many people have,then they let those balls roll out,from a secret area underneith otherwise,you'd have like 50 winners in a big 300 million lottery drawing.

That's absurd. What does that change?

The lottery would benefit from that.

United States
                    Member #9579
                    December 12, 2004
                    2121 Posts
                    Posted: August 28, 2007, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

jarasan,you must work for the lottery i think.of course the lottery benefits from it,they're not in it for us!

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                      Harbinger
                      D.C./MD.
                      United States
                      Member #44103
                      July 30, 2006
                      5583 Posts
                      Posted: August 28, 2007, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

jarasan,you must work for the lottery i think.of course the lottery benefits from it,they're not in it for us!

Yes, I do work for the lottery, every time I buy a ticket.

Benefit, as in good publicity.

The jackpot is the same no matter how many winners hit the top prize in the game you were referring to, the more the better. The jackpot gets split, it is only more paperwork, a $320M jackpot split 50 ways is $6.4M per ticket which is good for all involved.

Your recurring postulate that all lotteries are devious and corrupt is troll-like and counter-productive.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: August 28, 2007, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

i have spent less!

you hear that mrs. hargraves or mrs. paul are whatever your name is this week.that new husband of yours has you making bad decisions......

isn't hargraves the last name of the man who gets his head chopped off for being so evil and mean at the end of the movie slingblade by karl childers?

Thanks for the laugh, Mike.  Definitely a family resemblance here!  LOL

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23274 Posts
                          Posted: August 28, 2007, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

A valid response has been ommitted: I would spend NO money.

The Hoosier Lotto jackpot is slowly and steadily approaching a mathematically impossible fifty million dollars, and I can state with a clear conscience that not even one of those dollars is mine. I simply refuse to play a game I KNOW I can't win. Indiana players stand a better chance of hitting four numbers in the PowerBall game than we do of hitting a Hoosier Lottery Daily-3 box bet.

Please answer "LESS" if you would not spend anything after the switch.  (Assuming you spend something today.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                            Magnolia, Delaware
                            United States
                            Member #18795
                            July 20, 2005
                            789 Posts
                            Posted: August 28, 2007, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

Columbia City, Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #2978
                              December 9, 2003
                              381 Posts
                              Posted: August 29, 2007, 11:50 am - IP Logged

Please answer "LESS" if you would not spend anything after the switch.  (Assuming you spend something today.)

I did answer "LESS" in the poll. My comments were not meant to criticize the pollster.

Having already been through this in my home state (they didn't tell us about the switch until after the fact), I was compelled to point out that spending NO money on the games makes a stronger statement, and is much more effective, than spending less. The lotteries will never hear us if we keep handing them our money. Even if we spend less, we're still playing, and we're still buying tickets, so the lotteries correctly believe everything will be all right if they stay their present course. If you want the lottery to return to mechanical draw machines, then STOP BUYING THEIR TICKETS! Learn to play poker. Enter sweepstakes and contests. Spend your lottery dollars in another state that clings to the ancient technology (they HATE that). Flip coins with your neighbor. Do whatever you have to do to break yourself of the habit of handing your money to people who truly believe you're the most gullible, moronic saps on the planet (my apologies to morons everywhere).

Without players, there can be no lottery. Imagine, as I do, a day in the not-too-distant future. A day when your state lottery hasn't sold a single ticket for ANY game, not even scratch-offs. Big deal. Cancel the drawings, since there's no prize pool. It's only one day; a simple anomaly that couldn't possibly repeat itself in a thousand years. But they don't sell any tickets the next day either. Not one single dollar has been deposited in their coffers in two days. No profit and, more importantly, no operating capital, which means no payroll, no contract payments and no money to keep the lights on. The Hoosier Lottery grosses around two and a half million dollars a day ($850 million/365), so that would be roughly five million bucks WE'VE taken from THEM. 

It's fun to think about such a scenario, but I'm no idiot; I fully realize this will never happen. Most people can't overcome the fear that the number they were going to play will hit if they don't buy a ticket. I suggested in another thread that the time for us to pull together as a lobby has arrived, but no further comments on the subject have appeared in my inbox.

Even so, I can say this with absolute certainty: Your state lottery doesn't care what you want, and they never will, as long as you continue to give them your approval and support by buying their products. This membership has the ability to bring about the changes we've been discussing for the past few years. We have the power and the sheer strength of our numbers to force RNG states to revert to mechanical drawings. What we sorely lack, however, is the willingness and discipline to follow through as a cohesive unit to achieve our common objectives. As I write this, 88 people have responded to this poll; 88 members out of 50,000. Gee whiz, with that kind of overwhelming participation, I can't imagine why RNG's are becoming more popular with state lottery commissions. 

Instead of buying tickets, why not just send a check to your local school district every month? This way, you'll save yourself the frustration of checking tickets that are off by one digit every day, and some kid might actually learn something in public school. 

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim